User Tag List

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Stocks & Shares & that

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, isn't jet engines their main business these days?

Ffs, Mellin, you amateur.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're separate companies. When it was nationalised in the seventies the government spun the cars off from Rolls-Royce Holdings as Rolls-Royce Motors, and BMW own it now via Vickers and a lol mix-up with Volkswagen buying the factory but not the branding, which was still owned by Rolls-Royce Holdings, who sold it to BWM, who then shook Volkswagen down for the rest of it (not unlike their dispute with W.O. Bentley in the thirties).

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Twas a joke and I know these tings. See page one.

Thanks for the further detail though

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just checked in to see what convergence my divergence was in.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RR broke out on lower side of pennant. New York schools closing has changed the game, in the short term, across the markets. After such a strong bull run based on vaccine hopes, that is the kind of news which will reintroduce fear and check progress. FTSE close to 6330 at the moment. Expect further downside there. Also the Vix is stirring for the first time in a while and challenging the 50 MA on the 4h chart for the first time since 4th Nov. Quiet before the storm today imo.

Vix - Volatility index. Measures volatility in the markets. If it spikes you see strong moves south and wild swings. Best time for taking profit (and making losses without managing risk).

50 MA - Moving average. An average of the share price based over a certain time period, which is reflected by the number (number of days). The lower the number, the more responsive it is to moves. So a 7MA will move up and down with price, whilst a 200MA is more stubborn and holds its line for longer. Helps to define direction and they act as support and resistance (levels price bounces off. Support stops it going down, resistance up).

4h - Four hour. I try to watch different time frames as they all tell a different story. If you're looking for short term moves, then the lower time frames are more suitable. Longer term, go higher.
    Last edited by Mellberg; 19-11-2020 at 10:52 AM.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still need to go over your explanation of price per pip butthe above post is clear. Presume you're still talking about FTSE with regards to the Vix/MA?

I've handed my CV into Lewis to see if he'll hire me forthe Research team but one suspects there is still some significant slumps to come as a result of economic impact of COVID.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    I just checked in to see what convergence my divergence was in.

When momentum is slowing, the lines converge. When it's accelerating, they diverge. The terminology is more complicated than it needs to be as with most things.

Should be called the Moving Average Iny Outy for simplicity.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I still need to go over your explanation of price per pip butthe above post is clear. Presume you're still talking about FTSE with regards to the Vix/MA?

I've handed my CV into Lewis to see if he'll hire me forthe Research team but one suspects there is still some significant slumps to come as a result of economic impact of COVID.
    There will be better explanations on price per pip out there than I can offer. Investopedia's good. I'd recommend following up anything I put in here with a read through on there.

The Vix is aligned to the US market, but we essentially salute and follow suit. There's an EU vix, but that basically follows the same path as the one across the pond. I use the yank version. And the 50MA I mention there is on the Vix itself. FTSE is challenging the 50MA on 4h, but south rather than north (which makes sense as strength in the Vix = weakness in the market), so if they both break (the 50MA) it's probably down toward the low 6000s. Possibly further, but that would take more bad news, such as an extended lockdown. Then we might see 5,800 absolute max (upper trend line of previous trend, which was broken over last couple of weeks). That feels too far away at this stage though.

All ifs and buts at the minute. I was short on the FTSE last night and am now out. If the Vix starts dancing and the FTSE breaks the 4h 50MA I'll consider another one.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May short if it pushes back to around 6345 also. Depends on price action at the time.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone had a go yet, even with a paper money account?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went in on Shell B for now. Up 4% yesterday. 0.10% today. School dodging yank cunts.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You impatient little slut. What price did you get it at?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spikey, are you spreadbetting or just buying outright and hoping to make a profit on selling in the short to medium term?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellberg View Post
    You impatient little slut. What price did you get it at?
    £11.73 (why do they do it in pennies? Load of bollocks)

Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Spikey, are you spreadbetting or just buying outright and hoping to make a profit on selling in the short to medium term?
    Spreadbetting but I've just done Shell at the moment (and a free Easyjet share). Once I know a bit more I'm going to back an S&F and generally buy across as many separate sectors as possible. I just don't want to chuck everything at it until I have the alot more of the theory down. It probably sounds stupid but I had no idea how complex this stuff was. Everytime I learn something I end up with 5 new things to learn about.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My index fund is up 20% since I got on it a few years ago and I don't need to talk like a wanker.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You definitely talk like a wanker, maneee.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's 20% extra sombrero. Well done.

How far will your margin take you, Spikey?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's 20% extra sombrero. Well done.

