37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellberg View Post
    My oven's packed in. Just ordered an element for collection tomorrow at Currys. Could really do with that still being open. No oven during any potential lockdown =
    Karma for all that shorting business. 😉

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    Michel Barnier has it.

69, too.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're going to hit 1,000 worldwide deaths in one day from this today, possibly by some margin.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3 more deaths in Scotland. 6 now.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been off work on regular, annual leave this week but they just rung me and told me that I don't have to come back next week if I don't want to because, as a diabetic, I fall into the same "at-risk" group as the pregnant ladies and whatnot, who have all been sent home.

It's a bit of a weird one because my diabetes is a strange, genetic case (it's a very rare kind of it, basically a genetic anomaly in the family that always made me likely to contract it as a young adult) and, other than taking a couple of tablets twice a day, I'm very fit and healthy and wouldn't consider myself at-risk in the slightest. I can't do my job from home either, so I'm essentially being offered an indefinite, paid holiday that I know most of my colleagues (many of whom are obviously my friends) aren't eligible for.

Because they apparently aren't enforcing this either, it's pretty much my own call to make, which makes things a bit awkward. As much as I know I should avoid other people as much as possible and jump at the chance I also know that I would feel guilty about not turning up when I feel fine, purely because I know a lot people will be doing just that. Which is stupid, I know. But true.

I believe quite a few people are self-isolating this week anyway. So I'm hoping, combined with the people who will presumably be pulling out over the next couple of days to look after their kids now the schools are shutting, that they will just make the decision to close the office down for a bit and save me a bit of an awkward decision to make.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have shut ourselves down indefinitely today, which kicks our job upgrades into the long grass yet a-fucking-gain.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, that walk felt good. Couldn't get into town because a stabbing took place this morning but one of the lasses I talked to was trying to get into London before that place shuts. Tesco has nowt apart from tinned fruit, easter eggs and cleaning stuff. I made it out with a couple of ready meals and a few Pot Noodles.

This is the thing that forces me vegetarian, isn't it?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to Morrisons on the way home because it's usually the quietest one, and other than some porridge and bread I could get everything I wanted. The only sausages left were the Heck chicken ones, and if you wanted steak you were stuck with fillet; but I get them anyway so lol at plebs. Enjoy your bread and my porridge.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I've been off work on regular, annual leave this week but they just rung me and told me that I don't have to come back next week if I don't want to because, as a diabetic, I fall into the same "at-risk" group as the pregnant ladies and whatnot, who have all been sent home.

It's a bit of a weird one because my diabetes is a strange, genetic case (it's a very rare kind of it, basically a genetic anomaly in the family that always made me likely to contract it as a young adult) and, other than taking a couple of tablets twice a day, I'm very fit and healthy and wouldn't consider myself at-risk in the slightest. I can't do my job from home either, so I'm essentially being offered an indefinite, paid holiday that I know most of my colleagues (many of whom are obviously my friends) aren't eligible for.

Because they apparently aren't enforcing this either, it's pretty much my own call to make, which makes things a bit awkward. As much as I know I should avoid other people as much as possible and jump at the chance I also know that I would feel guilty about not turning up when I feel fine, purely because I know a lot people will be doing just that. Which is stupid, I know. But true.

I believe quite a few people are self-isolating this week anyway. So I'm hoping, combined with the people who will presumably be pulling out over the next couple of days to look after their kids now the schools are shutting, that they will just make the decision to close the office down for a bit and save me a bit of an awkward decision to make.
    Take it and don't feel guilty. Whether or not you're usually well, the fact you have any type of diabetes means you will be more vulnerable to a greater or lesser extent. It's just not worth the risk.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    We're going to hit 1,000 worldwide deaths in one day from this today, possibly by some margin.
    You're going to need Italy to go big again to hit that target, Spain have underperformed.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just heard one of the CEO/CFO guys talk about how we have one being tested in Room 11 in the ER.

I say it with specifics because my thought is if he was that specific about it they must already know.

At my mother's facility they also have one now that HAS tested positive.

