User Tag List

Page 25 of 581 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125525 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,250 of 29008

Thread: Coronavirus Death Thread

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone trying to demonstrate how much they are donning it should head over to Metaculus and start doing some predictions.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UK ENTERS TOP 10!!

Top 12 by total new cases.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Russia, Indonesia, India and Pakistan continue to report <100 cases. Baffling.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    Anyone trying to demonstrate how much they are donning it should head over to Metaculus and start doing some predictions.
    It's not predictions as such, just a healthy challenge for anyone claiming anything. If it doesn't pass the bullshit test, I'm not having it.

Not closing schools? Passes
    Not shutting down flights when it was apparent this was as contagious as an STD in an Olympic Village? Nope, not having it.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We got some work to do if we wanna get into the Corona League places

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    It's not predictions as such, just a healthy challenge for anyone claiming anything. If it doesn't pass the bullshit test, I'm not having it.

Not closing schools? Passes
    Not shutting down flights when it was apparent this was as contagious as an STD in an Olympic Village? Nope, not having it.
    Not talking about you specifically. Just in general.

You should check it out, bet you'd have some fun:

https://pandemic.metaculus.com/questions/

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we still had a proper IRA they could pick off all those cunts returning from the horse racing. We’re going to have a massive spike in the next few days because of the selfish bastards.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just stopping by to inform that I’ve been stealing the Ted Ross bit and using it in public. (I work literally a block from his office and know several people in that sector)

They all look at me like a complete weirdo but I stand by it being a good bit.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those Italy numbers are formidable.

If they haven't stemmed it and that death rate continues to grow like that they're going to have 100,000 dead from this by early April.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not talking about you specifically. Just in general.

You should check it out, bet you'd have some fun:

https://pandemic.metaculus.com/questions/
    It's very interesting. Median number of cases predicted by end of 2020 of 188m.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's very interesting. Median number of cases predicted by end of 2020 of 188m.
    Will probably be even higher.

DavidMathers discussed Metaculus 3 hours 32 min ago
    Range of allowed predictions strikes me as too low here. Plenty experts seem to think it'll be over 50% of people in most countries.

hide replies
    Jotto replied 3 hours 9 min ago
    @DavidMathers You're right. A second question that goes higher is opening soon here: https://www.metaculus.com/questions/3835/how-…

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did the forum get the coronavirus? Getting database errors.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did the forum get the coronavirus? Getting database errors.
    Yev was 30 seconds away from topping himself before it came back.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My colleague (who is nice, but loves a conspiracy theory) reckons the nature of our response is down to Dominic Cummings wanting to kill off a chunk of the population.

I asked him why the Chief Medical Officer etc would listen to Dominic Cummings on these matters, but he just said it again.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    My colleague (who is nice, but loves a conspiracy theory) reckons the nature of our response is down to Dominic Cummings wanting to kill off a chunk of the population.

I asked him why the Chief Medical Officer etc would listen to Dominic Cummings on these matters, but he just said it again.
    A large envelope or threat of the Diana treatment?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently we are working from home until 15th April. Although our boss is about to reign that back in for essential personnel, ie chumps like me.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not into conspiracy theories and I sure as shit don't buy that one, but something about this approach doesn't sit comfortably.

And as I'm typing that I've just had a text from my GP's saying:

If you have a routine appointment today or in the near future PLEASE DO NOT COME IN, we've suspended all face to face appointments. If you have one booked you will receive a phone call on the day instead
    Unless there's been an outbreak there, which there very well may have been, how the hell does that fit in with the government advice from yesterday?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I can see, everyone is ignoring the government advice and shutting down anyway. Even at my work, the most backward industry going, the MD came round at the end of the day enquiring about people's capacity to work from home should they need to. The old bag in shipping snapped a firm 'No! My team comes into the office!' at him, and he told her to fuck off in front of everyone. That was fun.

Personally I think the best thing the government could be doing right now is paying all the streaming services to open everything up for free, whacking a load of great old stuff on the BBC channels and saying stay indoors everybody.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    A large envelope or threat of the Diana treatment?
    The Dr David Kelly treatment.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I can see, everyone is ignoring the government advice and shutting down anyway.

Personally I think the best thing the government could be doing right now is paying all the streaming services to open everything up for free, whacking a load of great old stuff on the BBC channels and saying stay indoors everybody.
    This was touched on yesterday, which means they've already fucked up their behavioural science wank.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No signs of school closing, we just have to get the kids to actually wash their hands, pretty sure they had an assembly to show them how. In better news though, classrooms all now have soap in them by the sinks and there is even hushed talk that the Y2 boys toilet sinks might be fixed as only one out of four has worked for about a year now. There has however been an acorn on the staff toilet floor for over a week now, which shows just how well they're cleaned each evening.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was touched on yesterday, which means they've already fucked up their behavioural science wank.
    I've just googled behavioural science and the first thing I see is a fucking concepts pyramid, that alone has me locking the doors to be honest.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our amateur football association has decided to crack on with this weekends fixtures. Absolutely reckless from the dickless twats.

