72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Atreyu.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can we start naming the pop punky bands of the time a la Alkaline Trio/Jimmy Eat World? I'm having a youtube nostalgia extravaganza here.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Emo' is the phrase I was looking for. A low point for humanity.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AFI were another of those.

I used Dancing Through Sunday as the background music for a little game I made for uni in late 2004. That and AM 180 by Grandaddy, which seem like excessively different choices for two marginally different levels of a little PacMan style game in which the mechanics never changed.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Emo was rubbish but none of the bands you mentioned were emo. Funeral For a Friend were probably my most hated band of that age.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alien Ant Farm?

I'd class Trivium as emo shit, by the way.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always hated the uniform whiny voice that seemed to be a requirement for lead singers, put me off the whole lot.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    AFI were another of those.

I used Dancing Through Sunday as the background music for a little game I made for uni in late 2004. That and AM 180 by Grandaddy, which seem like excessively different choices for two marginally different levels of a little PacMan style game in which the mechanics never changed.
    Now AFI did turn emo. Those first few albums were so good.

Which has then led me to H2O's Thicker Than Water which IIRC was the first mp3 file I ever downloaded. Got it from the Epitaph website on my schools connection, put it on to a floppy and took it home.

What a time to be alive.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fucking hell that is appallingly bad.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rival Schools

There was so much of this sort of nonsense and it all sounds the same but I loved it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alkaline Trio are the fucking tits.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two things today in Forensic Linguistics, during the lecture Harold Shipman was mentioned and the lecturer said 'You're probably all too young to remember this...'

Later in the seminar she was talking about false memories regarding the London bombings. I instantly recalled in my mind that there was something similar with 9/11 although didn't mention it as I wasn't sure exactly what it was (something along the lines of people believing they saw tower one get hit/collapse live), it then hit me that I was 14 when it happened and every other student in the room had probably just started going to nursery/reception...

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am I right in saying that the 9/11 thing is that those of us who were coming back from school to see it on the news all saw what would have been re-runs of the tower going down but have all forgotten the re-run bit? I'm sure I had that exact thing until I learned years later that the timing of it meant I couldn't possibly have seen any of it as it happened.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Am I right in saying that the 9/11 thing is that those of us who were coming back from school to see it on the news all saw what would have been re-runs of the tower going down but have all forgotten the re-run bit? I'm sure I had that exact thing until I learned years later that the timing of it meant I couldn't possibly have seen any of it as it happened.
    I discussed this with my dad a while back and he said the same thing. I was convinced I had stayed home from school that day for some reason.

To be fair though, I was 10 and I'm an hour ahead of you, I might've had a short enough day to be home for the second plane. Most likely it would've been re-runs though, as I'm not sure how fast news started airing in Sweden about it.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw the second tower live, as I was in my first year at college and had a free period so was in a shop in town. It's odd to think how news worked back then - when I returned to college some 2 hours later, no one knew. There were a few GPRS enabled phones, but no one consumed news on them - check scores of football perhaps, maybe download a ring tone and a background, that was all really in 2001. There were library PC's, but only 10 or so across a large student body, and again, people didn't consume news in the same way back then.

Bizarre when compared to 7/11 for example.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Merse View Post
    I saw the second tower live, as I was in my first year at college and had a free period so was in a shop in town. It's odd to think how news worked back then - when I returned to college some 2 hours later, no one knew. There were a few GPRS enabled phones, but no one consumed news on them - check scores of football perhaps, maybe download a ring tone and a background, that was all really in 2001. There were library PC's, but only 10 or so across a large student body, and again, people didn't consume news in the same way back then.

Bizarre when compared to 7/11 for example.
    If you were out and about sure, but if you were at home with a TV it was (IIRC which I probably can't) on EVERY single channel.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of which we had 5 (without sky, obviously). It was on 4 of them all day, pretty much non-stop on BBC 1 and ITV for 2 days.

It was a watershed moment, but yeah, my point is not really about people at home on a weekday. It was the last great event before social media, portable devices and mobile bandwidth and optimisation radicalised the way the world consumes news.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was off that day because it was the last day before going back. I rang my friend to see if he wanted to play football and he told me to stick the telly on. Then he came round and we played football. My old man told me it was probably Osama bin Laden, which I just repeated that at school the next day without knowing what I was on about, only to end up looking pretty great when his face started getting everywhere.

I was in sixth form for the London bombings, and I remember the early reports of a 'power surge' on the news (our common room had News 24 on all day for some reason) before going to lessons and coming back to find that the Muslims were at it again.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't for the life of me remember the London bombings (what I was doing, how I found out etc) but for 9/11 it feels so vivid.

