Page 91 of 581 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141191 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,550 of 29008

Thread: Coronavirus Death Thread

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aye and you wonder if the normal workflow has been impacted by everyone isolating. Like less old people falling over, RTA's, etc.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arne View Post
    Anyone have any stats on total daily deaths in England per day. 2019 was 1400 per day, but it's difficult to find any data for now (Covid + everything else).
    https://twitter.com/alistairhaimes/s...722477056?s=21

What we’re likely to see is a lump where there wouldn’t normally be one, as deaths from seasonal stuff should reduce. But it’s a stretch to see the new lump being as big as the normal winter one. It is dependent on restrictions working, though.

It will be interesting to see what the seasonal impact will be. Early research points to there being some. Transmission is around 20% more difficult in warmer and more humid conditions - compared to 90% with flu, although that difference accounts for the lack of immunity against Covid.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going on holiday in England is presumably a non-starter as well if all the hotels/wanky holiday lets are going to be swamped and turning money away. Enjoy your garden lads.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So can I deduce from that Lee that the current lockdown will last at least 3 months?

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone have any stats on total daily deaths in England per day. 2019 was 1400 per day, but it's difficult to find any data for now (Covid + everything else).
    They've had to remove them from public access to keep the fearmongering from failing.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just tried to go to the Spar and/or Tesco Express up the road. Queues around the car park for both.

Fuck this.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    So can I deduce from that Lee that the current lockdown will last at least 3 months?
    I don’t know. I’m making the assumption that the reduction in demand only happens if the lockdown lasts for the duration of the analysis, which is to the end of June. Whether or not we get some sort of relief before then will depend on how widely we can test for active cases and legacy cases. The biggest limitation we have is not knowing if there are tonnes of people who get nothing worse than a suspected cold.
    Last edited by Lee; 27-03-2020 at 01:06 PM.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    I just tried to go to the Spar and/or Tesco Express up the road. Queues around the car park for both.

Fuck this.
    The people who stockpiled really did nail it.

Shower of shit obviously, but they're lolling through their Sugar Puffs now.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The people who stockpiled really did nail it.

Shower of shit obviously, but they're lolling through their Sugar Puffs now.
    I've still got enough food for a while but I wanted some bread and milk.

I drove into the car park and straight back out. I can't be arsed with that.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matt Hancock has it now. Have we all fucking had it?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Matt Hancock has it now. Have we all fucking had it?
    It just ties into what I was saying yesterday/whenever. Anyone still going about their daily business has no chance of avoiding it.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was one in/one out when I went to Co-op yesterday, but the line outside was about five people. I think I'll just pick odd bits up on my daily mooch rather than go near the big Asda for the duration. Fuck doing a half mile Moscow conga just for some ice pops.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've still got enough food for a while but I wanted some bread and milk.

I drove into the car park and straight back out. I can't be arsed with that.
    Whilst our supermarkets are like that, Lidl and Aldi are surprisingly quiet and fully stocked.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't tried going to a big supermarket yet as I thought they'd be mental. Thought the smaller shops would be alright though. Maybe it was just a bad time to go. If a lot of people are still working from home maybe they were going on their lunch break (as I was).

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be nice to get some stats from ze Germans regarding testing and the percentage of asymptomatic people given they do seem to be ahead in terms of how many people they test on a daily basis.

In terms of supermarkets, I go to the local Carrefour, which is of course a big one, and while the queues are quite large, the movement is generally quite fast. I'd say in the worst case I had to wait about 30 minutes which, while being a bummer, is not that bad honestly.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    https://twitter.com/alistairhaimes/s...722477056?s=21

What we’re likely to see is a lump where there wouldn’t normally be one, as deaths from seasonal stuff should reduce. But it’s a stretch to see the new lump being as big as the normal winter one. It is dependent on restrictions working, though.

It will be interesting to see what the seasonal impact will be. Early research points to there being some. Transmission is around 20% more difficult in warmer and more humid conditions - compared to 90% with flu, although that difference accounts for the lack of immunity against Covid.
    So, despite Corona, we are currently tracking below the 5-year average by a couple of hundred a week - that seems strange. Like you said, I guess large sample will produce a better result.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're seeing more Whitey's being denied access to supermarkets and stores here. #Racism

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, despite Corona, we are currently tracking below the 5-year average by a couple of hundred a week - that seems strange. Like you said, I guess large sample will produce a better result.
    We're not losing many lives to Coronavirus yet, so at this stage, it's not going to make a dent vs. 1,400 a day average and Alistair Haimes is a copper bottomed moron for thinking otherwise.

If/when we hit 700 a day his riddle will be solved.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the “we’ve all had it” theory, when are we supposed to have had it?

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Friday 28th February 2020 18.29 GMT

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds about right, I was coughing then.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Browning View Post
    Indeed. We really haven't it's just the risk to those of catching it who are still out there working goes up and up every day.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Browning View Post
    At any point between when it started and now. It seems very common to be asymptomatic and I think most of us have had a cough / fever over the last few months. Although nobody has said we've ALL had it.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My best advice for food wanters with the means to do so is spend a bit of that moolah that you're currently not spending on the pub/commute/any kind of social life on deliveries 2/3 times a week. Keeps you out of the supermarket and keeps local businesses going. A well chosen one will do a couple of meals reheated too.

