• It's Lunch.

2 10.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did you get a dinner ticket?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had school dinners at primary and initially at secondary, but all my mates had packed lunches so I switched, like a sheep. Never had FSM. Our school canteen does a pretty decent chicken wrap on a Wednesday but the rest of it is pretty shit.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, but I remember every day for about a year in secondary school I’d have a cheese string and about 5 packs of crisps for lunch.

Athlete

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I've ever had Curry, Rice and Chips as a meal outside of primary school.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my third year of secondary the dinner hall was rebranded 'The Fuel Zone' and we were all issued with payment cards that had to be topped up at a little machine, adding an annoying extra step to paying for your lunch.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    In my third year of secondary the dinner hall was rebranded 'The Fuel Zone' and we were all issued with payment cards that had to be topped up at a little machine, adding an annoying extra step to paying for your lunch.
    That sounds like something Jimmy would blame Blair for. He’d probably be right, in fairness.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Until about age 8 there was a Tuck Shop at our school, and yes that was actually the name on the sign and what we called it.
    Last edited by Disco; 16-06-2020 at 06:39 PM.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mum helped do the tuck shop at primary school sports day. Used to give her 10p and get about a tenners worth of sweets. It was pretty great.

I may have exaggerated the amounts slightly.

Edit: also sweets at sports day! None of that now, though we do get an ice cream van that can only sell after 3:30

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were allowed into town from year 10 for lunch which was pretty great.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ours was odd now I come to think of it, it wasn't a normal shop, it was this stern old woman behind a counter who would get what you wanted from the shelves behind her. We were appropriately terrified of her but did also want that Mars Bar and/or Wham Chew.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Irish teacher ran ours and he fucking hated me so would generally just ignore me when I wanted something.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    Very true - every day for 5 years I'd have a combination of chips and curry/gravy/chicken burger/cheese burger/turkey burger (with mayo)/turkey drummers (extra cost) or on rare occasions rice and curry.

Followed by a pop drink. Ate within 8 minutes before running outside to play football for the remaining 52 minutes of lunch.
    This is the actual key to not raising a generation of fat kids, isn't it? It never served me wrong. I ate shite all the time as a kid and I was (still am ) thin as a rake. Any self respecting, school aged boy who isn't yet old enough to have discovered drinking should be doing three hours a day cardio minimum, just through playing football. You can eat whatever the fuck you want off the back of that.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, I was a packed lunch kid. The school I went to had it's canteen ripped up by that big hurricane in 87 so it just became normal. even up to the time I moved to Geneva and kids were given 50 quid a day allowances by their Arms Selling parents.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    They renamed the canteen at my high school after I'd left (my younger brother was still there). They let the kid's choose the name, and then when they voted for House of Munch, they named it something else instead.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    Until about age 8 there was a Tuck Shop at our school, and yes that was actually the name on the sign and what we called it.
    We had a tuck shop at high school. It was like a little shed which opened one side to serve from. It was great.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    This is the actual key to not raising a generation of fat kids, isn't it? It never served me wrong. I ate shite all the time as a kid and I was (still am ) thin as a rake. Any self respecting, school aged boy who isn't yet old enough to have discovered drinking should be doing three hours a day cardio minimum, just through playing football. You can eat whatever the fuck you want off the back of that.
    100%. One of the biggest problems in politics is that everyone involved in it spent their youth being an indoorsy nerd of one sort or another, so they don't understand. Look at that excuse for a cunt who is culture secretary at the moment. Every school should have mandated 2-4 outdoor areas for informal sport/play/running around, and sport should be way more prominent on the curriculum.

There is literally no excuse for any kid not to like SOME type of exercise. It's not like it's the 50s and teachers are going to bully them if they aren't army fit.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    100%. One of the biggest problems in politics is that everyone involved in it spent their youth being an indoorsy nerd of one sort or another, so they don't understand. Look at that excuse for a cunt who is culture secretary at the moment. Every school should have mandated 2-4 outdoor areas for informal sport/play/running around, and sport should be way more prominent on the curriculum.

There is literally no excuse for any kid not to like SOME type of exercise. It's not like it's the 50s and teachers are going to bully them if they aren't army fit.
    As someone who had their local park sold off as a kid, it was wild to arrive in Switzerland and see every school has a football cage, a basketball court and a skate ramp.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    And sometimes that 8 minutes was about 2 as you could eat the burger on the move to join in the first game of Wembley doubles/singles. We must have all absolutely stunk going into the next lesson.

One time a lad went straight from PE into Geography without showering (?) and had mud all over his face. This was obviously all on Tony's watch.

PS- Primary school dinners were great. Cornflake cake (not rice krispie cake) was the one - think it's pretty much northern. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/easy-cornflake-tart
    And the custard.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    And sometimes that 8 minutes was about 2 as you could eat the burger on the move to join in the first game of Wembley doubles/singles. We must have all absolutely stunk going into the next lesson.
    Yep, we all did. The stink of BO and Lynx still didn't rival the smell of coffee coming from the staff room.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was an independent school (what you in the UK might bizarrely call a ‘public school’) wanker, so it was packed lunches for me. We didn’t even have a cafeteria; just some shit vending machines and a ‘food truck’ that would come M-F (and not the modern interpretation of the term, either; it was some old, fat man selling shit, pre-packaged food of unknown, questionable origin).

That being said, school lunches in Canada are a mess. There is no comprehensive national strategy; it’s left up to the provinces, who have largely dropped the ball. So much so that the programs that help underprivileged students pay for school meals (if they are at all available at school) are mostly ran and funded through charitable organizations, and are completely separate from the school system. We’re (somehow) ranked worse than America.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    There were no cafeterias in Mexico, so your mom would pack a sandwich and some cheetos for you. During middle school there was a woman that would sell quesadillas though, so that was great.
    You got a cheeto or champiñon?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend once brought some weirdly spicy red sweets back from Mexico, they were great but I've never known what they were.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonsky View Post
    What?
    That's every interaction he ever has with a non-white person.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    A friend once brought some weirdly spicy red sweets back from Mexico, they were great but I've never known what they were.
    Hot Tamales?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favourite Mexican snack was when they put hot sauce on my popcorn at the wrestling.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way the popcorn gets soaked.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonsky View Post
    What?
    Do you mean a chapulín?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of Mexican snacks, the mango with Tajin that you get at various shady subway stops in Brooklyn is a fucking revelation.

Also speaking of Mexican snacks, Pepe's looking pretty good with his long hair.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mango with tajin is legit. Jicama with tajin and lemon is still the GOAT though.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fucking AUDACITY of bringing that up when you know that the pandemic has shortened global supply chains. Where am I going to find jicama now?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never mind. Instacart saves the day.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't eaten jicama in years.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned