User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who Will CHeat Best This Year!

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tyrrell

1 25.00%
  • Ferrari

0 0%
  • Stewart

0 0%
  • Mclaren

0 0%
  • Toleman

1 25.00%
  • Minardi

1 25.00%
  • Jordan

0 0%
  • Sauber

0 0%
  • Haas

0 0%
  • Williams

1 25.00%
Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,650 of 2091

Thread: F1 2020 - Corona Virus Edition

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think at some point Racing Point will have a decision to make regarding how serious they are. If Stroll wasn’t the boss’ son, would he be in the car next year over Perez? Highly doubtful, I’d say. So if old man Lawrence keeps pumping the money in he’s going to want to see the results that justify his investment - but can that be done with Lance? How serious he is about challenging for honours will dictate whether he fucks Lance off for a premium driver.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As he was scampering off into a 20 second lead yesterday I was wondering if there had ever been a less 'deserved' race situation - a billionaire's son parachuted into the sport on the back of money, money, money, driving a car which the 'team' had little to do with in terms of development, having instead simply bought it off someone else lock, stock and cheaty barrell.

I suppose, in fairness, making it shit on its tyres (in general terms, or brilliant in the specific meta) was somewhat of an achievement.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stroll is bang average at best. Capable of driving a steady race in normal conditions, got a podium that way when others fell off the road, but beyond that he has nothing. Decent off the line is about the kindest thing you could say, ok in the wet, but his habit for turning into spaces that already have cars in them and blowing opportunities like yesterday should see him off the grid or paying for a backmarker drive. Honourable mention to him bowling over his jack-man and not even bothering to ask if he was ok.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    As he was scampering off into a 20 second lead yesterday I was wondering if there had ever been a less 'deserved' race situation
    Never forget, Race Winner - Pastor Maldonado.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t think there’s anyone in the world I could be less sympathetic for than Lance Stroll.

Imagine your biggest burden being ‘thrust into a life of a Formula 1 star’.

In an alternate universe where I could drive F1 cars I’d take the minimum possible salary just to get signed to the same team and then make it my personal goal to make him look as mediocre as possible every week.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    Never forget, Race Winner - Pastor Maldonado.
    When he was a pitstop ahead I tried to think if he would take Pastor Race Winner Pastor Maldonado Maldonado's spot as the worst winner of a race and I think he probably would.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still think Stroll has time to play with. It's weird to me how he smashed the European F3 Championship and effectively skipped a step in his development. I think Vettel did that but he's a very different driver. Maybe that's the problem? I can't imagine Lance going to his engineers and wringing every bit of info out of them. I don't imagine him concisely telling his engineers what the car is doing.

Damon Hill seems to like him so my hope is at 28 he suddenly gets some mad determination and a German nemesis.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maldonado's win was absolutely epic. Held off a menacing-as-fuck Alonso, on home territory, in vastly inferior machinery. One of the biggest outlier results I can think of and led to this all time great photo:

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think was Ginny Williams' last ever race as well.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Reading twitter and elsewhere, the mental gymnastics people will go through to do down Hamilton's achievements is genuinely insane. Do these people actually watch the races? Yesterday he was in about the 4th or 5th fastest car and absolutely pissed a 30 second win as his team mate drove around at the back.

I think there's a bit of soft racism in there as well as the bitter fury of Ferrari-leaners and others.
    Having looked today it really is astounding. Anything and everything is thrown up as an excuse as to why you may not dare mention his name.

I think what's set people off is his transition this year, in many ways. He's realised himself that he is the leader of the sport and that he can use his voice. The rest of the field let him live rent free in their heads so he's good there, so onto the off track issues.

Hand-in-hand he's sent the records tumbling this year on the track too.

Most I've seen though seem to take issue with his off track work, which if you get down to it, is him trying mainly to raise awareness of racism, amongst other things. There's only one real reason you'd have a problem with that.

Assuming he does decide to give it a few more years you'd be hard pressed to think he wouldn't get #8. I suspect there will also be a knighthood in it for him, though maybe not until he retires. One or both of these will likely send his haters over the edge.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an outsider/someone who cares not a jot about F1 I'd agree that there's racism involved in some of the criticism he gets and I hold no truck with that, but the bath in hipocrisy he took with all the climate change stuff was beyond the pale.

You can't lecture people about not caring about the environment while simultaneously engaging in what has no be the most environmentally unfriendly sport going - his carbon footprint alone must be akin to that of a reasonably sized town.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The absolute worst line of attack is the Monaco/taxes one, which was never levelled at good old Jenson Button, David Coulthard and all the other white drivers, so I'm not sure why Hamilton doing the same thing provokes so much fury. Well, actually, I am completely sure of why.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plus it's also bollocks, he pays plenty of tax on UK based earnings he just also earns money in lots of different countries. Monaco, like other tax havens doesn't tax him on those earnings through a withholding tax arrangement. Because, get this, he's already paid tax on it in the country in which it was earned.

