User Tag List

Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Football Manager 2021

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a youth at Man City who I spotted shortly after he was produced at the age of 15 and he's been on my shortlist ever since.

I wanted to buy him at Hertha (I could have had him for £70m-£120m over the years) but I decided to hold off as he still wouldn't have made it to Germany yet as he's still 17. He's not interested in my United side but I thought if I made a bid I might be able to throw some cash at him to persuade him to join.

Man City are REFUSING to sell to me though, the only offer I can make that they will accept is £300m (I even tried £299m and they rejected) which is a shame as I think he could be fucking incredible.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the League 2 Playoff Final beckoned, and I got the news article saying that two of my first-teamers were being called up for a Youth Invitational 4 days before the final itself. I checked the dates and the first game of the Invitational itself was not until 9 days after the final, so it was just a severe case of the game fucking me over. Thankfully, I was able to remove them from the squad just in time, and they both started.

I also went for comprehensive highlights for the game, just to fully ramp up the tension. And just for the hell of it, here's a live-text style report of the game. (Yes, I have too much time on my hands)

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cracking read thommo!

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know what sort of fucked up shit this is, but people local to Oxford now have an hour and a half round trip to get to home games and it's costing the club £7k per annum.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oxford City 2020/21 End of Season Update

A successful season as unlike many cowboys operating at this level, we managed to turn a profit:

A couple of things jump out there. Firstly I've no idea how our Staff Wages are so high, given we don't really have any and without the grants we'd have posted a whopping £80k loss, which just won't do. However, thanks to them and a modicum of financial responsibility the board have increased the wage budget by 17.5% to £4,700, which is probably necessary as we've had a fair few departures.

On the less important football side of things we finished a solid 12th in the league, hanging off the top half's coat tails.

The cups saw us go straight out of the FA Trophy, but we did make the first round proper of the FA Cup.

My players can't handle the truth, so I had to lie to them, but I'm hoping for a playoff spot for season 2.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pre-season has gone swimmingly. Along with utterly abusing the loan system, we've signed a few players, two of which are properly exciting:

A former Arsenal man no less.

And this chap from Wolves' reject pile who already looks excellent.

On the finances, we have thirty-grand in the bank now too.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bugarin!!!!!!!!!!

Scored in the 94th minute too.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just sealed the signing of this 16 year old geezer. A snip at $41m

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eliot Richards, striker from Merthyr? He always seems to do well in tier 6. Joseph Hungbo is one that I've seen a lot, think he was with Billericay and Bristol Rovers on my save.

How much is your contract? I think that comes out of the staff wages. Good to see Slough sneaking into the playoffs too, I presume they were immediately dumped out but it's nice to see.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got Richards at CAM, but he's definitely played for Merthyr.

It is my contract, I started with no badges or experience yet somehow I'm on £850 a week. Nuts.

Slough went straight out sadly, but it was to eventual playoff champions Dartford.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10 games in and we're unbeaten and doing very well, but of course this would be the year where a CPU team decides to make a charge for 100+ points. Havant's only loss is to us so far.

Ashford away in the FA cup 2nd qualifying round and £27k in the bank still, so definitely progress.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WC runners up Albania. Happened without any real regen starpower as well.

Boadu has bossed it for NL twice in a row.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    End of Season 2021/22 Update - Oxford City

Footballing achievements have surpassed the finances this season, so we start with those.

Honestly, more satisfying than anything in the journeyman game. We led the league for most of the season but surrendered top spot with about 8 games to go after a horrible run of form, only to get it back and secure promotion with one game left. 46 game seasons are absolutely brutal and had we shat the bed I'd have genuinely cried.

And here are the heroes that did it:

I'd question how ready any of them are for the conference, well bar Bugarin, who was absolutely the difference in getting us there. So pleased he's tied with us until 2024. I guess for the rest I'll treat them as reserves and set about building a new first team in the off-season, introducing them piecemeal when we get to the games.

Our chairman has also realised it's lunacy playing in Maidenhead.

On the finances front, we turned a profit again.

Not much movement from last year, although it oddly does seem cheaper to rent a stadium than own one. SI really should introduce depreciation and a balance sheet into things.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huge transfer BREAKING news:

Difficult decision to sell, but he wasn't at this stage better than Owusu or Roberts so I pushed the button. Gives us our first transfer budget (of £36k) to go with our wage budget of £7,400.

We also now have £132k in the bank.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @thommo, did you notice anything weird with promotion wage increase clauses? I've got loads in my squad and not a single one seems to have kicked in since reaching the Vanarama conference and I'm now mid-July.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Annoying pre-season so far really. Being promoted doesn't seem to have done much for my pulling power and I even lost out on signing some of the players I had on loan last season. As an example, this is the best CAM I could find and he cost me £6k.

First actual cash money signing mind.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It all seemed to work fine for me with the wages. I normally get the news article in the inbox on the 1st July detailing who got the wage rises. Did you resign contracts after your promotion was confirmed? That would cancel out any promotion increase clause.

Great promotion, that was a real battle with 3 clubs on 94+ points. Promotion from the two non-league divisions is so tough with only the one automatic spot. It is a real drag to go fail in the playoffs and have to do it all again! Owen-Evans doesn't look awful for the level, quite well-rounded so he will do a job, especially if you have a decent tactic.

Also, the big money sale is really good. Just helps with running the club and allows you to maybe push towards facility upgrades earlier (although it depends how they're funding this new stadium of yours!).

