User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who WON the window?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brighton: £50m?? Well in, lads.

0 0%
  • Chelsea: Pending results of The Operation

3 16.67%
  • Leeds: Danj-Ames! Danj-Ames! Danj-Ames!

0 0%
  • Liverpool: Because FM contract renewals are the best bit!

1 5.56%
  • Manchester United: Ronaldo 1-0 (plus some other nobodies.)

5 27.78%
  • The Villa: Young.

2 11.11%
  • Tottenham: Levy will be delighted to keep Charlie Kane around.

1 5.56%
  • West 'Am: Big Mark Noble's presence is like three new signings.

3 16.67%
  • You didn't list [somebody else] Webly, you cunt.

0 0%
  • If we don't talk about 'tiers' ever again it'll be too soon.

3 16.67%
Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,150 of 1480

Thread: Septemball: The window closes. Thank fuck.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Louis van Gaal missed fourth on goal difference and won the FA Cup with Chris Smalling and Daley Blind at the back, past-it Michael Carrick and Wayne Rooney in midfield, and Anthony Martial as his star forward. He would trainer-coach this squad into challenging.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Louis van Gaal missed fourth on goal difference and won the FA Cup with Chris Smalling and Daley Blind at the back, past-it Michael Carrick and Wayne Rooney in midfield, and Anthony Martial as his star forward. He would trainer-coach this squad into challenging.
    He bought Schneiderlin, Herrera and Schweinsteiger. If he ended up with Carrick and Rooney in midfield it's his own fault.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He also pulled the plug on the deal we had in place to sign Kroos.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dire Maria was the only massive fee, and that was working until whatever happened there. The rest of that is exactly what I mean. Morgan Schneiderlin was shit and 'LvG' had probably never heard of him, but he was good for Southampton who were good at signings at the time so what passed for the United transfer board went in for him; Ander Herrera was already in the works before he arrived; and Bastian Schweinsteiger didn't cost that much and was good until his injuries started.

Sixteen million on Marcos Rojo is another good example. Either nobody really good was available, their scouting was bollocks, or because they wouldn't spend forty on a single defender; but they needed one and ended up with him because he sort of knew about him and wanted a left footer. I'm not saying these were good signings, but they were made under very different circumstances.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem I'd have with OGS were I a Utd fan is the same I have with Southgate being an England fan, in that doesn't seem to be any sort of learning from the mistakes happening. It's one thing to be given a chance above your station and inevitably make mistakes, but inexcusable to keep said job if you're not showing development on it.

The next major tournament should be huge for Southgate, as should this season for OGS, but I think it's almost a case of come what may they'll both be in a job after that.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is everyone wanking on about "low blocks" these days?

Also will it lead to the return of proper wingers and centre forwards smashing in headers?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And that quote epitomises my point...

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    It's such a dumb fucking way of wording what it means.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it two banks of four?
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Parking the Bus I thought, in whatever formation.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Defending deep. Presumably it has spawned out of/as antithesis to the modern predilection for 'high lines'.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Small time pettiness.

I couldnt even tell you where in a Australia Western United are based off the top of my head.

South Melbourne FC rejects the plans of Western United FC to use Lakeside Stadium
    South Melbourne FC notes the announcement by Western United FC of its intention to use Lakeside Stadium for a select number of games in the 2021/22 A-League Season.

Lakeside Stadium and Albert Park is the home of South Melbourne FC and has been for over sixty years. Our licencing arrangements with Lakeside Stadium and the State Government ensures it will remain this way for decades to come.

South Melbourne FC has a stadium, we have a home and we are proud to call it our own.

Executives at Lakeside Stadium and Melbourne Sports Centres have advised South Melbourne FC that contrary to the announcement made by Western United FC, there is no written or signed agreement in place with Western United FC or the Australian Professional Leagues to allow Western United FC access to Lakeside Stadium for the 2021/22 A-League Season.

South Melbourne considers Western United to be a direct competitor in the Melbourne, Victorian and Australian football market. Their acceptance to the A-League was based largely on the commitment to having a purpose-built football stadium constructed in Melbourne’s west. It is approaching three years since the A-League expansion clubs were announced and construction works have still not commenced. Western United’s use of Lakeside Stadium is not acceptable and South Melbourne FC will vigorously oppose any such plans.

South Melbourne can confirm that it will be exercising all rights to prevent Western United FC from playing A-League matches at Lakeside Stadium.

The club will provide its members, players, parents and supporters with further updates as information is available .
    https://www.smfc.com.au/south-melbou...eside-stadium/

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What an overreaction to United's second team losing in the league cup. Hang the manager!

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the way bam is trying to paint the picture their kids beat Ronaldo, Fernandes, and the lads.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post

Also will it lead to the return of proper wingers and centre forwards smashing in headers?
    No. That would be good and fun and therefore we're not allowed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    It says a lot that a) he doesn't know we actually have some okay-to-decent crossers if you weren't relying on Martial to get on the end of it and b) that he thinks it's the only way you can get round that.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the crack with 'Donny' then? Is he just a bit of a piss and wind merchant who looked good in Holland or is he being chronically mismanaged?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like the former at this point.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say it's largely impossible to know given he only gets a few more starts a season for United than I do. And when he does play he looks out of position to me. He might well be pants, I really don't know how you'd know based on what chances he's had for United. You'd think he should be the backup for Fernandes but Solskjaer would much rather than run him into the ground than actually manage him and tell him he's having a fucking rest more often.

I think when he gets the chance to play further up he looks decent and gets into good positions in which he is never then given the ball. Saw the point made yesterday that he seems to be expecting quicker, give-and-go type passing, does that tally with how Ajax played when he was there? Certainly there were a few last night where he played the ball, immediately made a good run only to look back and see whoever he'd given the ball to had farted about and lumped it sideways.

