User Tag List

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031
Results 1,501 to 1,543 of 1543

Thread: Stocks & Shares & that

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scottish laws for property ownership means it just isn’t worthwhile. Extra 5% tax or something on top of stamp duty, have to pay tax on the income and council tax recently just doubled for second properties I think.

Fees are bad but it’s still profitable enough to be worthwhile.

I won’t do this forever.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Oh and what's your total amount invested, if you don't mind me asking. Just trying to work out how much you need to have spread about to be cashing out some for £100 a day profit.
    PM me.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are we going to have to start a GoFundMe for a bankrupt Yev where everyone is obligated to donate 20% of the funds he invested in each of our 'Get Rich Quick' schemes?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No get rich quick schemes here. I just have a few quid which has been building over time, that for various reasons I've deliberately not done much with over the last 2/3 years, but now I think I'm finally in a position to I'd quite like a clear run to retire by 60. I'll probably end up with a financial advisor, but having a tentative look at options now.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should probably have been sensible and followed that same logic. But here we are, hoping for an uptick in fortune for snowflakes so I can close out my position.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way I look at is thusly: My house is worth about £450k, albeit the bank own most of it. My private pensions add up to a paltry £100k or so, but if I chuck the max in every year for the next 17 years (£30k per annum I think), I'll have circa £600k without a pandemic coming at the wrong time and that doesn't include inevitable returns on the investment (sans pandemic). It'd be nice to get that pension figure to £800k or so, so I can withdraw £200k tax free at retirement and then I'll have £600k left to draw down against as an income, but that doesn't include selling the house, which will be mortgage free by that time.

This is all predicated on me at least maintaining my current earnings, but should I do so and achieve the above I think I'd be able to retire somewhere in the sunshine, living in a decent villa with a pool and having £400k (£200k tax free pension drawdown + £450k from house sale - £250k on villa) or so to churn through before I even need to touch the remaining £600k.

The monies I'm now sat on don't need to be/aren't factored into the above, so anything I could turn them into would be a nice bonus or a way to retire earlier than 60.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think max pension is £60k/year now, if you want to go down the path of salary sacrifice.

My current thinking, which could be completely wrong, is that I’m better shoving money into pension and/or the stock market than holding it in a bank or paying down a mortgage.

When I get a house rather than paying as much of it off as I can afford, I think I’ll try and keep a 150-200k mortgage to just hold capital that can be used to generate income to pay down the mortgage.

But let me tell you, losses do not pay down a mortgage so I need to get better at picking companies.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the shoving it into a pension route was the best option, but having a read of this it seems far more complicated than it needs to be.

https://www.moneyhelper.org.uk/en/pe...on-tax-relief-

I've never paid enough in each month to notice or care, but my understanding was that if I earnt £50k a year and chose to pay £10k per annum of that into a pension I'd only be taxed on the £40k. That link however suggests it's more complicated than that and involves fucking about with your tax return, particularly if you're going balls deep and then the tapering of the personal allowance comes into play, which is bane of everything at good income levels.

I need a financial advisor. How the hell does one find one of those that they can trust?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There also seems to be some qualifying earnings bullshit based on this calculator, which caps the salary the employer pays a % on at £44k.

https://www.moneyhelper.org.uk/en/pe...ion-calculator

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need a referral really for a financial advisor. I'm just in the process of getting one via the people who do our taxes.

Surely there's someone at work you can ask who'll have A Guy?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need a financial advisor. How the hell does one find one of those that they can trust?
    Hi.

In all seriousness just ask around. Someone local not charging more than about 2% initial advice fee and 0.75% as an ongoing advice fee isn't taking the piss. The biggest mistake I see people making is just doing nothing with their pension pots at around our age. Either not putting enough in or not being adventurous in the earlier years just makes it a hell of a lot harder in the long-term. It shouldn't be too hard for someone to get a return of 6/7% a year after fees if you are willing to take a bit of risk and get you diversified enough either.

What would madness is someone like you who obviously isn't an investor looking a single shares or not getting advice as that's the easiest way to piss it all away.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My FA is suggesting investing here https://www.ipglobal-ltd.com/ as isas are no longer tax efficient in Germany. Free money.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the shoving it into a pension route was the best option, but having a read of this it seems far more complicated than it needs to be.

https://www.moneyhelper.org.uk/en/pe...on-tax-relief-

I've never paid enough in each month to notice or care, but my understanding was that if I earnt £50k a year and chose to pay £10k per annum of that into a pension I'd only be taxed on the £40k. That link however suggests it's more complicated than that and involves fucking about with your tax return, particularly if you're going balls deep and then the tapering of the personal allowance comes into play, which is bane of everything at good income levels.

