User Tag List

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: ASDA Pizza

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Making your own pizza is the real way forward. The dough can be a pain in the arse, but a decent bread machine sorts that. No need for any of that stone in the oven shite either, a conventional fan oven cranked up to 11 is more than hot enough to do a decent job.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can pre-make the dough and freeze it, makes the prep much easier.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never had any success with frozen dough. It just ends up unimaginably sticky every time I have tried it.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This New Labour reunion is good.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still not buying this ASDA pizza stuff. Google images suggest it's not much better than frozen pizza or Pizza Hut or crap like that.

Does someone have a decent picture of one?

I'm very picky with Pizza, mind you, and will only really enjoy either homemade or proper stone-oven baked pizzas from these sort of deli-like hipstery italian places that have high bar stools, lounge music and serve too little wine in too big glasses.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you've just described my hell.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not saying all the places like that are necessarily nice. And they tend to charge a little too much (like, 13 quid?) for what is essentially still just a pizza. But, they do taste a lot better and after having had a few proper pizzas like that, you can't go back to any sort of greasy shit anymore.

It's the same with all these Gastro burger places. I wouldn't be able to touch a burger from McDonalds these days.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazuuurk View Post
    Not saying all the places like that are necessarily nice. And they tend to charge a little too much (like, 13 quid?) for what is essentially still just a pizza. But, they do taste a lot better and after having had a few proper pizzas like that, you can't go back to any sort of greasy shit anymore.

It's the same with all these Gastro burger places. I wouldn't be able to touch a burger from McDonalds these days.
    I'd go for McDonalds ahead of the pretentious shite that most burger places here have turned into these days. Everything catered to hipster cunts. Luckily the local pub does a good one though and it's just a pub.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do like the asda deli counter pizzas and their ilk, but they're enjoyable in a kind of dirty way. They're pretty average quality, and good just because there's shit loads of meat crammed onto it. Nowt wrong with that like, but nowt wrong with saying more expensive poncey stuff is, well, better. Reverse snobbery can be as irritating as the orthodox kind.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a little pizza place opened in Norwich which just does a few different types of pizza baked in a proper wood oven.

It's really, really good.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by igor_balis View Post
    I do like the asda deli counter pizzas and their ilk, but they're enjoyable in a kind of dirty way. They're pretty average quality, and good just because there's shit loads of meat crammed onto it. Nowt wrong with that like, but nowt wrong with saying more expensive poncey stuff is, well, better. Reverse snobbery can be as irritating as the orthodox kind.
    It's more the fact that, while generally regarded as better, they're not 3x or 4x better as the price would suggest.
    I still prefer the Asda ones personally though. All favcy restaurant ones tend to be the stone bsked type and I find them too dry and coveted in flour. Gives me cotton mouth.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well made pizzas and good service. Choice of toppings very limited. Tough if you you don't really want pizza. No fish option
    What a review that is, from Tripadvisor

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    It's more the fact that, while generally regarded as better, they're not 3x or 4x better as the price would suggest.
    I still prefer the Asda ones personally though. All favcy restaurant ones tend to be the stone bsked type and I find them too dry and coveted in flour. Gives me cotton mouth.
    3x or 4x more? Aren't the big deli pizzas about Ł4? Either supermarkets are actually charging over a tenner for pizzas, or you're talking about restaurants. In which case, well, I don't really need to explain the price differential.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paying for some twat to be rude to you and rush you through your dinner so he can get the next cunt at your table? Worth it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The vast majority of service staff I've ever come across have been perfectly nice.

I think it's you, mate.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    The vast majority of service staff I've ever come across have been perfectly nice.

I think it's you, mate.
    I don't do anything to warrant it. Even if the food or service is bad I'd never complain or anything. I just don't go back if it is.

Most service staff hate their jobs and their performance reflects it.

Mate.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's no reverse snobbery going on here. I've spent my TD lifespan discussing pizza, I genuinely prefer the Asda pizza to more expensive stuff. I didn't even get any meat at all on the one I bought last night, went for stonebaked base, BBQ sauce, mozzarella slices, chilli cheese, jalapenos and red onion, was banging.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paying for some twat to be rude to you and rush you through your dinner so he can get the next cunt at your table? Worth it.
    What the fuck kind of restaurants do you go to to have that sort of experience?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Favcy ones.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No horrible and overpriced ones it seems.

Nothing wrong with fancy restaurants but Giggles must have gone to the worst possible restaurants.

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    That Ukrainian dickhead I lived with used to get about four a week. One came at half-three in the morning once, and he wasn't back in time to collect it. I was absolutely seething.
    I shut the door on the delivery twat after he said 'It's alright I'll give him a ring' having just bashed our door off its hinges.
    What a tough chap you are.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honest Burger is good.

Anyone been to one of them?

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pizzas are shite. Extremely limited, and there's not much difference between shop bought and restaurant. You'd have to be an utter fool to pay more than Ł7 for one. I checked Pizza Hut delivery as I had a voucher for money off and fucking lol'd at their prices. How are they in business?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fwiw I'm not comparing Asda pizzas to fancy sit down places at all, this is a different kettle of fish. It's up against frozen or chilled supermarket pizzas or picking up from your Dominos and Pizza Huts, something to have at home for tea.

