Page 84 of 581 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134184 ... LastLast
Results 4,151 to 4,200 of 29008

Thread: Coronavirus Death Thread

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Germany are still unbelievably low as well. There's something about this virus, something very significant, that we just don't know yet. I'd put money on it.

Fuck knows what though.
    The Germans aren’t attributing every death with it as death from it. We are.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every country has a different approach to lockdowns, quarantines and the reporting of the numbers. France don't report the deaths in care homes, for one thing.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want hundreds a day by mid-April or I'm looting Thornton's.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    The Telegraph reported that twenty thousand with two thirds of them would have died this year anyway, presumably just so niko could bask in it.
    There are now no numbers I can see that would suggest we'd have got to anything like 250,000.

Wasn't worth the risk of chancing that, but it took Italy completely unaware and I can't see how they'll get close to even 100,000. They'd have to post the same number of deaths every day until August to do so now. I'm not even sure they'll hit 50k.

I guess the US may show us how deadly it really is.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That temporary hospital in London is absolutely fucking massive

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    Hang on a second, doesn't it take weeks to see the benefits of any action? Don't throw the towel in yet lads. You might still get your mass death. Also, let's not be crediting 'action taken' with any palpable 'results' at this stage either. Two weeks ago we weren't even thinking about sailing the oceans or whatever the term is.
    There's no towel and I'm genuinely hoping the numbers are as promising as they appear. Especially now people I care about have it.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Germany are still unbelievably low as well. There's something about this virus, something very significant, that we just don't know yet. I'd put money on it.

Fuck knows what though.
    Most German cases are in the south, and it has forced the Bishop of Rome to allow people to talk to the man upstairs in their own homes. We've got a Protestant virus on our hands.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuck knows what though.
    There was some chat going on at work the other day that there are two distinct strains and one is MUCH more virulent. If true it may be that the more virulent strain took more of a hold in Italy than it has here.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuck knows what though.
    Who knows what’s real coming out of any country?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There’s room for the numbers to get far worse yet. And they will. This is a case of hoping they’re not as horrific as we feared.

The reporting of this is something that needs looking at after all this is done though. The expected number of deaths in the UK this year is something like 630k. So a touch over 1,700 per day. Imagine reporting that every day on the news. In fact, imagine what the fuck it would do to our psyche if they just reported daily winter flu deaths, with the same warning that ‘you’re more likely fucked if you’re old, but it kills 30 year olds too’. We’d go fucking mental.

I understand that this is different, and a bit of fear in the population is probably no bad thing while we try to control the outbreak. But there might be other knock on effects too. Like once we open up the pubs, presumably in the summer, are people really going to flock to them? Or go to supermarkets in the same way? In the same way we’ve rightly decried morons carrying on in recent days and weeks, we are going to have plenty of people uneasy about returning to normal afterwards. And this is likely only wave one.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, hello, we are the Vallance Boys
    Hello, hello, you'll know us by our poise
    We're stood in the queue six feet apart
    But can still go outside
    For we are the Patrick Vallance Boys

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Ian Webly Singing Section has been furloughed.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://grapevine.is/news/2020/03/24...19-in-iceland/

What a great name for a publication.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That slogan they're using is straight out of the Deadly Dom playbook. Lol at all the morons trying to blame this on him the other day.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    There was some chat going on at work the other day that there are two distinct strains and one is MUCH more virulent. If true it may be that the more virulent strain took more of a hold in Italy than it has here.
    There are definitely two strains, but scepticism about whether they’re so different that one is any more deadly than the other.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Who knows what’s real coming out of any country?
    True.

And this in China is a complete piss take:

Second, the empirical integrity of the numbers has been repeatedly questioned; just a few days ago officials in Hubei revealed that they didn’t count asymptomatic positive cases or those that didn’t require hospitalisation.
    To the point where I reckon they've just chucked that in to keep what they've actually done out of the spotlight.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it usually 12c at night in March? Coronavirus really is incredible.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I understand that this is different, and a bit of fear in the population is probably no bad thing while we try to control the outbreak. But there might be other knock on effects too. Like once we open up the pubs, presumably in the summer, are people really going to flock to them? Or go to supermarkets in the same way? In the same way we’ve rightly decried morons carrying on in recent days and weeks, we are going to have plenty of people uneasy about returning to normal afterwards. And this is likely only wave one.
    I doubt there will be much of a lasting societal change in those regards, people like shops etc (although this is one of those things where it is hard to steer a steady course between end of days and lol wot virus?), but I would say it is worrying quite how bang up for a bit of authoritarianism a large slice of the population appears to be.