Doesn't help with milk, I admit.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're not losing many lives to Coronavirus yet, so at this stage, it's not going to make a dent vs. 1,400 a day average and Alistair Haimes is a copper bottomed moron for thinking otherwise.

If/when we hit 700 a day his riddle will be solved.
    I think over the course of the year it’s quite possible that the total excess deaths number won’t be higher than four figures, in large part because Covid will do in people who were already going to be done in.

But a year on year measure like that used by Haimes, who can’t get his head around the idea that if numbers end up low it will be because we’ve spent months in hermitage, are useless at the moment.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    My best advice for food wanters is spend a bit of that moolah that you're currently not spending on the pub/commute/any kind of social life on deliveries 2/3 times a week. Keeps you out of the supermarket and keeps local businesses going. A well chosen one will do a couple of meals reheated too.
    As in takeaways? I'm not sure I trust them at the minute.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My cousin just told me his friend went to a big Tesco at half ten this morning and got back home at half one.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't find a single local business (which I assume is what Jim's referring to) that has any capacity to take new orders currently.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My cousin just told me his friend went to a big Tesco at half ten this morning and got back home at half one.
    He'll be riddled with it now.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As in takeaways? I'm not sure I trust them at the minute.
    Yeah. I trust them as much as I trust the loaf of bread on the supermarket shelf which has been fingered by Doris down the road 14 times.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m planning on a mooch this evening and trip to the supermarket then. Hoping that by 7.30 - 8 when everyone else is clapping or watching tv I’ll be able to swan around and grab what I want.

Going between 9-6 is madness IMO.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you'd told people a month ago that they could opt to queue up an extra hour for their groceries in exchange for not having to go to work, I reckon the uptake would have been quite significant.

In regards to said shopping task, I've found a great tip that works for me is to reduce my masturbation time by said hour and value my free time realistically.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to the Tesco Metro at about 6 last night and there was no queue to get in and plenty on the shelves, including loo roll (!). That said, it has the key advantage of not having a car park and you can't really drive to it at all unless you are willing to park in a neighbouring road.

I'm starting to think I'm in an advantageous area for this re. suburban sprawl, if you live in a more self-contained town or city with countryside on all sides it's probably more of a nightmare.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wank in the queue and you'll finish both in record time.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was there a league table update @John_Arne cause I feel like we've surely gotta be in Coronas League places now.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    181 new UK deaths.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    If you'd told people a month ago that they could opt to queue up an extra hour for their groceries in exchange for not having to go to work, I reckon the uptake would have been quite significant.

In regards to said shopping task, I've found a great tip that works for me is to reduce my masturbation time by said hour and value my free time realistically.
    I'm still working.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That one extra death letting all the darts fans down.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still working as well but we've worked out (via Teams, how marvellous) that as soon as one warehouse worker gets it, they will all walk and the company will have to shut down.

Going into the office on Monday for my turn on the rotation, as it stands

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're all fucking 'working', that doesn't mean we haven't got 6 hours a day freed up to play with our mushroom as opposed to pretend to be working.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like those numbers. I know it'll take at least another week for the lockdown to have an impact but it still looks shite.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    I don't like those numbers. I know it'll take at least another week for the lockdown to have an impact but it still looks shite.
    Lockdown will do nothing for the deaths numbers for ages yet. Case numbers will turn first and that’s still a couple of weeks off.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Yeah. I trust them as much as I trust the loaf of bread on the supermarket shelf which has been fingered by Doris down the road 14 times.
    This is a great guide to Food Safety & COVID by a guy who knows what he's talking about.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luca View Post
    This is a great guide to Food Safety & COVID by a guy who knows what he's talking about.
    That's interesting. It seems to suggest that there have been ZERO transmissions through smearing (essentially shared surfaces) and also suggests that it's almost impossible to contract via food.

Can I get COVID-19 from touching or eating contaminated food?

there is currently no evidence that COVID-19 has spread through food or food packaging
    According to multiple health and safety organizations worldwide, including the CDC, the USDA, and the European Food safety Authority, there is currently no evidence that COVID-19 has spread through food or food packaging. Previous coronavirus epidemics likewise showed no evidence of having been spread through food or packaging.
    Aside from inhalation, are there other ways coronavirus can spread?

So, most transmissions must just be down to people sneezing and coughing on each other, and each others food. Dirty lot.

The German Federal Institute for Risk Assesment (BfR) reports that it is also possible—but unlikely—that the virus could be spread through "smear" infection. In these cases, a healthy person would touch a contaminated surface with their hands—say, a can of soup, a touchscreen ATM, or a subway turnstile—then transfer the virus to their eyes or nose. There have been no known cases of this method of transfer,

Senior Member Alan Shearer The 2nd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See with the NHS sending out letters to 1.5 million vulnerable people in England, can anyone help me on what's supposed to happen in Scotland? Only just found out these ones were England only as thought my dad was going to get one.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A possible 12 years in prison

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are being told not to wear masks unless you have the virus or are spending time with someone who has the virus.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like my old man has it. NHS 24 says they’ll contact in 48 hours for further testing or something if he’s not improving.

His work supply the car parts for Emergency Services and there’s 50 odd blokes in and out the place all day going everywhere. No surprises

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A possible 12 years in prison

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In related news, Michael Barrymore is playing the Strike it Lucky board game against random people via Instagram. Someone with that try getting on and asking him about the pool thermometer.