User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Powers That Be

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yev I don’t think you were going to ban anyone and I certainly don’t give a fuck about your book. Have at it and I’m sure nobody else will care either if you have a thread for it. Maybe change the title from something generic to Yevs thread and I don’t think you’ll have an issue at all.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    All I can say for my part is I didn't intend any ill will, I was just checking in. If you're all good, then happy days.
    I didn't think for one second you did. Unlike the Auts brigade who're incapable of comprehending anything, it's clear as day to see who is genuinely concerned and who is being a cunt. You did not fall into the latter camp.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Yev I don’t think you were going to ban anyone and I certainly don’t give a fuck about your book. Have at it and I’m sure nobody else will care either if you have a thread for it.
    I'd love to believe that, but even if you mean it, the stockpile of Alan Partridge meme's waiting in the wings would suggest otherwise.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TTH isn't the place to get critical feedback on a script. How many scriptwriters do we have here? That's all I'm saying, you ain't gonna progress by getting advice from those who don't know the ins and outs, myself included.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    I'd love to believe that, but even if you mean it, the stockpile of Alan Partridge meme's waiting in the wings would suggest otherwise.
    If you think I have even one Alan Partridge (which I think is one of the unfunniest things to ever have existed) meme in waiting the you really don’t have any idea. Like I said, I don’t give enough of a fuck about it. I just hope you’re well and whatever you’re at goes well.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'd like RL asking advice about someone with sepsis and Bam going 'lol cut his dick off haha'

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just roll with the shit, is it really that bothersome? It's pretty much what this forum has always been, inane sniping and other low-level shithousery..

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it's worth, the last twenty four hours have been dynamite. Bring back the thread!

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Emia View Post
    I can’t really be arsed to read the whole of this other thread people are going on about. Someone breakdown what the fuck has happened?
    As is usually the case, not much really. I got brain fog twice over the last 3 months (caused principally by not sleeping properly for 15 months) and have now shaken it twice, but some people assume it's hilarious to run a narrative that claims I still have it. The latest reason hidden behind for doing so was because I pulled an all-nighter last night.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If 'these cunts' as you put it, were cleansed, there is no board. It's dead.
    I've just read the other thread. I didn't know you actually had mental health stuff at some point. I was just being flippant, sorry.

It reads like you're getting a bit ahead of yourself but whatever, fucking go for it if it's something you want to do. You'll learn a lot from it regardless of what happens.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    '...and, sorry, I know pitches are meant to be a lot more polished, but idiots kept posting breakdown memes at me so I had to just write it without any feedback.'
    'And you want Netflix to give you com...'
    'Complete control of the entire project yes.'

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you think I have even one Alan Partridge (which I think is one of the unfunniest things to ever have existed) meme in waiting the you really don’t have any idea.
    I was talking about Dquincy.

I just hope you’re well and whatever you’re at goes well.
    Cheers. Albeit you'll forgive me for being suspicious that you've genuinely developed a conscience in the last 5 minutes.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    '...and, sorry, I know pitches are meant to be a lot more polished, but idiots kept posting breakdown memes at me so I had to just write it without any feedback.'
    See, stuff like this, it's just lazy. I've never once even said I want to go with Netflix.
    Last edited by Yevrah; 25-07-2021 at 07:01 PM.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soldier View Post
    TTH isn't the place to get critical feedback on a script. How many scriptwriters do we have here? That's all I'm saying, you ain't gonna progress by getting advice from those who don't know the ins and outs, myself included.
    It's very unlikely, but then that was the initial point of the thread. I'm 41 now, so I'm also not going to get in with actual scriptwriters to the level I'd need to in a viable timeframe. Sometimes you just have to play the cards you're dealt.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was talking about Dquincy.

