Thread: The Writing Thread

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Writing Thread

Go on then, let's have it

I've not written much fiction/screenplays/whatever but I've written other stuff that I might share. Yev can use this place to develop his ideas, and other people too. If they want to.

Don't be a cunt about feedback, be respectful etc.

Bosh

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, all my writing output is game reviews now. I suppose I can vent about that. Here's my pet peeves:

- My own vocabulary. I keep drawing upon the same pool of words and it annoys me.
    - Anybody using the royal 'we' in their reviews. Own your opinion, please. Some of the other lads on site do it and it doesn't sound right. I know what process our reviews go through. The person that writes it publishes it. There is no 'we'.
    - "Fans of the series/genre/etc will enjoy this" Sometimes it's necessary but I hate putting that phrase on screen.
    - Visual novels. They're shit games. They're shit books. They are made by damaged people.

I often wonder how I'd get on at a bigger outlet. To be under greater scrutiny with entirely different requirements. All I have to worry about is how it reads and I'm not handing it off to an editor. On top of that, it's not like the audience cares if my writing is good or not. They're product reviews. The number and the last paragraph does the heavy lifting. Not that I'd have the time to offer greater critiques. It's a conveyer belt and the 'this is x, this is the thing it does. This is what I think' does me fine, as long as I get my point across.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The writing thread, getting used

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a portfolio of over a decade of writing, mainly on football, current affairs and autobiographical musings. Keep eyes peeled for my feedback form templates once I share the material.