User Tag List

View Poll Results: The most boring title race?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not boring, the collapse is ON

2 11.11%
  • Yeah this is probably the most boring

4 22.22%
  • Nah, _____ (details in the thread) was worse

2 11.11%
  • Coronavirus will kill us all before then

7 38.89%
  • Turtle

3 16.67%
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: March football: More like LOLverpool, amirite?

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's all gaming talk.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foe View Post
    Dub is a great word for a victory to anyone with an appetite for American sport.

He likes American things...
    Just because we can blame americans for all this bullshit, along with the likes of TB12, J-Rod, etc, doesn’t mean we have to try get to be americans. Nothing worse than a middle aged white man coming out with that manure and our NFL thread here is riddled with it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Just because we can blame americans for all this bullshit, along with the likes of TB12, J-Rod, etc, doesn’t mean we have to try get to be americans. Nothing worse than a middle aged white man coming out with that manure and our NFL thread here is riddled with it.
    TBxTB now too

Run CMC is still my favourite.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back to football though. The FA basically decided to fob off the lower divisions now is a bit wild. Less likely to have large crowds, less policing requirement etc and yet the first to go.

Doesn’t really work is the upper divisions don’t follow. And if they do, I can imagine there would be a world of lawsuits that would just attempt to postpone and defer anyway.

The argument about shirt sponsorships and what not being a reason to void a season is wild too.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It can work if you just decide the point at which no one else gets relegated (Football League, National League, wherever).

They have to just finish this one whenever, and then have a bridging half season or one-and-a-half season to get to the start of 21/22 or 22/23, if indeed we are ready to go by then.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A precedent's been set with the non-league season voided. When the bottom of the pyramid takes one step, you can't expect those above to choose a different route. I don't even think non-league made the right call but then a lot of those players aren't professionals. They have day jobs. Many of which might be under threat.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jersey properly fucked over by the voiding. They'd won every game and promotion before it got canned. Silver-lining is it's better playing in the lower divisions where you get to batter everyone, rather than be the batteree a few steps up the ladder.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He could have given it a little longer before using it as an excuse.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    A precedent's been set with the non-league season voided. When the bottom of the pyramid takes one step, you can't expect those above to choose a different route. I don't even think non-league made the right call but then a lot of those players aren't professionals. They have day jobs. Many of which might be under threat.
    They will finish the season. Some of the smaller clubs will band together and threaten to sue.

Interesting discrimination case being threatened by Barnsley’s women case. Top 4 levels of men game retained for now. Only top 2 of women’s.

It’s a legal nightmare.

Straddling one season across two years to get back to normality is the logical solution. And I think if they just separated the commercial aspect of it that’s where they would get to. A wake up call to clubs, that they’ve needed for a while, to run their businesses a bit less tight to the brim.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm now convinced everything will be voided. They'll want to get as many games in as they can for teh moneyz, so a full season next year. The only way in which it won't, is if this carries on for so long that the first half of next season is off. In that case you might as well carry it over.
    Last edited by Mellberg; 28-03-2020 at 11:20 AM.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As daft as it might sound but voiding it would be too much to handle. I'd prefer 10 slips than one void.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 90% certain I'd spend the rest of my life in fits of laughter.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if they will try and finish this season and then literally the week it has finished start the next season.

I feel like the fairest most logical thing we be to have nest season a 19 game league but obviously less football = less money and again you could get screwed by who you play home and away. They are far too driven by money to allow any less football to be played.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully they opt for voiding ahead of behind closed doors bollocks. It was a fucking horrendous season with that VAR shit anyway, fix that crap and let's go properly in August.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think lower league has gone because of the lack of money in it.

Higher divisions will wait before making a decision, for example the Premier League will probably get to about mid-May. If there is no change in the situation I find it hard to see them dragging it on.

I know they've only just decided it will go on indefinitely but that will lead to decisions they dont want to make about next season. If allowed, playing the remaining games in June/July if only behind closed doors is feasible but then you're delving into the contract situation.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope they don’t void it, partly because I’m a selfish cunt and we’ll not be third if we just reset, and partly because I think it’s just a clunky way of sorting things.

Finish this season whenever then make a decision on next afterwards. I’d go with finish it at some point in 2020, then go with calendar year seasons to run into Qatar 2022. You could have the Euros in the middle of a mid-season ‘break’ or just shift that to winter too. They might want to look at just sticking it in on country, too.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Void the shit out of it.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they do void it, they'll have to promote quite a number of teams into the top flight I think and then run a single round robin as the 20/21 season before relegating them all again to get back to normal for 21/22. Then the same as you go down the divisions.

