User Tag List

View Poll Results: What are your memories of Euro 96?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heartbreak

3 25.00%
  • Good tournament

7 58.33%
  • Shit tournament

0 0%
  • Fuck off Uri Geller

2 16.67%
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: May Football: Euro 96, I guess

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reading the first third or so, Player X comes across much less well this time.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought that from the first one. For somebody in a position to give all of his wages away he comes across as a bit of a tightly-wound whopper.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn’t it Mark Noble?

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52542756

Professional Footballers' Association chief executive Gordon Taylor says halves of less than 45 minutes are being considered when football resumes.
    Jesus Christ.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3 corners a penalty to avoid contact in the box

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The logical solution is one proper Wembley singles to be held in Wembley with player of the club's choosing. Bernard Lama as the goalie.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon they should just decide the season by a series of coin tosses.

Televised of course, with 3 hours build up to each.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting the clubs playing it out on FIFA20 would genuinely be better than some of the shit they're suggesting.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "But first, three hours of players talking about what packs they've opened."

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything they suggest is just less and less like real football and will end up with a far less enjoyable product.

Surely the best option is just to wait 4 to 6 weeks toll things are a bit more normal and then decide.

I think they should get this season finished between September and November, neutral grounds is fine. Month off in December.

Then next season starts in January, everyone plays each other once and the season finishes in time for the Euros even if we have a delay due to a second or third wave.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I think they should get this season finished between September and November, neutral grounds is fine. Month off in December.

Then next season starts in January, everyone plays each other once and the season finishes in time for the Euros even if we have a delay due to a second or third wave.
    If we're not being radical, that's definitely the way forward - or you could have a 21-22 lasting 18 months from January to April '22 which gives some leeway and a bit of time to fit in cups and other things.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do a continent-wide Euros not seem an even sillier idea now than they did when announced?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to watch some spectator-less games. I saw the one CL fixture that was played behind closed doors in March and you could hear everything the coaches, players, and ref said in near perfect clarity. I felt a lot closer to the action somehow

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    The logical solution is one proper Wembley singles to be held in Wembley with player of the club's choosing. Bernard Lama as the goalie.
    Firmino please.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mugbull View Post
    I would love to watch some spectator-less games. I saw the one CL fixture that was played behind closed doors in March and you could hear everything the coaches, players, and ref said in near perfect clarity. I felt a lot closer to the action somehow
    Go and watch lower league then.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's just wait until next march and pick up where we left off

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paulp Ogba would win that singles tournament no worries. Let's do it.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would make sense to fuck off/over the season they haven't started yet rather than the one that's mostly finished. Wait until crowds can safely come back and take your time finishing it a few months from now.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Firmino please.
    Joelinton's time to shine.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could have left the last three words off the end of the headline really.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without wanting to agree with someone who is purely pursuing self interest, unless it's finished 100% fairly, I don't see the point of finishing it at all.

So fans that are rallying against the idea of that being the case need to wake up and realise the only aim here with these suggestions is to keep the money going and rally against that.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Villa are just gambling that Bournemouth and Brighton etc will go out of business before they do. If they are voting against starting the season without fans, then it'll be a year before football starts and clubs will be dying everywhere.

If they are saying they want to play in an empty Villa Park rather than an empty neutral ground, then lol at the naked self interest.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obviously things are fucked and this isn't a priority, but I think the least we can expect is a fair trial rather than being patsies for the money grab. Be disappointed in the club if they went "yeah ok m8s".

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like I know the answer to this but ... how feasible is it to arrange a round of fixtures behind closed doors on a need to know basis?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the clubs who aren’t happy with finishing the season at neutral venues. All well and good. But, what are they going to do instead pay back SKY/BT/The Foreigns a large portion of the money they have already been given for this season? Because I’d imagine Villa, Bournemouth and the like probably don’t have it.

For me personally(yes I am biased) but you finish this season properly. Be it in the summer, 6 months time or 12 months time. Once that’s done you then look at how you make the following seasons work because you’ve got the scope.

You void this season and you’d imagine the football league clubs will kick off. Not just Leeds and WBA but anyone around the playoffs who is in with a chance of promotion. How do you appease them?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's naive to think anyone is thinking about sporting considerations at the moment. This is about TV money and who has it in 3 months, 6 months, a year and two years. If Aston Villa and Brighton think that finishing the season behind closed doors is going to risk even the later portions of that money for them then they will stand against it until the bitter end.

The top clubs probably want to get going because they know that the money will be back soon enough for them, but Brighton/Villa etc don't know that and would probably rather force an endless deadlock that would have an equally devastating financial effect on every club, than be one of only 3 clubs to take a huge and unique hit through footballing relegation.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't give a fuck about your shit country's football, I'll be too busy drowning in a sea of jizz at Union Berlin vs Augsburg on a wet and windy Thursday night at the stadion an der alten forsterei

Fuckin prayed not cancelling BT would pay off and oh my, how correct I was.

Fire up the betting thread too and let's get some wild trains going to make use of all that excess disposable income.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leroy Sane is going to Bayern.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd fully forgotten he existed.

It will forever be lol that Low was so stuck up his own arse he didn't pick the guy for the last World Cup.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm amazed by how long he's been in that job. 14 years is a long time in International management. EDIT: He really didn't raise the needle prior to joining up with Klinsmann, either. What an odd career.
    Last edited by Shindig; 07-05-2020 at 04:18 PM.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That probably affords him 10 slips.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some live football for ya.

Daejeon v Suwon

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's Jeonbuk isn't it?