Decent sit down restaurant pizza can be had at Princi in London for around Ł11 which doesn't seem like too much, but going out in London is a fucking pain most of the time.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surely there are better offerings? I always joke with whoever I'm dining with that we can spot the lower classes quite easily as they always opt for the Pizza.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Samadini View Post
    Fwiw I'm not comparing Asda pizzas to fancy sit down places at all, this is a different kettle of fish. It's up against frozen or chilled supermarket pizzas or picking up from your Dominos and Pizza Huts, something to have at home for tea.

Decent sit down restaurant pizza can be had at Princi in London for around Ł11 which doesn't seem like too much, but going out in London is a fucking pain most of the time.
    Fair enough, that makes more sense to me.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For Ł4 I doubt it.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    Surely there are better offerings? I always joke with whoever I'm dining with that we can spot the lower classes quite easily as they always opt for the Pizza.
    Oh yeah the horrors of having to eat in the same establishments as average plebs. I bet you won't even bring your Monocle for fear of a good lynching. If only times were better.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A well-made pizza is great; unfortunately, very few places get it right.

Princi (and thus Sama) knows the score.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Princi place does look quite nice from the images of the food.

I usually go to this place in Stockholm:
    http://panevino.se/

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two interesting pizzas.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Princi place does look quite nice from the images of the food.

I usually go to this place in Stockholm:
    http://panevino.se/
    For a chain restaurant, Vapiano actually does a pretty nice pizza. I went to the one in Gamla Stan opposite the T-bana.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't go wrong with a wood-fired pizza.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luca View Post
    Favcy ones.
    Happens on a phone. A bit like birth/berth mixups, just can't be helped at times.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What the fuck kind of restaurants do you go to to have that sort of experience?
    I'm not sure what you mean by the top one, but I just don't like those stone baked Italian type pizza bases. The yanks can do pizza base but in this part of the world every restaurant feels the need to copy the stone baked kind and it's just not for me.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dominos is tasty, but obviously expensive and I'm simply not buying that the deli counter at Asda is that good.

The pizzas from the Tesco one are bang average.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As are the Morrisons ones. Asda or nothing. Your loss if you won't try them.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I'll give them a crack, but I'll do so whilst bracing myself for disappointment.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure you do it right then, start with a stonebaked base, make mozzarella slices one of your toppings, get it beasted in oil, head to the cinema, grab a Tango Ice Blast, get home, turn off all the lights, get FM on the go and only move to piss, shit, or pick up a slice you dropped on the floor.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long do they keep for? The nearest Asda is miles away from me so I'd have to pick 3 or 4 up for it to be worth the bother.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No idea to be honest, I've only resisted one staring at me in the fridge for a couple of days at most.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In relation to the issue of poncey burgers, I went to one of those Byron burger places today (in Chiswick). It tasted like Burger King.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to love the chicken topped stuffed crust asda pizza a few years ago. Came back from a year in Shetland and they'd changed it. It's now a waste of time.

I'm very much into those little pizza express pizzas you can get. I then buy a packet of 200g of cooked chicken breast and pile that (and some extra cheese) on top. Winner winner. Chicken dinner.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In relation to the issue of poncey burgers, I went to one of those Byron burger places today (in Chiswick). It tasted like Burger King.
    I went to Almost Famous in Manchester, and it was one the worst burgers I've ever had. I thought Five Guys was piss poor as well.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your hatred of "hipsters" is actually quite funny. The burgers being produced in these places are light years ahead of anything McDonald's does. Seems strange just to hate something different that tastes great for no reason.

@Giggles

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
    Your hatred of "hipsters" is actually quite funny. The burgers being produced in these places are light years ahead of anything McDonald's does. Seems strange just to hate something different that tastes great for no reason.

@Giggles
    I don't have to miss out though. Like I said above, my local does a great range of burgers without being full of insufferable cunts or the place being full of its own self importance.
    It's out at the moment unfortunately as my day for going was Sunday and it's clashing every week with the 'Ireland' rugby games so it's packed with bandwagoners. They'll be out soon enough though hopefully.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luca View Post
    For a chain restaurant, Vapiano actually does a pretty nice pizza. I went to the one in Gamla Stan opposite the T-bana.
    Yeah Vapiano isn't half bad. Although that place definitely is a bit more surface than substance, so to say. The olive trees and basil plants and lounge music and shit makes the ambiance quite nice, but the Pizzas are nice but a tad overpriced (much like the beer).

I'm not sure what you mean by the top one, but I just don't like those stone baked Italian type pizza bases. The yanks can do pizza base but in this part of the world every restaurant feels the need to copy the stone baked kind and it's just not for me.
    If it's one food the Americans can NOT do well, it's Pizza

They chuck shitloads of bad-quality cheese and these disgusting "pepperoni" slices (of something that I doubt has very much pig in it) on a spongy, too-thick bottom.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it almost inconceivable that someone could taste a stone-baked/wood-fired pizza and prefer a typical American oven-cooked one. Genuinely baffling.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find the base nicer on the American ones I had. You choose the toppings anyway so the base is the main factor for me. And I don't like the stone baked ones. How is that baffling? Do you want it in a different language or something?