User Tag List

Page 346 of 581 FirstFirst ... 246296336344345346347348356396446 ... LastLast
Results 17,251 to 17,300 of 29008

Thread: Coronavirus Death Thread

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with all that Kiko, but if our government has any sense we'll close borders immediately the next time someone sneezes in Wuhan. This approach is the lesser of two evils, but it's still awful. Like choosing between Max Clifford or Nando's.

And I make you right Jim, no way are we back in pre-Christmas tier 2/3 life within 4 weeks.

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    It's bollocks. You can't insulate the vulnerable from the non vulnerable. You can't have partial safety with covid in the community. You can't have normal work force if you have covid in the community. A healthy, covid free population means you can have a return to normal like the many countries that are back to normality.
    All good points.

The whole balancing of the economy against covid deaths and NHS welfare is a difficult one with no clear line.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a clear line really. Restrict movement, implement masks and test and trace, close major travel ports for tourists(or quarantine them) and let the virus die out. The half measure means the economy continues to suffer while you still have the virus which amplifies in the winter months.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just give it until the end of February and end of the winter period before rolling into tiered approaches. With the warming weather and vaccine roll out the cases will fall and become controlled.
    There are enough headbangers who want us out of lockdown now and enough other headbangers who want ZERO COVID that it will be a lot harder to judge than that, I think.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a clear line really. Restrict movement, implement masks and test and trace, close major travel ports for tourists(or quarantine them) and let the virus die out. The half measure means the economy continues to suffer while you still have the virus which amplifies in the winter months.
    Surely we're stuck with the virus for a fair while now as you're not going to sync up the global vaccination effort to eradicate it that quickly.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your assessment is right though, cases are falling. Winter will pass and pressures will ease over the coming month. We're actually doing very well at the vaccine so we should be positive.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get everyone over sixty vaccinated, no more immigration for a hundred years, and throw everything open for 17 March which can become a sort of anti-Chinese version of Bonfire Night.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Surely we're stuck with the virus for a fair while now as you're not going to sync up the global vaccination effort to eradicate it that quickly.
    Yep. I'm reading the Covid 19 great reset book and it says that scientists all expect it to be part of our decision making for 18-24 months. It'll probably end up being like the flu.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's all well and good, but by that time there will be many SME's who have gone under as a result. That's a lot of livelihoods affected as a result. And before anyone says it, but yes on the other hand covid deaths and the NHS...

My point being, it's impossible to prioritise one over the other.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesterday the UK vaccinated 10x the number the Dutch have done since they started, according to Bloomberg. Oh and the entire government just resigned

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Yesterday the UK vaccinated 10x the number the Dutch have done since they started, according to Bloomberg. Oh and the entire government just resigned
    It was only you holding us back.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always a source of entertainment.

Brazilian president claims he 'cannot do anything' about the coronavirus situation in his country

Jair Bolsonaro, Brazil's president, said that he "cannot do anything" about COVID-19 in his country.

It is among the lines dropping from reporters in the country.

He also said that he "should be on the beach", which is reflective of his attitude to COVID-19.

On reports that the Amazonian city of Manaus is struggling to cope, he told reporters that hospitals there are "always full", and claimed that nobody else could handle the pandemic better than his government.

Mr Bolsonaro has frequently played down the severity of the outbreak, even attending anti-mask rallies - despite contracting the disease.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think today has given me the clearest sign of the issues that are faced within the community though. I work in a small office of four people today one of other people in the offices wives has been pinged to say that she has to isolate as one of her contacts has developed Covid. But even though he lives in the same house as her unless she develops symptoms he doesn’t have to isolate.

So as she can’t get a test(as she has no symptoms) she could then be asymptomatic he could continue going about his daily life but could become infectious but because she hasn’t been tested positive it’s ok. From our viewpoint he’s not coming to the office but it just seems staggering to me he isn’t required to self isolate.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Masks in the pub is the most weird experience in recent memory.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Emia View Post
    I think today has given me the clearest sign of the issues that are faced within the community though. I work in a small office of four people today one of other people in the offices wives has been pinged to say that she has to isolate as one of her contacts has developed Covid. But even though he lives in the same house as her unless she develops symptoms he doesn’t have to isolate.

