User Tag List

Page 351 of 581 FirstFirst ... 251301341349350351352353361401451 ... LastLast
Results 17,501 to 17,550 of 29008

Thread: Coronavirus Death Thread

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is lockdown, vaccine effect won't kick in for a few weeks.

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at that new variant soar. Helpful graph to illustrate how much more contagious the new south east variant is compared to its counterpart/s.

Source: ONS

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't there also an element of it just being the dominant one now?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, sorry that was my point on how it's dominated the previous strain, which has kept it relatively low in comparison.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last graph for the night from me. Interesting seeing that the excess deaths in 2020 didn't significantly change for the 15 to 44 year olds. Quite a wide age range so thought it might be higher. Obviously grim reading for the older generation.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get the wife back tomorrow, haven’t laid eyes on her since the day after new years.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Society really ought to just cull everyone on their 45th birthday if COVID-20 is gonna lead to this shit.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Society really ought to just cull everyone on their 45th birthday if COVID-20 is gonna lead to this shit.
    Covid 20 gonna do it for us brother.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-55709428

It's all very shit, but what are they expecting here? Nobody is going to accept less than the maximum they can get.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The UN, WHO and all multinational bodies fail for this exact reason. 200 holier than thou types sitting in Switzerland dreaming of a fair world that exists in their heads, rather than the one that actually exists.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a point that we're only as strong as our weakest links so we do need to redistribute at a point in the near future.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't see a single leader telling the public that they're going to sacrifice some of them to protect poor foreign people. Whether it makes sense to do so doesn't matter, it would be career ending.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That offers a good out for us who don't want the bad press with rejecting the vaccine.

"Why should I have mine before the 80 year-olds on the West Bank have had theirs."

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matt Hancock is isolating again. 10 days locked in the understairs toilet. Poor bastard.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    I can't see a single leader telling the public that they're going to sacrifice some of them to protect poor foreign people. Whether it makes sense to do so doesn't matter, it would be career ending.
    Sorry didn't mean redistributing what is in possession today, more, we need to address the weaker points in the chain if we want to 'fully' eradicate transmission. That means at some point, helping the poorer nations vaccinate.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canada (and other nations) have ordered loads more than they need. I'd imagine some of those orders will be shifted out to other countries

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They can have all the surplus EU vaccines from Sanofi and Curevac in about 2035 when they're ready.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The stuff that crushes one's morale during this is when Matt Hancock sets the following tests for easing lockdown:

- Low deaths
    - Low pressure on NHS
    - Evidence of the vaccination programme working (!)
    - No new variant

1 and 2 can be done (albeit with a 6-8 week delay) by mass public behaviour, but 3 and 4 not a single member of the public has any control over whatsoever. So we're all at the mercy of complete luck. Starting to think they might keep us fully locked down for months and months - there is clearly immense pressure from Whitty et al to do this.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they keep this up much longer the suicide figures will go above the Covid ones.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently suicide rates haven't changed, still appallingly high.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suicide rates won't explode, the brainwashing and behavioural adaptation has had enough time to succeed now. People are happy to sit at home consuming endless shite on TV and watching their lives slip them by.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    The stuff that crushes one's morale during this is when Matt Hancock sets the following tests for easing lockdown:

- Low deaths
    - Low pressure on NHS
    - Evidence of the vaccination programme working (!)
    - No new variant

1 and 2 can be done (albeit with a 6-8 week delay) by mass public behaviour, but 3 and 4 not a single member of the public has any control over whatsoever. So we're all at the mercy of complete luck. Starting to think they might keep us fully locked down for months and months - there is clearly immense pressure from Whitty et al to do this.
    3 should take care of and be proved by 1 and 2, but 4 is fantasy land.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What should happen is that as soon as the deaths/NHS pressure recede he should start gradually lifting restrictions, for reasons of basic liberty if nothing else. There is no reason to be in lockdown other than to preserve the ability of the healthcare system to treat people.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matt Hancock is isolating again. 10 days locked in the understairs toilet. Poor bastard.
    He’s getting to isolate for less than a week. How’s that work?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waffdon View Post
    He’s getting to isolate for less than a week. How’s that work?
    This happened to my wife. It's 10 days from the date of last contact, so if he saw them last week and they got a positive test today then Matty Boy only has to isolate for 3 days.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Suicide rates won't explode, the brainwashing and behavioural adaptation has had enough time to succeed now. People are happy to sit at home consuming endless shite on TV and watching their lives slip them by.
    So what's changed?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't set a timetable for this yet, but I can see myself edging ever closer to cracking on with life and accepting the consequences of that. I won't be Donning it and attending an illegal rave in Somerset, but if a mate I've known for 30 years who I trust completely to tell me if they have symptoms (I know this is far from a fool proof way to avoid spreading it) wants to come round for a beer in my garden or living room then I don't think I'm too far away from doing so.

Vs. the severity of the virus this has gone on for far too long, clearly nowhere near enough people at risk are doing as much as they should be to avoid catching it, our own systems of care are the leading vector of transmission anyway and living much longer like this isn't worth it vs. the almost miniscule increase in risk transmission I'd be causing if introduced some vaguely sociable things into my life.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also thoroughly sick of the assumption that 'I've' continually broken rules being plastered front and centre everywhere I look.