Lucky you're in off season Jimmy. I'm sure you'd see the same in cricket.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You start to think there might be something in his round-the-clock shitfitting, but then you see him recommending not to eat bread or valet park and you write it off as another one of his crank outbursts.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    Our amateur football association has decided to crack on with this weekends fixtures. Absolutely reckless from the dickless twats.

I think we would, yes. I'm kind of responsible for these decisions at my club and because we're in off season I have happily hidden behind 'I will continue to monitor government advice and keep you updated', but if we were in season I think everyone would be carrying on and I'd be sitting on my hands wondering whether to be the party pooper. Two days ago we had a record turnout at winter training and 15 blokes to the pub afterwards.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nassim Taleb is the worst “popular science” personality of them all

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post

I think we would, yes. I'm kind of responsible for these decisions at my club and because we're in off season I have happily hidden behind 'I will continue to monitor government advice and keep you updated', but if we were in season I think everyone would be carrying on and I'd be sitting on my hands wondering whether to be the party pooper. Two days ago we had a record turnout at winter training and 15 blokes to the pub afterwards.

People who aren't reading around the subject just haven't been switched onto it at all and it's only maybe today when the reality has started to hit home, but even then I'm not sure.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People who aren't reading around the subject just haven't been switched onto it at all and it's only maybe today when the reality has started to hit home, but even then I'm not sure.
    Exactly the same communications we are getting. The fixture secretary was basically JUST GET ON WITH IT.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...7NmuQZWeNwuirE

Also- 20%.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of which:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ns-coronovirus

The Greatest Game.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I can see, everyone is ignoring the government advice and shutting down anyway. Even at my work, the most backward industry going, the MD came round at the end of the day enquiring about people's capacity to work from home should they need to. The old bag in shipping snapped a firm 'No! My team comes into the office!' at him, and he told her to fuck off in front of everyone. That was fun.

Still not a peep from ours and I don't expect one, I'm intrigued to see what it might take.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was trying to look on the bright side of this whole situation but I saw this and just went into a fugue state.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's about as bleak as it gets, is TeamPanic still accepting applications?

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The true cost of this crisis hits home.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the government intervening with the schedule to keep people outside and spreading it.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shit my doctors is closed after loads of people tested positive. I was there on Monday for unrelated tests.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    Shit my doctors is closed after loads of people tested positive. I was there on Monday for unrelated tests.
    Sounds like that's what's happened at mine then. 5 to 10 thousand cases was an absolutely laughable claim.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    Still not a peep from ours and I don't expect one, I'm intrigued to see what it might take.
    Assuming you're involved in some kind of work involving selling objects (like I am), and the customer base is blue collar, I think it'll need an actual government ban including enforcement before anything happens. I think my lot have only been rocked into action because our 76 year old vice president (far from the oldest at the company) has self isolated because his wife is on dialysis and this could finish her off.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon I might have a very minor creeping temperature btw. I'll PM my address to Bamster in case anyone needs my jars of lemon curd after I die.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a cough. I had pneumonia last Feb, am I at risk?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work in a subsidiary of a large company and we took the decision locally today to stop all forms of non-essential meetings/visits where travel is involved, largely to stop key people (Branch Managers mostly) all being in the same confined place at the same time and giving it to each other. We don't have many branches and if one or two of the larger ones were to go down we'd be in the shit from a generating enough funds to keep paying sick/isolated people perspective.

Probably the most surreal conversation I've ever participated in at work.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    Lol. Girl that works at Gillies who was in Italy. I was planning on going to the Ferry tomorrow to drink. Hopefully means less busy

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SvN View Post
    Parents-in-law are meant to be going to New York next week. They're trying to see if they can get their money back, but it's looking like a no-go unless Trump extends the ban to the UK.
    I take it they don't fancy their chances?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Donald is struggling.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like Nadine Dorries may be about to off her 84 year old mother with it.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    That's the way it works though. 3 waves of "Ooh, that doesn't feel great", followed by "I feel fine", followed by "Oh shit, I really don't". With each wave getting worse.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming you're involved in some kind of work involving selling objects (like I am), and the customer base is blue collar, I think it'll need an actual government ban including enforcement before anything happens. I think my lot have only been rocked into action because our 76 year old vice president (far from the oldest at the company) has self isolated because his wife is on dialysis and this could finish her off.
    Bit of supply, bit of manufacture. But yes, I reckon nothing short of legal obligation will make them do anything. To the white van man section of our customers it's something happening on the news, the rest are the second home brigade who will still be redoing the conservatory when the bombs are falling. Our national sales guy is driving back and forth across the country for various things (Newport to Sevenoaks on Monday) and my flu-ridden spluttering MD was happily planning to go to London for a meeting with a customer before they banned anyone coming to their offices.