Results 6,151 to 6,200 of 29008

Thread: Coronavirus Death Thread

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    At least Boris is ok.
    To think you went to the lengths of breaking into the hospital, and couldn't even finish him off.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our governnment has confirmed that we count every death post Covid-19-diagnosis as Coronavirus death, regardless of the actual cause of death.

If that is really true, it makes our stats seem quite impressive (35 deaths/1M population vs. 118 in the UK).

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently with the social distancing, the covid rate of infection is now down to 0.6. We can absolutely suffocate this.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    Apparently with the social distancing, the covid rate of infection is now down to 0.6. We can absolutely suffocate this.
    If we stay in our houses forever?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right like lol?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given the lengths we've gone to 0.6 strikes me as a pretty crap number.

I know it's low enough to technically get rid of the virus, but I refer you back to my previous post for the issue with that one.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3 weeks stuck inside with 2 kids has me willing to sacrifice every last one of you.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You coulda pulled out muhfucka don't put a target on us !

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll pull out of your mum in a minute.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuckin' walked right into that one ffs

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She backed onto it.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So now the thinking is that sticking people on ventilators might not be the best idea?

Good job we've re-purposed everything to make the things.

(although that's probably not the most faithful reading of the report)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Given the lengths we've gone to 0.6 strikes me as a pretty crap number.

I know it's low enough to technically get rid of the virus, but I refer you back to my previous post for the issue with that one.
    None of this is about getting rid of it. It’s about having low enough numbers that the NHS doesn’t drown. We’ll get to the point quite soon (a couple of months) where the shielding of vulnerable people is extended and the rest of us are allowed out a bit more so it circulates amongst those better able to cope and who will not apply such pressure on the NHS.

The disease is here and it’s going to take a vaccine or community immunity to render it more or less harmless (to society rather than individuals). In the meantime there is lots of experimentation going on with existing drugs for treatment.

At some point we are going to just have to get on with life. As I read elsewhere a couple of nights ago, this is shit but it’s not that deadly and it’s not that contagious. We are, understandably, shitting ourselves because we’ve not had anything like this for years. But it wasn’t so long ago that smallpox and widespread death from infectious disease was a thing. Those things never stopped us going down the pub.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently queueing at lidl and there are still loads of couples going shopping together. Also fuck off requiring a quid for trolleys, I don't carry cash at the best of times.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lewis.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking more about how, as the virus finds it harder to transmit, it might weaken in potency. Not that I think that'll happen and it's more common in seasonal stuff.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Currently queueing at lidl and there are still loads of couples going shopping together. Also fuck off requiring a quid for trolleys, I don't carry cash at the best of times.
    Use the end of a (round) key.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    I was thinking more about how, as the virus finds it harder to transmit, it might weaken in potency. Not that I think that'll happen and it's more common in seasonal stuff.
    It might do. SARS doesn’t go about killing people now and this is closely related.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Queued for 30 minutes to get into Sainsburys today.

Also, there are way too many people who don't adhere to the 2m rule and there's also too many pricks that fanny about.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    None of this is about getting rid of it. It’s about having low enough numbers that the NHS doesn’t drown. We’ll get to the point quite soon (a couple of months) where the shielding of vulnerable people is extended and the rest of us are allowed out a bit more so it circulates amongst those better able to cope and who will not apply such pressure on the NHS.

The disease is here and it’s going to take a vaccine or community immunity to render it more or less harmless (to society rather than individuals). In the meantime there is lots of experimentation going on with existing drugs for treatment.

At some point we are going to just have to get on with life. As I read elsewhere a couple of nights ago, this is shit but it’s not that deadly and it’s not that contagious. We are, understandably, shitting ourselves because we’ve not had anything like this for years. But it wasn’t so long ago that smallpox and widespread death from infectious disease was a thing. Those things never stopped us going down the pub.
    I'm well aware that none of the current measures are designed to get rid of it, wasn't me claiming we could smother it.

