User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Big C

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Big C

Off the back of half-heartedly watching SU2C last night, I was wondering if there is anyone on the board who hasn't been impacted in one way or another by Cancer?

My sister had thyroid cancer a few years back which is relatively small time in the grand scheme of things.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dad had Hodgkin's when I was a kid but was cured. I can't think of anyone other than that.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some aunts and uncles to it, one of them was in her 30’s. A friend of mine has stage 4 bowel at the minute and the wife lost both parents to it when she was way younger. That said, very lucky the parents or siblings haven’t had anything so far.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mate Calum's mum died of asbestos related cancer when he was 18, and our other more oblivious mate continues to call him Big C, I don't think Cal minds too much but I internally cringe every time

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dad died a few years back, started with lung cancer, spread very quickly to his stomach and back

Mum has cervical about 10 years ago, but fortunately, docs did a hysterectomy and got rid of it.

One of the girls at work, just 32, has just been diagnosed with colon cancer. It's fucked up.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dad had bladder cancer which we thought he beat but it spread to his lungs which managed to get him.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My old man died of it when I was 19. It's actually just gone 15 years ago last week. He had lymphoma. I can't remember whether it was Hodgkins and Non-Hodgkins. I'm pretty sure it was whichever is the rarer of the two (RL might know the answer to that) if there is a "rarer" version, I just seem to remember that being told to me back then.

He got it in remission a couple of times but it came back and got him eventually. I get the impression the long term prognosis for him by the time they caught it was never really very good, but they didn't really tell me that at the time.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dad is in hospital with it right now, though he's had his op and seems to be doing well bar the fact that he can't speak and is eating through a tube.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It got all of my grandparents. Bodes well.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My grandad and uncle (his son) both died of lung cancer but both also smoked like chimneys. That is about it in the family I think, fortunately. My Grandad was 79, so a decent innings. Ny uncle late 50s but managed about 5 years after his initial diagnosis.

My mate from work was diagnosed with it and died within 12 months, more than a colleague he was someone I had been away with on various dos home and abroad, it was pretty shocking. He died during the height of Covid so everyone recorded videos for him, which was difficult (because it was basically the last thing you ever got to say to him).

I think even though suffering would be horrible at least if you manage a few years after diagnosis you can get your ducks in a row, to an extent. I know of someone getting diagnosed at a doctors appointment and dying within 6 weeks, grim as fuck.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a close friend die of brain cancer (or a tumor, I don't think it was ever established which it was) a few years ago and apparently my Grandad had some sort of cancer when he died but he was 92 so that's hardly surprising.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dad's going in for chemo next week. Hopefully the course he's on sorts it out as the surgeon doesn't fancy the op.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tree had cancer aswell, put me back on the top of the cunt/cretin list for forgetting that one.

And my Dad reckons he had skin cancer on his nose but he is a mad cunt so not sure how genuine that was. He reckoned he cured his hepatitis with some black balls from the chinese medicine shop once.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    My dad's going in for chemo next week. Hopefully the course he's on sorts it out as the surgeon doesn't fancy the op.
    Hope it works out for your dad, Shinners.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None close to me since my grandmother died of it 26 years ago. Very lucky (so far).

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My great nan went of it in her eighties about twenty years ago, and my current nan in her eighties seems to have 'some skin cancer' removed from her face once a year, but other than that none of it around my family. Everyone I know seems to have some family horror story about it though.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've probably seen more of it due to wor lot having big boomer families. I've probably had half-a-dozen aunts and uncles with it.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a thread. Fucking hell.

Soz lads. Hope you're all alright.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Auntie had it in her mid 60s a few years ago. Was given 6 months and lived about 3 years with the thing just sat there, riddled through her, until one day it struck and she was bed ridden within a weekend and spent the next fortnight dying.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brother's at the time 21-year-old best mate was grim. Butter wouldn't melt either. Really fucking cruel.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My aunt died 3 weeks ago.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m a cert for it and I’ll save all my lolling for then.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    My aunt died 3 weeks ago.
    My condolences.

How big a part do genetics play?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc View Post
    My condolences.

How big a part do genetics play?
    Yeah, hope you're alright.

On the genetics, there was some kerfuffle about my Auntie telling my side of the family due to the possibility it could be in us, but that didn't really go anywhere so not sure. Would be curious to know.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    I had a close friend die of brain cancer (or a tumor, I don't think it was ever established which it was) a few years ago and apparently my Grandad had some sort of cancer when he died but he was 92 so that's hardly surprising.
    All cancers are tumours (not QUITE strictly true depending how you define tumour but close enough), but not all tumours are cancerous.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers lads. It was the third time it had come back. She was down to 6 stone by the time she chose to call it off. Horrible disease.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oof. This is my dad's second bout. Funnily enough, it doesn't hit as hard second time around.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear man. He’ll say he doesn’t need help or support but he does. Make sure you’re there for him.

