User Tag List

View Poll Results: Last chance to predict it right: Who's winning?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Italy

3 25.00%
  • Spain

0 0%
  • IT'S COMING HOME! FOR REAL THIS TIME!

8 66.67%
  • Denmark

0 0%
  • Anyone but England

0 0%
  • Who cares, it's ITK season, baby!

1 8.33%
Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: July: The end of the Euros and.... friendlies?

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The laser pen on the keeper was some proper shithousing

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If England do win it, the montage at the end needs to be done to Cast - Walkaway. They can then end international football.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Players of the Tournament:

1: Raheems Terling orEnrico Chiesa
    2. Raheems Terling or Enrico Chiesa
    3. Boris Johnson
    4. You're not winning it from the quarters so forget it lads

Harry Maguire has been our second best player lol.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJay View Post
    Sterling is player of the tournament if England win. Kane needs 2 for the Golden Boot right?

Not sure which Italian would get best player if they win. More of a team effort from them really.
    Two or a goal and 2 assists.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellberg View Post
    If England do win it, the montage at the end needs to be done to Cast - Walkaway. They can then end international football.
    Closing the loop. I like it.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fucking yes.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    Closing the loop. I like it.
    It's the World Cup next year, and Sancho and Grealish will be at big enough clubs to start every game.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought Rice was good tonight.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can we send Her Maj to the final or is she still having to isolate?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why, hasn't she got a telly?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right, time for some real talk.

We were good for 6 minutes of injury time and for the first half of extra time, for the rest of it we were abysmal, interspersed with moments of ok. Denmark looked dangerous every time they came forward and our much lauded defence was shaky at best.
    Kane continually dropping deep or wide must have been intentional and it's an absolute nonsense. When he was in the middle, he looked dangerous and we were good. No coincidence that was only for about 20 minutes.

While I was rightly corrected by James that losses in the past, with completely different players, have any bearing on the here and now, there is clearly something that's in our psyche that doesn't lend itself to knockout football for England. Pickford's looked solid all tournament and was a complete shambles tonight. Kane's penalty was absolutely horrific - an effort I'd have been disappointed with. Interesting that we also played far better than any other game away from Wembley.

But, but, but, we won, and on balance I'd say we deserved to and I think we'll win on Sunday too. My primary reasoning is that it just feels like it's time, but if you want a footballing one, 8 at the back with Sterling and a.n.other pace merchant terrorising their ageing backline will be enough to see us through. I think we'll concede, but will probably score a couple. The 8 at the back should keep Kane up front and centre too, which will help hugely.

Which then leads me onto Southgate, he'll be knighted and righty so, but we should part ways with him at the end of the tournament and get someone else in who can play football with a plan that involves some attacking intent. I got it wrong against Germany, he set out what he wanted to do and the players executed it superbly, but there was no plan tonight and (let's be fair, against a second tier team) we were pretty shocking for most of it, with the second half of extra time an abomination of an approach. This approach and style of football will never be good enough to win another tournament, where we'll be facing at least two good teams, another with historical significance and if we're lucky, one poor one over a four game knockout run. Against that calibre of opposition we'll never win anything playing like this and we'll never get another run in a tournament against such wank or knackered opposition as we've faced here. Which is also why we'll be the worst winners of an international tournament in my lifetime, and by some margin.

But on Sunday at least, that won't matter. It'll have come home.
    Last edited by Yevrah; 07-07-2021 at 10:38 PM.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is Kalvin Phillips a reverse David Luiz? He was absoutley shocking for the first hour yet no own seemed to notice. Calling @-james- for the stats. By my reckoning he lost a dozen or so duels.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Christ, I wasn't expecting the Southgate Out twist in that post. Kudos for keeping the hits coming.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The worst winners but the best tournament. Creating history.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worst winners? The last Euros for a start. Got out their group in third and won one game in 90 mins all tournament.

And I thought the second half of extra time was managed superbly. Kept the ball for approximately half of it and little risk. Job done.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Christ, I wasn't expecting the Southgate Out twist in that post. Kudos for keeping the hits coming.
    I spent a lot of lockdown watching a WWII documentary so I'm likening it to Churchill being ousted after the war ended, which was absolutely the right decision for my money, despite every single one of us rightly being so thankful for what he did during it. As this would be too.

We're an average team at best and had we been in the other half of the draw in either this tournament or the last one we'd have not got close to a semi or a final. We've never been close to being that lucky in who we've faced in over 30 years, so I'd say it's fair to say I'll be dead before it happens again.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worst winners? The last Euros for a start. Got out their group in third and won one game in 90 mins all tournament.

