User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls Games

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dark Souls Games

I started playing the first one over the weekend. It's bloody brilliant.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I tried Dark Souls..... 3? Not really my cup of tea. They're the sort of thing where I quite enjoy watching Game Grumps or whoever play them and have all the frustration on my behalf.

Not sure if I've tried any other "souls-likes" but I don't think I have.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I played it a while ago, but totally misunderstood the grinding and RPG aspects of it, both of which I love.

It's frustrating and I'm not very far through, but the game is so well designed and rewarding that even finding a new tunnel to go through feels like you've accomplished something.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does strike me as your sort of thing probably for the exact same reasons it's not mine.

I can appreciate from having watched Let's Plays of Dark Souls, Bloodborne, etc. the amount of care and craft that goes into them they're just not for me.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could never get over the lack of a quicksave, which makes the annoying trudge back to the (enjoyably challenging) bosses a fucking chore. Worse are the band of gatekeeping wankers who take umbrage at anyone suggesting such a thing (or god forbid difficulty options), as if it would affect them at all. I still like the first one though, for the design and how fuck-you obtuse it is, never bothered with any o the others but I understand the second one is crap and the third one much more like the first one and Bloodborne.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really got into the first one on the PS3, enough to get all the trophies. Will look to get all the others at some point. Really enjoyed the progression, the variety of playthroughs and the challenge.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've played all of them at least twice. They're great and Bloodborne is the best one by miles. Sekiro doesn't count. Sekiro is agony. I don't quite see it as a grindy series, though. Unless you see the grind as acquiring knowledge through failure, which it totally is.

However, there are some areas which are complete bollocks. Walking back to the boss shouldn't be a chore, although it does give the fight some extra stakes. Also, fuck doing esoteric bullshit to unlock bosses or areas. Something FROM have managed to at least cut out of the series as it went along.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    I could never get over the lack of a quicksave, which makes the annoying trudge back to the (enjoyably challenging) bosses a fucking chore.
    This is part of the thing with me. Just impatience I guess, maybe once I'd have enjoyed the "challenge" of that aspect of it and the risk/reward of pressing on if you've gathered a load of souls and whatnot but I can't be arsed now.

As you say, these things should all be customisable difficulty options. Let people pick their own challenge. I suppose you'd get the odd person who just goes easy if it's there who enjoyed being forced to play it as-is but if those guys don't know what they want then fuck 'em.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the good things about new players is they go off in directions you do not expect. Yev's not one for tanking.

https://www.twitch.tv/chemicallocust

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So things I've done so far:

Beat the intro tutorial
    Beaten the first boss
    Been beaten by the second boss about 30 times now. Can do the start bit fairly regularly but get fucked when he's down to half health and I have double to deal with
    Beaten an iron thing with one leg near a Blacksmith
    Got Drake's sword
    Ground 20,000 souls and unlocked a door in the forest
    Went through the door in the forest, ran a lot and got beaten by an animal wielding a sword
    Killed a metal Armadillo
    Been killed by a Minotaur
    Opened a fair few passages.

Loving it and don't really want to look up how to beat things, but I may have to if I start running out of stuff to do.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been fun watching and trying to decipher what you know from what's in your inventory. Are you playing Remastered?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Shinners. I am indeed. Does that differ at all from the original?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spent the morning and some of the afternoon watching your last session. Makes me want to dive in. Just for the sense of wonder when finding new passages, items, enemies. On par with Fallout and Elder Scrolls.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that was the one I think it was I spent hours on it and only beat one mini-boss and found some armour. That lack of progress in any other game would see me out, but for some reason, this is a joy.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You beat the mini-boss way before I did, so there's that. I'm pretty sure I only beat it after clearing out the forest coming from the opposite direction to you.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you do get on it would you stream? Don't wanna watch much/anything I haven't done but would love to see someone good at the game playing.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the playthrough I watched after finishing the game, probably quite spoilery though.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...a957Gn4FETp9Cz

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    If you do get on it would you stream? Don't wanna watch much/anything I haven't done but would love to see someone good at the game playing.
    Dark Souls 1? I could crack a few hours of it tonight if you fancy.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Phonics, out to dinner tonight but about tomorrow. Or I could watch the playback.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would be fun to not play the game completely on my own. I’ll get it downloaded tonight and see if my cloud save is still there.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Cheers Shinners. I am indeed. Does that differ at all from the original?
    The DLC's packed in with it but there's some steps you have to go through to access it. When I played through it first, I completely locked myself out of it.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    The DLC's packed in with it but there's some steps you have to go through to access it. When I played through it first, I completely locked myself out of it.
    That is brilliant. What a game!

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On for 90 minutes now.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remembered I was completely lost and why I hate this game.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yev streaming on Twitch under the name "chemicallocust" is one of the more surprising things I've come across recently.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    I remembered I was completely lost and why I hate this game.
    It is almost impossible to pick up where you left off after a long time away from the game. Maybe consider starting from scratch and try to catch up with Yevrah?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every time Yev pops up a stats screen I'm thinking, "Does he know what any of it means?" It's amazing how these games caught on in spite of themselves.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's fair to say "no", but I am actually trying to understand, which I guess is testament to how good the game is.

