User Tag List

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Stocks & Shares & that

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    I wouldn't worry Baz, there was no mention at all of any free moniez to play with.
    You get a free share each, worth upto £100.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean not to piss on chips but why not invest in an index or robo investor which means you're not stuck at .1% or whatever. I've got some longer term investments at the moment but wouldn't have the stones or initial bank to make it worthwhile (plus every trade request needs to be cleared first so I can't just buy/sell as easily).

My nutmeg account for example has made time weighted growth of 23%.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to consider myself a reasonably intelligent man, but reading Mellin's posts makes my brain try to leg it out of my ears. I got as far as 'Blue circle - histogram' before the full short-circuit cut in and I got a five minute screensaver of myself lying on a tropical beach while a mysterious man with a Brummie accent gave me a full-body massage.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in exactly the same boat and am sorely tempted. Unless you're investing in whatever the equivalent of Betamax is, surely it's quite hard to lose money over the medium term.

As for Shell's shares, they're worth almost half of what they were in January, so seems like an absolute no brainer.

Mellin - If you had ten grand to chuck into this to start with, how would you go about it?
    Set up an account with IG. Sorry Baz, it's the best platform. Upload moneyz. They have a load of training information on there also. Learn the basics as a minimum. Don't just whack ten grand on something on a whim. If you're spread betting (no tax, better for short term) you need to use position size to protect against risk and a margin call (don't just whack 10k on). Also, when you're down, and you will be, it's easier to let 1k ride than 5k. Then when the trade starts to work for you, you can look at increasing size. As I've said before, best to open a paper money account first and learn the ropes.

Feel free to run everything through here and I'll point you in the right direction. Don't use the aggressive strategy I talked about with 10k though. That's enough to move forward without needing to do that.
    Last edited by Mellberg; 18-11-2020 at 10:16 AM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't be a pussy Mellin. Short big oil Yev. Back our man Elon all the way.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No free share has shown up for me either Yev, so no idea whats gone on there.

But, if you put FMStoXkl in the promo box you will get a free share anyway. I just got 1 share of EasyJet.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or maybe rather than using a random one off Google, use mine?

FzFsneBk
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thinking of signing up to specifically not use Baz' code and then shut the account down.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    No free share has shown up for me either Yev, so no idea whats gone on there.

But, if you put FMStoXkl in the promo box you will get a free share anyway. I just got 1 share of EasyJet.
    Usually takes a day or so as they have to allocate the share.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    (plus every trade request needs to be cleared first so I can't just buy/sell as easily).
    I have this too but I'm sure if I ignore it and don't mention my activity it'll all be fine.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Thinking of signing up to specifically not use Baz' code and then shut the account down.
    I don’t even have it installed anymore tbh
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in on RR @ 101.32. S/L 99.5. Bit riskier and as usual no guarantees, but reason being is daily MACD suggests further upside. Low risk/reward ratio because of this:

Two diagonal lines which I've drawn and form a pennant. They are your support and resistance levels, hence the price continues to bounce off both sides. Has pulled away from the lower trend line slightly after a third visit, so S/L below the lows and hoping for a breakout upwards on it's fourth touch of upper trend line. Will add further size to trade if it breaks through. If not, a small loss. If it does, should hit 130, perhaps even 145. That's your risk reward lads and is basically the name of the game.

Fundamentals are good too, although not specific to RR.

https://m.investing.com/economic-calendar-/

CPI, PPI and RPI all beating projections.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 massages in a day Jimmy?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "and form a pennant"

In fairness I do the same shit but for fucking golfers so I should probably just leave the adults to it.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I genuinely think we're going to need a zoom group to get our heads around all of this.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is anyone actually interested in this or shall I just shut the fuck up and let the thread die?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm interested (as a reader), I'm just not biologically capable of taking it all in.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually interested yeah but can you maybe post a glossary or something.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, didn't mean to come across as condescending.