In fact, if start date is beyond August (which I think it will be), this must be the preferable way of doing it.

The only problem with that is it will have to be squared off with Europe and those teams, and UEFA itself, will be more lawyer-driven and desperate for cash than ours, as we probably have the strongest and most resilient pure domestic setup in the world. In fact, we definitely do.
    Last edited by Jimmy Floyd; 28-03-2020 at 12:17 PM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mon.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't get enough of the bullshit interim content. Yesterday it was Gary Neville being BRUTALLY HONEST about Valencia in his weird little mid-life crisis office, and now Jamie Carragher in his kitchen explaining why he can't be arsed with coaching.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Irwin the one-footed sour-faced midget botches a goal line clearance with his right foot. Great effort from Darren Peacock.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rather than just replaying old sport we know the result of, they need to put some contemporary repartie over it, DVD commentary style.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched our 1992/3 season review the other day and it's odd to see the difference in football just a few years apart.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    I watched our 1992/3 season review the other day and it's odd to see the difference in football just a few years apart.
    What were the biggest differences you noted?

To be fair, that was almost 30 years ago

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he's talking about 1992/3 and this match being streamed which was 96/97.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aye. In those four years, it starts to look more contemporary. 92/3 was really scrappy and the team was erm ... workmanlike. Lee Clark, Rob Lee and Andy Cole started to look like players bred for it. The pitches start to clean up better in those years, too.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The money really started to come in in 92 (when football started) and werent you also in the second tier that season?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. Plus we did spend £4.75m. Still, the only thing that looked positively 90s about the players were the haircuts. Aside from Kilcline's.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    The majority of people I work and am friends with are Americans. I went to an American high-school. It's not performative.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Don't have a cow, man.'

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come on now, I'm not Yevrah's age.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    H-Yev.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thing I got from the promotion season was how absolutely mental our tactical discipline was. I couldn't pick out who are strikers were at some point because almost everyone in the midfield wanted to go forward.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just re-watched Croatia v England from Euro 2004 on BBC One and it’s fair to say I remember fuck all about that match. I had to look up which Portugal game it was after as I had it confused with the 2006 Rooney sending off one.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first Portugal match was a gem we were very unlucky to lose. The second one, like everything we did at 2006, was a total disgrace.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mo View Post
    Just re-watched Croatia v England from Euro 2004 on BBC One and it’s fair to say I remember fuck all about that match. I had to look up which Portugal game it was after as I had it confused with the 2006 Rooney sending off one.
    Turns out it's a much, much more boring game than either its reputation, my memory (possibly warped by its reputation( or the scoreline would suggest too.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UEFA are saying that if UEFA competitions (CL/Europa) aren't being played by June 1st then they will void the competition and start again meaning that PL and friends would have to finish their season (or submit that years choices to play in the competition) before the Preliminary Rounds start. The preliminaries started in June last year.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The football community is staggeringly behind the times with this. There is absolutely no chance that European competition begins again in June.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Turns out it's a much, much more boring game than either its reputation, my memory (possibly warped by its reputation( or the scoreline would suggest too.
    It's an England game.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NULL AND VOID.

Imagine how long Liverpool will be crying about this.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck Liverpool, I'll fucking cry.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't get the obsession with starting a new season without having finished the current one.

I could see a scenario where the English refuse to start up in June and keep extending this season and daring UEFA not to include them in the Champions League/Europe League in some way.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really you don't know why?

Realistically, are mass gatherings going to be allowed by June or July anywhere in Europe? Or international travel for that matter? Fuck knows how you'd go about 'starting up qualifying' unless we've just decided to go down the mass grave route by then.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shorten the European programme if they must. Knockouts instead of two-legged toss and group stages. Back on track, easily.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's plenty of ways to do it. They don't have to have the last 16 over the course of three months, for example.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Football must complete no matter what state the world is. Even if hundreds of thousands have died and economies are on the brink of collapse, we cannot allow the Premier League not to complete.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They really need to let it go.

Don't know why they haven't all been furloughed yet.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been holding off on my season ticket renewal mostly due to having no idea what is going to happen this season/next. Renewals were supposed to be doing by early April but I don't think anyone is even working in the ticket office at the moment.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    Really you don't know why?

Realistically, are mass gatherings going to be allowed by June or July anywhere in Europe? Or international travel for that matter? Fuck knows how you'd go about 'starting up qualifying' unless we've just decided to go down the mass grave route by then.
    No I get why we're not currently all packing into stadia etc. But when we do decide it's safe to start up again, why must it be a new season? Even if it is October or some time similar.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad I didn’t go for the ST this year. Season definitely isn’t getting back under way in June and club probably won’t exist by the time this is all over.