0 0%
Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: F1 2021 - Covid 2: Viral Boogaloo

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure I'm sold on this. 17 laps is enough to recover from a fuck-up. Binning it in normal quali ruins your weekend. It doesn't have the stakes.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tell that to Sergio Perez.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was ok but the 'battle' at the front was over after 2 laps and you could see people settling from fairly early on. It looked more than anything like a free tyre test for tomorrow.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a huge fan, after this one event. It all looked a bit pedestrian because pit stops are not even a consideration.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, all the drivers and the crowd celebrated far harder yesterday than they did for today's result. Not saying this format doesn't have its place, and I would certainly like to see experimentation at other circuits, but on first viewing the normal three sessions seem better.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like doing it at only some events makes it feel a little unfair. You do it everywhere or not at all. In other news, I've decided I might start putting race reviews up on my youtube. I'm picking whatever race winds up in my recommendations and just seeing if it's a good race or not.

First up is 1984's Austrian Grand Prix. I'm going in with as little context as possible and I think that's the Prost/Lauda at McLaren year.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was nice seeing more on track action, but I don't think it offers much that the current set up doesn't.

The only real thing of interest was to see if Bottas starting on the softer tyre could do anything, but it seemed as if it was too hot for them to work.

The mediums seemed cooked after 17 laps on a low fuel car too, so if we have the same temps tomorrow, we could be looking at a 2-3 stop race.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they'll just drive slower and nurse them long enough to take the hards and go to the end, even though that almost backfired last year in similar conditions.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sprint races work in dogshit spec categories, because everyone has the same chassis so there is a chance of meaningful action. In a proper formula like F1 they are pointless pap. It ain't broke, even if Liberty seemed convinced that it is.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was confused by the sprint races. I thought the whole point of them was that the good cars start at the back?

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. Im all for two sprint races with the second race, in reverse order.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not when only the first 3 get points. They'd tank it in practice.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sprint races are only acceptable when racing on souped up volvos.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First glance says Max deserved to go off there.
    He was weaving all over the place to cling on.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that was pretty inevitable, Hamilton had enough of letting him go.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having looked at the replay, Max does leave Lewis some room but he was still moving too much for my liking.

It’s been very nice and respectful between the two so far, but we’ll see what happens now.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They both left enough room, racing incident all day long.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoever is going the bbc live text has had 4 power wanks at this stage. John Lewis becoming Schumacher too, maybe it just comes with age no matter how much you’ve won. Shame for Ray Charles though.
    Last edited by Giggles; 18-07-2021 at 04:53 PM.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great recovery drive. He's having to really fight for his wins these days. Nice to see the penalty didn't cost him.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only argument against Lewis there was he was understeering at the apex. Gutted for Leclerc though, it was a mega drive.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Early thoughts on Austria '84:

That pit entry looks real dodgy. Helmut Marko skulking the grid and talking to Lauda is weird. Like, I know he had a fairly successful racing career but I can reconcile that with the Red Bull puppetmaster. The layout looks like the current one-ish on paper but it's so much longer and sweeping. And there's not much in the way of barriers. Seeing a photographer on the inside of the Bosch curve made me wince a little.

One red flag after a Dutchman went off. Didn't seem necessary and he made it back under his own power. Piquet looked to have bogged down on the restart but held the lead. Prost was right on him, in fairness. Lauda's in 4th but, given this is his Championship year, he must get back to winning ways. My German's not great but I think the video title gives it away.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Teds Notebook is so good. You almost dont have to watch the race.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I've seen the incident at speed, I can understand the shit Hamilton's getting for it. Not intentional but he had space to use on the inside. I think he was expecting Max to back out and Max was expecting Lewis to go inside and give him room. Now each other know what they're dealing with.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a classic case of 2 not going into 1.

The interesting thing about it, is that we've known Max to be extremely aggressive throughout his career. Lewis knows this better than anyone and has played fair game with him. I feel like the sprint yesterday has told Lewis he's going to have to up the ante if he wants to beat Max this year.

This is the first time Lewis has shown the aggression back. I also believe Max would have done exactly as Lewis did if the cars were swapped.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Teds notebook covered this, apparently Hamilton saw in the sprint race that they have an advantage on cool tyres so it was get in front lap 1 or lose by a mile.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the first time Hamilton hasn't backed out, he did at Imola and Spain (?) when Verstappen threw a move down the inside and forced him to move or have a crash. Today he opted for not moving, or rather staying in the corner. And on the move itself, Verstappen leaves him space on the right/down the inside (and knew he had taken it) but the inevitable consequence of doing that is that the car on your inside is going to be wider through the corner. Multiple other drivers throughout the day opted to go slightly wider, Verstappen did not and he found a car slightly off the apex when he turned into his normal line. I think if the positions were reversed Hamilton runs it wide and maybe loses the spot but isn't in the barrier (or hospital). Verstappen is completely ruthless and it's great to watch but every now and again he runs across someone who calls his bluff.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had a look, I'm going racing incident. If either of them wants to pull out of that they can and there's no crash, but neither of them did, ergo crash.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He also pulled the same move on both Norris and LeClerc and neither ended up in a hospital.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Very disappointed to be taken out like this," Verstappen said.

