0 Thread(s)
    Open the clubs.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Toon View Post
    I'm just waiting to hear what Igor pretends he says.
    Cunt for you you wank.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish they'd just say no foreign travel till next year or something to stop people whining about their summer holidays abroad.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boyd, lad, I know you're earning far below your Oxford VaccineDegree but your financial problems are your own.

Open the Airport Lounges.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Community transmission again 1 person has been in the community for a week and has been everywhere.

3 day snap lockdown surely.

If we dodge more than a handful of cases the hot climate has saved us again maybe?
    Last edited by Queenslander; 26-03-2021 at 01:52 AM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56529712

But if cases continue to rise, does this matter? After all, 99% of Covid deaths have been in the groups now vaccinated.

The link between infections and serious illness or death has been "severely weakened", says diseases expert Prof Mark Woolhouse, of Edinburgh University.

But if infection levels rise high enough the virus "will find those" who are unvaccinated and those for whom the vaccine hasn't worked, he says.
    Fuck the fuck off.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The messaging around all this is disastrously irresponsible. If there is a 'third wave', which is not by any means certain, it will not at all resemble the first two waves, because the vast majority will have been vaccinated. And the third wave will not arrive as a result of outdoor fucking mixing, it will arrive some time after the end when social distancing goes.

Tom Newton Dunn tweeted something yesterday about CASES RISING based on Thurs being higher than Weds, Weds higher than Tues etc. Public alarm caused by someone who is too concerned by the sound of his own voice and doesn't understand numbers. Political journalists really desperately need to be taken off the covid beat, but I've been saying that for over a year.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just ridiculous. People are going to continue dying of Covid. Probably forever. Or, atleast until the virus decides to water its self down a bit. Flu kills every year. Meningitis kills every year. Shit happens.

All you can do is protect the most vulnerable as best you can. Which we now have. Any attempt to keep restrictions in place because "the vaccine doesn't work 100% of the time" is mental and should see the individual out of the job if not in the gallows.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hang on and before I go to town on that, aren't the vaccines 100% effective against severe disease?

I only really realised this fully yesterday on the back of this article:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56521166

Why is this not being shouted from the rooftops?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was the trending item for most of yesterday on Twitter.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    It was the trending item for most of yesterday on Twitter.
    The 100% effectiveness against severe disease? If so, someone on here mentioned it ages ago and it went in one ear and out the other. How long have we known this and why on earth is it not mentioned when we discuss relaxing restrictions, let alone in an article talking about a third wave?

I mean, it even says this:

While the vaccines are good - they significantly reduce the risk of falling ill and for those who do develop symptoms there is a strong likelihood it will be a fairly mild cough, fever or short period of breathlessness - they are not 100% perfect.
    So, are they or are they not 100% effective against severe disease? If they're not then fine, but what the fuck has happened there for that mistruth to get out? If they are then are we seriously talking about keeping some form of restriction going to stop people getting a mild or moderate form of this virus? Fucking really?

I spent a year of my life indoors to stop people dying, I'm fucked if I'm doing it any longer to stop people getting a mild or moderate illness.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You won't be either. What they're doing at the moment, feeding all this utter bullshit into the press, is just desperately trying to stop slippage and keep people adhering to the restrictions for a little while longer.

Press of course more than happy to oblige, rather than seeking the truth, because they are on their knees as an industry and sensational headlines are the only thing keeping it from total collapse.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are 100% effective at preventing serious disease but "only" 80something% effective at preventing the spread.

Some vaccinated people will catch Covid and feel a bit poorly, basically.

We are still fixating on Case numbers.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That article even talks about 30,000 dead in a third wave, citing this modelling.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...strictions.pdf

If it's 100% effective against severe disease (I appreciate not everyone has been/will be vaccinated), but is this just a lie? The workings on page 12 and 13 don't take into account at all a 100% effectiveness? They've just used the flat % of reduction in risk of any form of disease.

I'm fucking fuming.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Warwick models use unbelievably pessimistic assumptions (as can be seen on page 3 of that pdf), but it's all red meat to the zero covid lot, who admittedly are on life support now but some attempting to cling on.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    They are 100% effective at preventing serious disease but "only" 80something% effective at preventing the spread.

