Page 393 of 581 FirstFirst ... 293343383391392393394395403443493 ... LastLast
Results 19,601 to 19,650 of 29008

Thread: Coronavirus Death Thread

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    I hadn't even considered it the remotest possibility until both you and Spikey seemed to express exactly that opinion in this thread.

I don't have disdain for the "general public", whoever they may be.
    I refer you to Niko's second paragraph and can't actually believe it needed to be said.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lockdown is about preventing the NHS literally falling apart over winter. It's already stretched to breaking point every year, it will only take a few extra patients to properly implode.

Also, to the "I won't need a ventilator so I don't care" crowd, do you think they'll keep a few spare in case you fall and hit your head and need ITU treatment, or get in a major car accident, or any of the other things which might end up with you needing one? Because they won't, they'll all be taken up by covid patients.
    Lighten the Workload. Protect the NHS. Scam the Public.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    I refer you to Niko's second paragraph and can't actually believe it needed to be said.
    Of course it's better psychologically for healthcare staff if there aren't bodies piling up in the corridors. I never said any different. It's the insinuation that when people were staying at home they were primarily doing it for NHS workers and we should be grateful that I took issue with. On an individual workload level people were at capacity anyway.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would they pile up? Plenty of undertakers and land left...or is that OVERWHELMED as well.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There seems to be two issues here, regarding the nurses pay. One is that they’ve had an effective 9% pay cut over the last ten years. Number two, they want recognition for the spectacularly hard year they’ve had.

Point one is clearly shit and I don’t know enough about government spending to know why it’s happened. How do they stack up against other public sector workers?

Point two is wank. Yes it’s been shit but you don’t get extra money for doing a harder job for a temporary period. As someone who will (hopefully) be a doctor in three years, you don’t go into the healthcare industry in this country to make money. If I want to make it big I’ll fuck off to America again.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol three years in advance at Randrew creeping round 7om in the health thread trying to drum up interest in his shit second opinions.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if nurses got a 12.5% pay rise, there wouldn't be a single a soul going into it to "make money".

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, people getting peeved over any rise is a bit petulant. Lost your job in the pandemic? The NHS can't help that. Shit happens.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    Actually, people getting peeved over any rise is a bit petulant. Lost your job in the pandemic? The NHS can't help that. Shit happens.
    Shit does indeed happen and it's the shit that's happened that's left numerous people out of work, will leave countless more out of work in the near future and is going to lead to mass homelessness and bankruptcy without governmental intervention. If you look at that situation and come down on the side of "nah, give the nurses 12.5% mate", then tune in to Jeremy Vine on Monday. You have found your people.

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course it's better psychologically for healthcare staff if there aren't bodies piling up in the corridors. I never said any different. It's the insinuation that when people were staying at home they were primarily doing it for NHS workers and we should be grateful that I took issue with. On an individual workload level people were at capacity anyway.
    "Bodies piling up in the corridor"

Really?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even the cleaners are lazy.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dquincy View Post
    "Bodies piling up in the corridor"

Really?
    I was responding to Alex who used those words.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently the Tories have snuck through a 13% pay rise for HMRC workers. The fucking audacity.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I worked for the MOJ they offered us a 9% rise spread over 3 years, but we would have to sign a new contract changing us from 37 hours per week to 40 hours per week and would change from Monday - Friday to rolling shift pattern with Saturdays included.

Lol.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The HMRC increase is funded by similar contract changes and savings and isn't costing the public purse anything. Stand down. Open the saunas.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56281064

Sonja Chenier, 47, from Colchester, has had three hospital admissions in the past 15 years and takes multiple medications daily for her asthma.
    15 years is a bit of stretch, Sonja. The multiple medications would be better if the article told me what they were. I'm guessing one's a brown preventative inhaler and they regularly use their blue one.

Peter Smith, a 37-year-old from Bristol, said his GP dismissed the NHS guidance as "irrelevant".

He had four hospital stays because of his asthma when he was younger - twice after an emergency ambulance was called - and says respiratory illnesses like flu are a trigger for him now.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3 hospital admissions in 15 years is extremely significant for someone with asthma tbh.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BuT aStHmAtIcS aReNt AfFeCtEd

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The data shows people with MILD asthma are at no increased risk of severe disease if they get covid than baseline.

That's why only people with moderate/severe asthma are in a priority group for vaccination (i.e. those with previous hospital admissions or requirement for courses if oral steroids).

Which is entirely consistent with what I've said all along.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In other news, I might look more presentable if the barbers were open.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the two in the article, their most recent hospital admissions mustn't have been recent enough. They do lay out the guidelines pretty clearly and asthma's a moving bar. I'm nowhere near as bad as I was as a kid and nothing seems to trigger it aside from clearing the hoover out. I'd have been more sympathetic if the article was more specific about the hospital stints. 3 in 15 years might've meant their last one as 5 years ago. Clearly their GP's see their condition as managed.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A hospital admission as an adult with asthma is significant regardless IMO.

I've just looked at the guidance and it says any hospital admission ever as far as I can see, which seems completely reasonable to me.
    Last edited by randomlegend; 07-03-2021 at 02:55 PM.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BBC: ZERO COVID DEATHS

Government website: "Owing to processing issues for deaths in England, the numbers of deaths throughout the UK will be updated later. In the meantime, the number of newly reported deaths for 7 March 2021 may incorrectly show as zero."

Fucking useless. Fact check before posting that shit, you eejits. Especially when you've just reported Wales' numbers as 18.
    Last edited by Shindig; 07-03-2021 at 04:24 PM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'll be 100-ish today.

