Page 56 of 581 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106156556 ... LastLast
Results 2,751 to 2,800 of 29008

Thread: Coronavirus Death Thread

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruhnaldo View Post
    Basically they need nannies otherwise the economy is gonna collapse is all I got outta this
    Well it's basic services also. I have colleagues at work who wouldn't be able come in without the schools looking after their kids.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this just herd immunity on the sly?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give or take, about 90% of workers are essential in some way or other.

That's how society works.

We've shut the schools because testing has gone to shit (we'll get you the results back in about a week, lol, thanks UK lab), Jersey has community transmission and we're bound to follow suit. Bring forth the cull. There is some hope that the schools will reopen after Easter if there is no 'community seeding'. It's going to be a long month.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    shit, northeast of the island I mean. Cabin fever has the directions fucked up.
    To be fair, they do:

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I don't want her anywhere near a hospital while we are at the peak of this.
    The parents of some of the kids we're seeing really need to get their head around this. They are bringing in kids with a sniffle, who they definitely would normally have kept at home, "in case it's corona". I do understand people losing their sense of logic when it comes to panicking about their kids, but there are like 20 reasons this is a bad thing to do.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Herd immunity is an inevitable outcome rather than an aim. Most of us are going to get it anyway over the next couple of years so it will come anyway. And once it does it won't spread so well. Shielding the old and vulnerable from it and letting the rest of us get on to some extent isn't the worst idea. The problem is this first wave where there's no immunity at all so high proportions end up needing hospital care at once which will overwhelm the system. Each wave should have a lower and less severe peak after this one.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And it takes forever.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There will come a point when we will need to just start again and carry on. The world can't take two years of shutdown to keep a slice of the old and infirm alive a little longer. It will end up affecting the rest far worse than it affects people who die/are seriously ill from the virus.

It can take a few months of shutdown to restrict the horror of the initial peak, but that's it.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

/

Actually saw that on the news last night. People are fucking stupid.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    And it takes forever.
    Couple of years, they reckon. Which, as Jim says, isn't a tolerable period of shut down.

They're obviously aiming to push on until early summer before they start gradually opening stuff up again. Hopefully by then we're able to test for who has it and who has had it, which means we'll never have to shut down in quite the same way again.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I've been off work on regular, annual leave this week but they just rung me and told me that I don't have to come back next week if I don't want to because, as a diabetic, I fall into the same "at-risk" group as the pregnant ladies and whatnot, who have all been sent home.

It's a bit of a weird one because my diabetes is a strange, genetic case (it's a very rare kind of it, basically a genetic anomaly in the family that always made me likely to contract it as a young adult) and, other than taking a couple of tablets twice a day, I'm very fit and healthy and wouldn't consider myself at-risk in the slightest. I can't do my job from home either, so I'm essentially being offered an indefinite, paid holiday that I know most of my colleagues (many of whom are obviously my friends) aren't eligible for.

Because they apparently aren't enforcing this either, it's pretty much my own call to make, which makes things a bit awkward. As much as I know I should avoid other people as much as possible and jump at the chance I also know that I would feel guilty about not turning up when I feel fine, purely because I know a lot people will be doing just that. Which is stupid, I know. But true.

I believe quite a few people are self-isolating this week anyway. So I'm hoping, combined with the people who will presumably be pulling out over the next couple of days to look after their kids now the schools are shutting, that they will just make the decision to close the office down for a bit and save me a bit of an awkward decision to make.
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    Take it and don't feel guilty. Whether or not you're usually well, the fact you have any type of diabetes means you will be more vulnerable to a greater or lesser extent. It's just not worth the risk.
    Well, that escalated quickly.

They called this morning and told me they've decided I can't come back to work for twelve weeks.

That's paid too, but with the expectation I use two weeks annual leave. I have pretty much two weeks annual leave already booked during that period anyway, to be honest. At least it took it out of my hands, I suppose. I'm going to be climbing the fucking walls though.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazon are looking for delivery drivers.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    Amazon are looking for delivery drivers.

I believe the Coop round the corner are taking on too. Could be coining it here.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, that escalated quickly.

They called this morning and told me they've decided I can't come back to work for twelve weeks.