And the lingering doubt will always be that the Madagascar fuckwits now have the default response position.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After will be the same as before. You'll have your Yev's and you'll have your Waffs.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least 4 of the deaths reported today happened at the weekend. I don’t know if that necessarily means our reporting is crap or responsible for the smaller UK number tonight (presumably in Italy and Spain there was sometimes a lag awaiting test results, post-mortems, family being informed) but worth keeping in mind.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Team Panic to disband by April.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least 4 of the deaths reported today happened at the weekend. I don’t know if that necessarily means our reporting is crap or responsible for the smaller UK number tonight (presumably in Italy and Spain there was sometimes a lag awaiting test results, post-mortems, family being informed) but worth keeping in mind.
    Well that might explain a fair bit. Given the timings over announcements (which always seem to be after the press conferences) I'm not sure there isn't a bit of presentational adjustment going on too, but also appreciate that people have more pressing matters to be dealing with.

As for going out again, it won't change anything I do. If it does, the virus wi.. Just fucking with you all. It won't change anything because I'm already gagging for a draught lager and the first one back out is going to be the best pint I will ever have in my life. I'm also going to drink it in a pub garden, even if it's -5 at the time.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post

And the lingering doubt will always be that the Madagascar fuckwits now have the default response position.
    if we'd actually gone Madasgar back when this thread started we'd have had a lot less pain, and being an island, we could have done it much easier than most.

As for authoritarianism, it obviously sucks arse for 99% of the time, but I maintain it's quite useful during a pandemic.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll give up most of my civil liberties if it means we can have sport back to normal.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that might explain a fair bit. Given the timings over announcements (which always seem to be after the press conferences) I'm not sure there isn't a bit of presentational adjustment going on too, but also appreciate that people have more pressing matters to be dealing with.

As for going out again, it won't change anything I do. If it does, the virus wi.. Just fucking with you all. It won't change anything because I'm already gagging for a draught lager and the first one back out is going to be the best pint I will ever have in my life. I'm also going to drink it in a pub garden, even if it's -5 at the time.
    It will be because hospitals all report into the centre independently. We are already running well below normal staffing levels due to self-isolation and reporting this stuff is a bit of an after thought. We still have to report all the usual stuff and lots of organisations have lots of different reporting systems so compiling it is likely a pain in the arse for the DH too.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in NYC and my wife works in a small office with 4 other people in a Wework. She has been working from home nearly 2 weeks and has had what I would describe as a shitty cold (runny nose, slight aches, very mild cough) and we thought nothing of it and have been isolating like everyone else.

However, 3 out of her 4 colleagues have been tested and have Coronavirus. The other one is off the radar (probs dead?) so we are assuming that she has it. Considering I have spent nearly every second of the day with her for the last 10 days in a 700sqft apartment it's pretty likely I have it too, right? I have absolutely no symptoms - I did mention in the predictions thread when Offshore tried to off me that I'm invinceable and it's proving right. Or... It's incubating in me and I'll die a slow death soon.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I'll give up most of my civil liberties if it means we can have sport back to normal.
    I’m all aboard the play behind closed doors train now having turned my nose up at them at the start of this. I’m even missing MACCA, for fuck’s sake.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to properly OD on that first night of freedom. But it'll save me from having to end it myself given the fucking levels this move to refund my season ticket will have backfired.

"Ooo yeah it's gonna be months of this "

Fuck off, you imbeciles, you know how much I love a train.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The amount of time when I was younger that I could be successful and end up having to work in one of the biggest cities, living that dickhead life.

Never has small town suburban mediocrity felt so good.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I'd live off gruel and water if it put my holiday in June back on the table.

I could do with it really. My waistline has taken this shit hard.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I'm in NYC and my wife works in a small office with 4 other people in a Wework. She has been working from home nearly 2 weeks and has had what I would describe as a shitty cold (runny nose, slight aches, very mild cough) and we thought nothing of it and have been isolating like everyone else.

However, 3 out of her 4 colleagues have been tested and have Coronavirus. The other one is off the radar (probs dead?) so we are assuming that she has it. Considering I have spent nearly every second of the day with her for the last 10 days in a 700sqft apartment it's pretty likely I have it too, right? I have absolutely no symptoms - I did mention in the predictions thread when Offshore tried to off me that I'm invinceable and it's proving right. Or... It's incubating in me and I'll die a slow death soon.
    I'm no medical expert...but I'd be astounded if both you and her hadn't caught it. So I guess well done to your immune system.

On the subject of catching it, do essential workers basically have 100% chance of catching it? The chap who works in my local co-op, for example, how has he got any chance of avoiding it?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fucking with my summer holiday is the most depressing thing about this for me so far.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cruise ship that docked in Sydney has led to community transmitions on the Sunshine Coast.

Here we go!

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I'm going to properly OD on that first night of freedom. But it'll save me from having to end it myself given the fucking levels this move to refund my season ticket will have backfired.

"Ooo yeah it's gonna be months of this "

Fuck off, you imbeciles, you know how much I love a train.
    It will still be months, as we still don't have an exit strategy that's based on anything significantly more than hope. Might be a bit less death than expected though. But also might not be if our numbers are days behind and the Germans are frigging theirs.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The official update is caveated:

‘Please note that this update does not cover a full 24 hour period.’

