User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jimon Iberico - Jim's Super Spanish Road Trip

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jimon Iberico - Jim's Super Spanish Road Trip

Today I started in some fucking Catalan backwater hotel at 8.30am, with an instant coffee (made by pouring the pellets into existing hot water, apparently that's how they do it over here) and no breakfast because the only things available were coco pops or slimy 'cheese'. Me and the boss visited two customers in the morning. The boss said to me 'Make sure you do all the talking' as despite being a Spanish resident and having worked there on and off for 30 years, he doesn't speak a single word of it. So I began talking and each time I did, the boss would cut me off in his dogshit wide boy English. I have known for a long time that he does not listen to me but now I know that I am not special and he does not listen to anyone, not even his own customers. Little progress was made in either meeting. The boss's brand of east end sales patter has obviously got him so far in life but I am afraid the sun is setting on all that kind of thing, as the looks on our customers' faces foretold. The boss refers to our company's MD as a 'facts and figures man' in a tone that suggests he thinks this is a bad thing.

Next I had to call the day's third customer and tell him we wanted to come three hours earlier than advertised. He said sorry, it's impossible. The boss said 'Insist!' I did not insist, so we stuck to the original time. We then sit outside a pavement café in the middle of Barcelona for two hours, eating squid, until the guy is ready. The squid is 12 euros for six squid, fries and salad - this is not a tourist quarter. The boss goes on to explain to me that he has no real interest in the places he visits, he just wants to make money. 'Everywhere's the same, when you get down to it. I'm no tourist,' he says, which is apposite, because over his left shoulder I can see several spires of the Sagrada Fucking Familia looming over him like some sort of neo-gothic Ctuhlu.

Having seen the third guy, the boss walks out and says 'He's full of shit' (he was not full of shit). The next task, at 3pm, is to drive 300km from the centre of Barcelona all the way across the plains of Aragon to Zaragoza. This is the first time I have been in command of a left hand drive vehicle and driven on the right. A relatively straight road out of the city gives me a quick training course, but then an accident ahead means the satnav turns us around and takes us another way. I am calm about this, as I am about everything. The boss is not. Rapidly I discover he is of the genuine belief that his ten guineas worth of past trips, hazy brandy-stained memories and general bluster outweigh the might of a GPS navigation system operated via satellite, which, we must remember, is a complex technological object that humans have somehow fired into space, without consulting a single leather-jacket wearing salesman.

'This isn't the way!' the boss shouts, over and over again, as I embark on a route which, it turns out, is the way.

En route - which is mostly a two lane motorway involving three hours of overtaking fruit lorries and 'special convoys' while angry Seat drivers seethe into my rear view mirror - a Frenchman rings me. He had rung the office first, of course, but the useless fucks between them could not muster a single word of French and so one of them gave him my mobile number. We pulled over into a truck stop and I took the call. The Frenchman was angry because the useless fucks in the office had, in my absence, got his order wrong. I needed to take down the details and phone the office to set them right. By this point the boss had gone to buy some Haribo and my only pen had already exploded during the flight over and bled blue ink all over my pocket lining. I told the guy I would phone him back in two minutes. I quickly ran into the shop and, switching from French to Spanish, asked the attendant if I could borrow a pen. She pointed at a row of FC Barcelona and Real Madrid souvenir pens available for €2.50 each. I tried to banter her into a cheaper solution but none was forthcoming so I bought the Barça pen (perhaps their cut will get Ansu Fati his new contract) and went to make the rest of the calls.

On the way into Zaragoza I was so tired that I nearly drove into a truck. Once in Zaragoza we had to park in a tiny, unlit underground cavern. I had a meltdown while attempting to miss other cars, the boss basically hauled me out of the driver's seat and parked it himself. We went to reception to check in and he insisted, in English, that both our rooms be front-facing. I told her in Spanish that it didn't matter to me and if she could get one for the old man it might shut him up. She smiled. If I had been straight this could have been a good meet-cute (though I'm too old, fat and unattractive for her). I'm typing this on my phone in a hotel room. I'm meeting the boss for dinner in 30 minutes.

