• Alex Albon

0 0%
Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: F1 2021 - Covid 2: Viral Boogaloo

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think both have underestimated Russels closing speed. Bottas has moved slightly which has caused him to flinch. DRS open and on the damp part of the track, a sudden movement has sent him off balance and into the side of Bottas.

Not a good look to go seething over to Bottas still in the cockpit either.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just seen the highlights. Lewis lost it on his own and went in too hot. It's a shame because he had the pace to beat Verstappen. It's clear from everyone spinning that there was only one line and everyone seemed to take chances. Russell's been a bit of a twat. He got his rears lit up and spun into Bottas. He should've been more patient.

It felt at times like a 90s race with how different the pace was between cars. I can't remember the last time someone won by 20+ seconds in a hybrid. At the other end, Haas look well adrift. All they can hope for is attrition to bring them closer to the pack. 2 laps adrift despite getting one lap back in the restart.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hamilton won by 30 at Istanbul (also rain affected).

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a good place to find highlights? Like I don't want to watch the full race but I think there was more than four minutes thirty six seconds of action too.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm no expert but Russell looks like a complete spoilt brat loser that absolutely fucked it then blamed someone else. Pathetic. In the bin with you George.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've just described every single one of the current field. You should have seen them playing e-sports, as soon as one of them crashed/went off they would cry off or demand a restart.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    I'm no expert but Russell looks like a complete spoilt brat loser that absolutely fucked it then blamed someone else. Pathetic. In the bin with you George.
    Lol yeah he fucked up but it’s not the end of the world.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be a bit miffed at Williams. That was nailed on to be their first point since mid-2019. Still, 21 races to go and all that.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stroll and Kimi and been handed post race penalties. Knocks Kimi out of the points.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aww, track limits. Kimi was done for some restart spinny bollocks.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unheralded corners in motorsport: Symmons Plains Raceway edition

That hairpin is a downhill positive camber corkscrew with at least three different lines through it. The sequence off the line is pretty great too, uses the contours of the land as every good circuit should (nobody mention Silverstone).

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enjoying the historics going around Monaco at the minute. Jean Alesi's been fun to watch.

The race between Alesi and Werner just finished. A proper Monaco battle. Werner's livid.
    Last edited by Shindig; 25-04-2021 at 01:51 PM.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a strange Q3 that was. No one able to switch the softs on and Mercedes looking very strong on the mediums.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It fell a bit flat at the end there didn't it, feels like a step too hard on the compounds plus the wind which is basically deleting laps at random.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It baffles me that after all these years of broadcasting F1 they still haven't figured out that you can ask people questions away from all the noisy machinery.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was Kimi asleep? He just drove into the back of his teammate. He didnt even try and drive around him.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about Kimi, but I certainly was. It was boring as shit.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, this was pedestrian. Russell went backwards, there wasn't that much going on in the midfield and the top three quietened right down. At least a Haas overtake happened.

In an effort to inject some excitement into it, Mazepin had the fastest lap at one point. Comparing Schumacher, Latifi and Nikita's best laps, Nikita's are all over the place. His best of the race coming on the last tap (1:23.6). Schumacher's more consistent with his best coming a few laps from the flag (1:22.7). Despite being out of sorts (ish), Latifi managed a 1:23.1.

It'd be interesting (well, maybe not) to see if those gaps come down over the season. Maybe not in terms of the Haas teammates but seeing if Nikita can close towards Latifi.
    Last edited by Shindig; 03-05-2021 at 10:06 AM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought that was a good race, am I just that sad of a cunt? Close at the front, divergent strategies through the midfield, another demonstration of Hamilton having to try, what's not to like?

In other news the americans are at it again, this afternoons viewing will be the Buschy McBusch Race 400.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MotoGP's still looking odd. Ducati's are looking strong and Marquez managed another 10th place. I'll give it til the usual summer break to see if he's back to business.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's felt like a complete lottery so far, some of them can't carry pace from qualy to the race and most of the rest can't do their pace without running out of grip. Suzuki being all slow and steady might just pay off again.

I love this stat; the Buschy McBusch Race 400 was won by Kyle Busch on his birthday (the reduced capacity crowd still booed him of course) thereby maintaining his 100% win record in races run on his birthday.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "No, they're saying Happy Boorthday."

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    100 poles for Hamilton.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A decent stat but I'm still boggled by Senna's 65 from 162 starts.

One look at the Formula 3 grid has me doing double-takes with the amount of names in there.

