User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: A thread (ten songs etc.)

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc View Post
    Any fans of Built to Spill? Somehow passed me by.
    Used to be way into You In Reverse but haven’t thought about them in years.

Elliott Smith covering Car was what got me into them. Pretty sure they covered him back recently too.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Mecury Prize shortlist is bleak.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely.

There's Nothing Wrong With Love, Perfect From Now On and Keep It Like a Secret is one of the great album runs of the nineties. The middle of the three in particular being an absolutely class record.

I also think Doug Martsch is one of the more underrated guitar players of his generation. He's fantastic.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perfect From Now On is a top 5 of all time contender for me. Fond memories of listening to that on grey rainy mornings on the school bus.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Top 10 BTS tracks @Alex? In order or not.

Temporarily Blind
    Broken Chairs
    Twin Falls
    Randy Described Eternity (my clear no. 1 - the opening lyrics were just incredible to 12 year-old me)
    I Would Hurt a Fly
    Velvet Waltz
    Out Of Site
    Car
    Aisle 13 🥰 (one day I’ll come home to find you covered with ants ‘cause you’re so sweet)
    In The Morning (love the outro)

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funnily enough they came up recently as I was doing my rounds on rateyourmusic, last.fm etc. They're pretty good. perfect from now on was the record I gave a go, solid 7/10 on first listening.

The other band I've tried to do a deep dive on recently are Wilco and I dunno, not feeling it. Some bangers including the obvious hits like Jesus etc and can't stand it, but the albums really drag. Mermaid avenue is class but it doesn't really count as a wilco/Billy Bragg/Walt Whitman weird collaboration thing. Especially way over yonder in the minor key.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJay View Post
    Top 10 BTS tracks @Alex? In order or not.

Temporarily Blind
    Broken Chairs
    Twin Falls
    Randy Described Eternity (my clear no. 1 - the opening lyrics were just incredible to 12 year-old me)
    I Would Hurt a Fly
    Velvet Waltz
    Out Of Site
    Car
    Aisle 13 🥰 (one day I’ll come home to find you covered with ants ‘cause you’re so sweet)
    In The Morning (love the outro)
    Cracking list. I would go something along the lines of:

Randy Described Eternity
    I Would Hurt a Fly
    Kicked it in the Sun
    Car
    Broken Chairs
    Carry the Zero
    Strange
    Goin' Against Your Mind
    When I'm Blind
    Cortez the Killer (From the "Live" album - I'm a sucker for people covering Neil Young, and this is fucking mega, Doug Martsch has all the necessary guitar chops to carry all 20 minutes of it)

It's an ongoing battle between "I Would Hurt a Fly" and "Kicked it in the Sun" for my favourite Built To Spill song. They're both very different in tone but both share one of Built to Spill's big strengths, which is that they switch up with a couple of minutes to go and morph into quite different, but equally great, songs for the outro.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by igor_balis View Post
    Funnily enough they came up recently as I was doing my rounds on rateyourmusic, last.fm etc. They're pretty good. perfect from now on was the record I gave a go, solid 7/10 on first listening.

The other band I've tried to do a deep dive on recently are Wilco and I dunno, not feeling it. Some bangers including the obvious hits like Jesus etc and can't stand it, but the albums really drag. Mermaid avenue is class but it doesn't really count as a wilco/Billy Bragg/Walt Whitman weird collaboration thing. Especially way over yonder in the minor key.
    Mermaid Avenue is a proper strange but very good album. I'm not even sure how something like that comes together, but I'm glad it did. I love it. It's packed full of great songs but "At My Window Sad and Lonely" is my favourite on there, just a very beautiful song.

I like "Ingrid Bergman" too, because I just enjoy the notion that Woody Guthrie once wrote a very thinly veiled song about wanting to fuck Ingrid Bergman, probably thought "that's daft" and chucked it in a drawer and then 30 years after he died Billy Bragg rolls up and records it.

I absolutely love Wilco. My little brother is a long time fan and was always on my case to get into them but I'd only ever really glossed over them for a long time, I wasn't too bothered. But it just clicked with me maybe four years or so ago. I do find I have to be in the mood for them though. They're very, I don't know, I don't want to say "mellow" because they are not always that, but sort of quite a laid back listen.

