User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Things You Could Do But Realistically Won't

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DS, could you link us to your horror? Wouldn’t mind giving it a go.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    Yeah, there's a lot of effort gone into that, bless him.

I had no idea youtube was such a pit of despair.
    Oh, it is. It really fucking is.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is really promising. None of the obstacles posed in this thread are actually such when you think about them.

Not saying it’s easy, but isn’t that hard.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Realistically fellas, are you actually good writers? Because people here think I write funny, but I'm not sat here thinking I could write anything beyond dry historical wank.
    Counterpoint: the woman who wrote Fifty Shades of Gray was just writing erotic Twilight fanfiction and spawned an empire of books and films.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've sketched out the first episode of the sitcom. It's gold. Need to fully script it now, which will take time.

Target: End of July.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    Counterpoint: the woman who wrote Fifty Shades of Gray was just writing erotic Twilight fanfiction and spawned an empire of books and films.
    JK Rowling is another. The books are unoriginal badly written crap that got roundly rejected and then made her a billionaire.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don, wanna be in the sitcom as a character?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7om View Post
    DS, could you link us to your horror? Wouldn’t mind giving it a go.
    It's a while ago, the zine and my copies no longer exist. I'll link you up with the next thing I write though. Only got back into it the past few months.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DS, wanna help me the format of a screenplay next week?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    DS, wanna help me the format of a screenplay next week?
    Yeah can do mate. Chuck us a PM as/when.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great stuff, if I paypal/bank transfer you a few quid fancy doing it over Skype and a few beers? Or, where do you live? If it's near Manchester I might be there next week so could do it in person over lunch/dinner (and a pint)?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was literally just gonna link ya to the guides I followed

It's summat you can understand in like 10 minutes, pretty basic to be honest. There isn't much scope to go off the cuff as most of it is dialogue. Scene setting is bare bones just to give a sense of it, cinematography is dealt with pre-filming.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Game for a Skype chat or summat though, could give it a read and feedback etc.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers, wanna whack them in here now?

And thanks for the feedback offer, but I'm gonna try and film it first and next.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll sort em out tomorrow for ya when on the PC mate.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks dude.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I volunteer as cameraman/director of cinematography. I can bring my own equipment including lights.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you in England? I've got a mate who makes music videos in London who can do it, but I might take you up on that if he can't.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and I trust you Phonics, but I wanna keep this as on piste as possible. I've got an amazing idea I've been trying to work into an something since I saw Donnie Darko over 20 years ago and I've finally done it. Wanna keep it as under wraps as possible.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Post-September, yes.

I also do professional video editing and post processing if you want to film before then.

Oh and I trust you Phonics, but I wanna keep this as on piste as possible. I've got an amazing idea I've been trying to work into an something since I saw Donnie Darko over 20 years ago and I've finally done it. Wanna keep it as under wraps as possible.
    I'll be unemployed, you being on my arse would help me keep my shit together so no fee necessary.

I know you're not actually Adrian Durham but you wouldn't even be the most famous ginger I worked for

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're in in some capacity I'd imagine, if you're up for that. This has just risen to a 2/10 likelihood and I no longer need to piss about with stand up.

Do you/anyone know what would happen if I used three famous song tracks in it without permission, stuck it up on Youtube, monetised it and it got 8m views? And does anyone know how one would go about getting the rights and how much that would cost?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you get the rights then you present that to youtube on a copyright strike. If you don't then the monetised video money is given to the copyright holder. I'll show you can example I have when not having the rights.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would love to see that.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also not and never have been ginger.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for fees. I'm gonna give everyone who helps get this off the ground an infinitesimally small % of any profits I make from the movie that wraps it all up.

I'm aiming for a billion from that minimum, so 0.01% would net you £100k if it works. Have to be on a handshake and promise basis, but I'll honour it.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also not and never have been ginger.
    I know, I think someone gave you an Adrian Durham avatar at some point and sorry but thats what you'll forever look like in my head despite seeing you.

So I work for an NGO which means we can't monetise our videos, which I've learnt means that I can take music and it'll just put ads on our videos and that person gets paid. See image:

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for fees. I'm gonna give everyone who helps get this off the ground an infinitesimally small % of any profits I make from the movie that wraps it all up.

I'm aiming for a billion from that minimum, so 0.01% would net you £100k if it works. Have to be on a handshake and promise basis, but I'll honour it.
    Just FYI a billion views on youtube would work out to about 300k before tax.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's brilliant. I don't want to make money from the pilot, I want a deal to make it, so the more people that can see it in its unaltered state the better. I need a trailer as well and both will use these two songs + 1 other I haven't decided yet for the credits, maybe 2 more for opening and closing.

In fact, I know it's hard without the premise or a script, but anyone have any suggestions for opening and closing credits music? Doesn't need to be anything like the above and obscure stuff welcome, I'd love to make a small unknown band millionaires.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This song as used in This Life will also feature somewhere...

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You would be broke and you won't be able to get the rights to Creed. He was a right-wing christian before and since then has gone off the deep end and unless you can convince him that your views with COVID align or something then you won't get them.

My tip would be to look at https://www.audionetwork.com/ and use their features to find 'similar tracks'.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick bit of research has showed that Heather Smalls 3 seperate record labels all no longer exist so that one you can use without issue.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right. The premise.

Two timelines set in the same world, one in the late 90s early 00s working forwards and one in the 2020 working backwards. At the end of the TV run the two will converge, with a Back to the Future style:

Which I'll actually use if I'm allowed to.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    You would be broke and you won't be able to get the rights to Creed. He was a right-wing christian before and since then has gone off the deep end and unless you can convince him that your views with COVID align or something then you won't get them.

