Trent's fine where he is now. He's just a casualty of the injury crisis and I'm not talking about the defensive one, though that hasn't helped either.

If you imagine Liverpools strongest XI, you have Henderson in there, who is his biggest miss. The usual style is to keep both full backs high up the pitch, with Gini and Henderson tucking into the channels between the CB and advancing full back. Fabinho then usually sweeps up the middle. This is where Liverpool used to dominate teams into submission. The ball would almost always be won back on the press and even if you did get through all that, there was the small matter of Alisson and Van Dijk to still navigate.
It would be standard to not only see Liverpool with near 70% of the ball most games, but very few chances would be given up with that other 30%.

Now what is happening is that he's being left to kind of do it all himself. The midfielder on his side has tended to be Thiago who can't tackle and doesn't provide anything near the help Henderson would. This could be seen as a criticism of Klopp that he hasn't another guy who can play this role. Milner/Jones could be seen as the most similar but both tend to be the left side of the team when they play.

It also hasn't helped that while Aerially dominant, Nat Phillips doesn't get about the pitch greatly well.

I think you'll see Liverpool invest heavily in the summer, with or without a top 4 finish(I don't think we get it). Looks like Konate from Liepzig will be coming in, but a few new faces in the midfield/forwards department are surely a lock.