User Tag List

Page 359 of 581 FirstFirst ... 259309349357358359360361369409459 ... LastLast
Results 17,901 to 17,950 of 29008

Thread: Coronavirus Death Thread

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There will come a point, probably quite soon, when if all our vulnerable folks have been vaccinated we really should be sending some to the Irish, if the EU system has failed them.

The continent with all their fancy plants can sort themselves out.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aye, we've got 22 million, I think so we're a third done at this point. Maybe Israel can ship some of their excess Pfizers. Assuming they're really quick about it.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    Aye, we've got 22 million, I think so we're a third done at this point. Maybe Israel can ship some of their excess Pfizers. Assuming they're really quick about it.
    Is that our current stockpile? I was wondering what we might have in storage already in the country. Where did you get the figures from?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he meant 22m vulnerable/at risk folk.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. I have no idea of the stockpile but, if we're bothered about supplies, we won't have millions stuck in a warehouse.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought this EU shit was just funny, but now Sinn Fein have issued a statement condemning their actions I think it actually might be a gravely bad piece of long-term politics (for the EU).

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They didn't even tell the Irish they were doing it.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mental shit.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand it's a pandemic and the stakes are high ... but there's no way you can do this.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The video Wor Arlene released from her loft, in her STAUNCH/Eastern Suburbs colours, has Nick Griffin cooking show vibes.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They've BOTTLED it. They don't like it up 'em.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If AstraZeneca are supplying all these things at cost (as I believe they have said previously) what is it to them to tell the EU to go sit on it as regards this contract of theirs? Sorry, we can't deliver as per the agred schedule, please feel free to treat this as a material breach entitling you to rescind the contract. I'm sure it's more nuanced than that, but it just seems an extraordinarily strange move by the more dependent party in a relationship to go full nuclear in the way they seem to have.

They seem to be backtracking now. lol.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fact that they went over Ireland's heads to do it without considering the quite obvious ramifications shows they have completely lost their minds.

Not heard much from Our Nicola tonight.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pfizer, Moderna, Oxford-AstraZeneca
    If they give us something we will follow on

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't remember where I read it now but apparently the agreement between AstraZeneca and the EU contains some pretty flimsy language. Something to the effect of "we will endeavour to fulfil the amount purchased by the EU".

I'm not a lawyer (I'm Yevrah), but it sounds like they don't have a leg to stand on here.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure we have the same contract so that clause, whilst unhelpful to them, isn't really the issue - the issue is that they fucked up procurement, ending up months behind us due to being a bloc of 27 states where about 5 (2, really) call the shots. To paraphrase Kate Bingham, they weren't 'nimble' enough. Sometimes it helps to have numbers, but not this time, so they've been stung.

Even then, having got to this position, a rational body would just have sat calmly on whatever slow vaccine rate they can manage currently (whilst not great, it's also not too disastrous), probably given national governments more leeway on emergency procurement and deployment, and learned from what the UK has managed to do in terms of clearing regulation out the way and approving new vaccines. Their problem is that if the EU does not have pages and pages of tongue-twisting regulation it has nothing, and we are of course in a context where Brexit has just happened. While the national governments can be as pragmatic as they like about Brexit, the Commission is run by a load of zealots who desperately need the UK to look bad at this particular moment. Because we are suddenly looking quite good - at least on the major issue of the day, which is vaccines - everything in their zealot-brains is spiralling out of control and the Franco-Germans appear to have completely lost control of their emotions, which is one of the more remarkable things I've seen in politics.

It's easy to say 4.5 years on 'This is why I voted Leave', but it really, really is. I did think it would be 20 years to vindication rather than three weeks.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have a fuck tonne of home made vaccines. 17 or something they said on the news earlier. They're not all going to be ready to go, but some must be. Get testing. Get rolled out.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this EU bollocks going to fuck our supplies now?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    110 cases on day 2, 58 on day 3 and 34 yesterday. Over 4,000 tests completed and some like 10,000 F1-F4 traced . Oh, and 2 makeshift hospitals built in the affected city - in 48hrs. We fucking got this.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and I was due to fly to the epicentre (Quang Ninh) tomorrow for my first ever visit - the province has now been partially locked down. Lost 700,000đ in the hotel booking. Managed to change the flight to Hanoi.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is that mist?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Queenslander View Post
    What is that mist?
    Disinfectant, I guess.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've followed a similar trajectory from 4 unknowns last Saturday to 142 cases as of yesterday. Lockdown impact should filter in over the next week. Rumours abound as to the cause. Hopefully they can reverse engineer it to find a common source for everything (ie a breach in traveller quarantine) or we're going to be stuck with this shit for weeks if not months. As yet we haven't resorted to gassing the populace.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Presumably you still have things being shipped over, right? Food, post, etc. There's your source, surely?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arne View Post
    Disinfectant, I guess.
    It looks a bit how's ya father.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just seen Macrons comments. He's already the leader of one of the most Anti-Vaccine countries in the world. Why the fuck would you say that?