That was the first full day of a 6-day trip.

Travel.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a great time. Kiko was right all along.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeing the world.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel sorry for you but I'm looking forward to the other days' accounts.

Is this the guy who gave you money before?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Today I started in some fucking Catalan backwater hotel at 8.30am, with an instant coffee (made by pouring the pellets into existing hot water, apparently that's how they do it over here) and no breakfast because the only things available were coco pops or slimy 'cheese'. Me and the boss visited two customers in the morning. The boss said to me 'Make sure you do all the talking' as despite being a Spanish resident and having worked there on and off for 30 years, he doesn't speak a single word of it. So I began talking and each time I did, the boss would cut me off in his dogshit wide boy English. I have known for a long time that he does not listen to me but now I know that I am not special and he does not listen to anyone, not even his own customers. Little progress was made in either meeting. The boss's brand of east end sales patter has obviously got him so far in life but I am afraid the sun is setting on all that kind of thing, as the looks on our customers' faces foretold. The boss refers to our company's MD as a 'facts and figures man' in a tone that suggests he thinks this is a bad thing.

Next I had to call the day's third customer and tell him we wanted to come three hours earlier than advertised. He said sorry, it's impossible. The boss said 'Insist!' I did not insist, so we stuck to the original time. We then sit outside a pavement café in the middle of Barcelona for two hours, eating squid, until the guy is ready. The squid is 12 euros for six squid, fries and salad - this is not a tourist quarter. The boss goes on to explain to me that he has no real interest in the places he visits, he just wants to make money. 'Everywhere's the same, when you get down to it. I'm no tourist,' he says, which is apposite, because over his left shoulder I can see several spires of the Sagrada Fucking Familia looming over him like some sort of neo-gothic Ctuhlu.

Having seen the third guy, the boss walks out and says 'He's full of shit' (he was not full of shit). The next task, at 3pm, is to drive 300km from the centre of Barcelona all the way across the plains of Aragon to Zaragoza. This is the first time I have been in command of a left hand drive vehicle and driven on the right. A relatively straight road out of the city gives me a quick training course, but then an accident ahead means the satnav turns us around and takes us another way. I am calm about this, as I am about everything. The boss is not. Rapidly I discover he is of the genuine belief that his ten guineas worth of past trips, hazy brandy-stained memories and general bluster outweigh the might of a GPS navigation system operated via satellite, which, we must remember, is a complex technological object that humans have somehow fired into space, without consulting a single leather-jacket wearing salesman.

'This isn't the way!' the boss shouts, over and over again, as I embark on a route which, it turns out, is the way.

En route - which is mostly a two lane motorway involving three hours of overtaking fruit lorries and 'special convoys' while angry Seat drivers seethe into my rear view mirror - a Frenchman rings me. He had rung the office first, of course, but the useless fucks between them could not muster a single word of French and so one of them gave him my mobile number. We pulled over into a truck stop and I took the call. The Frenchman was angry because the useless fucks in the office had, in my absence, got his order wrong. I needed to take down the details and phone the office to set them right. By this point the boss had gone to buy some Haribo and my only pen had already exploded during the flight over and bled blue ink all over my pocket lining. I told the guy I would phone him back in two minutes. I quickly ran into the shop and, switching from French to Spanish, asked the attendant if I could borrow a pen. She pointed at a row of FC Barcelona and Real Madrid souvenir pens available for €2.50 each. I tried to banter her into a cheaper solution but none was forthcoming so I bought the Barça pen (perhaps their cut will get Ansu Fati his new contract) and went to make the rest of the calls.

On the way into Zaragoza I was so tired that I nearly drove into a truck. Once in Zaragoza we had to park in a tiny, unlit underground cavern. I had a meltdown while attempting to miss other cars, the boss basically hauled me out of the driver's seat and parked it himself. We went to reception to check in and he insisted, in English, that both our rooms be front-facing. I told her in Spanish that it didn't matter to me and if she could get one for the old man it might shut him up. She smiled. If I had been straight this could have been a good meet-cute (though I'm too old, fat and unattractive for her). I'm typing this on my phone in a hotel room. I'm meeting the boss for dinner in 30 minutes.

