User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who's winning (losing?) the sack race?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Arteta

0 0%
  • Bielsa

1 9.09%
  • Bruce

3 27.27%
  • Farke

0 0%
  • Nuno

1 9.09%
  • OGB

1 9.09%
  • Xisco

0 0%
  • Somebody else

0 0%
  • Nobody's getting sack in October

2 18.18%
  • Turtle

3 27.27%
Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: October football: The Sack Race

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    '...and he's left me in charge, so "Mr Chorizo", or whatever you're calling yourself...'

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Why on earth is he clutching his face? The game's gone.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Neville
    I said a few weeks ago that the moment where they started to play half-decent teams, they're going to struggle... The performances have been so shoddy all season in terms of team performances... It's scrappy and scruffy to watch. When you play a team with a clear organisation and a methodology, you're going to get pulled apart and that's what happened here.
    Welcome to two years ago Gary you dickhead. Paulp Ogba wants him out get it sorted.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah this has all been the case since those first few weeks of Binman's cavalier free-scoring interim stint.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I wouldn't normally defend Neville, he's gone a lot further than most would already in criticising someone he knows, albeit not directly yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if he goes a step further on Monday Night Football and asserts that the binman must go.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Yeah this has all been the case since those first few weeks of Binman's cavalier free-scoring interim stint.
    People let him off with the embarrassing end to the 2018/19 season and blamed it on what he had picked up. That was reasonable, because they all just seemed weirdly unfit; although, as was pointed out at the time by us here and nobody else, as great as the 3-1 in Paris was, it was only necessary because of how comprehensively he had been out-tacticked in the home leg.

At the same time, it seems to have been completely forgotten though how bad they were in 2019/20 until Bruno Fernandes came in. They were fifth and closer to relegation than third-placed Leicester the day he made his debut, and it wouldn't be a stretch to say that the pandemic break saved him, because the end of that season was shit as well.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    While I wouldn't normally defend Neville, he's gone a lot further than most would already in criticising someone he knows, albeit not directly yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if he goes a step further on Monday Night Football and asserts that the binman must go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Neville
    They're nowhere near good enough out of possession. They're the weakest team among those near the top of the league without a shadow of a doubt for pressing... The pressure will build on the manager and the pressure will build on the players. They won't do anything with the manager. Ultimately, I think the club are stable in this respect in what's happened in the last 10 years. I think they recognise that they are going to go through these moments. They are integrating Varane, Sancho and Ronaldo and I feel they'll see it through but there is massive pressure.
    No chance. He thinks it's some teething issue and the man who hasn't looked like solving anything for three years is the man to solve it.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's not stupid, he knows what the problem is and he also knows that Man Utd will clearly sack OGB if the shit results continue. You might well be right that he won't say it outright though.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    At the same time, it seems to have been completely forgotten though how bad they were in 2019/20 until Bruno Fernandes came in. They were fifth and closer to relegation than third-placed Leicester the day he made his debut, and it wouldn't be a stretch to say that the pandemic break saved him, because the end of that season was shit as well.
    Yeah Fernandes (and Tony M clearly having been even more bored by lockdown than by football) basically was the second half of that season for us. Regardless, the flaws have been very clear for a very long time for anybody paying attention and not just going "yeah but he's signed some better players now!" as if he has any say in that.

I just don't know what it'd take for the Glazers to sack him. They clearly don't care about winning shit so how dire do things have to get this year for his job to actually be under threat? Because I doubt he's close to the sack right now.

Out of all the cups and at risk of not qualifying for the Champions League? Is Europa equalisation enough for him to just keep trudging on making the same mistakes? I've no idea.

I loved the Binman and if you'd told me I'd want him out as much as I have done for the last.... at least six months, maybe a year, I'd have said that couldn't possibly happen. We all knew there was a not insignificant chance he would be shit but I thought he'd at least be loveably hapless, not the full-of-himself nothing of a manager he's turning out to be.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know where this 'Glazers don't care so they won't sack him' thing comes from. They've sacked other managers, right?

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I just don't know what it'd take for the Glazers to sack him. They clearly don't care about winning shit so how dire do things have to get this year for his job to actually be under threat? Because I doubt he's close to the sack right now.
    I think this is the bigger problem from the ownership. They'll happily continue with him if he keeps getting them 4th or better because they're still getting that sweet, sweet, Champions League money. They don't care if he pushes on to win things or not. You're on the longest drought for a trophy of any sort that I can remember for United too and they don't even look remotely interested in it. It's quite bizarre.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    David Moyes was canned the minute Champions' League qualification was ruled out, and that seemed to be what did for 'LvG' as well (even with the FA Cup win), so they clearly put that in their contracts. It won't all turn to AIDS and fall to pieces like it did under Jose Mourinho, so guaranteeing mathematical sixth by April should be the clincher since he won't get back in through the trophy route.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    I don't know where this 'Glazers don't care so they won't sack him' thing comes from. They've sacked other managers, right?
    Lewis has covered my feeling on it on the United front and I've seen the Glazers not give much of a fuck about their NFL team for donkeys years because that's basically free money if you can afford the franchise in the first place. They won the Super Bowl last year but basically because they'd happened upon some good coaches, etc. and then went "Hey what'd happen if we signed the best player ever now he's available to us?"

It's been clear for a while that unless he keeps being allowed to plug in better players who sort it out themselves (see the Di Matteo 'tail wagging the dog' school of management*) Ole isn't winning anything anybody actually cares about.