And I thought the second half of extra time was managed superbly. Kept the ball for approximately half of it and little risk. Job done.
    We've been over this already and they were a very good team and a team that would have beaten us now, comfortably. Greece were also a very good team before someone pipes up with them. We are not and the main reason we're in the final is because of the most favourable draw since draws began.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You think that Yev post is mental when he starts off saying England were shit until injury time and then by the end of it he's both knighting and sacking the manager.

What chemicals are going in that hot tub?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Defeated World Cup finalists. DARK HORSES. Germans. It's hardly been a stroll in the park and that's about right for a run to the final. It feels comfortable because they've made it so. Were Belgium, Spain or France any better than Germany? Maybe France, but they lost to Switzerland. We've done well. Enjoy it.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    I spent a lot of lockdown watching a WWII documentary so I'm likening it to Churchill being ousted after the war ended, which was absolutely the right decision for my money, despite every single one of us rightly being so thankful for what he did during it. As this would be too.

We're an average team at best and had we been in the other half of the draw in either this tournament or the last one we'd have not got close to a semi or a final. We've never been close to being that lucky in who we've faced in over 30 years, so I'd say it's fair to say I'll be dead before it happens again.
    How do you figure that? England beat Germany who matched France in the group stage (who lost to Switzerland), and England will probably at least match Italy in the final. Home advantage has helped but England are clearly one of the best three sides at the tournament.

Obviously playing at home and having an easy draw has helped but you could probably asterisk half of the tournament winners ever with stuff like that.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    You think that Yev post is mental when he starts off saying England were shit until injury time and then by the end of it he's both knighting and sacking the manager.

It's all sense. Archive it and keep referring back to it when we stink up the next four tournaments but no one dare sack Sir Gareth Southgate.

The hot tub has been off for two months FYI. In May and June because of the awful weather and now because I'm using it as a stand to put the TV outdoors for England games. Normal service will resume from next week and the chemicals will continue to be chlorine and PH balancing agents.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Southgate is a gimp, and I would sack him if we lose the final (especially if we lose convincingly), but he would be literally unsackable if he wins. Whatever the merits of doing so in theory, if player power exists in any sense of the word you couldn't sack him.

EDIT: Yeah, the problem will be if we soil the World Cup and can never sack him.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who are you hiring in place of Southgate?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tommy Robinson.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some absolute woppers on display in here. If you can't enjoy this you may as well end it all.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -james- View Post
    How do you figure that? England beat Germany who matched France in the group stage (who lost to Switzerland), and England will probably at least match Italy in the final. Home advantage has helped but England are clearly one of the best three sides at the tournament.

Obviously playing at home and having an easy draw has helped but you could probably asterisk half of the tournament winners ever with stuff like that.
    You can't because none of them have had as east draws as we have. Go and have a look. It just doesn't happen very often. Brazil in 2002 might be the closest example, but even then their run was harder than this. Far harder.

And your first line is absolute nonsense. It's football not conkers.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The twitter replies are great. Entire world outside England seething their faces off. It's our turn, fuckers, suck it up.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc View Post
    Some absolute woppers on display in here. If you can't enjoy this you may as well end it all.
    I did enjoy it, we're in a final which we're going to win and I'll enjoy that too.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who are you hiring in place of Southgate?
    I'm not, I don't work for the FA.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    I think Southgate is a gimp, and I would sack him if we lose the final (especially if we lose convincingly), but he would be literally unsackable if he wins. Whatever the merits of doing so in theory, if player power exists in any sense of the word you couldn't sack him.

EDIT: Yeah, the problem will be if we soil the World Cup and can never sack him.
    Which I'd probably take to win one tournament in my lifetime, but it's going to be horrific if we don't benefit from draws like this again for the next 20 years.

The only caveat to that is that stage two of his brilliance may involve some expansive (champagne was it Gaz?) football, but again, I'd like to have seen some actual evidence of that.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Defeated World Cup finalists. DARK HORSES. Germans. It's hardly been a stroll in the park and that's about right for a run to the final. It feels comfortable because they've made it so. Were Belgium, Spain or France any better than Germany? Maybe France, but they lost to Switzerland. We've done well. Enjoy it.
    Do you genuinely think we'd be in the final had we been in the other half of the draw and played like we have?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post

All bases covered.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Evidence of that against anyone bar a genuinely dead Ukranian team, which was admittedly excellent. The rest of it, on the whole and for large swaythes, has been absolute garbage.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spain nearly did. Italy have only bossed a ruined Belgium. Why not? We beat ze Germans.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Italy have knocked Spain and Belgium out. We've beaten the worst German team I've ever seen and some second rate shit.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't because none of them have had as east draws as we have. Go and have a look. It just doesn't happen very often. Brazil in 2002 might be the closest example, but even then their run was harder than this. Far harder.