100% interested, it's just a bloody minefield. Which is reassuring in a way as if it were easy there'd be no money to be made from it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellberg View Post

Is anyone actually interested in this or shall I just shut the fuck up and let the thread die?
    I'm both very interested and very confused.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the colours Mellin uses in the graphs.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very interested, Uncle Mel. I'm massively keen to turn this from a Football Manager forum into an Investment Manager one. Lets make the forum private and finally get along with a shared goal.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roger

RR not looking particularly strong, so I might close the trade soon. Wouldn't advise following in if anyone's considering it. Currently hovering around my entry point (no profit, no loss).

I'll try and post a glossary for any bullshit trading terms which need explaining in future.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Closed for a small profit. I'll have another look at it tomorrow.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you think of Palantir? I've seen a lot of buzz about it and tempted to get involved as a higher risk/reward shot.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be willing to share my tips and tricks for conducting trains for a negotiable fee. Here's a free trial to see if it's of value:

The long passages of text and theory are required but need to be tidied up and only provided as supplementary information to the crux of the matter.

Said crux needs to be a short and potent snapshot. In these cases, what you want to do is relate every lesson to a tip/transaction e.g. Buy RR @ 75. Exit @ 130. Stop-loss@ 65

Also, you need to fillin the blanks and take mans through the entire process.

Aww, how cute.

A better example is probably the one I put in this thread rather than after eventing. Buy RR @ 75 for 1k. Scale up with your profit every pip and get out at saaaaay 130. I'd need Ital to do the maths, but your original trade is 4k+ alone. I think with scaling on top that must be closing in on the 10k range. Around 7k perhaps. That's in a day. Don't be that aggressive forever, but to start up it's what you need.

Join me boys.
    I need to know what 'scale up with your profit' means. How does a less than 100% rise in price leave your original trade making 400%+ profit?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought he meant you get out at 1 pip up, take the profit, then put it all back for the next pip up, etc etc. So you're constantly increasing your stake as it rises. But I could be wrong.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all about price per pip. A pip being a point, so an increase from 75 (buy price) to 130 (sell price) = 55pips.

If you buy 1 share, which for RR at 75 (the higher the price the more expensive the share) equates to £15. So 1 share x 55 = £55 profit.

£1,005 buys you 67 shares @ 75. So to be precise that rise would've been 67 x 55 which is £3,685. The higher your exposure, the more profit, but naturally the higher risk. I don't max my account on trades, but if you're starting out with 1K I feel it's the best way to gain traction. Be patient, try to find the perfect set up and then be aggressive by scaling up.

By scaling up I mean if you've staked 67, then for that pip you gain £67. So at 76 you can buy a further 4.44 shares (67/15.2 as £67 increase and £15.20 per pip @ 76). Continue this process until you hit a major resistance, which is usually a moving average on a higher time frame (hourly/4 hourly/ daily).

And I repeat I'd only be that aggressive with a smaller account to gain some capital and if you can risk 1k. You get yourself up to 5k+ with one good move and you should start reducing your size as a percentage of your account (3% tops per trade is my rule, usually 1%). If I get momentum I'll consider scaling in, so increasing size whilst already in profit and with no risk (I'll stop out for zero at worst).

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I thought he meant you get out at 1 pip up, take the profit, then put it all back for the next pip up, etc etc. So you're constantly increasing your stake as it rises. But I could be wrong.
    Close. You don't get out as you have to pay the spread (distance between buy price and where you enter to pay the broker) again on your first trade. Simply leave that running and add a further trade with profit made at that stage.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Close. You don't get out as you have to pay the spread (distance between buy price and where you enter to pay the broker) again on your first trade. Simply leave that running and add a further trade with profit made at that stage.
    This is the bit that confuses me. How am I leveraging profit that I haven't yet realised?

If I buy one share for £1 and it's worth £2 the next day I can't do anything with that additional £1 until I've sold the original share. Or is this where spread betting comes in and if so, how does that work?