* United do not have the on-field leadership / 'personalities' to make this happen.

I'd love to be wrong about all this, mind.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There’s a clause in all the mama gets contracts that they can sack em for nothing if they finish outside the champions league.

That’s when they’ll act.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great content.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Podence came on for Wolves and changed the game. Villa throwing that away brings a smile to my face. Once I go back to work on Wednesday, the villa fans will be emotional.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a night's sleep and I'm still emotional.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mellin posting at 5am saying he’s had a nights sleep is a sign of how much we’ve grown up.

My dad was at Baggies v Blues. Wish I was. You still in brum or no?

Edit: just seen in technically posting at 6am so the forum clock is ducked but the theme applies. Would love to grab a drink with you if you’re around when I get back.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That second Firmino goal is a bit lol rule wot but the real dickhead move with that rule is when Salah is allowed to capitalise on the error himself to score.

Pretty sure if the lunging defender grazes it into his path as well, and then he scores, he is also onside due to the 'deliberate play of the ball' shite [aka the Lovren/Kane debacle].

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The next US wonderkid Axel Kei made his debt for Real Monarchs last week. Born in Ivory Coast and definitely 13.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    13. :d

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look I'm not going to star=t calling people racist but lets have a look at Lukaku when he was 13.

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phonics is growing as a person. The old Phonics would have screamed "you vile racist!!!" followed by calling then a moron.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I wouldn’t. I wold have judged the situation based on who posted it.

For example,

You, dquincy, are a fucking moron.

Literally your problem arrives from me saying:

Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    I could have spent the last 70 years on angel dust and still have more synapses go off than any attempt you've had at a thought in the last decade.

And it remains true.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scratch that guys, he still hasn't learnt.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Emotional connection"

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Distanced himself"

Knew it was on. It's going to be glorious giving that insane has been billions to spend.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Mourinho with a lot of money would do well (again).

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When was the last time he was any good?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2nd season at United? Could argue he did to par at Spurs as well.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is Jack Rodwell broken?

His missus dragged him to Sydney to live and the 3 Sydney clubs have thrown in offers.

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport...-clubs-3420031

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Queenslander View Post
    Is Jack Rodwell broken?

His missus dragged him to Sydney to live and the 3 Sydney clubs have thrown in offers.

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport...-clubs-3420031
    Premier League Ben Simmons except not as good.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve just seen a tweet that says Ivan Toney is 5ft10 and Luke Shaw is 6ft1. My mind has been blown. I thought the former was at least 6ft2 and the latter 5ft9.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Mourinho is washed up and wouldn't be my first choice, but there's a good chance he could build something with us. There isn't a single player at the club that wouldn't be in awe of him and give everything they've got, then he could go out and get players he knows he can trust which would further entrench that ride or die mentality. It's probably his last shot at doing something incredible again.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Premier League Ben Simmons except not as good.
    Gotcha.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mourinho's done.

The players he trusted have long since got old or retired and he's left with Millennials that you just can't motivate in the same way, in and around that he's also the most toxic thing in football.

I might be wrong, but I suspect he's nailed on for this so we'll get to find out. It'll be fun whatever happens, at the very least.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never seen him as a long-term manager raring for a project. Still, the expectations might be different here. At least until the Saudis go nuts with their wallets.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They used to say Rafa and Moyes were done and the sport had moved past them too ��

Quote Originally Posted by Waffdon View Post
    I’ve just seen a tweet that says Ivan Toney is 5ft10 and Luke Shaw is 6ft1. My mind has been blown. I thought the former was at least 6ft2 and the latter 5ft9.
    Toney still multiple inches above the average obvs but yeah, that's mad.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who said that? Rafa's always been Rafa and Moyes was never done, he just should never have been given a top job in the first place.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People definitely said Moyes was done. Come on now. I can’t be I there’d to search for your posts about him.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People definitely said Moyes was done. Come on now. I can’t be I there’d to search for your posts about him.
    Nope, if that's what you recall then you're projecting an opinion I held about him as Man Utd manager on him managing any club.

And how would that work? Just because he's failed (so miserably) at Man Utd, doesn't undo all the good work he's done with smaller clubs. I suppose the Man Utd experience could have broken him, but he probably wasn't there long enough.

Mourinho's a completely different case, he's spent what, the last 10 years pissing almost everyone off at the club's he's managed time and time again, while playing football that doesn't hold a candle to what he used to oversee.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m not accusing you but he was (not that I agreed) a laughing stock for a long time.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was but bear in mind there was also that daft stint in Spain and a fairly rough spell in Sunderland.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moyes' reputation suffered beyond his time at United. He was a laughing stock in Spain, and then got Sunderland relegated.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice to see an old face. He was brilliant for a short spell back in the day.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's aged into that face surprisingly well.

FA Cup First round draw was today. Sudbury are the lowest definitely through. Marske held Gateshead yesterday which means a replay on Tuesday to decide who faces Altrincham.
    Last edited by Shindig; 17-10-2021 at 12:35 PM.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unplayable at Euro 2008.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Harold claimed he was the best player in the league once.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was struggling to see who that was and was thinking to myself that Mark Viduka has bucked the trend and shed the pounds after hanging up his playing boots (although his 4 were at Elland Road and I guess more like 20 years ago).

Those were a mad few days in football, wasn't there another 4-4 (6-5) with Chelsea is the Champions League a few days later?
    Last edited by niko_cee; 17-10-2021 at 12:55 PM.