Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Football Manager 2021

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arne View Post
    I've just started a new journeyman save, 33 leagues loaded, mostly in Asia. Set my manager as lowest possible rating. Let's slog...

I hope you get into it cus this is exactly the kind of save I love to follow.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my base in Saigon, I started applying for jobs that I found interesting, and in leagues I had not yet managed in.

2 applications were DHL’d to Hong Kong, with both Eastern and Kitchee both looking for a new manager – however, these were long shots. Managing in Hong Kong is a long way from where I am now (sat on my balcony, in my underpants, enjoying afternoon sun).
    Kitchee and Eastern had finished 1st and 2nd last season in the HK Premier League with Kitchee qualifying directly for the 2021 AFC Champions League. Within 24hrs both had told me that my application was unsuccessful. Not even a zoom chat.

I became teary, sniffly and desperate and after those 2 quick rejections I immediately applied for 12 jobs - the majority of them half star reputation.

Sha Tin (HK Division 1)
    FC Ulaanbaatar (Mongolian Premier League)
    Nakhon Prathom United (Thai League 2)
    Chiangmai United (Thai League 2)
    Visakha (Cambodian C-League)
    Al-Shamal (Qatari 2nd Div)
    Al-Nasr (Qatari 2nd Div)
    Nzema Kotoko (Ghanaian 2nd Div)
    Wa Suntaa (Ghanaian 2nd Div)
    Tiga Naga (Indonesian 2nd Div)
    PSKC (Indonesian 2nd Div)
    Persis Solo (Indonesian 2nd Div)

I finished up my fried bat and coconut soup, enjoyed a cheeky late-night hot chocolate and went to bed at 9pm (GMT+7)

I awoke ready and raring to go - opened the lappy and headed straight to Yahoo! Mail....

I had been invited to Zoom interviews with Sha Tin, Ulaanbaatar and Tiga Naga (which I had really started to enjoy saying out loud). Elsewhere, I had received instant rejections from the 2 Qatari clubs and Thai teams. I was saddened by the rejection, but pleased that I had at least received some offers. Deep down I wanted to head to the Thai second division, however, given my lack of experience and penchant for a good massage, the rejection made sense.

The interviews went well, this despite my attempting to drop some questionable puns on the guys at Tiga Naga. FC Ulaanbaatar expressed that they were concerned by my only being a Sunday League footballer with zero management experience; I politely reminded them that they were based in Mongolia, had existed for 5 minutes (since 2010) and had finished 7th last season, a gentle nudge that perhaps Jose Mourinho was not likely in the running for the job.

Following the interviews, a mere 30 minutes later, all three offered me a gig (should this concern me??) – I dismissed Sha Tin as the offer of $1,200 per month was simply not enough to live on in Hong Kong – I would have had to sleep, eat and bathe at the Hong Kong Sports Institute Training Centre. The offer from Ulaanbaatar surprised me: $130-a-week, which in Mongolia would get me a nice penthouse apartment, and a couple of yak. The offer from Tiga Naga was $800 per month, plus free use of the sauna facilities on Monday and Wednesdays, and the chance to manage in front of some proper raucous crowds - the only downside was Tiga Naga was based in the Kampar Regency, a Muslim majority regency within the province of Riau.

2 days later I headed to Tan Son Nhat airport and peered up towards the departures board for my flight…

Toggle Spoiler

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What the fuck did I just read.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Badge could be the fake Crystal Palace one on Pro Evo.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First update since taking the reins at FC Ulaanbaatar and it’s going surprisingly well.

A quick look at the team and it revealed that we were not exactly stacked with talent. Our best player is 34yr old Japanese centre back Mizu Sasaki, whose playing history revealed that he hadn’t kicked a ball since 2019. Locally, our best player was the one and only Sukhbaatar Osokhbayar, a left back with tons of pace, a decent cross and bags of determination.

Mr Mizu
    Toggle Spoiler

Oso
    Toggle Spoiler

Depite having finished 7th last season, the bookies Baat365, had us at 10-1 third favourites. Mongolian giants, Erchim, who had won the title 7 years on the bounce from 2012-2018 found themselves going through a mini-crisis nowadays, and were 4th favourite. The only 2 teams in the league who didn’t come from the capital of Ulaanbaatar were Deren FC (Deren) and Khangarid (Erdenet).