Cheers. Albeit you'll forgive me for being suspicious that you've genuinely developed a conscience in the last 5 minutes.
    Quincy or not, you quoted me though.
    I don’t know if I have a conscience or not, I certainly don’t like to show it if I do but I always liked you and that’s going back many years. We’ve always had a few run ins buts whatever.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for TTH not being the place, if you join some writers' forum you will get stuck in a mutual bullshit loop like when comedians all tell each other they're great when they aren't. You are much, much more likely to get told your stuff is good or shit here, which is ultimately what you need to know because the formalities of script-writing are just that.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And Luke, I should add that some people are genuinely concerned and they're not at all being a dick about that, but you can spot them a mile off and they're not who have brought any of this about.

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Genuine chuckle.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for TTH not being the place, if you join some writers' forum you will get stuck in a mutual bullshit loop like when comedians all tell each other they're great when they aren't. You are much, much more likely to get told your stuff is good or shit here, which is ultimately what you need to know because the formalities of script-writing are just that.
    100% agree. If I go to professionals I'll get hammered for form/structure (or whatever it's called) and I have neither the time or inclination to bother with any of that. I'd rather read Dquincy posts.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just dawned on me we have an ignore user function. Which I recall being said to be a bit irritating by those who used it back in the day, but maybe we have an option 5.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    It's pretty much what this forum has always been, inane sniping and other low-level shithousery..
    This, 100%.

I said Yevrah has been 'unstable for years' but I don't read enough on here to, in reality, have any opinion whatsoever on him or what his mental state is like. I was just saying shit to entertain myself and to see what the response would be. In honesty I don't know anything about him and confuse him with Jimmy (and GS when he was here) most of the time, not sure why.

People have said all kinds of shit to me on here, and I've learned to adapt and I guess just join in. I do think it's kinda part of the culture of the place, and it's why I've often been wary of saying anything that makes me feel remotely vulnerable because odds are someone will say something about it that could genuinely impact me irl. That said, it's quite a weird and interesting little place to be a part of once I've boundaried myself.
    Last edited by Spammer; 25-07-2021 at 07:12 PM.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was kind of the thing with the writing forums I joined. They're both defunct now but any criticism was met with disgust and anything I submitted was given the, "I see potential here. What if X was X?"

One of the worst things I ever read was a boring 90 page script where nothing went on. It was just students regurgitating Anchorman quotes and being sad Heath Ledger died.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't go to a writers forum. Just find somewhere that has people that have been published. I'm not a member of any writers forums, fuck that.

I got some incredible critique of the last thing I wrote that led me to almost rewrite the whole thing and it's a far better piece for it.

Fair fucks you're 41 though and don't want to put in a week or two effort to find said places/people.

On a personal note anything offered here as critique I'd generally lol out of town if I was to post work.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s just the length of time. We’ve known each other for years but don’t actually know each other at all.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    100% agree. If I go to professionals I'll get hammered for form/structure (or whatever it's called) and I have neither the time or inclination to bother with any of that. I'd rather read Dquincy posts.
    Mate you're not gonna get anywhere with that train of thought. You've literally just said you'll write off aspects of critique.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you did I'd take that, but you don't, you're a horrendous poster that offers nothing beyond jealous snipes and gas-lighting.

If you think I've got a single piece of material from you in the last 20 years that would go anywhere near what I'm planning then you're sadly mistaken and you should disabuse yourself of that notion right now. The sea of shit from you has been so strong since that the only decent thing you did that I can still remember has already been used by Stuart Lee.
    The absolute unnecessary venom in this post.

I think an apology is needed to Shinners.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, would you bother?
    I would. You have a passion for it. Fuck the haters and take this as far as you can.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate you're not gonna get anywhere with that train of thought. You've literally just said you'll write off aspects of critique.
    If I did, I didn't mean to. I just don't want to be joining another forum and essentially starting from square one. I don't have the tools for this game, so I can either learn them before I start or learn on the job. The latter is a better option for me, I genuinely believe that, I could of course be wrong. And if I stick an actual trailer up on Youtube, let alone a pilot, I'm going to get critiqued to fuck. Which is fine and it'll be quicker.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spammer View Post
    This, 100%.