Some vaccinated people will catch Covid and feel a bit poorly, basically.
    Well quite, that's what I said. So that entire article is based on a lie, or at best an omission of a crucial piece of information.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    The Warwick models use unbelievably pessimistic assumptions (as can be seen in that pdf), but it's all red meat to the zero covid lot, who admittedly are on life support now but some attempting to cling on.
    There's pessimistic and there's factually incorrect assumptions. The latter just isn't on.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Astrazeneca published the news about 100% effectiveness against severe disease on 3rd February, over 7 fucking weeks ago.

https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-ce...ii-trials.html

That should have been the Bill Pullman speech moment, but instead it was barely mentioned.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's pretty standard scientific caution. It's like when you might make a sales forecast for the year, you wouldn't use the maximum figure that you think you might achieve, you'd use a moderate figure that you're pretty sure you'll achieve and then treat it as a bonus when you exceed it.

The problem is that the stakes involved here involve the granting of basic human liberty, which are somewhat higher stakes than modellers are used to working with.

The constant media/political barrage against AZ is pretty murky, in my view - note that it's the only vaccine not being made for profit.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    It's pretty standard scientific caution. It's like when you might make a sales forecast for the year, you wouldn't use the maximum figure that you think you might achieve, you'd use a moderate figure that you're pretty sure you'll achieve and then treat it as a bonus when you exceed it.

The problem is that the stakes involved here involve the granting of basic human liberty, which are somewhat higher stakes than modellers are used to working with.

The constant media/political barrage against AZ is pretty murky, in my view - note that it's the only vaccine not being made for profit.
    Astrazeneca wouldn't have issued a press release saying it was 100% effective against severe disease if it wasn't, not a chance in hell. If I'm presenting a forecast and someone was naive enough to ask me if it was 100% accurate I'd say "absolutely not", then internally lol myself through the rest of the slot.

Warrick using people x % chance of getting ill having been vaccinated = cases x % chance of dying = deaths is just wrong. It should have been % of people not vaccinated in each risk group x % chance of catching it x % chance of dying = deaths. But I guess it is SCIENCE, so free passes all round.

Honestly, no other walk of life gets to get away with this shit so freely.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gets away with what?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The case rise in children's especially dumb because this is the first time we've specifically targeted them in testing. Of course it's going to turn more cases up.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Gets away with what?
    Publishing factually incorrect wank.

Hell, Biden comes out and says no one is doing what the US are doing when it comes to vaccinations and you get a whole article on whether that's true or not.

30,000 dead? Yeah, we'll go with that.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I was just checking you didn't mean large-scale fibbing in general.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're losing the plot Yev.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's in full YevRage but he's not wrong.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    You're losing the plot Yev.
    I'm absolutely not and you're a prime example of the mental block there is when it comes to this stuff. Very intelligent bloke, happy to think for himself the rest of the time, but seemingly takes these things unquestioningly.

It's worrying, because throughout history people have used good things for bad when left unchecked. Science on the whole is a wonderful, wonderful thing, but that should never mean it's just accepted, because, well, experts innit.

That paper is fundamentally wrong, but there it is, being cited unquestionably in a BBC article about what impact a third wave might have. If it was a stand alone example then fine, but there's been a myriad of examples over the last 6 months. People take what anyone connected with science says in better faith than anything from any other walk of life, no matter how much horseshit it's caked in. It's moronic.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Okay, I was just checking you didn't mean large-scale fibbing in general.
    No, not that bad or anything like it really.

But I've lost count of the number of rent-a-gob scientists spouting crap that's then been recycled onto the BBC's front page as opinion-fact over the last few months. There was one I dissected and completely pwned just the other day.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know they're not the only ones at it but expecting journalistic integrity out of the BBC has long since been questionable, at best.

Other than for football transfers obviously, where it's not official until they've written about it.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think moaning about the scientists is a bit daft when they're either being filtered by government or press narratives. On top of that, science is still travelling into uncharted waters on this. They know more about this virus than they used to but, when asked 'How bad could it get?' all they can do is speculate.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    I think moaning about the scientists is a bit daft when they're either being filtered by government or press narratives. On top of that, science is still travelling into uncharted waters on this. They know more about this virus than they used to but, when asked 'How bad could it get?' all they can do is speculate.
    They're making predictions on future deaths without factoring in the 100% effective vaccine that half the population have had. How's that for "a bit daft"?