I am praying that club branded masks don't become a thing.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    It's Jeonbuk isn't it?
    It is. Not sure where I got Daejeon from.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've no idea where they've piped the crowd noise from.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeonbuk are my K League side after I used their green kit for the Garden Soccer FUT side.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's looking more likely that Leagues One and Two will be decided on some kind of points per game basis, with the top three being promoted. Coventry and Rotherham as the top two seems pretty straightforward, but then there are six sides separated by one point, from 3rd down to 8th. A simple ppg would see Wycombe climb around four places to 3rd and the final promotion slot, whereas a 'weighted' ppg extrapolation would see Oxford remain in third.

Oxford were around 10th a month or so before the season ended, and Wycombe had started to drop after being right up there for most of the season. Portsmouth and Fleetwood were in form and level on points with the others, with Peterborough there or thereabouts too (and Sunderland). There's going to be some fallout, I think it's safe to say.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Wycombe-Oxford legal battle to the death, I can imagine there will be pockets of guerrilla fighters hiding out in the Chiltern Hills any time now.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In fairness, they are two of the biggest shithouses in the league.

'Shithousery' is the official adjective, verb and noun of League One, btw.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Karl Robinson lives a couple doors down from me and has seen my physical prowess on my bikes and walks round our nearby lake whilst he's rolling round it, the fat cunt. This just came today and beside being the most excited I've been about a purchase since ISS Pro 98 on PS1, I'm hoping it leads to him seeing my tekkers and offering me a contract too but I'm not sure if that'll come if they go up to Championship.

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScousePig View Post
    In fairness, they are two of the biggest shithouses in the league.

'Shithousery' is the official adjective, verb and noun of League One, btw.
    I have been to a single League One match in my life - in which the two managers were Grant McCann and Stuart McCall - and I can say I enjoyed the vibe very much indeed.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been trying to get my hands on a Jabulani. Fuck paying north of £150.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been to a single League One match in my life - in which the two managers were Grant McCann and Stuart McCall - and I can say I enjoyed the vibe very much indeed.
    It's been a bit of an eye opener in a number of ways. I'm different to many Sunderland fans in that up until the age of 15 I followed my local non-league team up and down the north of England, and barely missed a game in ten years. So in that regard I'm very much accustomed to lower league/non-league football and generally enjoy the vibe. The amount of working class towns, mining and pit villages I've visited across the country is probably quite impressive, and at last count I was on 130-something professional and semi-professional grounds visited.

Anwyay, I digress. Obviously being in League One is a bit of a middle ground to what many Sunderland fans were used to, and what I'd been used to. People were pissed off we got relegated down to the league, but many were looking forward to the 'refreshing honesty' of lower league football. Oh how that opinion has since changed! People thought that diving, feigning injury, what you might term as the behaviour of the 'fannies' in the Premier League would cease to an extent, and instead we'd see more honest, hard working footballers, albeit nowhere near as good, but 'proper football', if you like.

The reality is that the diving, feigning injury, time wasting, constant barraging of the officials from both players and managers/coaches very much compares to the Premier League, and many people would argue is worse.

In the past, lower league teams have all kind of merged a little bit and I couldn't have separated the likes of Wycombe and Bristol Rovers (for example) much. I've enjoyed it to an extent, particularly being able to see certain teams and grounds properly for the first time, but we could really do with sorting ourselves out quickly.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I can see the number of sharks and cheats is pretty constant all the way down to the very lowest levels of the semi-pro game.

The sense I got at the game I went to (it was Peterborough) was of a greater enjoyment of the football as a day out regardless of the result - they lost 3-1 that day, but the team played some decent stuff and nobody seemed too down at the end. There was a kind of acceptance that if they went about things the right way, then it was fine to have bad results sometimes. At Chelsea, and this gets worse every year, it is ALL about the result and if the team isn't at least a goal up in the first 15 minutes, the atmosphere quickly changes to one of fear and anxiety, hostility towards own players, and ultimately frustrated entitlement. I'm sure that's the same at many top flight grounds.
    Last edited by Jimmy Floyd; 08-05-2020 at 02:05 PM.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52587297

Tottenham Hotspur forward Son Heung-min has completed his three-week mandatory military service in South Korea - and won an award for the best performance.

Officials said the 27-year-old excelled in shooting skills and was the top performer among 157 trainees.

Amazing.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I can see the number of sharks and cheats is pretty constant all the way down to the very lowest levels of the semi-pro game.

The sense I got at the game I went to (it was Peterborough) was of a greater enjoyment of the football as a day out regardless of the result - they lost 3-1 that day, but the team played some decent stuff and nobody seemed too down at the end. There was a kind of acceptance that if they went about things the right way, then it was fine to have bad results sometimes. At Chelsea, and this gets worse every year, it is ALL about the result and if the team isn't at least a goal up in the first 15 minutes, the atmosphere quickly changes to one of fear and anxiety, hostility towards own players, and ultimately frustrated entitlement. I'm sure that's the same at many top flight grounds.
    The only teams to play decent football have been Luton, Barnsley and to an extent Coventry. Two of whom were promoted last season, one are top this season. Peterborough have the odd flash, and you get another team popping up from time to time, such as Fleetwood this season. Rochdale in fairness too, but it's probably to their detriment.

Barnsley are an interesting case re results. They have a 'model' of only signing young players, playing a certain way and basically accepting their place as either top end League One or Championship relegation fodder.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see Brighton have managed to infect one of their players with impeccable timing.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The beeb's put up another retrospective on The Entertainers again. I keep trying to think what kind of mad maths we would've needed to somehow win that year. Fenton scoring twice against us and Collymore's late winner put us right out of contention. Even if those four minutes never happened, we'd have lost on goal difference by a mile. It wasn't really the late goals that did us in. We loved to ship them early, especially against the big sides.