Results 11,451 to 11,500 of 29008

Thread: Coronavirus Death Thread

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    I hate the place and everyone involved with it. Had this shit not happened I'd probably already be working elsewhere.
    Fair play.

I think I've worked outside of 'office hours' slightly less since the pandemic. But this is mainly because our work flow has slowed down, which is not great considering the bigger picture.

So many people think that the office is no longer required (certainly in it's previous form) and home working is the way forward. But this appears to generally be the views of employees rather than employers. It's a lot harder to manage staff and quality control in this remote environment. Also the graduates need closer contact to manage and help them develop, imo.

Ps. Interesting post about peper pig world. We're all the rides open? Queues OK?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are they limiting capacity in terms of how many people they let into zoos/theme parks etcs in the UK? I guess that wouldn't be noticeable at Peppa Pig World seeing as the cap would probably apply to the whole of the bigger park, which is always deserted, so everyone would just be in the pig's domain even if it was technically only at 50% capacity.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    Are they limiting capacity in terms of how many people they let into zoos/theme parks etcs in the UK? I guess that wouldn't be noticeable at Peppa Pig World seeing as the cap would probably apply to the whole of the bigger park, which is always deserted, so everyone would just be in the pig's domain even if it was technically only at 50% capacity.

Yep. The main problem is that Paultons itself is huge, but Peppa Pig World its self is both the most popular and quite compact.

The virtual queue for some of the rides was over 2 hours long. On the other side of the park we were able to walk onto rides with no wait time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dquincy View Post
    Fair play.

I think I've worked outside of 'office hours' slightly less since the pandemic. But this is mainly because our work flow has slowed down, which is not great considering the bigger picture.

So many people think that the office is no longer required (certainly in it's previous form) and home working is the way forward. But this appears to generally be the views of employees rather than employers. It's a lot harder to manage staff and quality control in this remote environment. Also the graduates need closer contact to manage and help them develop, imo.

Ps. Interesting post about peper pig world. We're all the rides open? Queues OK?
    Yep, everything open. They were taking steps to social distance on the rides (skipping every other seat etc.) But that just made the queues worse, and there was fuck all distancing there. Which is no surprise when 50% of the attendees are under 5.
    Last edited by Spikey M; 21-07-2020 at 07:16 AM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And the other 50% are probably leaning towards the sweet embrace of corona-related death from the experience of being there.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53478404

Man, if I was civil service proper, I'd be loving that.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3.1% of fuck all isn't alot.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some things that make me glad I'm highly unlikely ever to have children, and the apparent existence of 'Peppa Pig World' is up there with the best of them.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3.1% of fuck all isn't alot.
    I got 0.75% last year and this year we're getting no rise. It's better than that.

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53478404

Man, if I was civil service proper, I'd be loving that.
    My neighbours are teachers. They have been loving their lockdown life. Initially they were at home at the start of lockdown. And since the schools started prioritising key worker children they've had a rota of 1 week in school and 1 week at home. The week in school there are hardly any kids to look after (albeit that has changed recently) and the week 'working' at home is spent by them sunbathing, playing golf and doing anything but work.

All on full pay.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What industry is that?

On the railway if it's less than 5% every year there is uproar.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Benefits. The DWP farm out the assessment side of things to us but we work with their systems, their data and their customers. But we don't get the same money. Sometimes it works out (when there's a pay sector freeze whilst we still get bumped up) and sometimes it doesn't. As a private company, they can do what they like with their payroll and they can always play the Corona card when it comes to this year's pay.

I shouldn't whinge, really. There's more senior people in the office that do the same role as me on better money. And with about 40 days holiday.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The payrise missing certain workers and leading to some calling it unjustified for others, some NHS protection clause being voted down and I think the Russia report is due to be released today? Twitter servers really earning their money today.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think everyone should be given a payrise, except people who don't deserve one.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're not getting a pay rise at least at the inflation rate, you're getting a pay cut

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A former National Security Agency (NSA) contractor who admitted passing secret information to the media has contracted coronavirus in jail.

Reality Winner, 28, was sentenced to more than five years in prison for leaking an NSA report on alleged Russian meddling in the 2016 US election.
    I also had a giggle at someone with the surname 'Cockins' today.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Her story is absolutely tragic, she was a big pro-Glenn Greenwald guy because of his work with Snowden and he was vehemently pushing the line of "There's no proof of Russia trying to affect our elections" that she sent the evidence they'd hacked the Florida voter role. He pawned the story off on some junior editor who did none of the security clearance work and the FBI had her under arrest less than 48 hours later.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Her story is absolutely tragic, she was a big pro-Glenn Greenwald guy because of his work with Snowden and he was vehemently pushing the line of "There's no proof of Russia trying to affect our elections" that she sent the evidence they'd hacked the Florida voter role. He pawned the story off on some junior editor who did none of the security clearance work and the FBI had her under arrest less than 48 hours later.
    Greenwald never said that, he just believes that the interference wasn't anywhere near as big a deal as Democrats are making it seem and that there wasn't collusion. Also makes the valid point that while Democrats were constantly op-edding about "why trump may not accept the election results if he loses - and WHAT this MEANs for our democracy", once he won the Dems did just that vis a vis Russia 'stealing the election'.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The care homes are open again but a group of young people with single digit BMIs can't congregate for a dance? Fuck the shut up.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your dancing is irrelevant.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mugbull View Post
    Greenwald never said that, he just believes that the interference wasn't anywhere near as big a deal as Democrats are making it seem and that there wasn't collusion. Also makes the valid point that while Democrats were constantly op-edding about "why trump may not accept the election results if he loses - and WHAT this MEANs for our democracy", once he won the Dems did just that vis a vis Russia 'stealing the election'.
    It's not like Obama refused to concede or anything, which is what I think people worry about with Trump.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Your dancing is irrelevant.
    Not half as much as your life, I assure you, but no one should restrict either.

