User Tag List

Page 14 of 581 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114514 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus Death Thread

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I'm a big fan of a societal shift from handshakes to salutes, mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Ah.

Germany's deaths are still suspiciously low I see. They have 2 now, but something's odd there.
    They were well ahead of the game.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure this country is at all prepared for the reality which is going to be hundreds of old people dying per day of respiratory failure. I'm not saying shut the country down or stop anyone coming in - what's the point, when it's already here - but it's preposterous that 'social distancing' isn't already in place. I think they're just trying to buy time and avoid proper panic.

I have now just about got my supplies up to a level where I could lock down for a month (and am fully expecting to), but paracetomol is impossible to find, haven't found any for a week in several different supermarkets. Going to have a mooch down to the big Tesco and see if they have any. Bog roll is still going like mad as well, haven't seen any of that for a couple of days.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1400 people die on average on any give day in England and Wales. I bet most of them are old. Somehow we've coped up to now.

150,000 globally, of which 2/3rds are age-related.

Drop in the fucking ocean.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Classes cancelled for the rest of the semester.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be interesting to see how many are rubbed out every year by similar viruses that go largely unreported beyond the annual flu jab stuff.

My old man has the right idea, he's looking forward to getting through some of the stuff in their freezer most of which seems to have been accumulated without any prospect of ever being eaten.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    It would be interesting to see how many are rubbed out every year by similar viruses that go largely unreported beyond the annual flu jab stuff.

My old man has the right idea, he's looking forward to getting through some of the stuff in their freezer most of which seems to have been accumulated without any prospect of ever being eaten.
    I’m in the same boat. Masses of tins built up in the pantry presses and I might have to finally make a dent in them if we have to stay home soon.
    Luckily I’ve 36 bottles just conditioned and another 20 litres just finished fermenting too.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 100-year-old man has been discharged from hospital in China after recovering from coronavirus, according to state media.

The centenarian is the oldest person to have returned to health after being diagnosed with the disease, reported Xinhua news agency.

He was among more than 80 Covid-19 patients discharged on Saturday from a wing of Hubei Maternity and Child Health Care Hospital in Wuhan, the city where the outbreak began.

The man, who reportedly had underlying health conditions including Alzheimer’s disease, hypertension and heart failure, was admitted to hospital on 24 February.
    lol

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    1400 people die on average on any give day in England and Wales. I bet most of them are old. Somehow we've coped up to now.

150,000 globally, of which 2/3rds are age-related.

Drop in the fucking ocean.
    They don't die of respiratory failure all at once, though. It's more about morale and optics than stats.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So my friend who was showing some of the symptoms but from his call with 111 because he's not been in contact with someone who has it (how do you determine that?) or been to a high risk country he's not got it. Seems robust.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet a fair chunk of them do (I'm sure pneumonia is the end game for loads of people with all sorts of problems), more than covid has seen the back of anyway today, yesterday and tomorrow. It's going to have to mount some kind of serious comeback to get on parity.

People are more afraid of poisonous snakes or spiders than they are bears. People are stupid. Poison and disease eats at the mind in a way that more mundane, but much more existential danger doesn't.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People aren't afraid of bears because for most of us there's bugger all chance of coming into contact with one.

In a similar way that people aren't scared of being stranded in space without a spacesuit.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can see bears coming. They're big and furry. The unseen threat is obviously scarier, hence why horror movies are not just two hours of people running away from Baloo.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the human mind is drawn to the irrational/inexplicable.

That was my point.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    You can see bears coming. They're big and furry. The unseen threat is obviously scarier, hence why horror movies are not just two hours of people running away from Baloo.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently if you're off 3 times in 12 months at my workplace, you get a verbal warning. In November I was off twice in one week, after going back in on Wednesday but chucking up in the evening, and calling in sick for the rest of the week. If I get a verbal warning for being made to stay off cos of Coronavirus, I'm gonna seethe.
    I'm a twit

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume they run off that points system (is it the Bradford system?) where it's benificial to take more time off rather than the odd day. You'll be fine. I've only ever seen complete piss-takers given the talk.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Apparently if you're off 3 times in 12 months at my workplace, you get a verbal warning. In November I was off twice in one week, after going back in on Wednesday but chucking up in the evening, and calling in sick for the rest of the week. If I get a verbal warning for being made to stay off cos of Coronavirus, I'm gonna seethe.
    A verbal warning for what?

Some of the more useless women at my company are off about 5-8 times a year, they would get rinsed in that system.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They use a system at my spot that is very prone to abuse where people have their next 'free' sick periods marked in their diaries. Also as said encourages people in danger of breaking the criteria to say fuck it and go off for weeks instead of days.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah when I had my “back to work” interview and was told it counted as two bouts of absence I said well next time I’ll just have two weeks off to make sure I’ve shifted it which was ignored.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    They operate a similar system at our work. I don't know if you get any sort of warning, but I know if you're off three times in a rolling twelve months in flags up on something and gets looked at. Which is obviously complete bollocks.

Their rule is also three "periods of absence". So they don't differentiate between, for example, a single day off throwing up or two months off work with stress. They both count as "one". Which has led to this this ridiculous "fuck you" culture where nobody takes a single day off work. It's like this unwritten rule that if you get poorly you might as well "make it count" and take the whole week.

We also told a lady who went to Italy last week not to come to work for two weeks today. She was in yesterday (she was fine) and I spent most of the day sat next to her. So I'm potentially doomed.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, my work is the same.