So as she can’t get a test(as she has no symptoms) she could then be asymptomatic he could continue going about his daily life but could become infectious but because she hasn’t been tested positive it’s ok. From our viewpoint he’s not coming to the office but it just seems staggering to me he isn’t required to self isolate.
    The alternative would quickly Kevin Bacon the whole country into isolation unfortunately.
    Last edited by Spikey M; 16-01-2021 at 07:23 AM.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    At least.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I'm now fairly confident the UK cases peak was on 4 January or thereabouts. That would project a (national) hospitalisations peak of between now and a week's time, and deaths peak of between 1 and 2 weeks' time.

Now we just have to keep vaccinating, keep locked down for a bit, and keep the borders shut so that no other dodgy variants get in.

Coming out of lockdown is harder to predict but I think you can peg it to whenever daily deaths are in low double figures (sub 40, maybe) and it's been established that cases haven't picked up again post-vaccine rollout. I would guess mid-March we might start to see some movement. The Tory headbangers will be wanting it ended much earlier than that, which is a bit of a problem because they are fanatics and will draw out the other fanatics (people who love lockdown and don't want it to end) to scream at them, which will be another frustrating month or so of discourse.
    Jimmy, I am meant to be going to Croatia at the end of May / start of June. Please can you accelerate your timeline?

If you could also sort out the EU's vaccine efforts by repurposing your works distribution service that would be greatly appreciated.

(I am aware there is a 3% chance of holidays happening by May).

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And chance of me leaving the country in March has gone south. Unless I jab up and the yanks let me in. And my destination doesn't issue a stay at home order.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May is highly unlikely, March is just not happening.

I reckon July.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might be allowed (depending on what Croatia/the EU are doing by then) - the government will be under desperate pressure from airlines etc to re-open travel.

I don't think it would be a great idea though. Our second wave last year came from a load of holidaymakers bringing a variant back from Spain.

I have a Portugal trip (originally from March 2020) in October and I'm not convinced about that happening.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a massively bad idea that I would be completely against were it not for my own selfish desires.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whilst this is nothing new, it always makes me laugh when people bleat on about what a bang up job the antipodeans are doing with covid.

I'm sure the last time one of these stories came across the BBC main page it was way worse, about some poor bugger who had been on a work trip to the UK in February, basically become destitute as a result of not being allowed to return home (or work in the UK) and then been lolled out of Australia House and told to go and see the relevant local council about homelessness provision. Fair dinkum mate.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at all of these exemptions for the UK negative Covid test before entry Talk about half-arsed.

"People who represent organisations which are participating in the fourth National Lottery Licence competition."

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.state.gov/fact-sheet-act...e-of-virology/

Clubs, open. Chinese takeaways, driven into the sea.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll take every pandemic they want to import before I let you take my crispy duck away.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a flat viewing on my street this morning and I count thirty three people standing about outside it.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Throw a molotov out the window.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might be allowed (depending on what Croatia/the EU are doing by then) - the government will be under desperate pressure from airlines etc to re-open travel.

I don't think it would be a great idea though. Our second wave last year came from a load of holidaymakers bringing a variant back from Spain.

I have a Portugal trip (originally from March 2020) in October and I'm not convinced about that happening.
    Yeah, plus it comes with the possibility of you landing somewhere, getting ill and then having a holiday in quarantine (or requiring hospital treatment). Or a NEW VARIANT coming along that strands you at an airport. I'm glad BA gave me the straight refund, all things considered. Fuck rescheduling it 5 months at a time.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This holiday is the one we moved on from last June. If we can't go this time we'll just take the refund. Too much fucking around.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    Whilst this is nothing new, it always makes me laugh when people bleat on about what a bang up job the antipodeans are doing with covid.