That was the first full day of a 6-day trip.

Travel.

Your bonus (presumably an extended pep-talk whilst sat an an even longer oak table?) had better be worth it?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One squid at a time. It's not very often the pen becomes the story, too.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tomorrow try more cuffawing.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tomorrow, get a Zaragoza pen.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm currently on 30 grand. If they're expecting me to do all this stuff in Paraguay etc that will probably need to treble.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Your bonus had better be worth it?
    He will be allowed to keep the pens.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent. Full update every day and we'll be needing an update on how dinner went too.

This trip sounds like fucking hell if you're with this cunt the whole time.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The boss said to me 'Make sure you do all the talking' as despite being a Spanish resident and having worked there on and off for 30 years, he doesn't speak a single word of it.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From 'The Boy Who Was El Rey' to 'Botswana' to 'Travel'.

Jimmy's still got TMD in him.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finding out I was on double what Jimmy is on has made me slightly regret quitting the job that made me miserable.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being the only fluent multilingual in that place is a bit of a red flag. Get out once your run out of stories, Jim.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there nothing else going that you could get out of that kip to? Or to hold them to ransom at the very least.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jimmy, can you livestream your day tomorrow?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get the boss to sign up here, we need new blood.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Is there nothing else going that you could get out of that kip to? Or to hold them to ransom at the very least.
    This is probably a 'test' for the next step up, but if the money's not right I'm done.

As for the boss, oh my lord. If I start speaking, he interrupts "Eh? Eh?" and then starts talking about something else. Then, when out for dinner tonight in some 1 euro per tapas dive, he says "What I've noticed about you is that you don't start conversations". He is the one who gave me money, yes, and also has batted off various attempts to move me in order to keep me working for him, so he must like me, but fucking hell.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    Jimmy, can you livestream your day tomorrow?
    If you like looking at the back of whichever lorries drive from Zaragoza to Madrid it will be must-watch TV.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was an entertaining read. What’s the point of the trip, anyways? Showing face after the pandemic? Renegotiating deals?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going through the motions because the people who run this company are 80+ and believe business can only be done face to face.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can almost guarantee the plot twist and the guy speaks fluent Spanish and knows you've been coating him off to the swarthy receptionists for a week

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy, make a fucking thread man.

Sounds like an excellent trip. Agree with Pepe and Giggles.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    which is mostly a two lane motorway involving three hours of overtaking fruit lorries and 'special convoys' while angry Seat drivers seethe into my rear view mirror.
    I drove from Barcelona to Madrid in one go a few years back and that part rings so true.

If the day 1 story was that good, I can't wait for the days when you'll be in Andalucia.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Can almost guarantee the plot twist and the guy speaks fluent Spanish and knows you've been coating him off to the swarthy receptionists for a week

Definitely thought this too.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "You do all the talking." Dead giveaway.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The worst part in it all for me is having to go for dinner with him when you've already spent the whole day with him. Even on a horrible work trip like that you need to be able to feel you're done for the day at finishing time.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. There's about 2 hours of switching off time per day if I'm lucky. I spent mine wandering around Zaragoza and writing that paean which was quite cathartic tbh.

Oh yeah, and he also supports the driving Big Three:

- no seatbelt
    - drink driving
    - talk on phone while driving

He called me a 'wuss' for not wanting to do 2 and 3.

He just told me a story over breakfast: "I had a dream last night that I was having a poo, and pearls started coming out of my bum. Must be wisdom."

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Expected in the office today and I've logged on and said it's slipped my mind. "Not to worry". One of my team is a PT/TT and she's fuming having crawled in for a 7am start in total darkness. Back to bed for me.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't suppose you could make the most of 1 and engineer a situation where he goes flying through the windscreen?