Arthur Leclerc
    Jack Doohan
    David Schumacher
    Matteo Nannini
    Enzo Fittipaldi

Eduardo Barrichello's floating about in the not-Formula Renaults and Enzo Trulli, Lorenzo Patrese and Sebastien Montoya are in F4. David Schumacher looked decent until Fittipaldi biffed him in today's race. The young'ns seem to really like colliding at the first corner in Catalunya.
    Last edited by Shindig; 08-05-2021 at 07:11 PM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it safe to say, as long as you have the funding and teaching? If you are thrown into a racing car from a baby age, you can get to a pretty high level? Actually, it is like that with most sports

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say compared to other sports it's not that competitive in terms of talent you have to beat, but it is far more competitive in terms of ever getting into a racing car at all, and those with fathers who did so obviously have a big leg up.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where did I read that Martin Brundle was shit hot and as good as anybody but just never got the right break[s]? Is that even right? If so, once you take the top, top drivers out of the equation, is there that great a talent gap between the bottom of the grid and the best people in sportscar racing (say) these days?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The top 12-14 in F1, pretty reliably through the eras, are there because they are blindingly quick and there's no real getting away from that. The pay drivers and a couple of bozos like Giovinazzi could be replaced by others to a similar level, but there's no one who could win races or take it to the top guys. The list of sportscar greats is full of people who didn't quite have the pace edge in F1 but are a mega-reliable pair of hands over endurance distance; Buemi is the current example, then you can go back to Allan McNish, Derek Bell and so on.

Brundle was very good; he took it to Senna in F3, and didn't disgrace himself against Schumacher in his only good F1 car in 1992. He may not have been world champion material but he could have won races with different luck/circumstances. He was in the 12-14 top guys.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The difference now is the pay drivers are arguably better. Although that may be down to the fact the grid is tighter. Mazepin's legitimately the first one of the turbo era that looks lost.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brundle was also unlucky in having his career overlap with Piquet/Prost/Mansell/Senna/Schumacher/Hakkinen. In my time watching Jonny Herbert is 'the one that got away' given that he still managed a very successful career with a total of about 1/3 of a functioning foot, Kubica too for similar reasons. Sportscars has plenty of people (Kobayashi, Buemi to name just two) who could do a decent job in F1 but the barriers to entry are so high that unless you come through the feeder series you aren't getting a chance, and if you take more than a few races to get up to speed then you're unlikely to get a second shot without a whole heap of backing. You don't even get other single seater series feeding into F1 much anymore, Super Formula and Indycar both have some excellent drivers but unless you're Mclaren and have a foot in both camps there's nobody willing to give them enough time in the car and not many drivers (in Indycar especially) willing to give up what they have in order to trundle about not scoring any points.

I'd probably say F1 has the best 10 drivers in the world at any given time, the rest are there via funding, inertia, or because they're Italian and Ferrari think we haven't noticed there are no decent Italians any more.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    The difference now is the pay drivers are arguably better. Although that may be down to the fact the grid is tighter. Mazepin's legitimately the first one of the turbo era that looks lost.
    He's actually not a bad driver either, looked good in F2 and won races last year in basically a brand new team, also tested a Mercedes quite competitively in the past. Two vastly more experienced and better drivers struggled for years to make sense of that car and never could, two rookies with little experience have no chance.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a bit puzzled by how easily Mick is dunking him. I thought they'd struggle to more or less equal degrees.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not puzzled by it. Mick's a GP2 champion. Nikita is not. The spins I can sort of forgive because the one he had this weekend happened when he was being gentle on the throttle. He really, really dislikes driving it whereas Mick is just getting on with the job at hand.

I'd also put money on them giving Mick as much attention as he needs. They know he's the talent they have to nurture. Given their finances, they would love to move him on mid-season for the big bucks.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The older heads are losing to their less experienced teammates so far on race performance.

Ocon>Alonso
    RichieRich>Vettel
    Norris>Ricciardo

Still lots of time left

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure you can draw that many conclusions, I certainly think someone has told Mick his best chance at a proper F1 career is to keep his head down and appear to make as few mistakes as possible.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's this stuff that annoys me. Apologising in the moment and then blaming the team in the press is unforgivable.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being a tit doesn't help, but I don't know where the pace is.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great start by Max and for the race, this could get good.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Schumacher up to 16th. Mazepin was on the back of Latifi but now he's a second back.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The TV direction has been awful in this race. They need to just keep it trained on Verstappen and Hamilton, who gives a fuck about Alonso pitting.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When they were clearly getting ready to pit we were being treated to the battle for 17th.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't matter what tyres he has on, the Merc is too slow through that stupid chicane.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bottas with a full fuck you to Lewis there.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand why you would race Hamilton there, they're on different strategies so all it's going to do is piss the team off.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if they had any spare sets, but I would love to have seen Red Bull react to Lewis’ second stop by waiting five laps and putting him on softs for the last 15-20. Not pitting Max at all was never going to work.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hamilton had more pace, to the point he could follow Max within the dirty air. Once they didn't immediately respond on the next lap the race was lost whatever they did.

The speed those two have over their team mates, but also the rest of the field is laughable.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's ok guys, Checo just needs a clean weekend.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did people think Perez would be close to Max? He's doing better than I thought, if anything.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Checo's there to block Bottas rather than compete directly with Max. Bottas could compete with Lewis if he could figure out how to get off the line.