I remember coming home from school (20p bus back then Although my journey was only about a mile if that but I was too lazy to walk), throwing my blazer and tie on the floor and turning on the TV to all the carnage.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When the London bombings were happening I was more concerned with watching something else, probably Sky Sports News. My sister was having a pop at me for it. For 9/11, I remember having a football match for my sixth form, so it must have been a Wednesday afternoon. Someone in the changing rooms mentioned something about it and on the way home my dad told me. He announced it like there'd been a death in the family.

I put a world timeline up in my classroom in September with key dates and events, including 9/11. Not one of the kids had a clue what it was (they weren't born until 2006/7). Although it maybe shouldn't have, that took me back a bit.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember when Princess Diana died despite not having a clue who she was, I felt the need to go and wake my mum up in the morning to tell her. You think it was 97(?) so I would have been maybe 12 or something, speaks volumes of her I think.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was annoyed Neighbours wasn't on because of 9/11.
    I was on holiday when Diana died and just remember my parents being mad at everyone caring so much, as we were just trying to make the most of being on our jollies.
    And I have no recollection of hearing anything about the London bombings. I honestly had no idea people held it in the same regard as 9/11.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was exactly the same. Clicked on BBC1 at 13.45 for a bit light relief down under and see a plane flying into a building instead. Diana dying was the last day of the school holidays, and also the first weekend of the Premier League season. Liverpool v Newcastle was the Super Sunday game and it got binned. Thank the lord for Football Italia which stayed strong through the hysteria.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They cancelled Premier League matches because of Diana?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just the Sunday game. Everyone else got to play theirs on the Saturday before she died. Sickening.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember watching the Diana stuff unfold on the TV (or lets test that theory now). I think it was breaking early morning which I rushed up to tell my grandmother to wake up with something like "Diana's dead" (missed my calling as a Doctor)

9/11 must have been after school but it definitely feels vivid enough that I watched it live but there is no way I wasn't in high school at the time.

No idea on what I was doing on the London one. It hasn't really connected in anyway or shock me to the core.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    9/11 (a.k.a. 11/9) I watched at work on some BBC live stream and had the news site on all day.

I was in London the week before 7/7 so that felt pretty weird, plus obviously I have far greater connection to here than to NYC. I think if something like that happened today it would have a much bigger impact, now I've lived here for several years. Even the Paris attacks made me feel a bit twitchy.

I can remember people losing their shit when Diana croaked but I didn't really understand what all the fuss was about and then ignored all the funeral nonsense.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was on the escalator at King's Cross underground for 7/7

Still remember the thing going off literally as I stepped on the upward escalator. 'There has been a reported emergency. Please leave the station immediately.'

That was one of the more entertaining days I think I'll ever have, even though essentially nothing actually happened to me all day.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For 9/11, one of my friends who goes home for lunch didn't come home for the last lesson of the day. I found that odd, but just assumed he was skiving. Having said that, I'm pretty sure it didn't kick off until 2pm our time, right? Lunch ended at 1.00pm for us - so perhaps he was skiving, and got lucky. Edit: Actually, this indicates that the first plane crashed at 12:53, so he would've just about caught it.

Noone said anything in school, although someone I know from another school said their last lesson was cancelled and they just sat and watched the news instead. Anyway, I got home and spoke to my parents, who said absolutely nothing about it. I went to my room and went on my PC like any other day. I started chatting to a guy on AIM that I met on an online e-wrestling forum () called BigBalla. I was still totally oblivious to anything happening, and I still remember the exact words he said - "Dude, the biggest terrorist attack of all time is happening, turn on the news".

And that was that, I just sat and watched the news for the rest of the day.

For 7/7 I was working in a warehouse, and it was announced live over the radio. It felt like a bad event, but probably not as important as it should have. Certainly didn't feel as significant as the recent Paris stuff.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was off shift for 9/11 and remember waking to see the 2nd one. 7/7 I've no recollection of or even anything about it til this day, but I was probably on a run of nights. I'd completely forgot about Madrid until I seen it mentioned when Paris happened and I'm not even sure I ever knew about it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My main memory of Diana is that during the minute's silence of her funeral (which again seemed to be on every channel) my younger brother, who was learning to use the toilet, roared down the stairs, "CAN SOMEBODY COME AND WIPE MY BUM?!"

