1 3.33%
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: How are you?

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all settled down nicely, only three things I really miss; playing football, sauna and night-time shenanigans. Those three are largely how I spent the majority of my free time tbf but two months of no commuting, minimal work and minimal seshing has me feeling the best I've ever felt physically and mentally and I can definitely do up to 12 months of this. Not a chance I could do it permanently though.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am badly missing cricket and my cricket club - not so much the game (I've retired from playing anyway and embarking on an umpiring career, for which covid should move me up the ladder as it polishes off a few old boys) but the fact that it gives me purpose in life, gives me something to look forward to at the end of the working days/weeks, and is my main social community containing 90% of my friends.

We're going to be ok financially, unlike many clubs, but taking that out of my life, and potentially for another year to come, has been pretty horrendous and no amount of box sets/zoom quizzes/TTH/guitar playing/sim driving and everything else I'm doing to fill the time can remotely compensate.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've noticed that Haxball players have been coping a lot better than non-players.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hear that lads? We're not good enough for old hoity-toity cricket pants.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do help, it must be said. Some of you, anyway.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you're welcome mate

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think we've settled into a nice routine. It helps that I'm still working and that I've got a dedicated work space (complete with stuff that I've pinched from the office). We're using Teams as well to get a bit of human interaction as well.

I will say we were worried. I mean, we've been together for nearly 12 years and married for 3 and a half but a lot of people underestimate what a change it is to be with your wife 24/7 and barring a couple of minor spats, we're doing pretty well all things considered.

The company has made it clear that WFH will be a big part of our corporate thinking going forward, as we've coped with it perfectly so I'm looking forward to pushing for regular WFH in the future.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm loving the fitness and rest side of all of this. Extra hour sleep everyday, more cardio, more free time. Less worrying about staying in the office. Missing things like not being able to head up to family but not overly missing football (playing or watching). I've been reading a lot more as well which is something I'm shit at finding time for.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Other than for the sake of something to have on while I do other things I'm really not missing football yet. I'll be annoyed to have no international tournament though as that's basically my favourite form of football these days.

Regarding the general theme of the thread I'm still just bored out of my mind. Probably grumpier than usual but I live alone so at least there's nobody to take it out on.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spend half the time seething about living alone and the other half of the time delighted about it. There really is no way of holding a consistent and balanced state of mind at the moment. Just got to roll with the punches.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think if I had flatmates I'd despise them all by now.

My parents stayed with me for about two months a couple of years ago when they'd sold their house down south but hadn't got one up here yet and I was ready to fucking murder them by the end. And I generally speaking get on really well with my parents, but the constant lack of time to myself had me angry basically all the time.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I spend half the time seething about living alone and the other half of the time delighted about it. There really is no way of holding a consistent and balanced state of mind at the moment. Just got to roll with the punches.
    We're living mirrored lives here Jim. I spend 75% my time loving being with my family and 25% of my time considering sleeping in the car.

I have always been a person that needs my own space, but that is extremely limited at the moment. I love my family, but sometimes I just want to sit on my own, scratch my bollocks and watch a documentary with a can in my non-scratching hand.
    Last edited by Spikey M; 08-05-2020 at 06:55 PM.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive took my first day off in months Monday. Gonna see the folks.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hadn’t had a shite since Tuesday night and now I’m on my third since 5 ish. Smells like poppadoms

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d love a poppadom.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve had them today and on Wednesday. North Indian Garlic Chilli chicken

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am oscillating on around a six day cycle of absolutely sound to completely fed up of it all and back again.

When you really focus on it, deprivation of freedom really is the worst thing ever.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was a reasonably long post but I deleted the lot and replaced it with that second line.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was definitely a point over the weekend where I started to feel it. I can go outside but, with barely any places open, there's so little to do.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Feel like I've done nothing but consume media for the past six weeks. I can't watch TV any more. It is mind numbing.

My mood is noticeably worse every day where I don't get myself out of breath, but I really hate exercising alone. Or maybe just running, which is fucking awful business. I'm craving a game of football or something competitive to share with someone.
    Last edited by -james-; 12-05-2020 at 10:50 PM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alcohol is just boredom relief. I've had spells off it with ease in the past but I have no resistance to a few glasses of wine every night at the moment. Just why would you not?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright beast we're not LiveJournal.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll be able to gamble your life away within the week.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the livejournal thread Lewis m8.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Play Your Heart Out For the Dead.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -james- View Post
    That was a reasonably long post but I deleted the lot and replaced it with that second line.
    Dickhead.

Alcohol is just boredom relief. I've had spells off it with ease in the past but I have no resistance to a few glasses of wine every night at the moment. Just why would you not?
    I got on it on Saturday and my mood has been relatively foul for the past three days as a result. Shit weather and skipping my exercise on Sunday and Monday didn't help but living my life as a carefully controlled science experiment and analysing the variables, I can categorically say it's all down to the liquor and the disturbed sleep quality it led to on Saturday night. Quit it for 2 weeks, regulate your sleep and you won't be having these dips.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'I can stop any time I want, I just don't want to'.

You sound like my dad just before my mum left him. He was found dead at the bottom of his stairs within the year. If you can stop, do it before you can't.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    'I can stop any time I want, I just don't want to'.

You sound like my dad just before my mum left him. He was found dead at the bottom of his stairs within the year. If you can stop, do it before you can't.
    It’s like the lad I used to work with that always bragged about giving up smoking.
    “I don’t see how anyone finds it difficult, I’ve done it 5 times already.”

I’m pulling back on it myself a bit now too as the old guts can’t take it as well as they used to and as much as I like trying a new beer, it’s not worth it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also I was nailing the drink early on, also because I had homebrew to drink before the next batch needed bottling, but only drinking on the weekend gives the week more structure.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I felt great up until finding out my mum has [probably] thrown away my Euro 96 ball.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why was anything you cared about still at your mum's house anyway?

Asking for trouble.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Women fucking love throwing things away, don't ever trust them with any kind of possessions. There's something wired in them that sees 95% of all human/male activity as a frivolous waste of time that needs to go in the bin.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Why was anything you cared about still at your mum's house anyway?

Asking for trouble.
    Good point.

It was ALWAYS kept under the stairs, right at the back where unless you’re a ninja or weigh less than 10 stone you simply cannot reach. Used to only get it out in special occasions (when we were going playing on the field because it was too precious to play with in the street or even the garden.)

She says it’s still in there but my dad REFUSED to take all the old coats out so she could go in and have a look, simply repeating its not when I asked him why they fell out about it this morning.

If she wasn’t vulnerable I’d have marched round and gone in there myself. But alas, I’ll cling on to the shred of hope that it’s still in there.

It’s not.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's not an Italia 90 ball then there's no point having it anyway.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Women fucking love throwing things away, don't ever trust them with any kind of possessions. There's something wired in them that sees 95% of all human/male activity as a frivolous waste of time that needs to go in the bin.
    My mum's the opposite. My dad's always trying to get her to throw stuff she keeps out. Bit of a hoarder.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This or moving it to a location that will never be known again. The wife loves moving items I frequently use to a place so it's "less messy".

Drink wise, not been too bad. Maybe drink a glass of wine with dinner (which isn't that abnormal) and a few drinks on friday or saturday. Exercise has gone up either by running or videos. We don't have the TV on at all during the day and in the evening it's just to watch TV series so not really getting any negative bollocks.

Grab a book is my advice. Or watch Euro 96 with me.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My state of mind has improved a fair bit in the last week since I started eating a bit healthier and have found a couple of projects to do in the evenings which take my mind off everything. Running isn't my bag but I like a walk so I'm thinking of during an endurance walk up to London and back at the weekend, now we're allowed to.

No doubt it'll swing back to shit soon enough.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are your projects?

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Good point.

It was ALWAYS kept under the stairs, right at the back where unless you’re a ninja or weigh less than 10 stone you simply cannot reach. Used to only get it out in special occasions (when we were going playing on the field because it was too precious to play with in the street or even the garden.)

She says it’s still in there but my dad REFUSED to take all the old coats out so she could go in and have a look, simply repeating its not when I asked him why they fell out about it this morning.

If she wasn’t vulnerable I’d have marched round and gone in there myself. But alas, I’ll cling on to the shred of hope that it’s still in there.

It’s not.
    Deffo there lad.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long is that endurance walk?

I've currently not gone above 15 miles yet but I'm thinking of doing something similar when weather gets better, there really is nothing like it. Offie said it best, running is for oiks.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    How long is that endurance walk?

I've currently not gone above 15 miles yet but I'm thinking of doing something similar when weather gets better, there really is nothing like it. Offie said it best, running is for oiks.
    I don't know really, however long I want it to be, but I've done 22 miles before and 20 seems a reasonable target at my current level of fitness. I was thinking of Wimbledon and back which would be about 15 miles although that may be over-ambitious for starters, I haven't fully plotted it out yet.

Stamford Bridge and back would be a fun one if I ever got physically capable and had some better socks. That would be nearer marathon length I think.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm doing 10 miles daily but going off that 15 miler, 20+ sounds pretty serious. I'll be fucked if I'm not seeing what the realistic limits are (I estimate over 30 is asking for joint problems).

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just walking, you big fanny.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    30 is probably dawn until dusk stuff, I'm not sure that's doable except for people a lot fitter than me. I've found that about 12 is comfortable and then every mile above that adds a layer of toughness. When I did 22 I also got lost and had to walk directly through a large herd of cows which stiffened the sinews a bit and probably provided the adrenaline to get through an extra 5 miles or so than I would otherwise have been able to do.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m back in the office today. Doing less work than I’ve done in weeks. It’s great.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    30 is probably dawn until dusk stuff, I'm not sure that's doable except for people a lot fitter than me. I've found that about 12 is comfortable and then every mile above that adds a layer of toughness. When I did 22 I also got lost and had to walk directly through a large herd of cows which stiffened the sinews a bit and probably provided the adrenaline to get through an extra 5 miles or so than I would otherwise have been able to do.
    Yeah, as is the style of the time, it's an exponential growth thing type thing, once you go above a certain mileage things start to hurt/fall apart rapidly.

Longest I've done was a 39 mile round the island job a few years ago and after about 30 it's hard/impossible depending on your levels of tolerance and the quality of your feet.

Anything up to 20 is alright depending on the ground.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did 42 for charity as a 16 year old, was in bits for a week. Probably die if I repeated that now.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Calm down Captain Tom

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hammer's famous walk from Leeds to Sheffield clocks in at around 33 miles, according to Google maps. Sod that, especially going from one northern turd dump to another.