But I may be looking for that stuff because I would like him to be given a proper chance. I never saw him much at Ajax.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Ajax side have't really kicked on that much. I've no idea what De Ligt is up to, but we all know about Juve's current travails, De Jong is obviously quality but is mired in an even worse situation in Barcelona, Ziyech has never done all that much for Chelsea, Van Der Beek gets about 3 games a season, has anyone actually come out of that side smelling of roses?

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "Donny" crowd are proper retards. He's looked wank every time he's played. He's not owed a position in the first XI, so if he does fuck all when he's given a chance, that's on him. It's like people expect him to be given a 20 game run at the detriment of the team, just so it's "fair".

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a side built on a system. They've all gone off and are playing for clueless managers at an elite level so it was obviously gonna be that a bunch of milkybar kids were going to look completely out of their depth.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking that the other day. I guess it's part of the Flaw with the Ajax way of doing things. You learn how to play for Ajax, rather than actually learning to play. If your role at Ajax fits in perfectly with another team, then great, but these guys do seem to get found out when they move abroad a hell of alot.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe the other red flag was that the side was built around the heroic performances of Dusan Tadic, who whilst no mug, had hardly set the world alight at Southampton.

Is David Neres still there? He looked quite good in a more direct, might translate into other leagues sort of way.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's a bit harsh SvN to completely say it's on him. I have no idea if Donny Hide and Seek is a bad player in training but it can't help if you're only likely to get about 10 minutes every 15 games, not a chance you're going to get any form doing that.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    United just have no idea what they want to do. Van de Beek is probably decent, but doesn't suit the rapid counter attacking stuff which is the best thing about United. Neither does Ronaldo really though so yeah.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reading this piece from/about Clattenburg's book has reminded me how much I fucking love refereeing anecdotes. I recognise the bitter, petty tone of everything so clearly from my cricket umpiring circles.

https://theathletic.com/2829801/2021...gue-officials/

There was the time Graham Poll reported Clattenburg to the PGMOL for turning up to a game with a man bag. Poll had once been Clattenburg’s hero, someone whose presence left him starstruck. “He said it was not appropriate for a referee,” Clattenburg writes. “But what was appropriate? Did you have to dress like a fucking square? After that, I could not trust him.”
    Clattenburg also fell out with Howard Webb after one game at Euro 2012 when the man who refereed the 2010 World Cup final went to a post-match party without letting his colleague know. Clattenburg had spent the night, alone, at his hotel, wondering why Webb had not returned his calls. He didn’t ever forgive Webb for blanking him.

“I did well for him in the Euros as an additional referee. However, when Howard doesn’t need you, he doesn’t speak. He’s very unique in this. Everyone sees Howard as a nice guy, and he is. I would never really criticise him as a person, he’s just someone I won’t engage with in the future because I don’t need Howard Webb, the same as he doesn’t need me. Which is fine.”

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Howard Webb anecdote is top notch

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tell me you’re small time, without telling me you’re small time.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought that might have provoked a response. Poor Ole.

Feels like there should be a game tonight. Brentford v Liverpool was primed for it (both played on Tuesday) and then you could avoid the weird double lunchtime effort they have tomorrow, moving one to the 5.30pm slot.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He’s probably right and Klopp knows what he’s at, but it is very small time to actually say it.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about since January, but the sort of clamp down on 'ANY CONTACT IS A FOUL!' this season probably doesn't help them. And Rashford has been injured and he won quite a few didn't he?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Liverpool fans haven't got a leg to stand on calling out other managers for complaining. Klopp will whinge about literally anything going.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    Liverpool fans haven't got a leg to stand on calling out other managers for complaining. Klopp will whinge about literally anything going.
    Knows what he’s doing and how to do it. Solskjaer hasn’t a clue yet.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah him complaining about stadiums and the weather was genius mind games.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regardless, you get away with being a twat more if you're actually good.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure anyone's complaining, more laughing at.

Klopp is a first rate whinger though. As is every other manager and football fan going. That's the way it is.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    Thought that might have provoked a response. Poor Ole.

Feels like there should be a game tonight. Brentford v Liverpool was primed for it (both played on Tuesday) and then you could avoid the weird double lunchtime effort they have tomorrow, moving one to the 5.30pm slot.
    That’s a bit odd. Are both on tv? If not, why is Man Utd not on at 3pm?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    Not sure anyone's complaining, more laughing at.

Klopp is a first rate whinger though. As is every other manager and football fan going. That's the way it is.
    Plus they're answering the same questions every week. I'd be starting shit for the fun of it.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was moved cause of some gig. Won't be on TV.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coventry even being in the championship rather snuck up on me, let alone them being joint top. Apologies Wullie.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Understandable, this time four years ago we were piddling round league 2. Now it's 5 home wins out of 5 and actual queues of people waiting to get in, never would have thought it

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite excited for Chelsea v Man City. Chances of Pep doing something mental?

Also quite annoyed we're the Monday night game. But 5 of our next 8 league games are on telly, which is nice while I haven't got a season ticket - and annoying for those who do, with all the 5:30s.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mount being out for Chelsea is a blessing in disguise. He’s been awful since they beat City in the final.

You’d think Werner will finally start. If it’s Ziyech, hand City the win now

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mount is absolute dogshit.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5 at the back, 3 defensive minded midfielders and Timo Werner? Sounds like it's going to be a cracker.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Calling it five at the back feels a tad misleading.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    7?

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -james- View Post
    Calling it five at the back feels a tad misleading.
    Same goals for as Liverpool despite playing with ten men at their ground and a much harder run of fixtures