The NHS doesn't seem to be anywhere near capacity at the moment either, and I can't see how it will get to it given how long the restrictions have been in place, so if we're just going to crack on I don't know why we're not doing more of that now.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is another awful press conference.

I don't know why they keep banging on about the indicators in a really vague way, just tell people we're still closed and ask the journalists to politely fuck off.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not going to be two months though is it, it'll be maybe a month before pubs open up (though with the requisite 50% occupancy maximum or whatever)

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet if they had actually used 'community immunity' from the off all of the mentals who think herd immunity =/= genocide would be complaining instead about the slow pace of the community immunity roll out. The Mirror would be reporting nurses binning their protective equipment and being forced to lie about losing it, and Twitter would have everyone out at eight to rim your neighbours.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm well aware that none of the current measures are designed to get rid of it, wasn't me claiming we could smother it.

The NHS doesn't seem to be anywhere near capacity at the moment either, and I can't see how it will get to it given how long the restrictions have been in place, so if we're just going to crack on I don't know why we're not doing more of that now.
    We need to get to much smaller case numbers than we have now to go back to any kind of normality. The NHS isn’t overwhelmed in that people aren’t gasping in the car parks, but we’ve converted normal wards into Covid wards, stopped everything routine, and likely have people who require some sort of urgent intervention not turning up to A&Es for fear of catching the virus.

All of that needs to be put back to normal and can’t unless we have far fewer Covid cases to deal with. Once that happens we ought to be able to put the lid up and down in different areas and amongst age/health groups from a low level.
    Last edited by Lee; 10-04-2020 at 04:57 PM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there's ever a Coropa League for the sub-1m 'countries' we're going to be well set.

Currently rolling at 3030 cases per million and 91 (or 136) deaths per million, although we've a way to go before we're even Andorra, let alone San Marino.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tying to catch up all the 'routine but actually quite important' stuff which has been out on hold is going to be a monumental task once the NHS gets back to 'normal'.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    We need to get to much smaller case numbers than we have now to go back to any kind of normality. The NHS isn’t overwhelmed in that people aren’t gasping in the car parks, but we’ve converted normal wards into Covid wards, stopped everything routine, and likely have people who require some sort of urgent intervention not turning up to A&Es for fear of catching the virus.

All of that needs to be put back to normal and can’t unless we have far fewer Covid cases to deal with. Once that happens we ought to be able to put the lid up and down in different areas and amongst age/health groups from a low level.
    Yeah, the cases need to be a trickle. I can't see the 4,000-5,000 cases we're getting dropping in the space of a month. Not unless they're really localised.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    Tying to catch up all the 'routine but actually quite important' stuff which has been out on hold is going to be a monumental task once the NHS gets back to 'normal'.
    We don’t get on top of it for the full year after turning it off for a couple of months in winter so fuck knows how it will be sorted after this.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    If there's ever a Coropa League for the sub-1m 'countries' we're going to be well set.

Currently rolling at 3030 cases per million and 91 (or 136) deaths per million, although we've a way to go before we're even Andorra, let alone San Marino.
    Vietnam, population 90m currently has 250 cases and 0 deaths.

Although that could change soon as a British pilot is in ICU struggling due to being a fat lazy selfish twat (he went to a bar after lockdown and infected a load more people).

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing I take away from that is that there are probably very few old people in Vietnam and not many of the populace go skiing in the Alps.

Which seem to be two major societal comorbidities.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Newsnight last night had some letter from some loser pretending to be a doctor saying kids are dying because they aren't being taken to A&E in time as usual.

Also, this herd/community/orgy immunity business is a bit of a stab in the dark unless they release everyone (bar the at-risk) at once given they're not sure how long immunity lasts. If they stagger it and release the 18-35, then the 35-45, etc it may be not be as effective. But equally, I imagine odds of a dangerous mutation would also increase

Thought of the day: If the vaccine truly is the only way out of this, we'll be lucky to get a cumulative 2 months of freedom by summer 2021 and it will fully collapse the economic system to the point where a temporary revolution will need to take place where UBI comes in for 6+ months and we hope the battery doesn't go flat when we try and restart the economic engine come 2021.