Well that’s fucking useful.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fucking with my summer holiday is the most depressing thing about this for me so far.
    It's my 40th in July and I was planning to go balls deep in renting a properly nice house for family and friends to spend the weekend together in. So being a leading member of Team Panic has saved me that ballache at least as I held off from booking it.

Still, spending my 40th hosting a Zoom chat sounds like about the worst thing in the world, so that's probably the most depressing thing for me so far. Sort of hope it stays that way, but I've reconciled myself to the idea of a big wank sufficing instead of a party now.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm no medical expert...but I'd be astounded if both you and her hadn't caught it. So I guess well done to your immune system.

On the subject of catching it, do essential workers basically have 100% chance of catching it? The chap who works in my local co-op, for example, how has he got any chance of avoiding it?
    We could get tested I suppose but what's the point? Just clogging up the system with people who aren't exactly ill and also living here, we have no car so would mean Uber/subway to get there infecting everyone we see if we do have it.

I would also be surprised if we don't have it and I'm surprised I don't have any symptoms but if what they're saying about 50% of people having it then I'm actually the majority?

Will update if she/I begin to feel worse but we are lucky that what is going on is very manageable.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That and my kids have done me in. Our holidays are typical family oriented, All Inc affairs. My daughter loves them, she has the teddies, the clothes and constantly asks for YouTube videos of Bamse and Captain T on tv so she can dance to it. She remembers past holidays and promises of future ones.

That's bad enough, but she's 4. She is old enough to understand that we (probably) can't go on holiday, but has no idea what is going on. My wife made the mistake of telling her that a bug is going around, and now she thinks that she can't go on holiday, to nursery or next door to see her friend because of a spider or a fly. Theres no explaining it to her.

We get all the tears, sadness and boredom but with none of the understanding. I don't think there's a worse age it could have happened to her at.
    Last edited by Spikey M; 25-03-2020 at 11:21 PM.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The official update is caveated:

‘Please note that this update does not cover a full 24 hour period.’

Well that’s fucking useful.
    Indeed. Until we know the real one then there's not much that can be read into anything regarding our position.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would accept a spider going around being a reason for me not being able to go away more readily than this bastard.

A big part of the problem is that it doesn’t feel real. If it stays that way I’ll be grateful.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed. Until we know the real one then there's not much that can be read into anything regarding our position.
    Unless they’re hiding 400 bodies we are still a bit further than 2 weeks behind Italy. The not really knowing (which extends to case numbers and asymptomatics) is fucking hideous. As is having no real idea of timeframe. If they just said ‘look it’s going to be about 6 months inside’ I’d be fucked off at being robbed of a summer but at least I can absorb it.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    We could get tested I suppose but what's the point? Just clogging up the system with people who aren't exactly ill and also living here, we have no car so would mean Uber/subway to get there infecting everyone we see if we do have it.

I would also be surprised if we don't have it and I'm surprised I don't have any symptoms but if what they're saying about 50% of people having it then I'm actually the majority?

Will update if she/I begin to feel worse but we are lucky that what is going on is very manageable.
    I haven't read the study on 50% of people being asymptomatic, but I struggle to comprehend how it could have been carried out on a large enough sample size anywhere in the world for anyone to be sure about that. A load of people have definitely had no symptoms though so you could be one. Are you very fit?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bit personal.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    That and my kids have done me in. Our holidays are typical family oriented, All Inc affairs. My daughter loves them, she has the teddies, the clothes and constantly asks for YouTube videos of Bamse and Captain T on tv so she can dance to it. She remembers past holidays and promises of future ones.

That's bad enough, but she's 4. She is old enough to understand that we (probably) can't go on holiday, but has no idea what is going on. My wife made the mistake of telling her that a bug is going around, and now she thinks that she can't go on holiday, to nursery or next door to see her friend because of a spider or a fly. Theres no explaining it to her.

We get all the tears, sadness and boredom but with none of the understanding. I don't think there's a worse age it could have happened to her at.
    This sounds awful. Truly a white man's For Sama

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would accept a spider going around being a reason for me not being able to go away more readily than this bastard.

A big part of the problem is that it doesn’t feel real. If it stays that way I’ll be grateful.
    Yeah, despite utterly absorbing myself in everything I could consume on it for weeks (or is it years?) now, it only started to feel properly real over the last 24 hours when people I know started to get it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    This sounds awful. Truly a white man's For Sama
    *Mixed Race mans For Sama. Thankfully I've had no difficulty in sourcing Okra or Yam.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bit personal.
    I need some material for the 40th.

But beyond that the only people I've heard about with no symptoms are sportspeople and Idris Elba. The former are obviously fit and the latter could probably nut Ebola into submission.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the minute it staying that way basically means don’t take anybody from either of our immediate families. Anybody else is a bonus.

My self-isolation is done now. Back in tomorrow. I have one meeting, at 9. We’re doing it on Teams. But it’s essential I’m there, in this building where 4 people have died of it and countless others have been in contact with it.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My G

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you get it you really need to give it to your boss.