That's paid too, but with the expectation I use two weeks annual leave. I have pretty much two weeks annual leave already booked during that period anyway, to be honest. At least it took it out of my hands, I suppose. I'm going to be climbing the fucking walls though.
    Welcome to my life. I'm already bored by the end of week one. I've got leave booked in June as well and I don't want them asking me to cancel that. By the time I come back, the leave sheet will be packed with other returnees. I'll be outside the window to sell any remaining leave so I'll have to see if I can carry a week across for next year.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe the Coop round the corner are taking on too. Could be coining it here.
    To be honest if I was off work but confined mostly to the house for that long I think I'd genuinely consider running deliveries. Stir crazy wouldn't begin to cover it.

I think I read somewhere Co-Op have created a few thousand jobs to get people doing this which is pretty good.

Them and Home Bargains donning it so far.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've taken to streaming more and there's some online courses at work I can take. I've made a decision not to shop again until I'm absolutely out of stuff. Could be a disaster but I've got plenty in now.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The supermarket supply chains really should recover pretty soon as this level of demand cannot continue for long. That's another reason why the government need to have it in people's minds that there will be an end date.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    To be honest if I was off work but confined mostly to the house for that long I think I'd genuinely consider running deliveries. Stir crazy wouldn't begin to cover it.

I think I read somewhere Co-Op have created a few thousand jobs to get people doing this which is pretty good.

Them and Home Bargains donning it so far.
    Yeah I'm actually kind of glad my job means I'm staying at work. I'd go nuts at home for that long.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post

Special Dom.
    Badly drawn boy isnt looking well

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    It will need to be enforced. I'm meant to be seeing my parents tonight (at their home, 2 miles from mine). They are healthy and mid 60s so not a huge at risk category. They think me coming is no big deal but I think it is. I don't know. It's terrifying, not helped by the business-as-usual attitude at work.
    I'm in a similar situation, parents in their 70s but otherwise healthy and they are taking the right sort of precautions so I'm not overly concerned for them.

The general situation needs more stringent measures and I'm really hoping they're just waiting to time it properly. The government needs to guarantee wages, or a least a decent proportion, and force places to shut for a month or two.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    We haven't closed the schools:
    We were expecting well over half of our kids in,
    might be about 70%.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PM Sincere for Ireland facts if you need to brush up.
    He clearly, does not have a clue.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -james- View Post
    Not having to listen to Michael Owen is a definitely one of the positive effects this shutdown has had on society.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to assume that post from Mickey is an attempt at satire.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Czechs leading the race currently for most cases without a death. Best healthcare system in the world

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...pital-11960597

People need to see that. Everyone needs to see it.

Some of those poor bastards don't look that old either.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PM Sincere for Ireland facts if you need to brush up.
    Mans needs facts.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Restriction to continue ‘most of a year’

Policies to limit the spread of coronavirus would need to be in place for "at least most of a year" to prevent intensive care units being overwhelmed, according to official scientific advice to the government.

The documents, prepared by the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage), said alternating between more and less strict measures could "plausibly be effective at keeping the number of critical care cases within capacity".

I've just pinched this off the BBC Live Feed. I'm assuming this is what Boris was trying to get at with his '12 weeks' shite yesterday. Behave yourselves and we will see our first loosening of some restrictions in the summer. I think the principle is right. People need hope and a date to aim for that doesn't sound like we're never leaving the house again is an important part of that. But that isn't what he said, the clumsy fuck.

I'm taking the bit about it being plausible to stay within ICU capacity as a positive. That would mean far fewer deaths even in the most vulnerable group. Probably especially in that group. That needs to be used as the message. "You're going to kill your grandparents you twats and if you don't sort yourselves out we'll force you anyway" would be quite a strong message.
    Last edited by Lee; 20-03-2020 at 01:09 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post

/

Actually saw that on the news last night. People are fucking stupid.
    I saw that. Actually belly laughed. The angry Indian woman was good value as well.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dropped into Tesco earlier, and the only bread they had left was burger buns. Nothing else. Just seeded burger buns. If you're that desperate for bread, why would you turn your nose up at burger buns which are a much better substitute for 'normal bread' than some of the shit that was all gone?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is going to be an extended period of fucking misery and I'm not sure the population is actually going to stand for it even for many weeks. There are no bombs falling to scare people, just reports of death, and not even in the war did they stop the basic tenets of human coexistence.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got to get it in perspective, really. I mean it's shit, but a bomb isn't going to fall on my house.

In terms of normal life, what do I actually do? Go to work every day and go back home. See my mum and dad probably once a week. Watch football. Have some holidays. Work will be mostly from home for a while now. Not seeing mum and dad in person is probably the hardest bit but we're managing to substitute that with phone/video calls. Football is a hobby which can be replaced for a while by reading more, going for walks or whatever. Maybe I'll have to get into computer games. Holidays will just have to be done differently and largely in the UK unless some foreign travel can be allowed during any of the more 'open' periods.

These obviously aren't choices I'd have made without this happening but life can still be good. It's probably going to be a good lesson in not taking stuff and people for granted.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's sitting inside, it's not that hard to do.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    It's sitting inside, it's not that hard to do.
    It's not even as bad as that. We can go out and see things/places. We just shouldn't be getting too close to other people for a while. The shitty thing is that it includes people we like and care about. But then that's the reason to stay away.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed. It really isn't.

It's going to get much worse when relatives, co-workers etc. are affected, but nowhere near as bad as it could be for others if your only job is "stay inside".

That said, and like I said yesterday. It's grim as fuck and the ramifications will last for years. Whichever way you look at it.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Going for walks' won't be happening. Maybe it's just because I feel like we're in a weird phoney war period at the moment in which nobody seems to be taking it remotely seriously (and in which I am still going to the office each day and seeing them not take it seriously), but I'm so scared of being locked down for a year.

I have the longest attention span in the world too. Boredom won't be the main issue. There will be psychological effects on everyone that have probably never even been wargamed.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's as of today, when we're still not doing half the stuff you mongols have been calling for all week. Let us know how easy it is when you're literally not allowed out.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    That's as of today, when we're still not doing half the stuff you mongols have been calling for all week. Let us know how easy it is when you're literally not allowed out.
    Ok, it'll be difficult, particularly the longer it goes on, but compared to what other people will be dealing with it'll be a walk in the park, albeit a walk with some minor psychological consequences.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    'Going for walks' won't be happening. Maybe it's just because I feel like we're in a weird phoney war period at the moment in which nobody seems to be taking it remotely seriously (and in which I am still going to the office each day and seeing them not take it seriously), but I'm so scared of being locked down for a year.

I have the longest attention span in the world too. Boredom won't be the main issue. There will be psychological effects on everyone that have probably never even been wargamed.
    It isn't going to be full lockdown for a year, though. Restrictions will be lifted at different times in different places. Places where people live in large numbers and on top of one another are going to be most fucked. My experience is that people are taking it pretty seriously. How long that will last I don't know. But all my friends and relatives are mostly staying in, and all have cancelled anything involving numbers of people. Work has been the most retarded place of all and that will be a problem for a lot of people who will be forced into spending time with others when it isn't necessary.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I've found out so far during this (particularly in the office context) is who is an upstanding human being and who is a fucking cowardly pipsqueak. These things aren't always obvious in normal times but they are now.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It struck me earlier that when you actually compare what the government is going to potentially end up spending against the lives lost under various worst case scenarios, each of those lives is effectively costing millions of pounds. What is the threshold that Our NHS usually tells people to go off and die when they want an expensive, low-volume treatment out of it?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, Isolation Shindig is only going to last another week. I've taken the opportunity to come back to work as part of a skeleton crew. They can only spring for five days emergency leave so fuck it.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wife's parents are literally just carrying on as normal, going out for coffee, food, etc every day. And just lying to my wife about it when she asks.

They're both in their late 60s, and her mum has dementia and diabetes. I reckon her dad's actively trying to get her infected.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The guys in the whatsapp group are becoming dull af so I've had to make a comeback. All Kiko can talk about is his office and GS keeps chatting shit about Lewis. I can't take it any more.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably need to get out more

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went out for the first time since the full lockdown (France) and I have to say it felt super weird to have to carry a form with my data and the reason why I am out.

That said, there were people out and about although it felt more like a Sunday than a weekday.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still busy in my local suburb. Though residentially it's EXTREMELY quiet, which is weird. I for one welcome our new pigeon overlords.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still couldn't get into town to judge it (the stab tent is still up) but the rail station platform was quiet. The buses I saw coming from Bishop Aukland were empty.