Attack on multiple fronts is always the best option.

I have:

-Maxed out work pension contribution.
    -Life Time ISA (can only access after 60, but the government give me 25% on top of whatever I put in)
    -Normal Stocks and Shares ISA for stonks.
    -Cash ISA for emergencies.

Oh, and a little bit of Crypto on Revolut as they're nowhere near as much of a pain in the arse about the new Crypto buying rules as Coinbase are.
    Last edited by Spikey M; 12-04-2024 at 12:03 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the Cash ISA rates? I've got a 5.2% savings account instead because it's got less than £10k in it so I'm not going to hit the tax threshold, but might swap it over if there's better rates to be had.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    What's the Cash ISA rates? I've got a 5.2% savings account instead because it's got less than £10k in it so I'm not going to hit the tax threshold, but might swap it over if there's better rates to be had.
    Will be around the same. But, I'd get it into an ISA for the future. It's just a lot more flexible and better to have it in an ISA than any other type of account. Then in the future if you want to use it for S&S etcetera you can just switch it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    About 3% I think. But I can access it immediately and it's only got 2 months wages in it so I'm not massively arsed about it making money.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Emia View Post
    Will be around the same. But, I'd get it into an ISA for the future. It's just a lot more flexible and better to have it in an ISA than any other type of account. Then in the future if you want to use it for S&S etcetera you can just switch it.
    At the moment it's my mortgage overpayment money in the savings account. Higher rate than my mortgage at the moment so I'm getting all I can out of that before overpaying.

I'll probably put new savings in a Cash ISA then.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post

Thanks for the info on the approach, very useful. On the specific bit above, what does that mean specifically?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm guessing it means put in the highest percentage possible that your employer will match.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, that. I pay 8%, my employer matches.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotcha. Cheers.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if they don’t match you may be able to put in additional amounts. If it’s a workplace pension you may have beneficial terms. If it’s a nest or peoples pension type though I wouldn’t bother.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ignoring the 50 posts since, Intel are fucked right now as they can't match the cost/performance usage of AMD. Intel is better for your workhorses for your hipster gimps blazing graphic design but only marginally at 4x the power drain.

All them cunts go Apple anyway. The current top gaming CPU is far and away AMD's 7800x3D, for 350-450 quid compared to Intels latest power hog piece of shit incremental tiny upgrade 14900k at 600 for again 4x the power draw and worse gaming performance. AMD are far ahead right now and their own workhorse based CPUs are getting rapidly better.

7800x3D offers 25% more performance at 1080p and 1440p and 15% at 4k compared to Intel's top chip. With the GPU market being stupid overpriced, AMD now rule the roost due to cost/performance ratio.

Intel shat it going for more cores/threads while AMD revolutionised Cache tech which is what gives more performance these days due to CPUs basically being at their modern feasible limit.

They need a revolution in that department, really. Chucking cash into it is either burning it or pissing about with a meme stock these days.
    Last edited by Dark Soldier; 12-04-2024 at 02:32 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Emia View Post
    Even if they don’t match you may be able to put in additional amounts. If it’s a workplace pension you may have beneficial terms. If it’s a nest or peoples pension type though I wouldn’t bother.
    Just the tax break, I think. But then I get 25% from the government in my LISA which I prefer.

Not to mention, Sir Philip of Green is currently sailing the Med with my BHS pension*, so I'm hesitant to trust anyone too much.

*I probably lost about £300.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    God I wish I understood this stuff more. I do a lot of salary sacrifice, but it’s only a recent realisation that my “pension isn’t important” approach for first 4-5 years has probably fucked me.

About £90 today I think, didn’t get significant enough bounces to sell some of the stuff I bought in dips yesterday. The bigger winner was my gaff soaring again so unloaded another bunch of them. Another 2-3% and I’m pulling out four figures, maybe five.

That intel post from ds, and china telling them to fuck off has not helped my feeling of doom on them.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just the tax break, I think. But then I get 25% from the government in my LISA which I prefer.

Not to mention, Sir Philip of Green is currently sailing the Med with my BHS pension*, so I'm hesitant to trust anyone too much.

*I probably lost about £300.
    Yeah if you are under 40 and can have a LISA with guaranteed return of 25% it’s all good especially if you then make it a stocks and shares. But, don’t forget you’ve already been taxed on that money when you’ve received it which you aren’t on the pension so it all works out in the wash.

I mean on your workplace pension if you have a good one in the private sector your annual charges could be around 0.2/0.3% which is cheaper than an individual will get on the open market.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Attack on multiple fronts is always the best option.

