Page 22 of 43 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,100 of 2122

Thread: F1 2021 - Covid 2: Viral Boogaloo

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    There's going to be a real mystery about the end of the season, too. Two new tracks coming up and then the shitfest that is Yas Marina.
    They've changed 3 parts of the track to try and help it be a better race.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Max will crash out in one of the races

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have Massa interviewing hamilton at Interlagos Have they forgotten what happened back in 2008 at Glock corner. Man must be having flashbacks and holding back tears.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SincereTheRebel View Post
    They have Massa interviewing hamilton at Interlagos Have they forgotten what happened back in 2008 at Glock corner. Man must be having flashbacks and holding back tears.
    They had an interview with Glock pre-race about that. Guy was getting death threats and had to be smuggled out the country

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unreal drive from Lewis. Glad it happened as otherwise that was the Championship gone. Now Max still needs 1 win from 3.

Interlagos still remains one of the best tracks in the F1 calendar. Just brilliant.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pundit predictions once again absolutely useless.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waffdon View Post
    Max will crash out in one of the races
    If he does it'll be into Hamilton. He definitely has the inner-Schumacher to be doing that. Has the onboard/steering footage from yesterday surfaced yet? Hopefully he saves it for the last race [which I guess would make the most sense].

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently no such footage exists, i.e. Michael Masi didn't even have it himself. Can only hope that some kind of Zapruder tape emerges.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's physically recorded and will have to be physically recovered. The live feed chooses one in car angle at a time to broadcast and they changed to the rear view as Hamilton approached.

Either that or Alex Albon will have to do another reconstruction.
    Last edited by Disco; 15-11-2021 at 04:03 PM.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It Max is ahead into the final race he’s 100% barrelling into the side of Lewis.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Giovanazzi out, Zhou in at Alfa Romeo. That completes the 2022 grid I believe?

Piastri signs for Alpine but as reserve driver.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm keen to see how Zhou gets on.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry but there's no way he's better than Giovinazzi.

People get discarded way too early these days.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    Giovanazzi out, Zhou in at Alfa Romeo. That completes the 2022 grid I believe?

Piastri signs for Alpine but as reserve driver.
    Money making scheme.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zhou is decent, about the same level as Giovanazzi but without the experience I would say. The lure of a Chinese driver who isn't terrible will get him a few years at the back of the midfield.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The footage is out and while he didn't open the steering he clearly chooses a line and braking point that means he's never making the corner and left no space on the outside.

https://streamable.com/tp7dub
    Last edited by Disco; 16-11-2021 at 01:42 PM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can all his defenders not see that he's a full car length behind going into the corner and then just doesn't brake in order to force Hamilton off the track? The steering is neither here nor there.

Like I said in the moment, it was dirty as anything.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, even if he’s factoring in the available run-off, he’s lost the position. And Giovanazzi’s put in some solid results this season. It’s a shame he’s out

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zhou going in against Bottas is a hiding to nothing as well. We may lol at Bottas when he's up there dicing with the greats, but in a midfield context he's a seriously good driver.

As ever we need 3 more teams on the grid, I miss the no hopers from the 90s.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The worst thing you can say about Bottas is that he's fractionally worse than the most successful driver ever and the brightest prospect of the last decade.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10 race wins, the same as Hunt, Peterson, Berger and Scheckter. Pretty useful.

I can't recall more than about 2 of those Berger wins. I guess most of them were in the McLaren alongside Senna.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where does he rank with the most race winners who are without a title. The likes of Massa, Rubens, Webber and Squarehead. Is he miles ahead of them?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    T6 in that regard. Moss, Coulthard, Reutemann, Massa and Barrichello ahead of him.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just checked and I would have guessed Bottas had about 20 wins. Massa on 11 is surprising. In my mind, he was at the front for years but half his victories came in the season he was champion for 14 seconds.

It goes to show how difficult it is to be a race winner.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Merc have, unsurprisingly, complained to the FIA (or whoever one complains to over such matters) about the Max defence line.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No way they'll impose a penalty now, unless they are of the 'watch the world burn' disposition.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At most a pointless reprimand or some of those license points that have never meant anything ever.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SincereTheRebel View Post
    Just checked and I would have guessed Bottas had about 20 wins. Massa on 11 is surprising. In my mind, he was at the front for years but half his victories came in the season he was champion for 14 seconds.

It goes to show how difficult it is to be a race winner.
    Yeah, it was a window of opportunity for him. He was in Kimi and Schumi's shadow and Kimi suspiciously (allegedly) was off the boil in 2008. And then Fernando turned up.

One prevailing thing I'm starting see from youtube retards is how '2008 would've been so different if Alonso hadn't cheated in Singapore'.

Those traffic lights were a disaster. Ferrari cost him, not Alonso.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People trying to downplay the greatness of Lewis Hamilton can safely be filed away as idiots. It's the worst kind of doublethink bullshit, looking for the facts you wish were there. There are better cases against Schumacher, but I still won't make them, because why would you? The guy was truly great.