How far will your margin take you, Spikey?
    Going to show my confusion levels here... everything I've read about 'margin' says that it's when you partially buy shares and get the rest on tick. Which isn't what you're asking? So now I presume Margin has 2 meanings?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it's to do with leverage. Which broker are you using? If you have made a trade and maxed out your account, then your margin figure will be very close to your account figure. Depending on your broker it will close your trade partially once you dip below that immediately, or once you've pushed however far into it. Like I said I think Shell has further downside, as the daily is maxed out, before continuing upward based on the monthly. Just want to make sure you're not exposed to a margin call (enforced trade closure) by any pullback.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't be a concern with share dealing, but spread betting it's something you must be very wary of. Hence risk management and stop losses.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm Sharedealing. Own the shares outright. Sorry, slip of the 'tongue'.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah okay, sound. Panic over.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pfizer have asked for emergency permission to start rolling out their vaccine so I've gone in on them now. Should see a bounce if granted.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mate is pretty confident IAG will bounce back quite soon. He's stuck most of his savings in.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope you man got in on Shell B. The bounce is on.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, most things are away now. Vaccine news, no extended lockdown. All volatility gone from the market for the time being. Should go up gradually for a bit. Just keep an eye on ze Vix.

I'm in on Rolls Royce, IAG and Cineworld. Lots of value. Cineworld's price has been absolutely shagged and is testing the major moving averages. One to watch if people want a really cheap entry. A return to previous highs from £250 would amount to approximately 8k. As always, no guarantees. Might take a long time, might never happen, but may be the right time to be buying the worst affected covid businesses.

Share dealing btw boys if you don't like the risk. These are now penny stocks, which equals potential margin calls on spread betting (small swings lead to big moves up and down in account). Less profit though.
    Last edited by Mellberg; 24-11-2020 at 10:52 AM.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, most things are away now. Vaccine news, no extended lockdown. All volatility gone from the market for the time being. Should go up gradually for a bit. Just keep an eye on ze Vix.

I'm in on Rolls Royce, IAG and Cineworld. Lots of value. Cineworld's price has been absolutely shagged and is testing the major moving averages. One to watch if people want a really cheap entry. A return to previous highs from £250 would amount to approximately 8k. As always, no guarantees. Might take a long time, might never happen, but may be the right time to be buying the worst affected covid businesses.

Share dealing btw boys if you don't like the risk. These are now penny stocks, which equals potential margin calls on spread betting (small swings lead to big moves up and down in account). Less profit though.
    How does that work? Current price is about 60p, previous high was about 320.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Price per pip again, presumably. Someone link the investopedia article or something so we can resolve this.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    How does that work? Current price is about 60p, previous high was about 320.
    High is 742.1.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is Cineworld at serious risk of going under?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is Cineworld at serious risk of going under?
    https://www.theguardian.com/business...theatres-us-uk

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    High is 742.1.
    Where are you seeing that?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on those three, Mell. Penny stocks it is.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May 2017

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could potentially go under, but I think the price will go up due to opportunistic buyers regardless. If it makes it out the other side you're probably laughing.

That isn't a 10k investment though. I've stuck a grand in.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's never reached 400.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So tempting to whack a few grand into Cineworld.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what that waste of space is Boyd, but fuck it off and use trading platforms.

Yev, do that maths first.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What maths Mellin?

Any advice welcome.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Until it isn't.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only reservation is the price has moved massively in since the cash position announcement so will fall back down a bit before we move onto the trajectory of opening the clubs.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That article is of very little substance. You imagine cinemas will stick around so it's tempting but consumer spending is about to take a heavy hit so not sure we're going to see dickheads pay £15 to go watch Marvel shit with a £5 bottle of water as freely as before.

Also, what is this high of 742.10/May 2017 business? Clarify or credibility in this group will take a hit.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What maths Mellin?

Any advice welcome.
    When you go to place the trade you will be given your margin. Once you drop through that your trade will be partially closed. If you're talking big money, then don't whack it all on straight away. The smaller your percentage of stake against the size of your account, the further away your margin and the less risk. Bleed into the trade as the price goes up instead.

tl;dr:

Start small. If the trade starts to work for you add size.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what that waste of space is Boyd, but fuck it off and use trading platforms.

Yev, do that maths first.
    The graph? It's just from google. Yahoo finance was the same. I cannot find this high of 700+ you're on about.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only reservation is the price has moved massively in since the cash position announcement so will fall back down a bit before we move onto the trajectory of opening the clubs.
    You've got it. About to hit the daily 200MA. Think it was 62 when I checked. Should pull back from there.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    The graph? It's just from google. Yahoo finance was the same. I cannot find this high of 700+ you're on about.
    Spikey did. Has the date right too.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    62.52, Yev (Daily 200MA).

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you go to place the trade you will be given your margin. Once you drop through that your trade will be partially closed. If you're talking big money, then don't whack it all on straight away. The smaller your percentage of stake against the size of your account, the further away your margin and the less risk. Bleed into the trade as the price goes up instead.

tl;dr:

Start small. If the trade starts to work for you add size.
    I'm just thinking about whacking a few grand in (actually buying the shares) and sitting on them until the clubs are open.

Even going by their 5 year low pre-covid I'll more than treble my money on the existing price. I'm looking at the same graphs Boyd is by the way, which comes straight from Google. It's disconcerting if there are different ones.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spikey did. Has the date right too.
    https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-s...lc-ordinary-1p

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-s...p/share-charts

It's not there either.