I have:

-Life Time ISA (can only access after 60, but the government give me 25% on top of whatever I put in)
    -Cash ISA for emergencies.
    This is my approach as well. No stock and shares ISA for me (yet) but I usually have some in fixed-rate ISAs/Bonds. I don't tend to overthink this stuff, to be honest. As long as I'm squirrelling money away, it'll (probably) work out.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    This is my approach as well. No stock and shares ISA for me (yet) but I usually have some in fixed-rate ISAs/Bonds. I don't tend to overthink this stuff, to be honest. As long as I'm squirrelling money away, it'll (probably) work out.
    With the bonds, do you / can you compound the interest within the bond? How do you go about buying them?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure on the interest. I've always assumed interest compounded given that the ones I've went for accrue interest annually. Could be wrong but I've never looked that far into it.

As for buying them, it's just like applying for any other account. Just look for fixed rate savings accounts and see what takes your fancy. It was a good way to guarantee decent (for the time) interest rates back when those were in the toilet and it was money I didn't mind having locked away for years at a time.

EDIT: Looks like shorter ones are offering better interest rates at the minute. 3-12 month ones are breaking 5% whereas the longer ones are hovering around 4.5%. How odd.
    Last edited by Shindig; 12-04-2024 at 07:51 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Base interest rate is expected to come down a bit by the end of the year.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before September would be lovely.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are home builder stocks a clear winner in Q3 or am I missing something?

I’ve been operating on the “they’ll pop when the inflation rate is low enough the reduce interest rates” philosophy. My only concern being they go bust before that happens, but I can’t see that happening in the current housing doom.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soldier View Post
    Ignoring the 50 posts since, Intel are fucked right now as they can't match the cost/performance usage of AMD. Intel is better for your workhorses for your hipster gimps blazing graphic design but only marginally at 4x the power drain.

All them cunts go Apple anyway. The current top gaming CPU is far and away AMD's 7800x3D, for 350-450 quid compared to Intels latest power hog piece of shit incremental tiny upgrade 14900k at 600 for again 4x the power draw and worse gaming performance. AMD are far ahead right now and their own workhorse based CPUs are getting rapidly better.

7800x3D offers 25% more performance at 1080p and 1440p and 15% at 4k compared to Intel's top chip. With the GPU market being stupid overpriced, AMD now rule the roost due to cost/performance ratio.

Intel shat it going for more cores/threads while AMD revolutionised Cache tech which is what gives more performance these days due to CPUs basically being at their modern feasible limit.

They need a revolution in that department, really. Chucking cash into it is either burning it or pissing about with a meme stock these days.
    Is the above taking into account their recent release and hype around Gaudi 3 or is it more of an outlook based on personal computing?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Is the above taking into account their recent release and hype around Gaudi 3 or is it more of an outlook based on personal computing?
    Personal Computing. I can't see the Gaudi 3 making much of a difference but it's a positive that Nvidia has potential competition.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to see that it's only taken a couple of weeks for Donny T to start trying to manoeuvre his way around the 6 month lock on him ditching his shares in Trump Media.

Some buggers will have made a fortune shorting those if that's possible and I suppose, other than them likely being bastards, one shouldn't feel too bad about it.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brought to you by the filthy libtards at the Washington Post:

Toggle Spoiler

Some absolute gold in there.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best was when they all got scammed into buying Iraqi currency.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-...aqi-dinar-scam

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You might want to get out of Nvidia if you're in it.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DJT up loads in the last few days so the leap is logical.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post

You might want to get out of Nvidia if you're in it.
    There's no new info here so someone's just applying months old info which was the case in point when it was riding high at almost 1000 to now look intelligent given it's tanked.

The drop seems to be linked to SMCI's shenanigans which is merely rumours until they publish their earnings report on 30 April and Nvidia's is due at end of May.

Nothing has changed though so selling now would be some chickenshit behaviour.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A near 2 Trillion Market Cap is a bubble. A giant, fuck off bubble.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bounce in the market has been extremely timely for me. Used it as an opportunity to start selling off some stuff I’ve decided isn’t aligned to my core investment strategy.

Operation barge of legal and general to follow.

Did very well out of JD sports little bounce though.

Waiting to see what meta and Ford results give at 10.

Think my core investments are going to be:
    Legal and general
    Anglo American/glencore/rio Tinto tbc
    Haleon or smith and nephew (these are very slow moving. Haleon in particular seems to just bounce between 3.15 and 3.35 almost like clockwork.
    Ford
    McDonald’s
    Aviva or admiral

And just buy and sell batches as the prices rise and fall. Hold as necessary. Most of those pay 4-5% dividend yields if it all goes south.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meta has not gone well.

Ford looks fine.