My favourite Wilco album is a toss up between Being There and Summerteeth. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot obviously gets the majority of the plaudits, and that is fantastic too. But those two are the frontrunners for me.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is No Enemy is right up my street.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Mermaid Avenue is a proper strange but very good album. I'm not even sure how something like that comes together, but I'm glad it did. I love it. It's packed full of great songs but "At My Window Sad and Lonely" is my favourite on there, just a very beautiful song.

I like "Ingrid Bergman" too, because I just enjoy the notion that Woody Guthrie once wrote a very thinly veiled song about wanting to fuck Ingrid Bergman, probably thought "that's daft" and chucked it in a drawer and then 30 years after he died Billy Bragg rolls up and records it.

I absolutely love Wilco. My little brother is a long time fan and was always on my case to get into them but I'd only ever really glossed over them for a long time, I wasn't too bothered. But it just clicked with me maybe four years or so ago. I do find I have to be in the mood for them though. They're very, I don't know, I don't want to say "mellow" because they are not always that, but sort of quite a laid back listen.

My favourite Wilco album is a toss up between Being There and Summerteeth. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot obviously gets the majority of the plaudits, and that is fantastic too. But those two are the frontrunners for me.
    Aye I've given YHF and summerteeth a few goes and I think I prefer the latter. The numbers station conet project stuff does add a couple of marks to the former though.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Cracking list. I would go something along the lines of:

Randy Described Eternity
    I Would Hurt a Fly
    Kicked it in the Sun
    Car
    Broken Chairs
    Carry the Zero
    Strange
    Goin' Against Your Mind
    When I'm Blind
    Cortez the Killer (From the "Live" album - I'm a sucker for people covering Neil Young, and this is fucking mega, Doug Martsch has all the necessary guitar chops to carry all 20 minutes of it)

It's an ongoing battle between "I Would Hurt a Fly" and "Kicked it in the Sun" for my favourite Built To Spill song. They're both very different in tone but both share one of Built to Spill's big strengths, which is that they switch up with a couple of minutes to go and morph into quite different, but equally great, songs for the outro.
    Mmm forgot about Cortez The Killer - think I first heard that on the old spoiler ten songs thread on the old board.

Brings a tear to my eye thinking of all the music I discovered thanks to that thread.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5k...a66036873a4081

Rrose - Waterfall
    Talking Heads - Air
    Haress - I Think, I Think
    LCD Soundsystem - Someone Great
    Calvin Harris & Dua Lipa - One Kiss
    Doja Cat - Get Into It (Yuh)
    Richard Dawson & Circle - Methuselah
    Lapsley - Operator (DJ Koze Edit)
    FKA Twigs - Two Weeks
    Stromae - L'enfer

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Came across this guy recently: Anansy Cissé - if you like Songhoy Blues he's in that style

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Came across this guy recently: Anansy Cissé - if you like Songhoy Blues he's in that style
    Class, thanks.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I listened to him in the car this morning. Decent.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deer Scout - Woodpecker

A short album of lovely, slightly Big Thief-y folk rock. Big recommend from me.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pariah - Log Jam
    Jesu - Your Path to Divinity
    GODFLESH - LAND LORD
    Mandy, Indiana - Drag
    LUNGE - Off With Their Heads
    Elliott Smith - Angeles
    Arthur Russell - A Little Lost
    Olof Dreijer & MT Sims - Hybrid Fruit
    Squid - The Blades
    Mary Lattimore - Wawa By the Ocean

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6n...SWS5VHRnrkNmug

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A more prosaic/whiter ten from me:

Belle and Sebastian - Like Dylan in the Movies
    Beach House - Zebra
    Land of Talk - Some Are Lakes
    Love - Always See Your Face
    Matching Mole - O Caroline
    The Clientele - Losing Haringey
    Aldous Harding - Zoo Eyes
    Magnetic Fields - Abigail, Belle of Kilronan
    Frankel - Anonymity is the New Fame
    Death Cab for Cutie - I'll Follow You into the Dark

Very much into the first two (new to B&S, somehow). Last one I'm less fond of actually on later listens but whatever. On Elliott Smith, I think a vast amount of what I listen to is heavily influenced by him but I can never quite get into the original.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not even his “hits”? (Son of Sam, Waltz #2, Between the Bars, Miss Misery, etc?)

I go through phases of preferring Heatmiser (his rock band) especially the raw stuff, although Plainclothes Man will forever be the GOAT.
    I'm a twit