Covid is all over red rover, schools opening will have no effect now. Just got to sit around for another two months or whatever waiting for our public health overlords to let us out.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56312621

Team Zero-Covid have moved on to fresh pastures.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that one is a very genuine concern.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zero Covid had an absolute jamboree yesterday, I loved it. Scroll down this twitter thread at your own risk. Oddly their list of speakers seemed to coincide basically in perfect harmony with those habitually occupying the extreme left of British politics, but I'm sure that's just a coincidence and their motivations are entirely to do with scientific rigour.

https://twitter.com/ZeroCovidNow1/st...62316005507082

Still, good to see a few old favourites out and about.

"The risk is that cases will rise once more, a couple of weeks after schools reopen on Monday", @HackneyAbbott says. "Instead of tackling the pandemic, the Tories are using it to launch more attacks on workers with austerity."
    Deepti's still going strong with her unique brand of dishonest poison:

"A vaccine-only strategy, the government strategy, leaves us open to great risks", says @dgurdasani1. "Sections of the population will not be vaccinated, protection is not complete, and variants provide new risks. #ZeroCovid is an elimination strategy, and is achievable"
    I wonder if you keep saying 'It's achievable' enough times, will that make it more achievable? Who knows. Still, even she was outgunned in the dangerous bullshit category this time:

'Our members are very clear we will do everything we can, with students and unions, to halt in-person teaching until it's safe, up to and including industrial action", says @zenscara
    That's the spirit. But wait, here come Independent Sage.

Our next speaker is @chrischirp from @IndependentSage who highlights the fact that lockdown benefits better paid. "Poorer workers are still forced to go to work. And get more infections, and more likely to need intensive care".
    YOU ARE LITERALLY ADVOCATING MORE OF THIS FOR MONTHS AND MONTHS.

It's probably the worst 'movement' imaginable.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know what I would find refreshing? If people (politicians really) were willing to say "you know what, we don't and can't actually know what the absolute right thing to do is, but is is what we think and are going with". People on any part of the spectrum who claim to be 100% sure they are in the right are idiots IMO.

I firmly believe that whatever we do we could be looking back in ten years and thinking how wrong we were, but we are in unchartered waters and that's just the way it is.

But I guess people would paint any politician with the authenticity to do that as 'weak' and they would lose all support.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've got a working vaccine, so unless we're saying we've enjoyed far too many unnecessary freedoms over the last x decades, opening up is 100% the right thing to be doing.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know what I would find refreshing? If people (politicians really) were willing to say "you know what, we don't and can't actually know what the absolute right thing to do is, but is is what we think and are going with". People on any part of the spectrum who claim to be 100% sure they are in the right are idiots IMO.

I firmly believe that whatever we do we could be looking back in ten years and thinking how wrong we were, but we are in unchartered waters and that's just the way it is.

But I guess people would paint any politician with the authenticity to do that as 'weak' and they would lose all support.
    There's no arguing that really. It is a fact that a new variant COULD pop up up render everything we've done until now pointless. It comes down to risk tolerance, I guess. Some of us fall on the side of taking that risk, some of use fall on the side of, well, not leaving the house until the world is free of this.

I guess the solution has to be in the middle somewhere, because the Brazilian approach is pretty worrying.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. And by the time we're fully open, two thirds of the country will at least have one shot in the arm. This is it, largely because there's no more silver bullets to wait for.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    There's no arguing that really. It is a fact that a new variant COULD pop up up render everything we've done until now pointless. It comes down to risk tolerance, I guess.
    Exactly, and that's absolutely fine and right. I wish people were willing to...?admit that rather than pretending they are absolutely confident that what they are advocating for is best.
    Last edited by randomlegend; 07-03-2021 at 05:22 PM.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate, we're not masking up again to give you another winter off.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bronch season will come whenever we open up properly, winter or otherwise. Bring it on.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brunch season, moar liek

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    It'll be 100-ish today.

Covid is all over red rover, schools opening will have no effect now. Just got to sit around for another two months or whatever waiting for our public health overlords to let us out.
    The confidence in this post. I just hope it rings true in a few months time.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My colleagues stag do has been booked for 25th-28th June in a massive house in Belper and a night out planned in Nottingham. Even if the restrictions are only lifted for a week, I’m going in hard.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All we need now is some nice weather this summer. I can’t wait.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aye. I can't wait to bugger off out the house and or country.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://news.sky.com/story/organiser-...olice-12239043

Oganiser of NHS pay protest in manchester given £10,000 fine by police.

Last edited by Dquincy; 07-03-2021 at 10:38 PM.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    de-arrested doesn't sound like a word that should exist.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    de-arrested doesn't sound like a word that should exist.
    Winningest is a word that seems to have popped up in the last year or so which absolutely needs to fuck off.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56311723

This shit needs to fuck off.

Understandable for GCSE students, but there's no way my daughter is going in. We have an amazing summer planned and she's missed out on enough.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Winningest is a word that seems to have popped up in the last year or so which absolutely needs to fuck off.
    Not for the legendary few who completed G1 Jockey 3 on the PS2, where the ultimate and almost unattainable aim was to become the “Winningest Jockey.” Meaning it’s been a mainstay in my vocabulary since 2004.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't a lot of what she's missed out on school?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a part of me that wonders how little schooling you can get away with. The last two years of secondary school was all about gearing you for GCSE's.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    They all have though. It’s not like a select few are behind. They’ve all missed the same, and can all catch up together, in regular school time.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see a possible flaw in that logic.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not that important if she's in the first couple of years of primary school, which is basically organised play.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She's in reception. We can do finger paintings at home (and have done for a year now)