User Tag List

Page 563 of 581 FirstFirst ... 63463513553561562563564565573 ... LastLast
Results 28,101 to 28,150 of 29008

Thread: Coronavirus Death Thread

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And are you really saying it doesn't matter whether young people are subject to 84 times the risk of myocarditis having been vaccinated or did I misread that?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    The point was specifically in relation to kids and young people being vaccinated and whether it was worth it, it sounds like you're gagging to include Doris in any analysis into this.
    Nah, it's just that videos like the one you posted are such a narrow and incomplete viewpoint.

Perhaps I was overly evangelical about vaccinating kids at the time, I honestly can't remember and I'm well aware I'm not above being wrong. I still think I would vaccinate my kid if I had one.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And are you really saying it doesn't matter whether young people are subject to 84 times the risk of myocarditis having been vaccinated or did I misread that?
    The numbers I'm going to give are purely hypothetical, I'm just trying to explain the point.

Say you have a 50 times greater risk of X complication after a vaccine. However, if you catch the illness the vaccine protects against whilst being unvaccinated, you have 1000 times risk of X.

If the vaccine reduces the 1000 times risk of X after infection to 5 times risk of X after infection, then the risk-benefit is greatly in favour of vaccination despite the initial risk it itself confers (provided it is sufficiently likely that the person will catch the illness at some point, which with covid it obviously is).

You then also have to take into account whether vaccination reduces the risks of Y, Z, A, B and C as well (and of course whether it might increase the risk of D, E, F, G, and H).

I don't know the numbers off the top of my head for this specific example and they are not that easy to find from a quick google. I'm just trying to explain why it's not as simple as "vaccine increases risk of X = bad don't' take".
    Last edited by randomlegend; 12-02-2022 at 10:07 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone needs to have the choice above all else. I am vaccinated but I got myocarditis so have not had the booster. I probably wouldn’t have my children vaccinated because I don’t see enough risk to them but when they’re old enough they can make their own choice without judgement.

I go to Austria for work now and again and in seven weeks time I won’t be allowed to enter because I haven’t had a booster and my second vaccine would have been over 270 days ago. Being excluded because of a choice is a slippery slope.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    The numbers I'm going to give are purely hypothetical, I'm just trying to explain the point.

Say you have a 50x greater risk of X complication after a vaccine. However, if you catch the illness the vaccine protects against whilst being unvaccinated, you have 1000x risk of X.

If the vaccine reduces the 1000x risk of X after infection to 5x risk of X after infection, then the risk-benefit is greatly in favour of vaccination despite the initial risk it confers itself (provided it is sufficiently likely that the person will catch the illness at some point, which with covid it obviously is).

You then also have to take into account whether vaccination reduces the risks of Y, Z, A, B and C as well.

I don't know the numbers off the top of my head and they are not that easy to find from a quick google. I'm just trying to explain why it's not as simple as "vaccine increased risk of X = bad".
    I get that if 12 year olds are at an 84 times risk of myocarditis from the vaccine, but a 99 times risk of it from catching COVID then the vaccine is worth them having, but is that the case? I know there's a risk generally of it from COVID, but generally includes 80 year olds and we shouldn't even be factoring people my age into a decision on vaccinating kids, let alone pensioners.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Everyone needs to have the choice above all else. I am vaccinated but I got myocarditis so have not had the booster. I probably wouldn’t have my children vaccinated because I don’t see enough risk to them but when they’re old enough they can make their own choice without judgement.

I go to Austria for work now and again and in seven weeks time I won’t be allowed to enter because I haven’t had a booster and my second vaccine would have been over 270 days ago. Being excluded because of a choice is a slippery slope.
    If you had vaccine related myocarditis surely you can get a medical exemption?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can if I want but my brother can’t and he is firmly in the “fuck that” camp after finding out it happened to me.

