User Tag List

Thread: Will Advice

Senior Member Alan Shearer The 2nd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will Advice

I feel this is the wrong forum for it...but are there any legal eagles here?

Long story short, dad died in December, his will is 15 years old and well out of date at that in regards to executors, i.e not me when it should be.

I'm not sure if the final page is likely to throw up legal issues in regards to its validity though. Can't seem to post the image in landscape for some reason-

Only my gran signed this as a witness. Obviously there is another space for a second witness and the paragraph wording implies more than one witness to me. Anyone have an idea how much of an issue that could be for the will to be considered 'valid'?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m not a legal person but have a bit of legal understanding from the financial advice side of things. I believe it has to be 2 people as a minimum. Also has got married or anything in those 15 years? As that makes it invalid anyway.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry about your Dad.

It wont be valid. They'll either go to a previous will that is valid or you and any other potential beneficiaries are going to have to get solicitors involved.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Echo Luke's comments. You're missing a second witness. Feel free to PM with any other queries (I worked in bereavement for several years).

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Emia View Post
    I’m not a legal person but have a bit of legal understanding from the financial advice side of things. I believe it has to be 2 people as a minimum. Also has got married or anything in those 15 years? As that makes it invalid anyway.
    Firstly, cheers for the responses.

No, my mum was listed as the main executor but my understanding is the divorce from my dad renders her role as that redundant. The will would read as it stands i.e. both my Uncles as executors, assuming it was valid.

I know there are differences in Scots Law and it looks like it might be the case here. Have a look here-

A valid Will, if executed on or after 1st August 1995, must conform to the Requirements of Writing (Scotland) Act 1995. The Act requires the document to be self proving, that is a written document, subscribed by the testator, signed on each separate page and witnessed on the last page by one identified person who is over 16 years old and has no mental impairment.

https://www.bereavementadvice.org/to...ry%20intention.

Assuming that is accurate, the wording in the will still implies 2 witnesses. Whether that matters or not I don't know.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't realise the estate was based in Scotland. Tell your uncles to crack on.

https://www.drummondmiller.co.uk/new...ect-your-will/

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok cheers. The trouble is they really shouldn't be on it, it's that out of date. Makes everything even more of a ballache than it would be if I could do everything on my own.

My dad's brother spoke with the bank and was going to send them a letter of renunciation in regards to him being an executor anyway. I'm not sure how that'll play out with other fund holders- would imagine as a minimum they'd need to see the same from my other uncle?

For example, he has over £10k in shares with Scottish Widows and they're saying I need to send them a copy of the will and have all executors sign the required form, see below-

I wonder how a letter(s) of renunciation would affect that? I'll need to phone them obviously and discuss anyway but it's such a fucking minefield.

While we're on the topic, I'd advise anyone to get onto their parents and make sure they have an up-to-date will. Along with them telling you where any monies/investments are. I've had to work off random statements and bits of paper just hoping I'm not missing anything important/valuable.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this merely an administrative pain in the arse, or do you stand to get Mahowed without a will?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the plan for both your uncles to renounce executorship? If so make sure they don't meddle with the estate in any way shape or form.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Is this merely an administrative pain in the arse, or do you stand to get Mahowed without a will?
    Administrative PITA.

Quote Originally Posted by Manc View Post
    Is the plan for both your uncles to renounce executorship? If so make sure they don't meddle with the estate in any way shape or form.
    It wasn't a 'plan' as such but I would see it having to be none or both. My dad's brother only messaged me about it yesterday after he had discussed with my dad's bank on what to do so assume they have suggested to him this is an option to go down.