Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    You’re too old for that.
    He's our Michael Jackson, leave him be.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not quite. Jackson got married twice. EDIT: I think. Unless the horrid looking nurse just had one of his test tube kids.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stay strong, Baz. These utter cretins have a deficiency of soul.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Calm snm
    I'm a twit

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    North v South en route. I'mma fuck you up, Lewis.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smjffy View Post
    North v South en route. I'mma fuck you up, Lewis.
    I'm going to need this post explaining.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toggle Spoiler

I tried to find it but four years ago I was a big dick and deleted ..... everything. All fun and games.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That should clear it up for Spikey.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We should turn it into a Royal Rumble and call it a covid party for the board.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lancashire being in the top tier but not having to close gyms is bordering on farcical. We're a tiny country and 47 different rule sets is never going to work.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see that as well as holding this Tory government to account and standing up for the people of Greater Manchester (we should really go back to the old counties - get on it Dom), Andy Burnham has found time to co-author with Gary Neville (who else?) a new plan to save the football pyramid.

Is there nothing else we can put Mr Burnham onto while we're at it? Climate change, perhaps, or the social care crisis?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this it?

Create a new regulatory body for football that is independent of the current structure of the game
    Decide on new ways of distributing funds to the wider game based on a funding formula and a fair levy payable by the Premier League
    Set up a new and comprehensive licencing system for the professional game
    Review causes of financial stress in the English Football League, including parachute payments and salary caps
    Implement governance reforms at the FA which are essential to ensure it is truly independent, diverse and representative of English football today
    Liaise with supporters' organisations
    Learn lessons from abroad and champion supporter involvement in the running of clubs
    Just waffle.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you accusing Gary Neville and/or Andy Burnham of spouting vague populist wank in a convincing tone that makes people think he knows what he's talking about but has zero actual substance underpinning it? Because that would be a very serious allegation.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure g.neviller is worried about Salford City when he involves himself in this but these sound sensible:

Decide on new ways of distributing funds to the wider game based on a funding formula and a fair levy payable by the Premier League
    Set up a new and comprehensive licencing system for the professional game
    Review causes of financial stress in the English Football League, including parachute payments and salary caps

I'm sure the detail is where the real disagreement begins.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Decide new ways of distributing funds to the wider game' is exactly what theyre doing Gary and no-one can agree. That's why you're writing the manifesto in the first place.

It's Hilary Clintons plan to defeat ISIS but for football.

It's been a while since I've seen that badboy. The first step of defeating ISIS is defeating ISIS Can't believe she lost.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's literally no problem that can't be solved that way. She's a genius.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They rejected the benevolent Glazers, I'll relish seeing them all burn.

On that topic, I wonder if there are a band of well-run and financially healthy clubs actually hoping for the same too.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If county cricket is anything to go by (and it usually is) then the turkeys will vote for Christmas in the end out of desperation for immediate cash. In fact, when I say 'in the end', the EFL clubs were gagging for Big Picture already, weren't they, it's just that the PL won't let it happen.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have the Covid, which means this is just a cold and I'm a pussy.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shouldn't that be there's a 70% chance you don't have covid?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to come across as smarmy (sorry John) now...but... I went to Hanoi for footy last weekend, and this weekend it's basketball on Sunday followed by the Ho Chi Minh City Derby on Monday night.

You do wonder why the UK (and others) didn't look to countries that had been successful in fighting Covid (Thailand, S Korea, Taiwan, Japan, Vietnam). Granted, there's lot of variables to consider, but my god the UK looks a complete shitshow from the outside.
    Last edited by John Arne; 16-10-2020 at 02:11 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't look too hot from the inside.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because when this is over, we'll still have individual liberty, and Vietnam will still be run by a military junta.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arne View Post
    I'm going to come across as smarmy (sorry John) now...but... I went to Hanoi for footy last weekend, and this weekend it's basketball on Sunday followed by the Ho Chi Minh City Derby on Monday night.

You do wonder why the UK (and others) didn't look to countries that had been successful in fighting Covid (Thailand, S Korea, Taiwan, Japan, Vietnam). Granted, there's lot of variables to consider, but my god the UK looks a complete shitshow from the outside.
    Because that would require the UK to consider the possibility that it could have anything to learn from the likes of Thailand, S Korea, Taiwan, Japan or Vietnam.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the UK to do what Asia has managed would require mass, mandatory testing and quarantine on a level that a Western government just can't bring itself to do. There's hell on already about minor inconveniences. Imagine the response to a proper crackdown.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arne View Post

People do as they’re told in those countries. That’s the single biggest failing over this direction

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    For the UK to do what Asia has managed would require mass, mandatory testing and quarantine on a level that a Western government just can't bring itself to do. There's hell on already about minor inconveniences. Imagine the response to a proper crackdown.
    They could have done it in the first wave as the panic levels were sufficient. Then, had we taken in then Apple Track and Trace app we'd be in a much better position now. As we are, it's all fucked and there's an element of society that would go around spitting in each others faces if they were told not too.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We didn't have the testing capacity to pull that off, in fairness. One thing lockdown does seem to get you is a good couple of months of reprieve when you open back up. As it is, we're gambling the infections will stay in teenagers.