I said Yevrah has been 'unstable for years' but I don't read enough on here to, in reality, have any opinion whatsoever on him or what his mental state is like. I was just saying shit to entertain myself and to see what the response would be. In honesty I don't know anything about him and confuse him with Jimmy (and GS when he was here) most of the time, not sure why.

People have said all kinds of shit to me on here, and I've learned to adapt and I guess just join in. I do think it's kinda part of the culture of the place, and it's why I've often been wary of saying anything that makes me feel remotely vulnerable because odds are someone will say something about it that could genuinely impact me irl. That said, it's quite a weird and interesting little place to be a part of once I've boundaried myself.
    Fair points Spammer and if I said I hadn't taken some of the stuff personally it'd be bullshit. However, the reality is that I'm more annoyed with myself for telling a significant number of people I was having problems, that I shouldn't have.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see any issue with a generic writing thread where people can post stuff, so long as others are respectful of it. I don't see why they wouldn't be if there's a dedicated thread they can avoid. That other thread was a bit different in that it started out as one thing and then turned into something else.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yev if it helps I've just come out the other side of a 20 year long struggle with depression and anxiety, alongside high intensity CBT and counselling which has dredged up memories I'd buried so deep that I almost lost a missus and almost chucked myself off a fucking bridge. I'm now unemployed due to work not being able to cater to the requirements I need right now to help me through it.

Just ignore the barbed comments, as hard as it may seem when you first open yourself up to a vulnerability. It helps in the long run to know you've done it. Giggles the empathy vacuum and quincy the absolute grade a spastic aside its been sound.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't go to a writers forum. Just find somewhere that has people that have been published. I'm not a member of any writers forums, fuck that.

I got some incredible critique of the last thing I wrote that led me to almost rewrite the whole thing and it's a far better piece for it.
    This is probably going to come across as very arrogant, but I've no interest in re-writing the whole thing or even a significant portion of it. I've a story I want to tell that I'm happy to tweak, but no more than that as it'll no longer be the story I want to tell if I do.

I'm genuinely not interested in being a very good writer, I'd just like to get an idea off the ground. If the actual format of the writing is good enough to miss the bin then I'll take that bare minimum all day long. And if it isn't, well I can cross that bridge when I come to it, but preparing for the eventuality that it will be, when I've barely written any of it yet just seems an unnecessary step to take at this stage.

Fair fucks you're 41 though and don't want to put in a week or two effort to find said places/people.
    Well given I'm prepared to put a couple of years of any free time I have into this, a week or two of that (if that's all it were, would be no problem), but it won't be, will it. It'll be a huge undertaking that'll send me down a rabbit hole that I could very well get away without going anywhere near.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can re-write without changing any aspect of the story. Its about flow. I'll stop with the advice here as you have your way set and any offer besides the little comfort bubble of this won't really help. Godspeed mate.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Calm the fuck down the lot of you.

Personally I don't give a fuck if Yev is currently mentally whatever or not. So long as he is/has working/worked toward a fix, which he categorically is/has, then fair play. Generally speaking, we're very good at supporting for about 5 mins, then being cunts about it for 5 days. Yev, if this is what you want then grab the bull by the horns, take it wherever it goes, and don't let either the success or failure define you.

As for the admins, didn't know who they were and that means we don't have a problem. It only really needs the background stuff to keep it online doing anyway.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yev if it helps I've just come out the other side of a 20 year long struggle with depression and anxiety, alongside high intensity CBT and counselling which has dredged up memories I'd buried so deep that I almost lost a missus and almost chucked myself off a fucking bridge. I'm now unemployed due to work not being able to cater to the requirements I need right now to help me through it.

