User Tag List

Page 347 of 581 FirstFirst ... 247297337345346347348349357397447 ... LastLast
Results 17,301 to 17,350 of 29008

Thread: Coronavirus Death Thread

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wifes Grandad (89 & receiving palliative care), Nan (90 something) and uncle (70) all received positive tests today. Only carers have been going in and out since before Christmas. Fuck sake.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Wifes Grandad (89 & receiving palliative care), Nan (90 something) and uncle (70) all received positive tests today. Only carers have been going in and out since before Christmas. Fuck sake.
    I'm starting to wonder what proportion of cases are directly attributable to hospitals and care homes. Are there any numbers on it anywhere?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do they live in flats? I've heard things about the virus being good at getting around shared air con systems (although that might be bullshit, who knows).

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Just checked, yeah, he's the guy behind "52 times Britian was a bellend". That's proper twee fbpe shite. The left don't fucking want him.
    I'm classing the left as anyone who makes smug posts on twitter (like a David Schneider style feed) so a lot of them are probably what you would class as centrists. For me, though, a proper centrist would be drawing from both sides on most issues, rather than just manoeuvering themselves into whatever stance they think will make them palatable when North London dinner parties start back up again.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    I'm starting to wonder what proportion of cases are directly attributable to hospitals and care homes. Are there any numbers on it anywhere?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Do they live in flats? I've heard things about the virus being good at getting around shared air con systems (although that might be bullshit, who knows).
    They live in a house with their 70 year old son as their day to day carer and Community Carers coming in daily for my wifes Grandad.

The 70 year old is the hardest hit at the moment. Wifes Grandad asymptomatic at the moment. If he does develop symptoms I can't see any way he survives.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Gran's still asymptomatic (about 5 days in now) so hang in there Spikey.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My nonna has now been Bill Gated. First Pfizer jab today.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm classing the left as anyone who makes smug posts on twitter (like a David Schneider style feed) so a lot of them are probably what you would class as centrists. For me, though, a proper centrist would be drawing from both sides on most issues, rather than just manoeuvering themselves into whatever stance they think will make them palatable when North London dinner parties start back up again.
    He will be a 'centrist' in real life insofar as he doesn't believe in anything and has a testosterone deficiency, but his gimmick depends on not having any run-ins with the popular crowd[s], and most of them are clustered around left-wing things, so they get him by default.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Gran's still asymptomatic (about 5 days in now) so hang in there Spikey.
    Didn't know your Nan had it too. Must have missed it. Did she have a test just in case or does she live with someone who has symptoms? Fingers crossed.

Wife's Nan does have symptoms but not as bad as my wife's uncle at the moment. They've been ill since Tuesday so really need some improvement ASAP.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about 'New Labour types'? We can both agree to hate that.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The three people my nan and grandad know/know of who have died of it caught it either from their carers or relatives who are care workers. I wrote them all letters thanking them for protecting the NHS.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't know your Nan had it too. Must have missed it. Did she have a test just in case or does she live with someone who has symptoms? Fingers crossed.

Wife's Nan does have symptoms but not as bad as my wife's uncle at the moment. They've been ill since Tuesday so really need some improvement ASAP.
    She was absolute fine and then slipped over in the garden one day > hospital > surgery > 24/7 care needed > into a care home > caught covid.

Which is why I'm now wondering how many deaths are attributable to hospitals and care homes. If it's a large amount then all this we've done over the last year would be so much less worth it.

I'm not supposed to see my gran and I haven't, but ironically she'd have been safer with me than under actual care. It's fucking mental.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    The three people my nan and grandad know/know of who have died of it caught it either from their carers or relatives who are care workers. I wrote them all letters thanking them for protecting the NHS.
    This is it, isn't it. It dawned on me the other day (after thinking about my gran) that the only people I've heard of die from this fucking thing either caught it in a care home or a hospital.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right, this is to June, by which time we'd had just under 38,000 deaths.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...020provisional

Since the beginning of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic (between the period 2 March to 12 June 2020, registered up to 20 June 2020), there were 66,112 deaths of care home residents (wherever the death occurred); of these, 19,394 involved COVID-19, which is 29.3% of all deaths of care home residents.
    Over 50% of the deaths to June were in care homes. You are fucking shitting me.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then again, my other grandad's demented wife has them in an out all day and neither of them have had it. It was flushing it all out into them early doors to help the hospitals.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was flushing it all out into them early doors to help the hospitals.
    I thought so too originally, but deaths there are clearly still happening so I'd love to see the up to date numbers.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought everyone was very clear on that since the beginning.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And why aren't the BBC on this Norway issue? It's a rhetorical question, but playing right into the anti-vaxxers hands by burying it.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    I thought everyone was very clear on that since the beginning.
    Didn't realise it was that high and I want to know what it is now as it's clearly still happening.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is from the US, but still:

As deaths spiraled — adding to the nation’s long-term care death total of roughly 133,000 residents and staff, which represents 37 percent of all deaths from COVID-19 in the U.S.
    https://www.aarp.org/caregiving/heal...-december.html

In Minnesota:

Nearly 94 percent of the state’s coronavirus deaths have been people over the age of 60 and about 64 percent were residents of long-term care.
    https://www.twincities.com/2021/01/1...d-by-covid-19/

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right, this is to June, by which time we'd had just under 38,000 deaths.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...020provisional