I'm really worried for my mom tbh. Can someone tell me if this thing would go through like the vents? I know it's airborne and that sounds insane but I'd feel better knowing she's not sitting in her office like a death trap.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently there's 'zero prospect' of a lockdown of London meaning there'd be limits on travel in and out of it.

What's the fucking point then?

All the younger people who live there will just end up migrating back to their parents' houses taking the thing all over the fucking country.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    You're going to need Italy to go big again to hit that target, Spain have underperformed.
    That's some good news then.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our MD just sent an email round saying that it's now casual attire until further notice. That should help protect the staff at least, this virus is famously reluctant to infect scruffy people.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruhnaldo View Post
    I just heard one of the CEO/CFO guys talk about how we have one being tested in Room 11 in the ER.

I say it with specifics because my thought is if he was that specific about it they must already know.

At my mother's facility they also have one now that HAS tested positive.

I'm really worried for my mom tbh. Can someone tell me if this thing would go through like the vents? I know it's airborne and that sounds insane but I'd feel better knowing she's not sitting in her office like a death trap.
    It's not exactly airborne in the way measles and the likes are. It only persists for a few seconds in the air before going down.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Our MD just sent an email round saying that it's now casual attire until further notice. That should help protect the staff at least, this virus is famously reluctant to infect scruffy people.
    /

We used to get this quite a lot at our place. Whenever any sort of remotely testing situation arose the response would be to relax the dress code, as if they were dealing with a gang of school-age kids for whom the prospect of "non-uniform day" would be some sort of exciting novelty. I always found it really patronising and ignored it. They've since abandoned the idea of a dress-code altogether, so now they've got nothing.

And I'm talking in the event of something like an extended period of heavy snow making it difficult to get to work here. Obviously it's absurd on a whole other level in this situation.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm no conspiracy theorist but I think Bob Iger might have developed the Coronavirus. Stepping down as CEO like a week before everything kicked off.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disney going tits up would probably destroy Florida's economy but fuck it

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Incredible.

How do you think things would be going if you were still working with the Koreans?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're all fucked.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A whole apartment block in District 2 had just been locked down due to a British pilot testing positive. That's the second apartment block in lockdown.

When we say lockdown.... Actual lockdown. Security outside the building refusing to allow anyone to leave for 14 days.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going up to my local shop tomorrow to buy a basketball and shoot 100 3 point shots a day and note how many I hit. I'm going absolutely mental.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right, for the last two days I've been dealing with various response meetings while trying to pull together a forecast of what this might do to our business, against some assumptions given by group about the impact on revenue.

Now, you might think that's the stereotypical money grabbing corporate approach, but far from it, every single conversation we've had has been with the objective of keeping employees safe, while keeping the business going, so that everyone has a job when this thing is over.

We as a business, due to the nature of what we do, are less exposed than other businesses and are in a good liquidity position, but that doesn't last forever.

The conclusion I've come to is that unless a vaccine is found, tested and administered successfully, faster that at any point in all of human history, this is going to take society, as we know it, down. Down. Dead. Finished.

Unemployment will be at 90%, food will be in very short supply, money will be worthless and law and order will be gone, which will kill many more people than the actual pandemic itself.

This is an existential crisis and one that is only solved by either a quick vaccine, social distancing (on a scale that a population that aren't even taking this seriously cannot pull off) or by doing something utterly unpalatable.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a good idea but what if there's coronas on the court like how long does it stay on a surface like what happens if i dribble the ball into some coronas

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interest rates down to 0.1%

Can they go lower? I seem to remember there was a real chance of it happening in 2008. What would it mean for the economy if they went in to negative percentages?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    29 new deaths in the UK today. Aged 47-96. 17 of them in London.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arne View Post
    That's low. Fingers crossed harder than they ever have been before.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post

Can they go lower? I seem to remember there was a real chance of it happening in 2008. What would it mean for the economy if they went in to negative percentages?
    It's the lowest level in history. I guess you could go to zero.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Incredible.