My aunt spent huge amount of time on her garden to distract her.

4 days before she passed she said ‘I thought I loved my garden, I just realised I loved seeing my family in it more’.

Has stayed with me every day since.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    All cancers are tumours (not QUITE strictly true depending how you define tumour but close enough), but not all tumours are cancerous.
    He had radiotherapy (with a sweet bespoke mask) to try and treat it which is why I thought it may have been cancer but I guess the treatment for a tumour is the same either way. He would get seizures during the night and just didn't wake up one day, I never asked his family what the official cause was because when is the right time for that and ultimately it doesn't really matter.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mum’s had on-off bouts of breast cancer past 10 years or so, but she’s pretty in the clear now (well, for now, as you always have to think about it).

But the last year has been much worse for my Dad. He’s had back troubles for a decade or so, and last summer, he started getting a real bad back again, losing the feeling in his feet/legs and becoming increasingly immobile.

He got in touch with his consultant thinking it was more of the same. Turns out it was a bloody great tumour - lymphoma - and lots of scattered, small, associated cancer. He started chemo/immunotherapy just before Christmas last year. He had a bad reaction to one of the treatments on Xmas day so 9am Boxing Day morning, we were packing him off for hospital for 4/5 days. Thankfully he’d just got a new iPad so he watched every bit of football going. But it was all just made that bit more grim by Covid - worries about him getting it while still severely immunosurpressed (he still is) and not being able to visit.

Good news - he responded vvv well to the treatment and got given about as good news as he/we could have hoped for this summer. He’ll be around a good while yet, all being well.

Sorry to hear about everyone else’s experiences too - I realise I’m at the luckier end of the spectrum here. It’s just the ultimate fucker.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    He had radiotherapy (with a sweet bespoke mask) to try and treat it which is why I thought it may have been cancer but I guess the treatment for a tumour is the same either way. He would get seizures during the night and just didn't wake up one day, I never asked his family what the official cause was because when is the right time for that and ultimately it doesn't really matter.
    Usually non-cancerous brain tumours are surgically removed and that's the end of it. Occasionally they need radiotherapy if not all of the tumour can be removed.

It's most likely it was a malignant tumour (i.e. cancer) but hard to know for sure without all the details.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    My dad is in hospital with it right now, though he's had his op and seems to be doing well bar the fact that he can't speak and is eating through a tube.
    "Cancer is horrible" is obviously not a new or interesting take but fucking hell it's a grim old thing, isn't it?

Since the above my dad's gone through the radiotherapy, been told in February that as far as they can tell he's all clear, that became "actually it's back and super aggressive and terminal." And now it's at the point where he could go any day.

I've been lucky to have not known anybody that close who's gone through anything like this before and the rate of change you can see in somebody is staggering.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah it's awful. Sorry to hear, Ian.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is going to become a scary thread to see bumped as everyone on here gets old.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frig. I don't think I'll ever be ready for that.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear that Ian.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Cancer is horrible" is obviously not a new or interesting take but fucking hell it's a grim old thing, isn't it?

Since the above my dad's gone through the radiotherapy, been told in February that as far as they can tell he's all clear, that became "actually it's back and super aggressive and terminal." And now it's at the point where he could go any day.

I've been lucky to have not known anybody that close who's gone through anything like this before and the rate of change you can see in somebody is staggering.
    I'm sorry.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s an awful thing, heart goes out to you Ian. Horrible experience to see someone you love like that.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to hear it Ian. I obviously don't know the circumstances here, but they told my mum that she had 3 to 6 months to live and she clocked another 6 years. That seems quite common too. You never know. Hope for the best and all that.

Not that it makes it any easier. In some ways the not knowing is the worst bit. Absolute cunt of a disease.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's fucking shit. Sorry to hear, Ian.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spoke to my dad before and they seem happy with his results. He'll be back and forth for testing but hopefully the radiotherapy he had in November did what it needed to. Hopefully your old man can get some quality time on the clock, Ian.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That wasn't the intent.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno what that is but regardless I just took it as you giving your own update as you'd posted previously rather than whatever Lewis is saying.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m just trying to work out if that’s a young Michael McIntyre.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear that, Ian. Hoping for the best.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear, Ian. Cancer really is a cunt.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you or your dad thought bout getting onto a clinical trial, Ian? It’s a long shot but there are success stories. PM if you want to have a chat as I have some experience in the field.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could be wrong, but I read Ian's message as things had reached there stage where there was nothing left that could be done.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My great aunt just passed after battling with cancer on and off the past seven years. We had gone out to Italy to see her a few weeks back which ended up being a few days before it had spread rapidly again. Like you say Ian, the transformation is incredible. She still had a lot of her personality but was half the person. Sorry about your dad.