It stands to reason that NHS staff are rife with it and spreading it like wildfire. It's the nature of their role. With the care homes, it's just been rattling through them since BoJo decided it was a good idea to empty all the old people out of the hospitals and in to them back in March(?) without testing them. The carers coming and going can't help, but the well was well and truly poisoned early doors.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought so too originally, but deaths there are clearly still happening so I'd love to see the up to date numbers.
    I think the New Variant just confounds most attempts to stifle it.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless the carers reside in the homes as well, it's inevitably going to make its way through the doors. And the people those carers will spend the most time with will be the ones most at risk.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And why aren't the BBC on this Norway issue? It's a rhetorical question, but playing right into the anti-vaxxers hands by burying it.
    What's the Norway issue?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    What's the Norway issue?
    Bill Gates is about to kill Kiko's nan.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.blo...der-rise-to-29

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All valid points gents, it just seems utterly perverse to me that we're making all of these sacrifices and that number of people are still dying solely because they're in 'care'.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bill Gates is about to kill Kiko's nan.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.blo...der-rise-to-29
    Honestly, it's a scandal that this isn't on the BBC.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems like a bit of a reach to assume it's the vaccine. Old people do have a habit of dying unfortunately, but it should be being covered and it is an open goal for the anti-vaxxers.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Magic has probably wanked himself into a coma.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loads of countries are vaccinating, so if there are only deaths in Norway then either it's a pretty good cover up job by all the other countries, or it's a category error / something else.

I can well see why state media wouldn't report it - there should be no oxygen given to anything that might discourage people from having the vaccines. Not reporting it and riling up a few online cranks is a price well worth paying for that.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Up to a fifth of staff in some care home groups have refused a coronavirus vaccine when offered, the PA news agency has been told, with suggestions younger workers are more likely to be resistant. The majority of care home staff who have been offered the jab are getting vaccinated, but data obtained by PA from a number of providers shows between 5% and 21% of staff offered a vaccine have declined it.
    I'd like a more accurate number than that.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems like a bit of a reach to assume it's the vaccine. Old people do have a habit of dying unfortunately, but it should be being covered and it is an open goal for the anti-vaxxers.
    This, and it also sounds like the people who they are talking about were literally at death's door (in which case they would definitely die if they got covid).

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    I'd like a more accurate number than that.
    They should be sacked. They wouldn't let a surgeon refuse to wear gloves or a pilot refuse to take a drugs test.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wife's nan collapsed earlier and an ambulance has had to go out. She has falls sometimes so not sure if Covid related but ffs.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They should be sacked. They wouldn't let a surgeon refuse to wear gloves or a pilot refuse to take a drugs test.
    100% agree.

I know of two people who are shielding and getting furlough pay who are adamant they are going to refuse the vaccine and obviously hope to carry on getting the money from the government. I can see it becoming a bit of a scandal as the year goes on.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are care workers and nurses required to get the flu jab?

I personally think it’ll be unenforceable to mandate vaccination regardless of profession. If a person is concerned about pumping a dose of an unknown “poison” into their body, I think they’re within their right to refuse. If they’re penalised for doing so that’s discrimination.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not compulsory but I can't imagine many refuse it.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    100% agree.

I know of two people who are shielding and getting furlough pay who are adamant they are going to refuse the vaccine and obviously hope to carry on getting the money from the government. I can see it becoming a bit of a scandal as the year goes on.
    What are their plans for when the furlough scheme ends?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can get the flu jab at my work and I’ve never bothered. Imagine there’s a few swathe of the population that are similar.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foe View Post

I personally think it’ll be unenforceable to mandate vaccination regardless of profession. If a person is concerned about pumping a dose of an unknown “poison” into their body, I think they’re within their right to refuse. If they’re penalised for doing so that’s discrimination.
    You could say it's discrimination or that it's just part of the job, and if they feel so strongly about it they can find a different job.

A friend of mine who's an EMT was telling us a while ago that a lot of care homes are staffed by caretakers who couldn't find jobs anywhere else because they're so useless. They sound like just abysmal places some of them.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When their refusal could dirctly lead to the death of the people they are employed to look after then discrimination is the right thing to do. We discriminate against people based on their profession all the time. A copper can't buy beer on the way home from work. I can.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait what? Is that some sort of uniform thing?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. Learnt it whilst I was at Tesco. You're not allowed to sell it to them.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aren't caring homes rammed full of dirty ethnics? That would explain the hesitancy.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless it was a very, very expensive one I would rather be dead than in a care home.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonsky View Post
    You could say it's discrimination or that it's just part of the job, and if they feel so strongly about it they can find a different job.

A friend of mine who's an EMT was telling us a while ago that a lot of care homes are staffed by caretakers who couldn't find jobs anywhere else because they're so useless. They sound like just abysmal places some of them.
    Try and implement it and I all but guarantee there will be a lawsuit.

You must inject this poison into your body to protect you (and others) against a disease they may never catch.

I totally agree it should be fully recommended but I don’t think it can be mandatory. If my company tried to implement that sort of strategy I’d be pretty pissed.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless it was a very, very expensive one I would rather be dead than in a care home.
    "It's a retirement community!"

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be honest, the one my parents picked is decent. And four times more expensive than their council bungalow. My Granddad wound up in a tiny studio thing not much different to a hotel room.
    Last edited by Shindig; 17-01-2021 at 06:54 PM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try and implement it and I all but guarantee there will be a lawsuit.

You must inject this poison into your body to protect you (and others) against a disease they may never catch.

I totally agree it should be fully recommended but I don’t think it can be mandatory. If my company tried to implement that sort of strategy I’d be pretty pissed.
    Yeah, because you're not working in health care.

Everyone's lives have been fully upended for 10 months to avoid people dying of Covid, but forcing nurses to get the vaccine is suddenly a line too far.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forcing anyone to get it is a line too far in my opinion. Regardless of profession.