Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As they have been for the last 10.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are flu patients usually quarantined in hospitals? At least this winter, we know coronavirus is out there.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Won't it have offed half the people who would have been backing them up in winter?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    As they have been for the last 10.
    Yes, they already couldn't cope. It's going to be BAD.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    Are flu patients usually quarantined in hospitals? At least this winter, we know coronavirus is out there.
    Proven ones are in my experience, but I've rarely seen adults tested in the past because it doesn't change management.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Won't it have offed half the people who would have been backing them up in winter?
    What's the opposite of excess deaths? Insufficient deaths?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't part of the total up to now down to it catching a load of people who lucked out with the previous mild winter?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How great is our God!

hopkins poems list
    Last edited by Queenslander; 17-07-2020 at 08:46 AM.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the UK aren't on our green travel list when it's published I have no idea how they're going to manage that one.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    If the UK aren't on our green travel list when it's published I have no idea how they're going to manage that one.
    No idea either. You’re fine coming from NI so if you fly into Belfast or Derry then you can just do as you please. Not that it’s going to be policed - so what’s the point?

Talk of going back to phase 2 for Ireland sucks. We have a holiday in Mayo in a few weeks. 🙁

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, I didn't realise NI wasn't included. At least it makes it a bit more awkward though.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Borris needs to stop trying to convince employers to make their staff go back to the office. The fanny.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Borris needs to stop trying to convince employers to make their staff go back to the office. The fanny.
    It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. If it's not advisable to be in a supermarket without a mask (albeit that's obviously fine until next week) then how on earth is it advisable to cram a load of people back into offices that don't really need to be there yet.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is weird. I mean, I would be happy to go back to the office myself, I'm getting a bit bored at home. Some sort of split would be nice. But the company told us they don't want us back in until next year just last week. Whether they change that on the back of this latest communication, I've no idea.

I can only assume this is somehow tied in with getting us all buying shit again. I personally haven't filled the car up once in the last three months as I effectively, bar the occasional run to the shops or whatever, only drove to work and back. The amount of money I've saved by not buying my lunch everyday is significant too. Presumably he wants the tax from all that back in his pocket.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Copy and paste?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I forgot I even had a Telegraph account.

This was the week when the penny finally dropped. The prevalence of coronavirus may have collapsed across Britain, but we are not returning to our old, carefree ways for the foreseeable future. This will have immense, permanent consequences for our economy and way of life. Its most devastating impact will be on central London, which is facing an extinction-level event.

The Government’s mask-wearing edict shows that it remains terrified of a second wave, and doesn’t understand why, whether or when the virus will return. Its only solution remains a vaccine or a cure: prospects are promising, but it will be months at best before mass inoculations can begin.

It’s not just in Britain where neither the establishment nor the bulk of the public is prepared to live with the virus. California is shutting its restaurants again, Los Angeles and San Diego won’t be reopening schools, Melbourne is back in lockdown, Israel is in crisis, and masks will be mandatory in French public spaces.

For better or worse, neither West nor East will tolerate a resurgence in infections; they will hunker down again. There is apparently no other plan, no hope until we get a vaccine or cure. This über risk-averse approach will also apply to any major new virus: social distancing, masks and home-working are bound to be reintroduced each time a new infectious disease appears anywhere in the world, and even during significant flu seasons.

The implications will, in many cases, be catastrophic. The old order could have survived a once-in-a-generation government-subsidised hibernation, an extended Christmas holiday; it cannot cope with indefinite social distancing, and the threat of similar shocks every three to four years. We now face an excruciating period of destruction as malinvestment is purged, jobs are cut, debt is written off and resources are reallocated.

The private sector is already adjusting: many will delay the return to offices planned for September, regardless of official advice. Why move workers back if this will need to be reversed in November or December in the event of a second wave? The longer workers stay at home, the less likely they are ever to come back fully. I don’t know a single employer who believes they will revert to previous levels of office working. The interaction of the virus and technology will create a new class divide in Britain: those who can work from home, and those who can’t.

Until now, the most successful geographies were those that attracted members of the former category. Yet this is now a recipe for disaster: London’s economic and political business model has suddenly been rendered unsustainable, with office districts turned into ghost towns. The Greater London Authority, and Transport for London, its main asset, are, in effect, bankrupt, with nearly empty Tubes meaning fare revenues are in freefall, reliant on handouts from the Government. Devolution is over, de facto if not de jure. Sadiq Khan has accelerated his own demise by hyping the risks of public transport, but his likely reelection next year will mean nothing. His power – other than to infuriate his Tory minority in London by tolerating graffiti, hiking the congestion fee, shutting roads and cutting the police – has evaporated.

The private sector, for its part, is facing gargantuan structural losses: the economics of offices and retail is predicated on mass commuting and tourism. The former won’t fully come back; the latter will take a year or two. The arts, luxury, fashion, transport, hospitality, restaurant and many service industries face decimation. It’s a full-on biotic crisis: London’s economic ecosystem is suffering an immense decline in diversity. Lower-paid jobs, in particular, are being culled; the population could fall, with tens of thousands returning to Europe.

Ever since the Eighties, Britain has led the way in shifting its economy to exportable knowledge work, with an emerging London megalopolis cashing in on agglomeration effects and the increasing returns to scale from the clustering and networking of educated workers, entrepreneurs and firms.