My tip would be to look at https://www.audionetwork.com/ and use their features to find 'similar tracks'.
    Right, my plan is that I'll get this signed with the BBC even if Netflix make a higher offer, because, as as far as I understand it they have access to use everything. I'll then need to lie about my views on COVID and God to get the rights for the DVD sales as I'm not doing that cheap shit (like This Life did with Rush Hour) for those.

Music doesn't necessarily always make a show, but it sure as shit can break it.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick bit of research has showed that Heather Smalls 3 seperate record labels all no longer exist so that one you can use without issue.
    Does she get any money at all still for her work then? She'll also get paid by me if she doesn't.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So as someone who's done this and got away with it, get the script and the visual storyboard absolutely nailed before thinking of anything else including music etc.. Film the product. Watch it. Probably re-shoot sections of the product. Edit the product. Put the shit that will get you into trouble into the edit. Try get permission. Fail to get permission. Fake a theft of and then leak the product. Claim in court that you had no control of the leak. Re-edit it without the problematic stuff.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does she get any money at all still for her work then? She'll also get paid by me if she doesn't.
    Further research says that Sony bought the rights to everything including Proud and put the rest of her catalogue in the Bin but they get paid mad money off Proud specifically because its the intro song for some season of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy or something.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just FYI a billion views on youtube would work out to about 300k before tax.
    Cool, but I meant one billion pounds for me for profits from the film.

I know who I want my agent to be, the best boss I've ever had. She'd fucking nail it and I'd trust her with my life.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So as someone who's done this and got away with it, get the script and the visual storyboard absolutely nailed before thinking of anything else including music etc.. Film the product. Watch it. Probably re-shoot sections of the product. Edit the product. Put the shit that will get you into trouble into the edit. Try get permission. Fail to get permission. Fake a theft of and then leak the product. Claim in court that you had no control of the leak. Re-edit it without the problematic stuff.
    Hang on, can I not just let copyright strike do its work and give the money to the rights holders? To be clear, plan is:

Make a pilot
    Put it on Youtube
    Get signed by the Beeb with the condition that they pay for and give me Ricky Gervais for a day
    Quit my job and make it
    It's a success
    End it all with a film that I make £1bn minimum from - give the people who helped at the start their share.
    ?????
    Buy an Island and have the best party ever

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, but I meant one billion pounds for me for profits from the film.

I know who I want my agent to be, the best boss I've ever had. She'd fucking nail it and I'd trust her with my life.
    You've got the wrong end of how the industry works. You want to pretend that you lost one billion pounds despite making a massive profit and then get a rebate. Example:

Return of the Jedi, despite having earned $475 million at the box office against a budget of $32.5 million, has never gone into profit.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hang on, can I not just let copyright strike do its work and give the money to the rights holders? To be clear, plan is:

Make a pilot
    Put it on Youtube
    Get signed by the Beeb with the condition that they pay for and give me Ricky Gervais for a day
    Quit my job and make it
    It's a success
    End it all with a film that I make £1bn minimum from - give the people who helped at the start their share.
    ?????
    Buy an Island and have the best party ever
    So yes this works but if you have a copyright claim against your video it won't fall into the youtube algorithm so won't get the views necessary for steps 3 through buying an island.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've got the wrong end of how the industry works. You want to pretend that you lost one billion pounds despite making a massive profit and then get a rebate. Example:

Return of the Jedi, despite having earned $475 million at the box office against a budget of $32.5 million, has never gone into profit.
    No, I know exactly how it works. They've fiddled the figures to get to that loss, I'm not getting involved in any of that shit. I want a straight "film makes x, I make x%" deal on profit or turnover, whatever's best for me, probably turnover as it's harder to fiddle but not impossible. Said deal will be tiered so the more it makes the higher % I get at various points.

The beauty of this is I don't need to do this, I already have a career I'm happy with so I will not be compromising creatively at all if I don't agree with the suggestion and Mrs X will be negotiating all the other crap for me, on 20% for herself, or whatever 5% more than the industry standard is.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So yes this works but if you have a copyright claim against your video it won't fall into the youtube algorithm so won't get the views necessary for steps 3 through buying an island.
    Bugger. Your plan sounds like a winner.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I know exactly how it works. They've fiddled the figures to get to that loss, I'm not getting involved in any of that shit. I want a straight "film makes x, I make x%" deal on profit or turnover, whatever's best for me, probably turnover as it's harder to fiddle but not impossible. Said deal will be tiered so the more it makes the higher % I get at various points.

The beauty of this is I don't need to do this, I already have a career I'm happy with so I will not be compromising creatively at all if I don't agree with the suggestion and Mrs X will be negotiating all the other crap for me, on 20% for herself, or whatever 5% more than the industry standard is.
    You've forgot to factor in that the entire industry is a corrupt wasteland. Any 'But it shouldn't work like that' comment is immediately countered with 'But it does work like that and who the fuck do you think you are to change it.'

So break the rules, hope it works and deal with the consequences after. If it doesn't work there's no consequences.

Ryan Reynolds leaked this Deadpool trailer 6 years ago and went from a lawsuit to a multi-film deal with Disney when it succeeded.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When was the last time you slept?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I woke up about 1pm this afternoon?

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I meant Yev.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've not forgot anything. They have to pay me something and that's the structure my agent will be asking for.

I work for a FTSE 250, we're very good at playing by the book, but the stories you hear are illuminating.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    When was the last time you slept?
    Last night from say 1, until about 8 this morning. Off to bed soon.

Why do you ask?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've not forgot anything. They have to pay me something and that's the structure my agent will be asking for.

I work for a FTSE 250, we're very good at playing by the book, but the stories you hear are illuminating.
    I’ve worked Corporate Communications for a NASDAQ top 50/listed Fortune 500 company. They were bribing officials and it was still less corrupt than the media business.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You seem a bit manic.