Obviously the answer is because he was stamping his tiny little feet at the time, but Jesus wept.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quasi-ineffective. What an odd thing to say. One thing I'm not really seeing yet is a discrepancy between over-65 case numbers and the rest. If the jab effect was working, I would've expected the gap in cases to widen in favour of less oldies catching it. Maybe it's like the Israelis and the effects are seen in hospital admissions, though.
    Last edited by Shindig; 30-01-2021 at 10:03 AM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Presumably you still have things being shipped over, right? Food, post, etc. There's your source, surely?
    Doubt it, for all the talk I'm not sure there's really much evidence of it transmitting on parcels and the like. It'll be some form of human-to-human transmission.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    Doubt it, for all the talk I'm not sure there's really much evidence of it transmitting on parcels and the like. It'll be some form of human-to-human transmission.
    Yeah, the people that bring the stuff over probably.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Airbourne in the air con for sure.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Yeah, the people that bring the stuff over probably.
    Most freight is container-based, so not much human contact in the chain, and anyone that actually works on the boats/planes is tested and PPE'd to within an inch of their lives.

Last time I think it leaked in through a critical worker (potentially with the added virulence of the new variant meaning their quarantine protocols weren't sufficient) but as that was an 'important person' it was sort of hushed up (all rumour of course). This time the finger seems to be pointing at a more proletarian source so if that's true I imagine they'll be going under the bus should there be any actual evidence.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the long term (say, six months' time) they are right, in that global 'normality' won't be back until everyone's been vaccinated, but the UK (and any similar country) will be far more concerned about being able to open up internally in the short run. The NGO nationless worldview has been shown to be a complete bust in this pandemic if it wasn't anyway. It's only the top tier of society that really benefits in a tangible way from mass travel and open borders.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, as long as we're allowed to resume some form of normality I would be cool with pausing our vaccines once everyone but the teachers has been vaccinated.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meanwhile, why have the left (by which I mean on this occasion the Labour party and that mad woman Sridhar who shills on science for Sturgeon) suddenly pivoted to 'Get the schools open now' ?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Borders CLOSED. Clubs OPEN.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Meanwhile, why have the left (by which I mean on this occasion the Labour party and that mad woman Sridhar who shills on science for Sturgeon) suddenly pivoted to 'Get the schools open now' ?
    The unions want their members vaccinated, and schools are the best entry point.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    44 new cases (up to 186) and now I have to isolate until Friday due to a fucking dance festival.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This could potentially open up the possibility of me not having to reject an invite

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    This could potentially open up the possibility of me not having to reject an invite
    You have the "Nah, I've had it anyway" card to play, which should be accepted widely by society. Plus, if you play it well you can laud it over people as ensuring the vaccines go to those most in need. #FreePalestine

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We still don't know how long these vaccines last, right? What's the play, keep pumping money into the vaccines at least once every year or actually start expanding our hospitals and graveyards?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at today's data, I'm starting to become quite confident that the vaccines are having a measurable effect in the UK. The rate of case decline has accelerated in the last week rather than bell curving. Hospitalisations are off the diving board as well rather than edging down.

I would expect some bullish news at some point this week from the Whitty / Vallance / Van Tam brains trust.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Western Australia has recorded its first community transmisson in 10 months forcing Perth into a 5 day hard lockdown.
    Last edited by Queenslander; 31-01-2021 at 06:37 AM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55876176

"The UK and European Union will "reset" relations after Brussels triggered a provision in the Brexit deal to control vaccine exports, Cabinet Office Minister Michael Gove has said.

The government is confident that the EU will not block vaccines entering the UK.

It comes after Brussels reversed its widely-condemned decision which could have seen checks at the Irish border.

Mr Gove added the European Commission recognised its "mistake"."

So patronising

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got the 'Rona

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done Baz you dickhead.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a bunch of international research visits lined up in 2020, where I'd be giving presentations at a bunch of universities - western USA and the UK. Needless to say they didn't happen, so we arranged to push the talks back. But things haven't improved enough that I can travel yet, which means over the next few months I'm giving a bunch of the talks online.

Most of the talks are between midnight and 3am, and I'll be giving from them my living room. The price we pay.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Queenslander View Post
    Western Australia has recorded its first community transmisson in 10 months forcing Perth into a 5 day hard lockdown.
    I have a friend from Perth who thought it was excessive, but honestly, we've come this far. Lock everything down for a few days in that situation, I say. Gives the contact tracers time to get things under control.

The Queensland one worked. I suspect that'll be the model in Australia for this year - occasional short tough lockdowns.