So yeah, I decided given the somewhat agricultural strengths of the team, I decided to go with the old 4-4-2, playing on the back foot, quite direct, early crosses and essentially shooting on site.

Toggle Spoiler

Only 2 goals conceded in the first 9 goals suggests it’s the correct approach… so far. Outside of the first XI, it’s gets very thin, very quickly – so I think success this season is going to depend on injuries and suspensions.

Toggle Spoiler

Away from the field, the arsehole board don’t have enough money to fund a coaching course, so I’m stuck without any qualifications and ½ star reputation.

The short-term goal is to spend 2 years here, ideally qualifying for next seasons Asian Confederations Cup and the mega bucks that brings ($43k).
    Last edited by John Arne; 09-04-2021 at 07:26 AM.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very next game, Mr Mizu suspended. Beaten 2-1 by literal yak herders Anduud City FC. Now it all goes tits up.

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Girdwood's SPL dream is most definitely still alive.

All that said, this is still by some distance the most wtf moment of this save:

Toggle Spoiler

regardless of his physicals, he is gonna take the fucking piss out of the scottish 2nd tier

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is some coup!
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's something that the Scots want you to know...

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our Bobby

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He'll be buried with those white teeth.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After walking the league 7 years in a row, I finally made it past the CL group-stage (finished 3rd twice):

It was down to us or Feyenoord ahead of the last game, and we faced them at home. How did it play out?

Who is this J. Pavlik then?

The lad scored a hat-trick in the deciding game with the game winner in stoppage time, on his 20th birthday. Madness.
    Last edited by Bernanke; 12-04-2021 at 06:59 PM.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FC Ulaanbaatar

Finished my first season at FC Ulaanbaatar, and somehow managed to win the league and qualify for the 2021 AFC Cup, a season earlier than I had expected.

Unfortunately, the finances are not looking good, and there is basically no budget for next season.

Toggle Spoiler

At the end of the season, half my squad were out of contract - I managed to renew 4 or 5, whilst 4 left; however, I dipped into the freebies and actually managed to overall upgrade the team.
    Buuuuuut, I didn't realise that the AFC Cup (and registration) was on 2nd Feb, whereas, my new signing weren't joining until April. Ooops. I was heading into the 2021 AFC Cup with basically 7 senior players and a load of kids.

First prelim round, we managed to see of Taiwan Steel 5-4 on aggregate, and then had the mighty Benfica (Macau) in the final round of qualifiers...

Toggle Spoiler

No idea where that performance come from. Second leg drew 2-2, sneaking through on aggregate.

We were handed a tough group, with 2 DPRK teams in Kigwancha and Pyongyang City and Eastern AA from HK. 2 opening defeats, but we managed to beat Eastern 3-2 at home before going on the finish 3rd in the group with just 4pts.

In the league, when the new players finally did arrive, we managed to improve on last season, and lost only 1 game. I think I struck it lucky in that the foreigners in the squad are probably some of the best players in the league. Despite no money, the board finally agreed to a coaching course, so I now have a National C License.

I wanted one more go at the AFC Cup, so I decided to stick around for another season. I learnt from last season and ensured all my best players remained and were registered in time.

I was feeling confident. Opening preliminary draw gave us another trip to Taiwan, this time to take on the mighty Taichung Futuro.

Toggle Spoiler

I couldn't face another season in the Mongolian Khurkhree Lig after that, so I resigned after being knocked out of the AFC Cup, and before a ball had been kicked in the league. I left with a C License, and about 3/4 of 1 star reputation.

The job search starts again.

I've applied for a few jobs in the Egyptian 2nd Division, a couple in Myanmar and 1 in Vietnam. I think I'd prefer to stay in East Asia for now, ideally in Myanmar or Hong Kong.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    firmino is shit

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This kid....

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [Rocky]"This kid's gonna be somebody better than anybody I ever knew."[/Rocky]

Toggle Spoiler

Successive league titles from Conference to Premier League, a debut season in which a 5th place finish was secured and then a golden generation sneaking its way through for the second season.

Yes mate!

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not at that weight.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nearing 500 games with petershill

probably a couple of seasons away from spl

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is bernanke and smiffys player related?