The North East seems to have calmed down in the last few days. I'm amazed we didn't go DEFCOUGH 3 today.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes sense, the economic powerhouse that is Vietnam couldn’t be matched. I mean they only have 30 million more people than the UK making testing everyone much simpler as well.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They never had the enlightenment there, never had Mill and Rousseau, never had Kant, never had the concept of individual liberty and they still don't. I didn't understand this until I worked for the Koreans. It's like comparing apples with oranges.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fucking hell Jimmy. Have a look at yourself in the mirror. You’re half way to being Ben Shapiro with shit like that.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Fucking hell Jimmy. Have a look at yourself in the mirror. You’re half way to being Ben Shapiro with shit like that.
    Which part of my post is untrue?

You're probably reading it like a bitter old sod up a mountain rather than in the way it was intended.

Like Giggles said, they do as they're told. The western liberal doctrine (mostly you in literally every other thread) tells us never to do as we are told.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You say yourself that you demure yourself to the government. What individual liberty do you have a concept of outside of deciding who plays for an amateur cricket team?

Pol pot who killed anyone who wore glasses.Were they killed for not knowing what individual liberty is?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure whether it actually explains their virus results, but what are you arguing here, that their cultures aren't drastically different and mental about all things authority/hierarchy? Because they quite clearly are.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    I'm not sure whether it actually explains their virus results, but what are you arguing here, that their cultures aren't drastically different and mental about all things authority/hierarchy? Because they quite clearly are.
    He said they didn’t understand the very concept.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a very strange non-sequitur of a response. What do my personal choices have to do with the presence of individual liberty where I live? If anything they underline it.

Confucian-derived societies, like many of the countries mentioned, are fundamentally set up to be collective and to cast aside personal freedoms in pursuit of the (perceived, by ruler) benefit of the whole. Western society rejects that and casts aside the whole in deference to the liberty of the individual. In a pandemic, they're going to do better than us, for that reason, because we're just not able, either on a psychological or an infrastructural level, to clamp down on individual freedom in the way that is required to stop a virus going round. On the flip side, in Vietnam there are one-party elections so if you live there you'd better hope the Communist Party knows what it's doing. You win some, you lose some.

There's a reason that nationalism rose up in the mid 19th century (and arguably today) in opposition to liberalism, because nationalism is uncomfortable with that individual freedom and it wants individuals to be fundamentally bound to a central idea, or flag, or whatever.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Western society rejects that and casts aside the whole in deference to the liberty of the individual.
    That’s your issue. Your original concept is based on a complete lie.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon the better bet is just some sort of in-built yellow resistance to certain conditions (not unlike their life expectancies). Every major epidemic ever has started in China, so why aren't they extinct?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    He said they didn’t understand the very concept.
    That isn't what I said, is it?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every major epidemic ever has started in China, so why aren't they extinct?
    Another just completely made up fact.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon the better bet is just some sort of in-built yellow resistance to certain conditions (not unlike their life expectancies). Every major epidemic ever has started in China, so why aren't they extinct?
    I agree with this. China, Japan and Korea are so densely populated but it hasn't blown through them.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't counting man-made things like AIDS. Other than those, every single one. FACT.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    I agree with this. China, Japan and Korea are so densely populated but it hasn't blown through them.
    Jesus Christ.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might also be why European 'success' seems to equate with historically living in squalor. Centuries of Germans and Danes and Southern Italians sleeping next to their pigs has given them super-immunity.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lads if you're going to clog up the thread with your shit can you keep the posts succinct? We don't need to be reading 'OMG' and 'Really?'. We need to be seeing #opentheclubs.

Ta.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worldwide it looks to me as if 'success' is based on a vague formula of population density/movement x how likely the population are to a) socially distance and b) be tracked and traced. We fail on all counts, as does the whole of the Americas except Canada; most of Europe is a disaster, too. Look at Belgium, movement of peoples champion, with nearly 1 in 1,000 dead.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you’re going to just go full racist on this then your theory falls apart with the Irish or have you got some weirdo conspiracy that just happens to perfectly align with your prior beliefs for that as well?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Irish have done about average, so maybe their pig contact was less intimate.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We’ve done fairly badly I thought.

47,000 cases and 1,800 deaths with our population is high I think vs other countries.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Covid is fuck all when you've survived a famine. Double hard bastard genes.