Not hospitalised, but not pleasant.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get that if 12 year olds are at an 84 times risk of myocarditis from the vaccine, but a 99 times risk of it from catching COVID then the vaccine is worth them having,
    Only if vaccinating decreases their subsequent risk of getting myocarditis if they are later infected sufficiently. This is why it's complicated.

but is that the case? I know there's a risk generally of it from COVID, but generally includes 80 year olds and we shouldn't even be factoring people my age into a decision on vaccinating kids, let alone pensioners.
    Yes, as I said, I'm not sure and you'd need the paediatric specific data. There's some vague references I can find saying covid myocarditis is most common among the very young and very old but nothing worth hanging your hat on. I'd be surprised if it was so dramatically different from the adult data as to make it a no-brainer, but nobody should be relying on my hunches.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only if vaccinating decreases their subsequent risk of getting myocarditis if they are later infected sufficiently. This is why it's complicated.
    If it doesn't reduce the risk that'd be more reason to be hesitant about vaccinating your kid, which surely is the position you'd start from if they're 84 times more likely to develop myocarditis if vaccinated.

Yes, as I said, I'm not sure and you'd need the paediatric specific data. There's some vague references I can find saying covid myocarditis is most common among the very young and very old but nothing worth hanging your hat on. I'd be surprised if it was so dramatically different from the adult data as to make it a no-brainer, but nobody should be relying on my hunches.
    Given we know COVID is dramatically different in terms of overall impact in kids vs. adults over 40 wouldn't it be likely specific impacts are lessened too?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me it comes down to who benefits. If my kids benefit from a vaccine (Measles, TB, Flu, etc.) then they'll have it. If they don't benefit from it, and are potentially at greater risk from the vaccine than the disease, but society benefits... well shucks, looks like society can sit on my midget head and spin. Pensioners first please.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it doesn't reduce the risk that'd be more reason to be hesitant about vaccinating your kid,
    Yes I know. I'm pointing out/acknowledging there's complexity from both sides of the argument.

Given we know COVID is dramatically different in terms of overall impact in kids vs. adults over 40 wouldn't it be likely specific impacts are lessened too?
    Not necessarily. It would sound equally logical to say that if the vaccine confers a higher risk of myocarditis to children than adults then wouldn't it be likely that the infection also confers a higher risk of myocarditis to kids than adults.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shut up and get boosted, you soft shites.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...lifted-england

They're still at it

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You'd genuinely be better served listening to me when the next variant of concern turns up rather than some of these charlatans.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been thinking (this is only day 2 of isolation, so still plenty more to do) about the relationship between covid and the law. Yesterday I was mildly ill with it, today all my symptoms are well on the retreat and I imagine that by tomorrow they'll be gone. If this was one of the many such illnesses I've had in my life, I would have been out for a short walk tomorrow for some fresh air and to gather strength before returning to the office on Monday, maybe even pop into the shop for a couple of bits.

However, with covid all of the above is not just warned against, but ILLEGAL, and I'm not allowed to leave my two rooms for any reason until Wednesday morning. We really need to redefine that set of relationships pretty soon, because it's quite absurd.

Deepti would tell me I was being SELFISH to want to go for a walk, but I'm afraid, Deepti, that's just life.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, experiencing the virus seems to lead to a certain enlightenment that many find hard to achieve in the face of the media narrative.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I've been thinking (this is only day 2 of isolation, so still plenty more to do) about the relationship between covid and the law. Yesterday I was mildly ill with it, today all my symptoms are well on the retreat and I imagine that by tomorrow they'll be gone. If this was one of the many such illnesses I've had in my life, I would have been out for a short walk tomorrow for some fresh air and to gather strength before returning to the office on Monday, maybe even pop into the shop for a couple of bits.

However, with covid all of the above is not just warned against, but ILLEGAL, and I'm not allowed to leave my two rooms for any reason until Wednesday morning. We really need to redefine that set of relationships pretty soon, because it's quite absurd.

Deepti would tell me I was being SELFISH to want to go for a walk, but I'm afraid, Deepti, that's just life.
    I said this to the wife when we had it a couple of weeks ago. We wouldn't have even broke stride for it had that 2nd red line not appeared. It was absolutely mental that it lead to atleast one of us not being able to leave the house, without breaking the law, for nearly a whole month.