How do you think things would be going if you were still working with the Koreans?
    No idea but I'm sure facemasks would be involved.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right, for the last two days I've been dealing with various response meetings while trying to pull together a forecast of what this might do to our business, against some assumptions given by group about the impact on revenue.

Now, you might think that's the stereotypical money grabbing corporate approach, but far from it, every single conversation we've had has been with the objective of keeping employees safe, while keeping the business going, so that everyone has a job when this thing is over.

We as a business, due to the nature of what we do, are less exposed than other businesses and are in a good liquidity position, but that doesn't last forever.

The conclusion I've come to is that unless a vaccine is found, tested and administered successfully, faster that at any point in all of human history, this is going to take society, as we know it, down. Down. Dead. Finished.

Unemployment will be at 90%, food will be in very short supply, money will be worthless and law and order will be gone, which will kill many more people than the actual pandemic itself.

This is an existential crisis and one that is only solved by either a quick vaccine, social distancing (on a scale that a population that aren't even taking this seriously cannot pull off) or by doing something utterly unpalatable.
    If it did get to that point we would regret not just letting it kill a few hundred thousand people.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, there would come a point where the oldies have to go.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw it put neatly on Twitter the other day along the lines of testing how far you can push ninety-nine per cent of people to save the remaining one per cent. If the circumstances outlined in Operation Yevrahtossa looked like coming to pass you would basically have to release all constraints and just let people chance their own health until such time as it just fucks off.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the 1% were kids it would be a tougher proposition, but these are the nearly-dead too.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol some clown wanted a face to face meeting tomorrow for his 6 user business, and our MD chastised us for not accepting it. Fucking cunt, can't wait to hand in my notice.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The intended effect would be to 'super-stimulate' spending - practically it means that each individual institution is being charged to store money at the BoE, and in a perfect world that charge is passed down to consumers (so that, instead of paying you some marginal % on your deposits, they charge you for storage). The idea is to 1) get you the consumer to spend more, and 2) to get banks to make more loans so that companies can spend on projects, because at negative rates projects look more profitable (i.e., if you're literally losing money by just holding it, you might take a punt on some project that you wouldn't have otherwise).

I suspect that in reality the effect will be tepid, because there are huge structural barriers limiting spending/new project development at the personal and corporate level (i.e., social distancing, volatility, uncertainty). But it really is an open question. Not that this would be a palatable option in the current climate, but companies theoretically could just pour some of their cash reserves into buybacks (the traditional alternative to investing in new projects) if they are too uncertain to make investments at this stage...

EDIT: Keep in mind that I'm not a central bank economist, I'm Yevrah...
    Last edited by Luca; 19-03-2020 at 03:39 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is utterly terrifying. Who do you work for?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fakecab.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we're all doomed I think he should tell us about that sitcom idea he had.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had another little girl today. Sounds like it was great timing, they’ve just banned partners from the wards about 2 hours after we came out of theatre.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    If it did get to that point we would regret not just letting it kill a few hundred thousand people.
    That's what I meant about doing something utterly unpalatable, there's a very real possibility we're ultimately going to have to.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John Lewis have just cancelled all work/visits to anyone's home, feels like they've been tipped off to me.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is utterly terrifying. Who do you work for?
    A group of Builder's Merchants, but that's not really the important bit. Nobody can survive this for a sustained period of time, other than those businesses that offer a service that would thrive in this environment, but even they won't if money doesn't matter anymore.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arne View Post
    That's low. Fingers crossed harder than they ever have been before.
    Actually, this is dreadful news. As I'm now hearing, anecdotally at any rate, that some people think we've peaked as a result.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon the virus has seen what it's up against in Britain and seen its arse. What a cowardly little cunt weed.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is like FM for Team Panic:

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know how Madagascar is doing, btw?

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Going up to my local shop tomorrow to buy a basketball and shoot 100 3 point shots a day and note how many I hit. I'm going absolutely mental.
    Every shop that could potentially sell a basketball is shut. I'm about 72 hours from running through the streets windmilling my penis at passers by.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    Does anyone know how Madagascar is doing, btw?
    No confirmed cases and they turned away a cruise ship. They're old hands at this lark.