And your first line is absolute nonsense. It's football not conkers.
    My point is that you have to have a severe inferiority complex to not think England are one of the best two or three sides at this tournament.

I'm not, I don't work for the FA.

I find it hard to believe you'd find anyone who's as well liked, has BEEN THERE, has a VISION and, crucially, would want to manage England. You're looking at what, Eddie Howe, Scott Parker, Arsene Wenger?

This is by far the best England have played at a tournament in however long and it seems lol that you'd want to bin it in favour of something which would, inevitably, be a big gamble.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My point is that you have to have a severe inferiority complex to not think England are one of the best two or three sides at this
    Or eyes.

I find it hard to believe you'd find anyone who's as well liked, has BEEN THERE, has a VISION and, crucially, would want to manage England. You're looking at what, Eddie Howe, Scott Parker, Arsene Wenger?

This is by far the best England have played at a tournament in however long and it seems lol that you'd want to bin it in favour of something which would, inevitably, be a big gamble.
    If you're telling me we could get Wenger rather than watching this again in Qatar, I would absolutely bite your arm off. Or if we want to win it, Mourinho.

But like I said, I don't work for the FA, so it's not my problem. It will be theirs though and increasingly so as we go through the next few international tournaments. We're also never going to get the luxury of playing at home again either. Europe/UEFA hate us and our brown envelopes are far too pathetic for FIFA to give us another World Cup.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The twitter replies are great. Entire world outside England seething their faces off. It's our turn, fuckers, suck it up.
    It's fantastic right now, the amount of Danish flags quickly being swapped out for Italian ones, and the angry responses to every post from news pages is something to behold. The number of bitter Welsh people on social media means I'm going to have an absolute field day until the weekend. Three Lions blaring out the car at every opportunity. Hope you enjoyed playing in Baku you sad bastards.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mourinho lol. Odds on to do a France 2002/2010/2020.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Germany was a test (passed), and so was tonight (meh). To use the Ole Gunnar Binman comparison again, if he nails it from the off like against Germany (United vs City in recent years) then we're away because we have the players; but if the other team out-tactics him like tonight, the clueless gimp in him comes to the fore and he can't/won't make changes on the run to address it beyond like-for-like substitutions (also scabbing penalties like United).

I think that is the issue for Sunday (and his fate going forward). If we get it right we will do them. If their plan beats ours then turn the telly off after half an hour.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mourinho lol. Odds on to do a France 2002/2010/2020.
    Mourinho is fantastic at playing shit football and getting results in knockout competitions.

How much would I get for laying that? It's free money.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love him but Mourinho would be absolute AIDS to this group of fannies.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Germany was a test (passed), and so was tonight (meh). To use the Ole Gunnar Binman comparison again, if he nails it from the off like against Germany (United vs City in recent years) then we're away because we have the players; but if the other team out-tactics him like tonight, the clueless gimp in him comes to the fore and he can't/won't make changes on the run to address it beyond like-for-like substitutions (also scabbing penalties like United).

I think that is the issue for Sunday (and his fate going forward). If we get it right we will do them. If their plan beats ours then turn the telly off after half an hour.
    Nailed it with that. And it plays into what I said above, if he goes with his 8 at the back wank (he's an idiot if he doesn't) and some pace I think Italy will struggle. His substitutions tonight were appalling. Absolutely appalling.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love him but Mourinho would be absolute AIDS to this group of fannies.
    That is true. I remember saying a while back that millennials being soft as shite has ruined him and being jumped on, but it's true, isn't it? Nothing else makes sense.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would just play the Germany team. I wouldn't fancy either edge of a back four against those Italy forwards and we need to fill the middle with shit.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On paper you're right but having watched the two games, the difference in intensity / pace / quality was just enormous. I know the next game is another game but still.

Our best hope is Sterling who has been absolutely heroic in every single game. The way he carries the ball, I've never seen anything like it in an England shirt, and I'm not sure I've even seen him do it at club level either.
    He hasn't. Kudos for Southgate for seeing that in him and getting it out of him, but it strikes me as akin to choosing to get blood out of a stone when you could just stab yourself if you really needed some.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would just play the Germany team. I wouldn't fancy either edge of a back four against those Italy forwards and we need to fill the middle with shit.
    That's the one. I'd probably put Saka in it though. We need as much pace as possible against Italy.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If he didn't start that game. He did though, didn't he?

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If England win this, they'll win the world cup too.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and special mention to whoever that commentator was tonight. The worst I've ever experienced in a football match.

Is he getting lynched on Twitter?