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure how I've managed to bash through this save so quickly. A small database on a fairly powerful desktop probably makes a big difference, and I spose having less players to scout/afford saves time trawling through player searches.

Started the save in March, and I'm in my 12th fucking season. Scouts recommended a Turkish 18 year old who'd been released by Galatasary this summer, and had the likes of Inter and Real interested, and managed to quickly throw a big contract at him before one of them came calling. Two months later he's gone fucking mental cus i failed to fulfil the promise of "improving the strikers" - I thought the lad I got on a free who played for Raith in league one last season was pretty good, but whatever. He insisted on being transfer listed, and I've managed to sell him to rangers for £200k (genuinely a very decent amount for us), and a 50% sell on. Our training is so shit it will probably benefit us long term as long as Rangers play him and don't let him leave on a free.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been a while, but we got to the end of the season and things went well!

Last edited by Mike; 18-07-2021 at 08:12 AM.

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long is it taking you to get through a season? Are you playing it as much as you used to?

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not playing anywhere near as much as I used to. The care free single life days of playing it all the time are gone. Just got a new powerful laptop, so hopefully can play it a little more.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know his mum do you?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't tried FM on this PC. Not that loading's the thing that stops me playing.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is simultaneously the best and worst version. The ME is utter shit, I can use the same tactic at all levels and it looks exactly the same regardless of player ability.

One dude did a video where he set elite players finishing to like 4, and they still scored 40+ a season. The transfer, regen, training and scouting is the best its been. Press conferences can get in the bin, as can the whole.morale aspect.

I think I'm finally done with it as a series until it gets a full overhaul. Four.months without playing it and no desire to start a save, longest I've ever gone.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m on about 4 years now. It’s a shame.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It must be at least a decade since I properly played the PC version but I'm still loving the mobile version.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been playing a lot of FM Touch recently, it's the first time I've properly got into a save in years....

Started with no reputation and looking to work my way up from the bottom in England. Started life at Spennymore Town in the Vanarama North and had a great campaign thanks largely to their striker, Frank Mulhern, scoring almost 50 goals. We finished in the Play Off places and managed to beat arch rivals Darlington at their own ground in the final 4-2 to seal promotion.

The good times kind of stopped there though. Mulhern moved to Ireland after refusing any contract talks and his replacement finished as the top scorer in the National but wasn't quite as good. We had a safe mid-table finish but nothing spectacular. The following season all the players who had been good the year before turned to complete shit and we were relegated and I was sacked for it.

I spent the summer turning down jobs in the Vanarama North/South. I had previously been offered the Plymouth (League 2) job and turned it down to stay loyal to Spenny so I wasn't willing to go any lower than the National for a new club. Eventually I had 2 offers on the table from Vanarama National sides.... Southend who were the bookies favourites for the title but had started like shit and were down in 12th, or Fylde who were in a relegation scrap but had a lot more funding. The challenge of Southend was more appealing and I immediately turned them around, finishing 3rd in that first campaign but losing the Play Off Final on penalties.

The next season we continued our momentum and absolutely pissed the title, giving me my first proper silverware and my first stint in the Football League, some 3 years after turning down the chance to reach it with Plymouth. Our League 2 campaign started really brightly and we were in the Play Off places when Peterborough came calling for me and I had to go and step up to League 1. Southend, with the squad I built, would go on to secure back to back promotions.

Posh were languishing in 17th but wanted me to make the Play Offs... this wouldn't be easy but I had to try it. We made a flying start and I reached the dizzying heights of 3rd (we were never ever going to catch Wednesday or Preston who were both about 10 points above me even at that point) but towards the end of the year, form died on it's arse, we couldn't buy a win, and in the end I missed the Play Offs on Goal Difference. I did however win the Papa John's Trophy, which is the real prize everyone wants. I expected to be sacked, but a board take over happened, and the new chairman reduced my target to mid-table... so I clung to the job by the skin of my teeth. The next year we set a new League 1 points record and absolutely romped to the title, never even looking threatened by any of the opposition. This was mainly due to raiding Swindon for Nya Kirby for a pathetic 500k who turned out to easily be the best player in the division.