Last night, albeit brief, was a great success.

Beat the second boss
    Discovered a lift
    Met another boss who owned me
    Fought the boss animal with a sword again and nearly got him down to half health

Tonight should see some serious hours on it.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I forgot...

Beat one of the massive green nights (they respawn, boo)
    Picked up a shield near the skellingtons

I've got a load of equipment now, so I need to get grinding the souls again to upgrade it all.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went back to watch the boss win. Nicely done.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers. Given I'd died to him about 30 times already it was very satisfying.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by P_3 View Post
    It is almost impossible to pick up where you left off after a long time away from the game. Maybe consider starting from scratch and try to catch up with Yevrah?
    Going to take this advice. It's a sprint.

https://www.twitch.tv/trip___tv

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Going to take this advice. It's a sprint.

https://www.twitch.tv/trip___tv
    I take it you went off the idea few minutes in as your stream is already offline?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgot to turn left at the boss. Got frustrated and quit. If I was playing it with somebody I’d be down but just on my own I’ve been through this pain before.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to follow Yev's lead but with some restrictions on gear. But the starting dagger I have is quite useless. Awful reach. I've got my preferred weapon now that'll see me through the game. I've only beaten one more boss than Yevrah.

I feel like you need a foothold like that, phonics. If that weapon doesn't drop, I've got one very stupid, grindy plan B. Use a walkthrough or whatever until you wind up with a build you're actually comfy with.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More success tonight:

Picked up three rings
    Beat a couple of drakes
    Beat the minotaur
    Cleared out some sewers
    Met another boss
    Got another boss down to less than half health
    Gave some ember to the Blacksmith

And many things I've probably forgotten. Still loving it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How long til you're going to give this a go Yev?

Edit: that doesn't go into the story or anything much but I guess it will have spoilers

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've listened to it and it's incredible. There were events (many events) at the Olympics that were far less worthy of a gold medal than that.

I'll never do any of them no hit, but I could see myself trying to no death the first.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only metric I bother with is time spent. I may give Soul Level 1 a shot.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to follow Yev's lead but with some restrictions on gear. But the starting dagger I have is quite useless. Awful reach. I've got my preferred weapon now that'll see me through the game. I've only beaten one more boss than Yevrah.

I feel like you need a foothold like that, phonics. If that weapon doesn't drop, I've got one very stupid, grindy plan B. Use a walkthrough or whatever until you wind up with a build you're actually comfy with.
    I've already completed the games to a level that I want to. Was more about joining Yev. Like I say if you message me and say 'I'll spend a couple of hours on discord with you watching you play' then I'll do it. If not I'm good. I've been there, done that to my satisfaction on my own. I've never completed one but I've also never looked at a guide/faq for anything ever. If a 'Dark Souls Expert' wants to play via me then cool but I have no interest in doing it on my own again.

Completion/how far I got notes:

Dark Souls 1 - Sewers
    Dark Souls 2 - Feel like I wanted to quit at the two Sentinels but beat them somehow and died at some Samurai guy
    Dark Souls 3 - Everything up till one of the flying bosses in Archdragon Peak
    Sekiro - After the first major boss with the lightning but not the Monkey or the Scarecrow guy.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough. It actually sounds like you got the most out of 3. I've got a playthrough of DS1 on my youtube channel but it's in potato-vision. I wind up with the same build I'm currently using. I'll probably start streaming again in NG+

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back on and I'm cursed again.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yev having just watched you getting gaped by a dragon in your thong (and bearing in mind I've never played a DS game, but having play a LOT of MHW which looks not a million miles different in terms of the boss fights) I'd say one of your biggest problems is your camera control.

Nearly every time you took damage it was because you didn't have eyes on the boss until it whopped you.
    Last edited by randomlegend; 15-08-2021 at 04:54 PM.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers RL. The camera is a bit wank, but I definitely need to improve that part of it.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back on and we're heading to Blighttown, which I know not much about but understand is an arse.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Done for the night.

Blighttown is such a fucker. Made it to the boss there but couldn't beat it tonight.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been ages since I last went through Blighttown by the front door. I'm in the back third at the minute. Ticking off some of the trophies I've missed. Might go for the platinum if I can be arsed. I've noticed you've switched weapons.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You were close a few times Yevrah. A little tip, seeing as you're not actually using the shield in the boss fight, why don't you trying two handing your weapon with Y. It does more damage plus you still get the shield benefits.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been ages since I last went through Blighttown by the front door. I'm in the back third at the minute. Ticking off some of the trophies I've missed. Might go for the platinum if I can be arsed. I've noticed you've switched weapons.
    I did. I figured that as my Drakes Sword is so hard to upgrade (although I do now have a dragon shard or whatever it is) I'd experiment with other weapons.

Really can't wait for a second playthrough of this. Gonna get to the Blacksmith and just grind to upgrade and be able to use everything I have when I do.