In 1986, the Big Bang transformed the City; in 1988, Lord Lawson slashed the top rate of tax from 60 to 40 per cent; in 1991, Canary Wharf opened for business. Starting with Michael Howard’s time as Home Secretary, a crackdown on crime made inner London a safer place for the middle class. In the 1990s, Tony Blair massively increased immigration; and billions were spent on public transport, culminating in London’s population recently smashing its previous 1939 record of 8.6 million.

A few years ago, Bridget Rosewell, an economist, revealed how the capital lost 1 million, mostly manufacturing, jobs on radial routes in the suburbs over three decades and created 1 million, mostly high-value-added services jobs in central London. Suburban factories and offices became homes. Economic activity became hyper-concentrated in the centre. This model was seen globally as a triumph of renewal. There were risks: it was contingent on staving off urban decay, avoiding terrorism, making sure taxes were not hiked, ongoing vast subsidies to public transport, continued globalisation, containing property prices – and yes, avoiding pandemics.

As to the downsides: the rest of the UK failed to pull off its own transition, becoming addicted to transfers from London; and the capital’s culture shifted corrosively, becoming the epicentre of Remainia, Corbynite attitudes and intolerant illiberalism.

This is a moment of extreme danger for the economy, which faces a productivity shock if agglomeration effects cannot be replicated when workers scatter widely, but there is a way out. Boris Johnson must not seek to prop up bankrupt central London investors. Instead, he must allow the market to work, and encourage Tory heartlands – suburbia, exurbia and smaller cities – to hoover up London refugees, workers who no longer need to commute daily. New, more spacious, houses will need to be built, not just tiny city-centre flats, as well as a new generation of suburban or out-of-town flexible offices. We will need electric cars, not HS2.

It once seemed that levelling up was about making the rest of the country more like London – now, it is the opposite. Britain’s only hope is a suburban renaissance.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Death to Canary Wharf.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am from just outside London and I am I think the only one of my friends from the area who has stayed in the area, rather than putting the farm into buying or renting nice and close to the centre of London (either because their jobs are there, or they like the 'buzz', or they just think it's the done thing, or whatever).

I am pretty smug now, if I wasn't before.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The concentration of stuff in London is mental so this seems like good news to me.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That article is more than a bit doomsday prophet. In plenty of countries everything is almost entirely normal

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a theory years ago that you could 're-balance' things out of London by just ending railway subsidies (two birds, one stone). Put this onto the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity pile with shutting half the universities and flattening Leicester.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People don't use female because you end up sounding like Mahow.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Death to Canary Wharf.
    This.

I am from just outside London and I am I think the only one of my friends from the area who has stayed in the area, rather than putting the farm into buying or renting nice and close to the centre of London (either because their jobs are there, or they like the 'buzz', or they just think it's the done thing, or whatever).

I am pretty smug now, if I wasn't before.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by mugbull View Post
    That article is more than a bit doomsday prophet. In plenty of countries everything is almost entirely normal
    And on this, isn't every large city going to be undergoing this? It doesn't sound like something specific to London. It's a speeding up of the inevitable given technological advancement

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be very happy with a 2 day a month in office experience.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also nicely hides the fact that Brexit was starting to fist London anyway

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    This.

This.

And on this, isn't every large city going to be undergoing this? It doesn't sound like something specific to London. It's a speeding up of the inevitable given technological advancement
    Paris is on fire from protestors. Milan is full of people in suits drinking espressos. Geneva is full of Saudi ‘royalty’ on holiday. Everything seems pretty normal here.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think that was the whole idea of why (a lot of) people voted for Brexit.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    I'd be very happy with a 2 day a month in office experience.
    Hopefully companies outsource every job. Too many people get too comfy doing nothing from home. .

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like that this post could easily be in response to any of the three posts above it.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully companies outsource every job. Too many people get too comfy doing nothing from home. .
    My productivity's never been higher.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have live sport back on telly for the first time since. It may be low level stuff but it’s still glorious

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speak for yourself you lazy cunt.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speak for yourself you lazy cunt.
    Big nerve touched there

I’ve worked the whole way through this so I don’t know where you’re getting lazy from fucker.

Last edited by Giggles; 17-07-2020 at 07:12 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's only a joke fella.

Same here though. Actually finding myself running longer days at time because I can log in when I wake up and then still check emails until late. The disconnect is definitely harder.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The door is open.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People need tabs kept on them.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hire better people.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hire better people.

Ones that will go to work.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Proximity to the office doesn't = productivity. Maybe it does to dinosaurs like you. 😏

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn’t know with my current job. I can’t work from home or watch Netflix in work.
    Last edited by Giggles; 17-07-2020 at 07:27 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Top notch Dad.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IActually finding myself running longer days at time because I can log in when I wake up and then still check emails until late. The disconnect is definitely harder.
    I've seen far too many cases of people working long into the evening.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perfect storm of people being worried about their job security and easy access to their working environment.

Employers will bang home about health and well being but if someone wants to work for free they’re not going to turn it down.

I’m pretty disciplined in working really hard during my hours and then trying to switch off entirely after - emergency aside.

It’s a slippery slope into mental health issues.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People who don't value thier time will continuously get mugged off.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a haircut and played a game of fives today. Absolutely incredible scenes.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc View Post
    I've seen far too many cases of people working long into the evening.
    My manager once asked me to keep my phone on over the weekend because a troublesome 'customer' was kicking off as we were only open during his own working hours and it would 'only take 2 minutes' to sort out. It would have too. But that's 2 minutes of my time. So no.

I log on at 9, take an hour for lunch, log off at 5. Anyone working in their own time wants their head testing.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 35 hour week is filthy. I miss those days.