And that brings me to my current season in the Championship... where once again we started out great. After a decent amount of games played (20 or so) we were up to 2nd place... but a run of 8 games without a win has seen us fall to 3 points outside the Play Offs. Not bad for a team who is aiming to battle bravely against the drop. Last night I was preparing for a crunch game against Blackburn who are a point behind us when Blackburn decided to offer me their manager job. Normally I wouldn't move to a team below us in the table with much higher expectations (Play Offs) but.... they have a transfer budget of £95m (compared to our £8m of which I think I have £3m left) and a wage budget of 1.4m per week (compared to our 240k).... we are half way through January so I'm going to have to move fast if I want to use those budgets but..... the temptation to move is extremely high. I've not actually decided yet but.... it looks like another new job is calling.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bring the Premier League back to Blackburn.

Shame Shearer’s not on it as a coach or something.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    £95m? Venky's in.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With no proper strikers available I threw Justin Kluivert up top and hoped the old man's influence would kick in, going quite well

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wullie View Post
    With no proper strikers available I threw Justin Kluivert up top and hoped the old man's influence would kick in, going quite well

He was brilliant for me on FM19. Winger-Attack on the left.

I’ve noticed you playing with Roma a few times, Wullie, how’d the affiliation come about?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They'd be my Italian team if I had to pick one, I think. I follow a very varied routine with each FM game, big game as Cov, big game as Roma, new one comes out, rinse and repeat

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool. Yeah, I’ve always liked Roma ever since CM01/02 (what a squad that was). Their colours and kit, Totti, the city. Shame about some of the absolutely horrible fans, but the rest is top drawer.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doris football to be added to FM22. I hope you can turn that off, I don't want it slowing the game down.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't believe I had to google that. I wouldn't worry about resources. They've not got that many players.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Miles said it wont be this year. Though he'll likely make it like when Brexit was put in and not give you the choice.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does open up some fun challenge runs.

"Just how would Steph Houghton get on at Vauxhall Motors?"

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’ll just be in as additional leagues, like I don’t run the Welsh leagues, you won’t have to run women’s leagues.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good. But that still means some tart can become the manager of Man United or something.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They can in real life.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really going to happen is it.

But if they give that Chelsea women's manager a ridiculous current ability when she just talks nonsense then...

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Such a gammon.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Nah, mate. I'm not having that in my super serious football game." <scratches his head when Adam Campbell's career doesn't pan out>

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bam still refuses to play Tomb Raider until this day.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He played the first iirc. His mam came up the stairs and heard him mumbling 'I'm a scaffolder love, let me erect something for ya', stumbling into a scene that involved the controller and imminent counselling.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That season with Blackburn was some ride.

Taking over with a game against my old club away from home was some start in itself. When we won that game 3-2 with a last minute goal it was clear this was going to be a fun time. Our form was decent but not spectacular after that as we Won 3, drew 1 and lost 2 of the next batch of games. Then we went to Birmingham and were 2-0 down at half time and playing like shit and falling away from the play offs. I made wholesale changes at HT and battled back to earn a 2-2 draw and something clicked that day. We then went on a run of 7 wins in a row including dismantling 2nd place Swansea 5-1 to move up to 2nd in the table with just 4 matches to go. Of course that run ended with a 0-0 draw against relegation threatened Pompey where we had about 12 shots on target and their keeper saved everything. Swansea edged back ahead of us, and despite us recovering with a 4-0 win against Rotherham, our automatic promotion hopes died when we somehow let slip a 3-1 HT lead against runaway league leaders Burnley (who won the title by 19 points with 103) and lost..... 6-3. We then got beat by midtable Sheffield Wednesday to fall as low as 4th in the final standings.

But we dusted ourselves off, went to Reading and smashed them 4-2 to have one hand on a place in the Final. The home leg was a formality as we left it late to seal a 2-0 win on the night. Off to Wembley to face Derby where USA International Alex Mighten gave us an early lead only for Derby to level it after 18 minutes. Not much happened for the rest of the game until the 92nd minute when we got a highlight that was literally just my regen striker, Peter Andrews, on loan from Liverpool, curling home a free kick to send us up.

I didn't think it was going to happen this year, but fucking hell did that feel good when that hit the net.

Shame the budget next year is only £45m... I was hoping for another silly one, but I guess they can't keep up the ridiculous spending forever.

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)