101 wins.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with Schumacher is that it's widely acknowledged that he cheated his way to at least one title with Benetton due to them using technology that was against the rules, cheated to another title by blatantly taking out Damon Hill in the final Grand Prix of the 1995 (?) season and had his teammates letting him past on the final lap on races (on a reasonably regular basis) so he could win them whilst at Ferrari. They are a couple of other incidents that leave a very bad taste too.

Good driver? Yes. Had things rigged in his favour many times? Yes. Absolute twat? Yes.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just seen Verstappen's onboard. Not much else to be said, really. He brakes too late to make the corner and barely applies any steering until he realises he's off track.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The steering isn't the issue, it's the lateness of the braking that guarantees both are going off. If he'd turned the wheel anymore in the braking zone, he locks up and probably ends up in Hamilton's sidepod.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn’t Hamilton win?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thommo View Post
    The steering isn't the issue, it's the lateness of the braking that guarantees both are going off. If he'd turned the wheel anymore in the braking zone, he locks up and probably ends up in Hamilton's sidepod.
    Indeed. At the limit of traction, applying more steering will not get you to turn any more.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    People trying to downplay the greatness of Lewis Hamilton can safely be filed away as idiots. It's the worst kind of doublethink bullshit, looking for the facts you wish were there. There are better cases against Schumacher, but I still won't make them, because why would you? The guy was truly great.

101 wins.
    I keep getting the "But he's in the best car" argument from these people. I could maybe allow that for 2 of his titles. When the hybrid era hit, it took everyone a good 2 years to even be competitive, but he still has 5 others to speak of. He came in and immediately usurped the media darling Fernando. He beat Massa to a title he didn't have much right to, in his own back yard, the next year.

In fact, it's only a genuine rookie error in China and a bit of engine trouble in 2016 that's stopped him currently being a 9-timer already.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    I keep getting the "But he's in the best car" argument from these people. I could maybe allow that for 2 of his titles. When the hybrid era hit, it took everyone a good 2 years to even be competitive, but he still has 5 others to speak of. He came in and immediately usurped the media darling Fernando. He beat Massa to a title he didn't have much right to, in his own back yard, the next year.

In fact, it's only a genuine rookie error in China and a bit of engine trouble in 2016 that's stopped him currently being a 9-timer already.
    I don't buy the best car argument, especially if you want to argue if he is better than Hamilton because they probably had the best car for an equivalent number of years. Schumacher also deserves some credit for building up the Ferrari in his early years at the team. What grates with me is that Schumacher's teammates allowed to win races by letting him past - sometimes on the finish line. Hamilton's teammates never did this.

Also he cheated to win the title in 1994. This is a well established fact. Hamilton has never cheated his way to an F1 title.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many times did Rubens pull over for Schumi? I know Austria 2002 sticks in the mind, but I don't think there were too many examples.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was that odd photo finish they tried at Indy but I'm not sure that's the same.

As for Hamilton not cheating his way to a title: He nearly won in Spygate.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Schumacher rarely needed people to move over and it was normally Ferrari doing the ordering rather than him. I would say Hamilton had a greater car advantage for longer but you can only beat the opposition in front of you and it's not a metric used for any of the other multiple title winners. No-one is getting at Fangio for putting himself in the best machinery every year for example, or couching any of Senna's comebacks in terms of how much of a game changer the MP4-4 was.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Senna's first title probably had the biggest car advantage ever. Second half of 1991 they were getting battered by Williams so he did well to hold on for the third.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Following on from that, Mansell in 92 is the biggest advantage I can think of. I reckon he could have won some of those races in reverse.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    How many times did Rubens pull over for Schumi? I know Austria 2002 sticks in the mind, but I don't think there were too many examples.
    I'm probably misremembering the amount of times this happened but I remember both Barrichello and Eddie Irvine having to do it.

As for easiest title win. Maybe Mansell's in the Williams? Or when Button won the title maybe?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    Following on from that, Mansell in 92 is the biggest advantage I can think of. I reckon he could have won some of those races in reverse.
    Agreed.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    If you factor in his team mate being Dicky Patrese rather than Prost, then yeah.

Hill's Williams in 1996 was also pretty useful vs the competition.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Button had an advantage for about 6 or 7 races but they had zero development that year so the rest caught up pretty quickly. He had to get a result in Brazil to clinch the title as I recall.
    Last edited by Disco; 17-11-2021 at 05:51 PM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of Vettel's titles was a total breeze. 2011 maybe?

Schumacher 02 and 04 and a couple of Hamilton's also total walkovers. I really find it difficult to distinguish between seasons in the hybrid era.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seb has had 2 total breezes. 2011 was great but 2013 saw him win 13 of the 19 races, including the last 9 on the bounce.

His first title was great though. There were any of about 4 drivers on the final race that could have walked away with the prize. He was also the one who was hunting Button down after the rest of the field caught on to the double diffuser. Would have caught him too but for a few retirements.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I miss the Interlagos finales. Abu Dhabi is the worst possible venue for an exciting denouement, I don't care how many corners they change, it stinks. It's too long.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have the data. What track gives the most overtakes. Put them all towards the end of the calendar.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately producing a decent race is not amongst the things they take into account when putting the calendar together, sort of odd when you think about the sprint race stuff.