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nailed it again thommo, it'll be because I renewed most of the contracts.

And agreed, it's absolute brutal. 46 games is a proper marathon anyway, so to get that close and miss out would have hurt. A lot.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cracking start to the season, driven by Bugarin who has 9 in the 10 games.

l

Doesn't seem a huge step up from tier 6, well apart from against the pro clubs in the division, so if we can keep players fit I'm now hoping for a playoff spot.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I decided to stay at Aberdeen, but also take the reigns at Scotland. Somehow, managed to reach the final of Euro 2032 against Italy.

3-0 up after 35 minutes, Italy were all of the place, with 33yr old Donnarumma having a nightmare in his 167th appereance for the Azzurri.

Italy then proceed to score in the 59th, 82nd and 86th minute to take it to extra-time. 2 goals in extra-time give them a 5-3 win :/

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We then lost the next two games 3-0 and 5-1.

So I ventured into the market and picked up one of your lads thommo.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inspired by my trip to Belfast and the football game we spoke about but didn't actually go to yesterday, I think I'm gonna start a Norn Iron league game this week. Either a second tier team, or Dungannon Swifts in honour of the drunk bloke in Laverys who told us he watched Cov City win the FA cup at their club bar. Decisions.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As in, he watched it on the telly in their bar, he wasn't so drunk that he thought the 1987 fa cup final was held in Stangmore Park, Tyrone.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Used to go to a few of their games years ago.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just spotted this beast after my youth candidates (all shit) came in.

Not buying him for United as I wont be here when he's 18.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get his passport checked.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Used to go to a few of their games years ago.
    Shite?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So after a decent start to the season in tier 5 in Oxford, we're in absolute freefall and there's seemingly nothing I can do to stop it - we're going to get relegated. Gutting and I really can't be arsed to try and get back up again.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by igor_balis View Post
    Shite?
    Extremely.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    So after a decent start to the season in tier 5 in Oxford, we're in absolute freefall and there's seemingly nothing I can do to stop it - we're going to get relegated. Gutting and I really can't be arsed to try and get back up again.
    What's the current situation? Can you just park the bus for draws until the end?

Jayden Harris is funnily enough someone I looked to buy when I got promoted to League 2, but he of course turned me down as he wanted wages that we couldn't even offer.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just coming up to Christmas time and we're fourth from bottom, but on a horrible run and the morale is all shot to shit. I've parked it for now.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same thing happened to me in my most recent save that I was posting about, albeit in my second season in the National after the first one was safe mid-table. Nothing I changed or did seemed to make the blindest bit of difference.

I reckon with the promotion on your CV you'll probably be able to get another National League job even if you do go down though.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm persevering and we're just above the drop zone having at least temporarily stopped the rot. Things I've learnt:

Parking the bus definitely helps when you're getting roundly humped (thanks Thommo!)
    Morale is so key - get everyone out of the team with poor morale or you'll seemingly continue to spiral
    Going hard on team talks when you're expected to bravely fight relegation is a bad idea, it only compounds the above.

I don't know if we'll stay up (I've no interest in the save if we don't), but things are looking slightly better than they were a month ago.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Three huge games against King's Lynn, Woking and Guiseley saw us secure a massive 7 points and move well clear of relegation:

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And 1 point from 5 games puts us back in the shit again.

We play Darlington at home in the penultimate game.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I presume he's replacing that awful "this was the best AMC I could find" player with immediate effect?
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the bench for the next game.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Annoyingly he looks better than any youth player I've had through so far at Slough! Those mentals are brilliant for this level too. You need to go pro as soon as possible now to get youth like him into full-time training, otherwise he might stagnate.

Looks like it's going down to the wire, that Darlington game will be massive.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there anyway I can force going pro or is it simply a case of getting promoted to League 2?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Barnet (A)
    Darlington (H)
    Eastleigh (H)

I reckon we need two wins.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Is there anyway I can force going pro or is it simply a case of getting promoted to League 2?
    You can ask (I did every 6 weeks for a couple of seasons to which the board just flat out refused), but promotion to League 2 enforces the change. You need a lot of money in the bank to go pro as my board were still rejecting me when we had approximately half a million in finances.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Instant hero!

I've not smiled as much for two years as I did when Dunne got sent off.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thommo View Post
    You can ask (I did every 6 weeks for a couple of seasons to which the board just flat out refused), but promotion to League 2 enforces the change. You need a lot of money in the bank to go pro as my board were still rejecting me when we had approximately half a million in finances.
    Might as well give it a shot.

Oh, hello.

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bugarin!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    89th minute.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nearly knocked the laptop off the table.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Banger of a result. That youngster looks mega or that level too

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You better not bin off Bugarin when you get in the big leagues.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oxford City 2022/23 - Season Review

A tough one this, that nearly had me binning it, but glad I persevered.

A quick look at the professional status of those clubs shows that the top 9 are all operating full time, with Havant the highest placing semi-pro club.

Bugarin is good enough for this level, but unconvinced by the rest. I have too many 2.5/3 star players who're in the first team and I must improve that over the window.

Thankfully the board have recognised more excellent financial stewardship and increased the wage budget by £4k and given me a transfer WARCHEST of £33k.

They've also done this:

Back in Oxford and with a very doable 10 year loan at £16k to repay per month.

The financing of the stadium has messed the comparability of BAU up somewhat (and like fuck am I restating it), but suffice to say, we made an underlying profit again.