"Watching the celebrations while still in hospital is disrespectful and unsportsmanlike... but we move on."
    I've always found Max alright, even quite liked him at times, but I'm prepared to get the Come On Tim Union Jack bunting out for my guy Lewis if Gouda Gary is going to start rolling out this sort of nonsense.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Max is going to be a bull in a china shop in Hungary. He’ll dive bomb Hamilton at the first opportunity.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll mean he'll drive like he always has then?

Fucking lol at Horner and co crying about that crash. I know myopia is a given in such matters but do they just expect everyone to dive out of Verstappen's way as he bowls around with his high-risk hyper-aggressive driving style? Hamilton also overcoming the penalty to win in the last few laps only added to the amusement. Thought it was funny how Martin Brundle (was it?) kept going on about Hamilton having been given the second most lenient penalty. Assuming we're not saying that's black flag territory ( Dr Marko ), isn't it also the second most severe (ie the middle) penalty? 5s, 10s, stop-go?

Demolition derby for the rest of the season.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Horner has always been the whiniest prick on the grid, it's definitely not going to change after his boy has a trip to Northampton General.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is quite astonishing that with a pace, tyre and points advantage, Max decided to do all that on lap one. He wins that race the first DRS zone he comes to. He wins every race from there. It's his championship and if he bins it, it's on him.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This jus popped up on my YouTube recommended:

https://youtu.be/QtDPQQQWP_M

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw this the other day - really shows how fast an impact that was. The way the broadcast cameras work, you never really get a full sense of the speed of the cars now, constant zooming in and out to keep it fully in shot (and no doubt please the sponsors) dampens the feel of speed.

Have you heard Max's radio after the shunt? Proper grape lady vibes.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a factor of the aerodynamics as well, I'm sad enough to sometimes watch old 90's stuff and the cars look faster because they're less planted despite being multiple seconds a lap slower.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Part of the evidence Red Bull presented in their appeal of Hamiltons' penalty was 'a reconstruction by Alex Albon'

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did lol at that. A true expert in naive collisions with Hamilton.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was definitely a home town shout though.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He got a 10 second penalty. I'm not sure what else they were meant to do.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m sure you were all calling for 10 second penalties when Schumacher was at it over the years.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't call to mind that many Schumacher collisions that were punishable. 1994 was kind of debatable. His car was borked, he couldn't exactly test out his handling when Damon was immediately on him. 1997, he was disqualified for an intentional act. Monaco, punished again. Did he get punished for running Barrichello close to the wall?

It's worth noting more penalties are given out now to more people. 11 drivers ended last season with penalty points. Albon topped that.

The current list:

Lando: 8
    Russel: 6
    Vettel: 6
    Kimi: 6
    Giovanazzi: 5
    Latifi: 6
    Mazepin: 5
    Tsunoda: 4
    Stroll: 4
    LeClerc: 2
    Hamilton: 2
    Bottas: 2
    Ocon: 1
    Ricciardo: 1
    Sainz: 1
    Gasly: 1

Only Verstappen, Schumacher and Alonso have none. We're not even half way through the season.
    Last edited by Shindig; 31-07-2021 at 09:13 AM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone else already bored of how certain things are now always talked about in the context of the cost cap? Every crash, new engine, or large cup of coffee is apparently spelling financial doom for the team involved. The reality is the cap is so high that it barely affects the highest spending teams let alone any of the midfielders, rather than call out their bullshit all they're doing is adding to the propaganda coming from the teams as they try and get the early arguments in for when the cap is inevitably lowered. Even then things like replacement parts or crash damage is already figured into the budget, they don't run out the back and knock up a new wing every time Tsunoda bins it in practice these things are already manufactured. In fact the amount of stuff they simply throw away is staggering and must dwarf the cost of anything damaged in crashes.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But that crash cost Red Bull $1.8m!

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that what they reckoned?

Given that you can buy a rolling chassis for about £300k that seems unlikely unless their new suspension is made of faberge eggs or something.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...TbLQu5IYc.html

That's coming from Horner though, so make of that what you will.

Sounds like the engine wasn't saved either, which was not long put in, so you've likely got Max having to take a penalty come Monza time to get a fresh one in.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it's a bit bollocks. I could see that if the gearbox and engine were written off but that engine's in the car this weekend. With the threats of Red Bull bringing their own lawyers to the table, you could see them getting fined for bringing the sport into disrepute.

Bernie would've laughed them out the building.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh so they did save it. Further SEETHE if that craps out at some point during the weekend then.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In FP1 they said it went back to Japan to be checked and is ok, didn't have to break the seal on it so no penalty. Which you have to believe is true (and rather impressive) because they'd be milking it to death otherwise.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    Yeah, it's a bit bollocks. I could see that if the gearbox and engine were written off but that engine's in the car this weekend. With the threats of Red Bull bringing their own lawyers to the table, you could see them getting fined for bringing the sport into disrepute.

Bernie would've laughed them out the building.
    The stewards basically did just that, they said the content of the appeal failed to meet the criteria to even be heard.