Just ignore the barbed comments, as hard as it may seem when you first open yourself up to a vulnerability. It helps in the long run to know you've done it. Giggles the empathy vacuum and quincy the absolute grade a spastic aside its been sound.
    What about Dark “lets make this about me” Soldier? It’s basically all you’ve done since Yev first mentioned it at all.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read stuff like this and it's horrific that problems like that are chucked into the same bucket as my experience, which was nothing in comparison. I had a glimpse (not even of the things you cite, but perhaps the potential end result) and that was it. You're a genuine legend for getting through that shit. All I had to do was sleep properly for two weeks and that's even given me a buffer to be able to be reckless with it for a day or two now and then and still be fine.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bar my ego its been offers of actual help. I've happily stepped away at this point though.

Edit: @Giggles

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a bunch of aspergers, you fellas certainly take things very seriously. Lighten up.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can re-write without changing any aspect of the story. Its about flow. I'll stop with the advice here as you have your way set and any offer besides the little comfort bubble of this won't really help. Godspeed mate.
    I genuinely welcome the advice and I can see now how I've brought on some of the problems that are coming up. I know what structure/timescales I'm working to, but you lot don't because I've barely told you. I need to elaborate more on that side of things to avoid this sort of confusion in future.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got a writing thread now anyway

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fucking hell, I'm all for the drama and toxicity (big props for that post aimed at Shinners) but I'm really struggling to get interested here at any of this. If I see another thinly veiled 'when I wrote my script' post...

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right.

I'm gonna open the thread again and crack on. I was never going to bin the whole thing, it was just whether it was worth posting about it on here and on balance I still think it is. So thank you for the input in the thread that's got things there.

DS, don't jack it in. I just need to be clearer where I'm at with things so we get the order right and don't waste time. Dquincy You're on ignore and have been for over an hour. I just can't and it seems to be working.
    The rest of you Cheers for your kind words too.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just buy a convertible something that people usually do during a midlife crisis. You’ve come across a right twat for the better part of two days.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still don't think you should do it in a thread was originally meant for something else, as it'll give people license to jump in, but whevs

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spammer View Post
    Still don't think you should do it in a thread was originally meant for something else, as it'll give people license to jump in, but whevs
    Fair point. I'll start my own. Not that I don't like your thread, but I've learnt today there's a huge distinction between what I want to do and writing a screenplay and I don't want to get bogged down in the latter. A bit like footballers pretending to like Henry Winter (and vice versa), I have to do it but doesn't mean I have to actually enjoy it.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pen View Post
    Just buy a convertible something that people usually do during a midlife crisis. You’ve come across a right twat for the better part of two days.
    We're done with all that now, but thanks Pen. Love you too.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And Luke, I should add that some people are genuinely concerned and they're not at all being a dick about that, but you can spot them a mile off and they're not who have brought any of this about.
    Well for my part if you want to give it a go do it. If it doesn’t work out so be it, you won’t have caused anyone harm.

As for any mental health issues you may have had if this helps you in any small way with that it’s a massive positive even if you are in a better place now a lot of the time having a goal and something to aim for makes a huge difference.

As for what you have written the premise sounds decent. How you go about making that into a long running show when people generally have the attention span of a gnat nowadays would probably be my biggest concern.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and no one who is a mod is going to come back and delete everything. Let’s not forget we are only here because Mark had literally given up with The Dugout. He didn’t delete the whole place he just stopped giving a shit about it.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Luke.

And on the mental health stuff guys, if it should even be described as that in the first place, it's 100% fine now. I told you all when it wasn't and I'll do so again if it becomes a problem down the line. In the meantime, it's BAU again, which as you all know by now does involve me being a cock from time to time, not because I'm mental (unless advised otherwise), but because I'm a cock.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're done with all that now, but thanks Pen. Love you too.
    I have no ill feelings towards you but you haven’t reacted all that well before. Just look at your past endeavors and have a think are you really committing to this kind of nonsense.