What a fucking hot mess this all is and a glimpse into the end of humanity I wonder if insect transmitted diseases could/will be this severe. That would add a whole other element of shit your pants factor.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    The only thing I take away from that is that there are probably very few old people in Vietnam and not many of the populace go skiing in the Alps.

Which seem to be two major societal comorbidities.
    Being fat and male are others.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post

What a fucking hot mess this all is and a glimpse into the end of humanity I wonder if insect transmitted diseases could/will be this severe. That would add a whole other element of shit your pants factor.
    Well, Malaria kills anywhere between 2000 and 6000 per day.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did my test today. It isn’t pleasant but straightforward enough.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mugbull View Post
    It's not going to be two months though is it, it'll be maybe a month before pubs open up (though with the requisite 50% occupancy maximum or whatever)
    Not a prayer pubs are open before July.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I particularly 'd at the idea of an occupancy maximum down my local on the opening weekend. They'll do well to just try and enforce a rule about not sharing your keys and notes for the gear.

It's going to make an England world cup final appearance look like a showing of Crufts.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    There’s not a single interest group in Europe angling for a longer shutdown (besides maybe epidemiologists). China doesn’t even have interest groups aside from maybe the tech giants, and they only lasted about 2 months in lockdown, so I really see no way the thing’s gonna last as long as everybody thinks it will

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Seems about right. Im supposed to be going to Amsterdam in August for a stag do and everyone else is confident it's still going to happen. I dont want to be the miserable negative fucker but I cant see it happening at all.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I particularly 'd at the idea of an occupancy maximum down my local on the opening weekend. They'll do well to just try and enforce a rule about not sharing your keys and notes for the gear.

It's going to make an England world cup final appearance look like a showing of Crufts.
    Can imagine an occupancy in the boozer with everyone keeping 2m between eachother and then 100 people onto of eachother in the queue.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There’s not a single interest group in Europe angling for a longer shutdown (besides maybe epidemiologists). China doesn’t even have interest groups aside from maybe the tech giants, and they only lasted about 2 months in lockdown, so I really see no way the thing’s gonna last as long as everybody thinks it will
    China is a completely different case to what's happened here. The two are incomparable.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    China is a completely different case to what's happened here. The two are incomparable.
    By “the thing” i mean the lockdown. Obviously China’s doing the whole contact tracing thing in a way we can’t because we’re not living in an Orwellian universe

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bruh, what the fuck are interest groups? Science is clear, you open ot up and in 30 days time we'll be back to square one. When that second wave in Wuhan appears in the news

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Seems about right. Im supposed to be going to Amsterdam in August for a stag do and everyone else is confident it's still going to happen. I dont want to be the miserable negative fucker but I cant see it happening at all.
    Amsterdam? The Dutch are still open.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know but they're not opening pubs. They'll do it slowly slowly with the aim of helping families (us single blokes are at the back of the queue). Nurseries will open first, then certain shops (one in one out), then other shops, then primary schools, etc etc.

Social distancing will stay for fucking months and will remain the real nightmare, even once more things are open. Only when they bin that will we approach any kind of normal.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By “the thing” i mean the lockdown. Obviously China’s doing the whole contact tracing thing in a way we can’t because we’re not living in an Orwellian universe
    They also locked down in a much more stringent way than we have.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bruh, what the fuck are interest groups?
    Basically they're just groups that use various forms of advocacy in order to influence public opinion and ultimately policy.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We’ll be in pubs before July. 100%.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ll not be going near one until every other fucker has it out their system first.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone give Yev a slap, such a drama queen trying his best to scaremonger.

Sort yourself out, you've had this virus about five times sitting at home.