Take this article on the lockdown rules. I was actually looking for it an hour ago to see what the rules were on meeting anyone and I'm presented with a stock image of a hoodlum being carted off by the rozzers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52530518

For 10 months I've almost entirely abided by the rules and also lived in a way that doesn't break the spirit of what we're trying to achieve even if there isn't a rule that covers it, and I get that.

Absolute dog shit.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't see the justification for bringing this beyond the end of February especially if the rates continue to drop (of cases) and hospital pressure eases. They need to then go back to Tiering (and more in T2 or lower) with the view that summer is relatively Tier-less. I understand the pressure now on hospitals but you'd think with the case drop, increase in vaccination and improving weather, we'd be in a place to move out of this extended winter lockdown.

The BBC is trash. I don't know why you read it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yevrah joining Team Open The Clubs is the signing of the window. A massive coup for @Don. Top, top work.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all part of the message being set up not simply that the public should accept its share of the blame for the whole thing but all of the blame, Yev.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    It's all part of the message being set up not simply that the public should accept its share of the blame for the whole thing but all of the blame, Yev.
    We absolutely are to blame (if that's the right way to look at it and I'm increasingly of the opinion that it isn't) for this wave.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed but it's going to be used as an excuse to pretend the government being incompetent didn't happen.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There will be an enquiry into the care homes after this is all done at the very least. Dumping a load of infected people into literally the last place you want them was mental.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yevrah joining Team Open The Clubs is the signing of the window. A massive coup for @Don. Top, top work.
    Enough is almost enough.

If they'd listened to common sense in the first place rather than blindly following THE SCIENCE (not all science is equal chaps, who'd have thought it) then we may have had a fighting chance of keeping enough of this thing out to have led reasonably normal lives, but no, instead we went with absolute brain fart dirge like "viruses don't respect borders" and whatever else the Chinese puppets at the WHO were churning out to keep that dangerous, dangerous country happy.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The harshest critics of the government are literally all people who would be harsh critics of a Tory government anyway. If it was the other way round then the dynamic would be Tory supporters screaming at the Labour government for fucking up originally and thus denying us our liberty, whereas Labour supporters would be defending the government's record and blaming the public for not 'following the rules'.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hammer & Sickle in red with blood trickling down it super-imposed against a white background with loads of shadows of old people queueing for the cemetery.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Indeed but it's going to be used as an excuse to pretend the government being incompetent didn't happen.
    If we ignore not closing borders in February (which I get was a huge ask) and they get the vaccine roll out right, which they appear to be doing, then it makes up for almost all of the incompetence up to then as we'd have been in roughly the same position as we'll end up in anyway.

One can bang on about test and trace, but I don't think that works in a 'free' society, so even though the app was crap it probably made little difference.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wash-up report will be pretty easy to write and nobody in particular will get any blame. The first phase can be written off because the Chinese are scum and we 'followed the science'; all the whinges during it about protective equipment and preparedness were stupid; track and trace was a bust, although we have absolutely donned testing; the tier system is a good idea in theory; and I get the feeling nobody blames anybody for this New Variant madness.

The stupid shit has been stuff around schools and other day-to-day issues, which will more than likely be outside the terms of reference for any report.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which is fine. The blame game leads to nothing. Accept that shit happened and move on as soon as possible.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moving on as soon as possible is not going to happen if they keep us fully locked down into the summer, as now seems very likely.

America's shrug shoulders and carry on policy seems oh so attractive at the moment.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope we're locked down until at least June. It's suiting me perfectly at the minute for work and home.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fully locked down into the summer? Where are you reading that?

Absolutely no chance am I complying with the rules as they are now until July. No chance whatsoever. And there surely should be no reason to unless they know something we don't. Does this vaccine actually work?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Fully locked down into the summer? Where are you reading that?

Absolutely no chance am I complying with the rules as they are now until July. No chance whatsoever. And there surely should be no reason to unless they know something we don't. Does this vaccine actually work?
    They've been briefing today (softly) about 2 April being the aim to 'start lifting restrictions', so Christ knows when any meaningful lifting will happen.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see THE SCIENCE is saying that it'll take until summer for enough people to have had the vaccine for it to interrupt transmission in any meaningful sense.

Which is absolutely not what we need to wait for to begin opening things up again.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope we're locked down until everyone dies a lonely, painful, disease-ridden death and my taxes can stop subsidising theit fucking obese asses and their disgusting lifestyles.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stop ruing my holiday plans you arseholes.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    I see THE SCIENCE is saying that it'll take until summer for enough people to have had the vaccine for it to interrupt transmission in any meaningful sense.

Which is absolutely not what we need to wait for to begin opening things up again.
    They say that 10% of people have had Covid (or have the antibodies some other way) As of December. They're currently flying through vaccines at around 1,000,000 a week. They reckon herd immunity kicks in at 60% right? We're currently at around 15%.

Well... fuck.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Scotland they've said September.