Cracking piece on BBC News about those with learning difficulties dealing with lockdown

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Not half as much as your life, I assure you, but no one should restrict either.

Cracking piece on BBC News about those with learning difficulties dealing with lockdown
    Were they dancing too?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's just told you he's not allowed to dance.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stop with the fucking flirting and let's get naughty, boys.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They tell you the new normal won't be that bad but it's ripe for a line-dancing renaissance.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right, everyone back inside forever.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can look at that very graph for 1st July and see a 7-day average of 711. It's going back up but it hasn't doubled.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are decent reusable masks to buy?

They should be three layers, right?

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a scarf on and stop killing dolphins, you cunt.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Right, everyone back inside forever.
    We booked a holiday for the end of August. If this shit fucks another one I'll go postal.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked up a sports mask with some filters for under a tenner. It's thin as fuck but the filters do the job.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My next door neighbour has literally just asked me to do their bins this week because they've booked a last-minute trip to Spain.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We booked a holiday for the end of August. If this shit fucks another one I'll go postal.
    Europe warns of need for vigilance as Covid-19 cases rise sharply

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...s-rise-sharply

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What sort of a helmet books a holiday now and then gets emosh when THE GLOBAL FUCKING PANDEMIC turns out to not disappear overnight to allow them to have their bottomless sangrias? Get the fuck into Butlins with a suitcase full of Dettol, you cunts.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Europe warns of need for vigilance as Covid-19 cases rise sharply

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...s-rise-sharply
    It's a UK one, so a little less likely but a local lock down is a real possibility.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    What sort of a helmet books a holiday now and then gets emosh when THE GLOBAL FUCKING PANDEMIC turns out to not disappear overnight to allow them to have their bottomless sangrias? Get the fuck into Butlins with a suitcase full of Dettol, you cunts.
    We are going to Butlins.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm also due to be attending the UK in a few weeks (not Butlins mind) so if you're going to lapse back into some sort of lockdown it'd be appreciated if you could do it sooner rather than later, you filthy fuckers.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah you meant another UK lockdown? Not a fucking chance. The NHS will burn like that Batman scene before me and my bredrins will accept that shite again.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sort of with Taz on this one.

You either care most about the economy and industries or you care most about Covid. You can't open up tourism and then sound surprised that there's a rise in cases before imposing some bullshit 10 day wank before presumably repeating the cycle in perpetuity.

Humanity also seems really poor at dealing with this. Sans a vaccine and/or effective treatment we're basically employing methods that would have been used in the dark ages. We need to sort that shit out as if/when airborne Ebola does come, we'll never be leaving our houses again.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Humanity bad at dealing with this as opposed to?

Bats?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As in we should really be better at dealing with it.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the bright side, we've got the testing in place and have given local authorities more control to react over this. Germany, Italy and France might have lower case numbers but we're testing three times as much.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to the Algarve in a couple of weeks and hoping they hit the safe zone before then. Otherwise it's home and in lockdown on return.

As long as the flights aren't cancelled.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    As in we should really be better at dealing with it.
    We're probably going to have developed a vaccine within 12 months of this thing coming into existence. Seems pretty good going to me.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    I'm sort of with Taz on this one.

You either care most about the economy and industries or you care most about Covid. You can't open up tourism and then sound surprised that there's a rise in cases before imposing some bullshit 10 day wank before presumably repeating the cycle in perpetuity.

Humanity also seems really poor at dealing with this. Sans a vaccine and/or effective treatment we're basically employing methods that would have been used in the dark ages. We need to sort that shit out as if/when airborne Ebola does come, we'll never be leaving our houses again.
    This was obvious in early-March, and why the initial government approach was the right one. Now here we are, four months into a three week lockdown and people are still being pathetic.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    My next door neighbour has literally just asked me to do their bins this week because they've booked a last-minute trip to Spain.
    Spain just added to the quarantine list.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    On the bright side, we've got the testing in place and have given local authorities more control to react over this. Germany, Italy and France might have lower case numbers but we're testing three times as much.
    We're claiming to test 3x as much.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah we're testing three times as much because they count your throat and each nostril as three separate tests.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    King of swabs.