I'm sure the last time one of these stories came across the BBC main page it was way worse, about some poor bugger who had been on a work trip to the UK in February, basically become destitute as a result of not being allowed to return home (or work in the UK) and then been lolled out of Australia House and told to go and see the relevant local council about homelessness provision. Fair dinkum mate.
    One of my cousin's was in the same situation. A family member died in the UK, he went to the funeral and then was stuck here for months due to the closed door policy.

Two sets of friends have rearranged their weddings to this June in Italy and I'm not really sure it'll be likely at this point.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mate wants to go to Chicago in September for his 30th and I'm not very confident about that.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're not confident of your next breath.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only holiday that's being seriously planned at the moment is to the Lake District. Surely that can't go tits-up? I'll happily take someone out to get a festival squeezed in, but it seems a distant dream right now.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still hold out for something abroad in September but March will probably be me pottering about the North-East. Except Teesside.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have tickets for Euro "2020", which I'm not even sure which continent it'll be played on at the moment

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today's case data is really encouraging again.

I have to say, ever since I got wrapped up in all the stats around this, I've come to the conclusion that there is literally only one thing that makes a big difference in either direction, and that is schools closing. If you have schools open it basically doesn't matter what else you do, it's all dancing around the edges of the problem. I'm seeing lefty cases on twitter today make pronouncements about garden centres still being open as if this is Boris Johnson gunning down a high street. Garden centres! If schools are closed you could have state funded eco-orgies in garden centres and the cases would still go down.

The government must know this very well but have obviously never said it, hence all the hints that have been made from day one about 'having to sacrifice' other things to keep schools open.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Mrs has to go back to work as the autistic/disadvantaged kids are being brought back early. In other words, there’s not enough money being spent while kids are at home.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It makes sense. The schools being shut keeps more people at home. They're not doing the school run and the kids aren't going out and doing kid stuff with other kids. There's nearly 12 million kids in this country and limiting their movements, rather than cattling them into buildings with classrooms of 30+ has to have a big effect.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next question: why are all the lefty mob so incandescent with rage about Laurence Fox? The stupid cunt has no publicity other than that which he gives himself on his own twitter account, which can safely be ignored, but instead they spend all weekend amplifying it.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could put plenty of names in that sentence.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next question: why are all the lefty mob so incandescent with rage about Laurence Fox? The stupid cunt has no publicity other than that which he gives himself on his own twitter account, which can safely be ignored, but instead they spend all weekend amplifying it.
    Because the internet is full of bored mongs who just like to pile onto whoever the easiest, most obvious target is for whatever it is they want to vent about.

I'm sure that, despite the way you post about these things, you don't actually think this behaviour is specific to the left.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not specific to the left but it is specific to the smug (there is some overlap, especially on Twitter).

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The difference just reflects the general Twitter dynamics. If one of the professional leftists say something stupid they get a hundred people calling them a faggot and some minor Telegraph columnist lolling at them. The other side has a giant ecosystem of needy losers tagging Owen Jones in the replies, forty year olds who say things like 'Fuck all the way off', and saddos extrapolating their statements into an imminent threat to minorities.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Replace Owen Jones with James Felton* and it's probably right. Fox is really pretty pathetic but only exists because Twitter keeps biting on his obvious nonsense.

*His book on the Sun was actually very funny. What an awful newspaper.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all nonsense. The right is hell bent on 'protecting' a society that hasn't existed since Winston Churchill was at school and the left is busy trying to delete every label that's ever existed so they can replace each of them with 12 new ones.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *His book on the Sun was actually very funny. What an awful newspaper.
    I'm reading that just now. His previous one was good too.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's an embarrassment that lad. Absolutely everything wrong with Twitter and his industry more generally.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He’s under every tweet I’ve ever looked at politically. Deletes the tweets that don’t get enough interaction for his collection book

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't he more "centrist" territory than left?

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just checked, yeah, he's the guy behind "52 times Britian was a bellend". That's proper twee fbpe shite. The left don't fucking want him.