Also what was for breakfast today?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is excellent Jim, though I sympathise with your suffering the prose resulting from it is magnificent. By the end you'll have enough fodder for a Bill Bryson-esque treatise on the life of a travelling salesman in Europe, I'd buy it.

It is shit when you aren't left alone on these things, I had 6 weeks at training school in a hotel with an older bloke who was a nice fella but sometimes after dinner I just wanted to violently masturbate and watch Silent Witness in the aftermath, not have his particular brand of mild racism chirped at me for a further 3 hours before resuming early the next day. You shouldn't have put yourself down regarding the receptionist either, she wasn't your preferred flavour of course but I'm sure to her you seemed quite exotic with your fluent spanish and charm squeaking out from under your harried demeanour.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Breakfast in continental Europe is always the same: shit. They are in so many ways a vastly superior society to us, particularly due to being linguistically far less exposed to the tidal wave of balls that comes over from the United States. However, when it comes to breakfast, anything on a UK breakfast table is superior to anything on a Spanish one. Today I went for dry bread with jamon serrano.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Breakfast in continental Europe is always the same: shit. They are in so many ways a vastly superior society to us, particularly due to being linguistically far less exposed to the tidal wave of balls that comes over from the United States. However, when it comes to breakfast, anything on a UK breakfast table is superior to anything on a Spanish one. Today I went for dry bread with jamon serrano.
    I'm surprised this arse you're lumbering with doesn't just go to The Red Lion (or whatever typically-named English pub is nearest) or would the cost of a fry up in such a place cut into his profits?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bring on day 2!

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's in Zaragoza, not Benidorm.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hot dog sausages for breakfast are always an odd one but about the best option. Not sure if that’s a thing outside the Slav end enough.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Italian continental breakfast is alright if you aren't afraid of cold cuts. It's no fry up of course. Having seen what a shit show the operation is can you not negotiate more money when you succeed based on performance, sounds like it wouldn't be hard to improve.

More to the point with you language talents are there not cushier, better paid opportunities available? I was always lead to believe that when I was still excellent at languages at school (my Dad was shagging a french woman at the time so that seemingly improved my French by way of osmosis).

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, Igor.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. There's about 2 hours of switching off time per day if I'm lucky. I spent mine wandering around Zaragoza and writing that paean which was quite cathartic tbh.

Oh yeah, and he also supports the driving Big Three:

- no seatbelt
    - drink driving
    - talk on phone while driving

He called me a 'wuss' for not wanting to do 2 and 3.

He just told me a story over breakfast: "I had a dream last night that I was having a poo, and pearls started coming out of my bum. Must be wisdom."
    You say you want £90k per year for this? I can't help but feel you're still selling yourself short.

He's testing you, right? This can't actually be who he is.
    Last edited by Spikey M; 19-10-2021 at 08:19 AM.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brilliant stuff.

I noticed it in the other thread and didn't comment, but do you not get expenses for this? If so, if a pen is needed in the course of business and it's two euros fifty, you buy it.

And you might want to consider switching or find some eligible bachelors. Your language skills will get you everywhere, no matter what you look like.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and if you're the type who doesn't like to move jobs, I'd put my money on you running this company one day.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Brilliant stuff.

I noticed it in the other thread and didn't comment, but do you not get expenses for this? If so, if a pen is needed in the course of business and it's two euros fifty, you buy it.

And you might want to consider switching or find some eligible bachelors. Your language skills will get you everywhere, no matter what you look like.
    I'm carrying a shit ton of petty cash around with me so not out of pocket.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    The Relationships thread if Jimmy ends up with a Frenchman.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FRENCHman? How dare you? Jimmy would never.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When he tries to get Jimmy playing French cricket.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That really is very well written, Jim. I enjoyed that. You should aim for a long-form end product. It's got the makings of a cross between Hemingway and Hunter S. Thompson. Minus the bullfighting and the excessive drug consumption. Sort of a "Fear and Loathing in Continental Europe".

I look forward to further instalments!

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Steve Coogan's best character.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)