I fucked it off in the end and went for a drive. Say it's for your "mental health" or something. Load of bollocks.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you trot out mental health you can get away with anything.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Yes, experiencing the virus seems to lead to a certain enlightenment that many find hard to achieve in the face of the media narrative.
    I get the whole "it's nothing for you, but it could kill the vulnerable!!!!" argument, but there are fucking thousands of viruses and bacteria that kill the vulnerable. There's only one we do this for.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Especially now if you look at the tweet I posted the other day. COVID death rate is down to around 1.5x that of flu now, so we’re getting into territory where if you continue to justify isolation for COVID then logically you’d need to isolate for flu. The arguments are becoming less rational every day.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. Our numbers are just collapsing now with 2000 empty hospital beds week on week. We've got 2 in intensive care for the whole county. Ending isolation might bring the numbers up but it really has to rocket to influence the hospitals.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imagine STILL knowing about occupied beds in hospitals.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    We've got 2 in intensive care for the whole county.
    Last time I saw it on the news we still has a couple of hundred dying a day. How can we only have 2 in intensive care?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not everyone is admitted to intensive care?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    200 dying a day and only 2 make it to ICU? Are the NHS just not bothering to save people anymore then? Another e-victory for Lewis.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're probably all being hit by buses.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shinners might mean two a day being admitted to ICU? Last count I think was 384 on ventilation and that’s coming down rapidly. A lot of deaths these days are incidental (positive test but other contributors to death) because excess deaths aren’t really above the baseline.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enough optimism. When's the next variant coming to town?

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was only thinking yesterday that I must get myself to a pub before the next one rolls in.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Especially now if you look at the tweet I posted the other day. COVID death rate is down to around 1.5x that of flu now, so we’re getting into territory where if you continue to justify isolation for COVID then logically you’d need to isolate for flu. The arguments are becoming less rational every day.
    Deepti and her ilk aren't so tone deaf that they haven't realised this and have therefore chucked flu into the mix of viruses "we should be doing more about".

We need to be looking at cars while we're at it, they're fucking dangerous.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are. Ban them.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shinners might mean two a day being admitted to ICU? Last count I think was 384 on ventilation and that’s coming down rapidly. A lot of deaths these days are incidental (positive test but other contributors to death) because excess deaths aren’t really above the baseline.
    Nope. County Durham and Darlington NHS trust. 2 total.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/deta...dation%20Trust

London accounts for over a third of England's ICU patients.
    Last edited by Shindig; 13-02-2022 at 11:46 AM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well they're not getting any of my Easter Eggs this year.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    Nope. County Durham and Darlington NHS trust. 2 total.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/deta...dation%20Trust

London accounts for over a third of England's ICU patients.
    Sorry I thought you meant national. I can't read.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also read it as country.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-60362529

Just full on noise them to death.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what a country.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still testing positive. Much longer in solitary confinement and I'm going to stray deep into heads have gone territory I reckon. Brain is like a foggy mess.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just go for a walk.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get in your racing seat and go for a drive.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've probably got it again () or perhaps the cold. We shall never know.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why, do colds put you in hospital too?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long until he's claiming that he's dying?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's hope it's not just claiming this time.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do feel like shit overall, but no worse than a cold. Still going about my daily business.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there some kind of Newsletter we can sign up for?

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a good job Jimmy's boss did make him go into the office for the last 2 years, you ain't ready for the truth we've all had to endure over the course of that period.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Get in your racing seat and go for a drive.
    To Barnard Castle.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I decided to actually read about these Canada/US protests... are they seriously protesting over the fact that a country is requiring a Covid vaccine to enter, or quarantine??

The fuck is wrong with these people? Why have grown-ass adults suddenly turned into 12 year year old kids having a tantrum?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because it's not an organic protest and funded by those with an interest in destabilising both nations.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arne View Post
    I decided to actually read about these Canada/US protests... are they seriously protesting over the fact that a country is requiring a Covid vaccine to enter, or quarantine??

The fuck is wrong with these people? Why have grown-ass adults suddenly turned into 12 year year old kids having a tantrum?
    Are they the problem? I am triple vaccinated. So is my wife. So is my next door neighbour. Still caught Covid.

I think it's pretty clear now that the vaccines absolutely do not stop you from catching - and spreading - Covid. So what is the point in banning the unvaccinated? It's just punishing them for not doing what they're told, isn't it? It serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever.