37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hold.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the first post of yours that I've understood in this thread.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's just turn this place into an investment forum with Mellin as King Admin. #PhonicsOut

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right back down again to 100. I've been watching keenly just to try and learn something, but I have no idea what's going on.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all vaccine isn't it?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    That's the first post of yours that I've understood in this thread.
    Indeed.

I just don't get the lingo.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Their share price is up 47% today v 4.90% on the FTSE100 so likely as it gives a path to a return to aviation.

Other news: https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...lear-deal.html
    https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...lear-deal.html

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was going up from 69 whatever the weather, but the vaccine's probably pushed it a further 30/40 pips north.

Offy, it'll always pull back from 80% up no matter what. The trick is identifying if it's profit taking from the day's trading or a reversal and start of a new downtrend.
    Last edited by Mellberg; 09-11-2020 at 04:27 PM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work for a travel company and our stock has rocketed up today. Zoom's on the other hand, not so much (still up massively if you'd bought earlier).

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been reading and watching videos about the Stock Market this week and I've decided to give it a go with my savings.

I've gone for Pfizer, as they're currently dipping off the news of the other vaccine, but I reckon they'll bounce when the vaccine actually starts circulating.

I've also chucked a load at Dutch Shell B (Shell A has some Dutch tax charged on it that B doesn't apparently). Their stock is down about 50% at the moment but that will recover as we move into a post lockdown / Covid world too. Plus they pay ~6% Dividends.

Lastly I put £50 into Pyxis Tankers after their price dropped massively due to their chairman whinging about lockdowns under Biden. That one might recover, might not. But I reckon I pretty much own the company now either way.

Kind Regards,

Spikey Mellin.

Edit: does anyone have any decent sources on the tax implications of all this? I'm assuming it's all taxable upon selling your shares and there's some dickhead forms to fill out or something?
    Last edited by Spikey M; 17-11-2020 at 11:03 AM.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What platform are you using for it?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    212. It seems alright. There's probably better around but it's simple for a beginner. I only remembered Baz's referral link after registering, sadly.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    However, if any of you do want to get rich with Spikey, hit the link **BELOW**

Do you want to get a free stock share worth up to £100?

www.trading212.com/invite/Gvd9WLWi

Don't forget to smash the like button and subscribe.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You got £2k allowance on dividends before tax kicks in for that. And you'll need to start filing tax returns if you got income from sales of shares so that you can pay the correct CGT on it.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're allowed £12k of capital gains in one tax year before you're taxed, but I believe the government are looking at changing that.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers. I can't see me hitting those levels for a fair while so no bother for now.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When are you buying?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellberg View Post
    When are you buying?
    As in time of day? Just whenever I get a chance.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm out at the minute. I'll be home within an hour or so. Hold fire until I get back and I'll put a post together for you.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellberg View Post
    I'm out at the minute. I'll be home within an hour or so. Hold fire until I get back and I'll put a post together for you.
    Cheers.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.ig.com/uk/spread-betting...-share-dealing

That's a good link for information on spread betting and share dealing. You probably want the latter if you're investing and have enough capital.

As for specific trades you've listed, Shell B is the best one I've looked at technically and is about as strong a setup as you could hope for. What I mean is:

That's a monthly chart btw.

Black circle - Stochastic which was oversold (below the 20 line) and is now breaking back through.

Yellow circle - Moving average for MACD is starting to push back toward the higher line which signals a possible change in momentum.

Blue circle - Histogram, red bars returning back toward the 0 line and then may break through into positive territory

Red circle - Strong price movement upward this month and has just broken through the first moving average (7MA), which is the first line on the chart and can be seen inside the circle.

You want a technical set up just like that. It's a good time to buy and if you have positive news thrown in, such as no extension of a lockdown at the start of December, then that could really push back through toward the other moving averages further up (yellow, black and red lines...50, 100 and 200 MAs respectively) over the next 6 months to a year. Switch on stochastics and MACD with whichever dealer you choose to use and check Pfizer. You don't have that same technical support. I'm not saying it won't go, but there's less room for a breakout to the positive side.

Hope that helps and doesn't confuse the situation. Any questions then ask
    Last edited by Mellberg; 17-11-2020 at 03:55 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers, but further research clearly needed

I'll have another read through that tonight and look up some of the terms I'm not familiar with. Who knew becoming a multimillionaire was this complicated?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was reading about oil a month ago at work and wondering why people weren't piling into them at least as medium-term bets. What started it was Ambrose Evans-Pritchard declaring the majors dead. He is always wrong about energy/technology (thorium power any day now), and sure enough...

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers, but further research clearly needed

I'll have another read through that tonight and look up some of the terms I'm not familiar with. Who knew becoming a multimillionaire was this complicated?

Translation - buy Shell B. I might join you.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    I was reading about oil a month ago at work and wondering why people weren't piling into them at least as medium-term bets. What started it was Ambrose Evans-Pritchard declaring the majors dead. He is always wrong about energy/technology (thorium power any day now), and sure enough...
    Tesla's share price is interesting and you'd think strength in that sector would see diminishing returns in oil, but US Crude has its cock out big time, so not done yet.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Writing oil off always strikes me as a bit Western-centric. Even if we stopped burning it, there are still a million and one consumer uses for it and only ever more people moving into those markets. Besides, the companies are the obvious candidates for moving into hydrogen with all their existing infrastructure, so I don't know. Tesla is a definite Ponzi scheme though. I'm not hearing otherwise.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure if you were to short oil itself at these levels you'd get paid big at some stage in the not too distant future. The businesses themselves will probably just restructure as you say. I don't know the details, but I'm sure they have transitional plans in place. That's all too far in the future to have any bearing on Shell at this stage though.

Anyone buying Tesla at that price is mad, but there are plenty at it. Suspect it's mostly short term trades thriving off the volatility.
    Last edited by Mellberg; 17-11-2020 at 07:15 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They’ll follow the first mover in some way, shape or form.

Oil will be run by private equity funds in the North Sea over the next decade or so as the big operators switch targets for PR and longevity and let other people with lower overheads turn a profit and take the risk of late field life.

Chevron jumped ship and ConocoPhillips tried to do the same.

Unless someone is willing to foot the bill to build the infrastructure to support and utilise all these mooted renewables projects the plan will stall.

There was already a surplus of oil pre Covid, I dread to think what the status is now after 6 months of barely anything moving and, for the most part, the barrels still pumping.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having had a look through that link, I'm definitely taking the share dealing approach. My finances would probably suit spread betting better, but I'm not a fan of the level of risk. That said, with Shell I'm definitely not planning to sit on it. As soon as they recover to around their pre-Covid value I cut, run and stick the money somewhere more stable.

I'm not expecting to make life changing amounts, just tired of my money sitting in a sub 1% savings account doing nothing.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are these 'just copy someone's trading portfolio' companies a scam/not very effective then?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foe View Post
    They’ll follow the first mover in some way, shape or form.

Oil will be run by private equity funds in the North Sea over the next decade or so as the big operators switch targets for PR and longevity and let other people with lower overheads turn a profit and take the risk of late field life.

Chevron jumped ship and ConocoPhillips tried to do the same.

Unless someone is willing to foot the bill to build the infrastructure to support and utilise all these mooted renewables projects the plan will stall.

There was already a surplus of oil pre Covid, I dread to think what the status is now after 6 months of barely anything moving and, for the most part, the barrels still pumping.
    Cheers

Spikey, FWIW with leverage you can't go negative (as long as it's not a professional account), so would never end up in debt. Only problem is your margin for error is reduced. Probably best to play safe with share dealing.

Wait for a pull back before you buy btw. Just had two weeks of US election/vaccine buying. Daily's overbought. You should be able to get it between 1000 and 1100. 1060 looks more likely than not (daily 100MA).

Unless it just explodes north. If that happens, soz.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a Jeremy Kyle Christmas special ready to go for one when you blow the savings on the word of some internet ex-con Idiotmouse.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get on the train Lewis you soft shit.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If my son has to wear my daughters hand-me-down's, it's all on you mellers.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this your long-term job now? If so, are you going to keep doing it yourself, or will you try getting into a 'proper' position?

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much are you making from this, Mellin? And how much did you start off with?

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have we replaced Boydy with a reddit bot looking to harvest CVs and financial info?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Is this your long-term job now? If so, are you going to keep doing it yourself, or will you try getting into a 'proper' position?
    I'm trying to get to the point where it's my only source of income. Not there yet though.

Boydy, would you like my waist size and phone number with that info?

I'm sharing it on here because this is a forum full of intelligent people and if you're prepared to work at it and have discipline you can make a fortune. It would benefit me too, as we can all share ideas and opportunities. You could feasibly build from a grand, Boyd. Probably less, but you need to start well. If you stuck a grand on the FTSE @ 5500 at the start of the month, and the signs for reversal were all there in the indicators and fundamentals, and then sized up with your profit (put more on as it spiked up from your earnings) you'd be on about 5/6k within two weeks. Admittedly that's a big swing, and I'd only be that aggressive at the beginning, but those opportunities come along quite often and if you're prepared to mentally write the grand off and take the risk you can build a really nice account from there.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just curious, sorry.

I've been thinking about starting to throw some money into some tracker funds because I'm not sure I'd have the discipline or patience to invest in individual stocks.

I should probably just be putting everything spare towards a house deposit though.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apology accepted, just don't upset me again.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aww, how cute.

A better example is probably the one I put in this thread rather than after eventing. Buy RR @ 75 for 1k. Scale up with your profit every pip and get out at saaaaay 130. I'd need Ital to do the maths, but your original trade is 4k+ alone. I think with scaling on top that must be closing in on the 10k range. Around 7k perhaps. That's in a day. Don't be that aggressive forever, but to start up it's what you need.

Join me boys.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not expecting to make life changing amounts, just tired of my money sitting in a sub 1% savings account doing nothing.
    I'm in exactly the same boat and am sorely tempted. Unless you're investing in whatever the equivalent of Betamax is, surely it's quite hard to lose money over the medium term.

As for Shell's shares, they're worth almost half of what they were in January, so seems like an absolute no brainer.

Mellin - If you had ten grand to chuck into this to start with, how would you go about it?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best investment you could make for ten grand is a pilot for your sitcom.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might be right.

Used Spikey's link to sign up to 212 and I can't even find RDSb shares on there.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is gonna turn into the middle aged version of those gambling trains we all get on in the betting thread.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very probably, although I don't think I ever got on one of those.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Used Spikey's link to sign up to 212 and I can't even find RDSb shares on there.
    Fuck you all.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't worry Baz, there was no mention at all of any free moniez to play with.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    You might be right.

It should come up just from searching Shell. Have you had any joy?