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw the second plane hit, I remember it was a free day so I was lazing about watching Cash in the Attic or one of those kind of things and they cut to the World Trade Centre and what they thought was just a big fire.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember it being a half day, going round my mates house with two others to watch Dragonball Z (fucking ace we were), to find his mom glued to the TV. Remember the second plane going in but god knows if it was legit or not. After bout a few minutes, mates mom come over to me, don't remember much of the conversation but do remember her telling me I best head back home, which I did, to find my family in hysterics trying to get in contact with everyone (huge swathes of family in New York). Didn't really grasp what was going on at the time but looking back was rather surreal.
    Test.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    I remember watching the Diana stuff unfold on the TV (or lets test that theory now). I think it was breaking early morning which I rushed up to tell my grandmother to wake up with something like "Diana's dead" (missed my calling as a Doctor)
    Yeah. It was early morning. My gran woke me up to tell me the news. Err, yeah, great, thanks Gran. Then it was wall-to-wall save for the said heroic efforts from Channel 4. The most galling thing was that BBC1 and BBC2 were running the same coverage.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love it when the screen fades to black out of nowhere and you have about 15 seconds to try and guess what tragedy has befallen the nation before it cuts to the newsroom for a special announcement. Only witnessed it twice, once for the death of Princess Margaret early on a Sunday morning (interrupting an episode of the Wild Thornberries) and once when Pope John Paul II died, which I think was late on a weekday evening. Both letdowns, to be honest.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon the presenters of live shows are praying for something big to happen so they can be the first to tell you about it before heading to the news room. Imagine one of those live episodes of Eastenders and Dot having to tell the world the Queen has popped her clogs.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want it during a football match with Jonathan Pearce on commentary.

'And we're just hearing the Duke of Edinburgh has died... wait. Has he or hasn't he? Ohh, this is a shambles! Here's Lee Chung-Yong... OHHH WHAT A GOAL. Well, it's a sad day, but the little Korean has maybe put the smiles back on a few faces. But not if you're a Norwich fan.'

Or Peter Drury.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember waking up on the Sunday morning to watch whatever kids shows were on and it being news everywhere about Diana. I went and woke my mum to tell her and she was proper sad. She loves the royal family and especially loved Diana.

I think with 9/11 I'd just got in from school and was looking for CBBC or whatever then too. It was all just news coverage. I thought I remembered catching it before the second plane hit but I guess I probably didn't.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think 11/9 was the first time I was actually fearful of the world. I remember spouting crazy stuff to friends after it was all unfolding talking about war and going to fight in wherever. Really didn't know how to react or what to think during the event.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I distinctly remember being at work and hearing about a plane hitting the World Trade Centre and in my mind I assumed it was a Cessna or something small that had gotten off course. Wasn't long before we all just stopped and watched it unfold, I too seem to remember seeing the second plane hitting as I got home but who knows.

7/7 I was on here reading the thread (was it Ginner who we wondered about being caught up in it as well as Jimmy?) and watching the news while checking on friends and family etc.

We were at Dartmouth when Diana died, I think it was a Sunday morning which would normally be spent packing but instead it was wall to wall coverage and people popping in to say how terrible it was. I do recall being slightly thankful it hadn't been the weekend before as I'd have missed the Spa GP. Oddly enough this allows me to date the Danish massacre, which must have been a similar time of year because we were at the house for that as well, I remember having breakfast outside and my sister not believing me when I told her how many had been killed.

I'm trying to think what my earliest memories of this kind of stuff would be. I remember things like Piper Alpha, the Marchioness, Exxon Valdez, and Herald of Free Enterprise being on the news but other than 'late 80's' I couldn't tell you when they were.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seem to remember being heavily taken to task in the thread by Oimoi when I posted in a slightly out of breath fashion about 7/7 later in the day. Labour bastard. I was 16 and had just been at/around the site of a major terrorist attack.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the Danish Massacre?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SvN View Post
    For 7/7 I was working in a warehouse, and it was announced live over the radio. It felt like a bad event, but probably not as important as it should have. Certainly didn't feel as significant as the recent Paris stuff.
    On a sort of related note, do you think we moved on from that bloke deliberately crashing his plane into the ground a bit quickly? I'm not saying we should have gone all Scouse about it, but it was pretty unusual and mental.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SvN View Post
    What's the Danish Massacre?
    Anders Breivik, he bombed a load of government buildings then dressed up as a policeman and shot about 80 kids at some kind of summer camp on an island.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    Anders Breivik, he bombed a load of government buildings then dressed up as a policeman and shot about 80 kids at some kind of summer camp on an island.
    Why is it the Danish massacre? It happened in Norway.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Danish Massacre is that new film about transgender no?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shows how well I remember that then, I could actually tell you what I was having for breakfast that day though.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Danish, presumably.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I seem to remember being heavily taken to task in the thread by Oimoi when I posted in a slightly out of breath fashion about 7/7 later in the day. Labour bastard. I was 16 and had just been at/around the site of a major terrorist attack.
    What did he say?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't remember, it was 10 and a half years ago and I'm not Lewis. He was sneering in typical fashion at my giddiness at having been near it.