I see the health secretary has tested positive - hopefully wipes out the whole Conservative Party

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently a load of the other companies in my building have started having everyone working from home. We might be doing so as of next week. In the meantime we're to take our laptops home every night in case we get a call saying the building is closed.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My company will be the fucking last to respond to any of it. The managing director was still strutting around earlier saying it's an over-reaction. Us in sales should be working from home already. The boys lugging bits of metal around out back, well, I don't know how you avoid making them come in.

Our big Italian supplier told us they are still fully operational and carrying on as if nothing was happening. It's such an old school industry. I suppose that is inevitable when your business is to keep running 40 and 50 year old engines.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Talk about locking down Sydney. We are very lucky that summer is 6 months long these days. Darwin has 1 case so far.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waffdon View Post
    I see the health secretary has tested positive - hopefully wipes out the whole Conservative Party
    She has also met Johnson in this time, gone to the Houses of Parliament and Boris has been to see Her Maj. Might be Bank Holiday time soon...

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the best way to test this. Give it to the Queen. If she survives it's all back to work and what a load of shit, if she dies then the period of mourning can be used for 2 weeks of isolation for everyone.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    That's the best way to test this. Give it to the Queen. If she survives it's all back to work and what a load of shit, if she dies then the period of mourning can be used for 2 weeks of isolation for everyone.
    As if you'd manage to keep the British serfs off the streets for the funeral.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see there's been a case at Cheltenham. That'll be more of it arriving back on the island of Ireland next week then.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right, back to the numbers of people expected to get it, I don't get this.

From this article, there's this quote:

The expectation is that the proportion of people infected could be down at around 20%, perhaps even less, if the measures work.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-51632801

There's only 80,000 people in China with it, or less than 0.1% of their population, so why would fewer than 12 million people infected with it by the time we hit summer be a good result in the UK?

Have I misread that? If not, what are we not being told?

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    She has also met Johnson in this time, gone to the Houses of Parliament and Boris has been to see Her Maj. Might be Bank Holiday time soon...
    She had been feeling ill since last Friday. What an absolute fanny.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Right, back to the numbers of people expected to get it, I don't get this.

From this article, there's this quote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-51632801

There's only 80,000 people in China with it, or less than 0.1% of their population, so why would fewer than 12 million people infected with it by the time we hit summer be a good result in the UK?

Have I misread that? If not, what are we not being told?
    China says it is doing 6000 tests per day at full capacity. Even if it had been doing that for 2 months. That’s 360 thousand tests and a quarter of those results are positive.

For perspective, around 70% of over 65s and 30% of the remaining uk population get some form of the flu each year.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waffdon View Post
    She had been feeling ill since last Friday. What an absolute fanny.
    Thursday but still went to a Downing Street event...

She then decided to self-isolate on Friday.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vietnam pretty much on lockdown now. No new non-essential visas are being issued. There are barely any tourists here at all, the city is dead.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Queensland is still at zero for community transmission.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come on school closures! 3/4 week Easter holiday

Although less so if they make us teach via Skype which a lot of international schools have been doing :/ .

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    City v Arsenal postponed...

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sealing Germany's borders to prevent the spread of the virus will not work, the country's Health Minister Jens Spahn said on Wednesday.

He rejected calls to follow its neighbour Austria - which now denies entry to visitors from Italy.

"The virus is in Germany, it is in Europe. That's the thought we have to get used to," he told local radio station Deutschlandfunk radio, reported Reuters.

"It will still spread even if you close all the borders. Sooner or later you have to let people in or out and then it starts spreading again."
    Well, that's a shit attitude to have.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you still convinced this isn't rife Jimmy? 370 odd cases? Somehow spread across the whole nation, not isolated to a community and somehow affecting football club chairmen and politicians.

I bet that's not even 10% of the actual number.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean, our test results indicate otherwise.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're barely testing. How would you go about getting distribution of such a small number across the UK? Are we doing some kind of coughing relay where it's handed over at the border of each county?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Queensland Health is doing an amazing job with the help of private pathology.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nat...07-p53yv3.html
    Last edited by Queenslander; 11-03-2020 at 08:01 AM.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spikey’s bang on here, and that’s what they’re not telling us, because they don’t actually know. The 400 has to be a mere fraction.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In terms of spreading, 370 cases in the UK could easily be people returning from China & Italy to different places, no?
    But then again - It probably is commonly spread in most places by now. Then that just means the virus is less dangerous than what they say, if that is the case, cause a lot of people have it and mistake it for a cold.

I seriously still don't get it. It is just like any other cold or flu - if you get sick, stay the fuck home. It's always been common sense. Washing your hands in the loo and occasionally outside it as well, by the way.

And just like with any illness - if you feel like you are dying because you can't breathe well or whatever, THEN you call the ambulance.

The problem here and the reason governments have to take such measures is because of two things:

- they don't want half of a country to be home with a cold at the same time (bad for economy)
    - too many people flood the emergency rooms with mild symptoms because they think they might die before they are actually displaying any signs of emergency.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate, this is no place for reason.

Now go out and knife someone for a four-pack of loo-roll.

I note Offy not representing for the infected Jersey populace anymore.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is just like any cold or flu except it has a significantly higher mortality rate.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    It is just like any cold or flu except it has a significantly higher mortality rate.
    34 wasnt it?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3.4, bit of a difference.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's only a full stop. Grammar Nazi.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are being told 34 times the mortality rate of common flu
    Last edited by Queenslander; 11-03-2020 at 11:04 AM.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    So not like any cold or flu then.