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol @ this 'VACCINE PASSPORT APP' being mooted. What the fuck sort of world is this where people actually want it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're all in it together (until the Boomers are covered then fuck you all).

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're making predictions on future deaths without factoring in the 100% effective vaccine that half the population have had. How's that for "a bit daft"?
    When's the last time this virus wasn't being contained by social distancing and stay at home orders? We've not let the virus fly like Brazil or the US have. That's the kind of data they're missing. As for the severe disease number, some of them will still wind up in hospital, on top of whoever isn't vaccinated. Predictions around this are wank, though. The numbers are wildly off because the situation to brew them didn't arrive. So they're either massively under/over estimated. "We'd be lucky to get away with 20,000" became 4,000 a day and now it's 30,000.

It'll be 10,000 because people are old and the ones that aren't are fat.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When's the last time this virus wasn't being contained by social distancing and stay at home orders? We've not let the virus fly like Brazil or the US have. That's the kind of data they're missing. As for the severe disease number, some of them will still wind up in hospital, on top of whoever isn't vaccinated. Predictions around this are wank, though. The numbers are wildly off because the situation to brew them didn't arrive. So they're either massively under/over estimated. "We'd be lucky to get away with 20,000" became 4,000 a day and now it's 30,000.

It'll be 10,000 because people are old and the ones that aren't are fat.
    Even if I grant all of that, ignoring the impact of a vaccine is absolute nonsense. It's like predicting car crash deaths without factoring in Airbags and Seatbelts. It's pointless even making the predictions.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're probably also factoring in if lockdown was to end this very second. Which would be like asking people to start their engines and fuck the traffic lights and speed limit right off.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we removed all restrictions this second things would be mostly fine.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Less than two weeks until the barbers open

Pubs in a month

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main thing is we keep the saunas closed for the rest of the year. Open everything else.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is another prime example of the type of response I'm getting at.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All Queenslanders are getting kicked out of AFL grounds in Victoria and South Australia tonight over 1 case in Brisbane.

Last edited by Queenslander; 26-03-2021 at 11:26 AM.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're probably also factoring in if lockdown was to end this very second. Which would be like asking people to start their engines and fuck the traffic lights and speed limit right off.
    What utter nonsense.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sauna dream is fucking delayed till May but daylight in 2 days, football in 3 and in 2 weeks...

Toggle Spoiler

The 8th wonder of the world

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc View Post
    What utter nonsense.
    Surprisingly common though. I'm just off the phone with a 30 something that was calling our impending freedom "disgusting" and predicting 1000 deaths a day by June.

People are determined to ignore the vaccines and I really don't know why.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    The sauna dream is fucking delayed till May but daylight in 2 days, football in 3 and in 2 weeks...

Toggle Spoiler

The 8th wonder of the world
    Genuine emotions are flowing over the idea of a beer and a burger meal deal right now.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cricket restarts on Monday and we're still waiting on official regulation as to whether we can have 6, 8 or unlimited people in a single net lane, and to whether we can use two net lanes next to each other or have to leave one empty.

I've forgotten what life was like before you had to wade through all this shit. When you could just do what you wanted. Walk into a pub and walk out again, without having pre-booked.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    I'm absolutely not and you're a prime example of the mental block there is when it comes to this stuff. Very intelligent bloke, happy to think for himself the rest of the time, but seemingly takes these things unquestioningly.

It's worrying, because throughout history people have used good things for bad when left unchecked. Science on the whole is a wonderful, wonderful thing, but that should never mean it's just accepted, because, well, experts innit.

That paper is fundamentally wrong, but there it is, being cited unquestionably in a BBC article about what impact a third wave might have. If it was a stand alone example then fine, but there's been a myriad of examples over the last 6 months. People take what anyone connected with science says in better faith than anything from any other walk of life, no matter how much horseshit it's caked in. It's moronic.
    I'm not consuming it which is probably the main difference between us. The only important thing at the moment is the current dates to ending lockdown. The rest is just noise.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surprisingly common though. I'm just off the phone with a 30 something that was calling our impending freedom "disgusting" and predicting 1000 deaths a day by June.

People are determined to ignore the vaccines and I really don't know why.