You may have explained this above already, but like i said, minefield.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With spread betting you can use that profit as margin and invest it further.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the negative side you want to ensure you don't get margin called, where a trade is automatically partially closed on your behalf. IG is best for this as they allow slippage and won't simply close the trade (partially) immediately. It's one of the main (many) reasons why once you've built account size you don't want to be sticking your whole account on a trade. You're right, minefield. It's hard work and there's a lot to learn, but it's rewarding if you apply yourself and have a knack for it.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers.

The arrogant part of me that understands nothing of this thinks "how hard can it be - it's just shuffling numbers around a spreadsheet and I do that all day anyway", then the sensible part of me kicks in and I imagine what it would be like to have to rent rooms in my house out to cover my debt and unwavering addiction, while also doing favours for sailors as tenants alone will never be enough to cover the mess I've made of my finances.

On a more serious point, the shares in the company I work for are now worth more than double what they were 6/7 months ago and I missed the opportunity to make a genuine fortune because I didn't have the balls.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it's definitely not easy and the early months especially can be challenging. You learn by doing and mistakes cost money.

I still kick myself for not going in heavy on tech in late March/early April. Had a real good look and bottled it. Would be a millionaire.

Having said that it's massively rewarding when you get it right both emotionally and financially.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers.

The arrogant part of me that understands nothing of this thinks "how hard can it be - it's just shuffling numbers around a spreadsheet and I do that all day anyway", then the sensible part of me kicks in and I imagine what it would be like to have to rent rooms in my house out to cover my debt and unwavering addiction, while also doing favours for sailors as tenants alone will never be enough to cover the mess I've made of my finances.

On a more serious point, the shares in the company I work for are now worth more than double what they were 6/7 months ago and I missed the opportunity to make a genuine fortune because I didn't have the balls.
    How would you get in debt? Are you planning to take the margin route? I'm only investing what I have, so the worst it can get is losing what I have. I don't have the balls to go any deeper than that.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Toon View Post
    What do you think of Palantir? I've seen a lot of buzz about it and tempted to get involved as a higher risk/reward shot.
    Sorry, just seen this. Overbought so I wouldn't get involved personally. Not at this stage anyway. Has the potential to be a runner though.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    How would you get in debt? Are you planning to take the margin route? I'm only investing what I have, so the worst it can get is losing what I have. I don't have the balls to go any deeper than that.
    Margin doesn't equal debt. You could only get in debt by sourcing a loan externally (on retail accounts ie. not professional). You obviously can lose whatever you put in though.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tesla's on steroids again.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going to need to do some proper reading on this and start taking some risk here.

I’ve been shoving money into a bank account the last year or so but I’ll have the free time to read up on this jazz in the short term (weekends/xmas) so might as well work out what’s happening and crack on.

Think I’ll need to make myself some notes...

Useful resources appreciated.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Study:

Technicals
    Fundamentals
    Indicators
    Strategy
    Psychology

IG have a learning centre for the basics. Investopedia is good for getting lost down the rabbit hole. YouTube has a million videos.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Appreciate that.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think for the numpties amongst us (and I am very much in the numpty camp) Mellin should just quit his job and manage a hedge fund for us full time instead, creaming off commission as he goes.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put yourself on the market (oi oi) Mellers and let us invest in you properly.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lazy fuckers.

20%

New York schools to close. Hello. Looking for shorts.

Short = Wagering that the market will go down Boyd you big spaz

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I knew that one. Margot Robbie taught it to me from her bubble bath and it stuck. You want 20%? Get those taps running.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lazy fuckers.

20%

New York schools to close. Hello. Looking for shorts.

Short = Wagering that the market will go down Boyd you big spaz
    I know that much ffs. It's the acronyms you keep littering your posts with that I want explaining.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhh, okay.

MACD - Moving Average Convergence Divergence. It's an indicator which helps guide you with momentum and defining price direction.

RR - Rolls Royce. They build cars and stuff.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Convergence Divergence". For fuck sake

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They don't build cars. You can have that one, but further research is going to cost.