The pollution aspect is intriguing, the impact of F1 will presumably all be in freight (most of which is pointless hospitality gubbins carted about by the teams) and people travelling to attending the race weekends.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The climate stuff is a bit off. He spent 10 years flying around in a private jet, whilst being sponsored by an oil company, then told everyone else to think more about climate issues. He's right, but he's also a bit of a hypocrite.

He does seem to get a much tougher time than good ol' JB and DC, although that probably comes with the territory of being a much better driver than them, and being a slightly darker shade.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right on cue, somebody has named LH the most influential black person in the UK, as a result of which 'Monaco' is now trending on Twitter.

We're talking thousands and thousands of people, here, possibly tens of thousands, absolutely boiling - hopping - with frustrated rage.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like for them to name someone more influential.

The very fact they're frothing over the latest tiny piece of 'news' about him surely shows how influential he is.

His biggest mistake was spending a few years pissing his time up a wall with the Pussycat Doll following him around.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhSDGA5nrzw popped up in my YT recommendations and I watched a bit of it yesterday. Two things struck me, the fact that it all fell apart so quickly in 14 (Rosberg was done the moment he lost that battle in Bahrain, the little mock tackle in park ferme afterwards is a dead giveaway) and that the Pussycat Doll was still around at that point. In my mind that was much earlier and the death of the HAM/ROS relationship took longer.
    Last edited by Disco; 17-11-2020 at 05:47 PM.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bahrain felt like the statement win for Hamilton. Old dead tyres against team mate on nice new softer compound and he still put him in his place. From then on you sensed desperation for Rosberg in every battle they had. Spain of the same year and Austria '16 stick in my mind for it.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rosberg winning the '16 championship is one of the great sporting injustices, even though he did have a strong year that year (others include Jenson Button being a world champion, and Stirling Moss never being one).

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't see anybody get after him like Rosberg did, in fairness.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think every race a British driver didn’t win should be wiped from the records as they were obviously undeserved.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking as a pro-tax avoidance racist, he deserves a knighthood as much as any other sportsperson (who should have to wait well into retirement), but between the wittering and making out like he fought his way out of a favela he just comes across as a complete fanny. I know everyone in Formula 1 is a wanker, but nobody ever had to justify not like Michael Schumacher. There is also a bit of NARRATIVE behind him now that grates, probably from people who spent a few formative years not quite chewing him off enough and now have to clumsily make up for it.

'He's brilliant, but...'
    'SINCE THE MURDER OF EMMETT TILL...'

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The latter thing is probably a point - quite a lot of people backed the wrong horse and the BLM stuff is either a convenient stick to beat him with, or a convenient excuse to start tonguing him if you hadn't been before. I'm on board with it, to be honest, if only because it's hilarious to see how much he lives in all their heads.

I'm more interested in the evolution of his driving, which initially was harem scarem genius talent, then lost its way during the blown floor era, then moved into being quicker than everyone once the hybrids came in, and now he seems to have abandoned the idea of pure pace (which once defined him) and spends the whole time Prosting everyone to death, which I wouldn't have necessarily seen coming even as late as 2014/15.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ronnie O’Sullivan has doubted the achievements of fellow Sports Personality of the Year contender Lewis Hamilton, saying “it doesn’t mean as much” when sport is not on a level playing field.
    Sit down, Ronnie. You're both ridiculous. Rashford's winning it anyway.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Albon

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quali starting now for those interested.

I watched the F2 race earlier and I thought both Yuki Tsunoda and Mick Schumacher looked the business, even though they didn't make the podium. Less sure about Mazepin.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stroll sucks.

What a shame that someone of Perez’s quality is fighting for his F1 life when he’s so much better than some of the scrubs we have on the grid.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tone on that 'Miscommunication... we'll speak afterwards' was nauseating. What did they tell you to do, Lance, drive slowly?

There are some absolute chumps on this grid and some excellent drivers (Vergne, da Costa, Vandoorne come to mind) off it.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing about those excellent drivers is they're good enough to land on their feet elsewhere. This might be it for Stroll.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Daddy didn't buy a whole F1 team to see his baby boy turfed out for someone called Cheko.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    14.10 race start out of the random clock generator this week.

Looks like procession city to me though. Hamilton is so superior to the rest of the field through turns 9 and 10 that the rest of the lap is basically irrelevant. He takes a good 3 tenths out of Bottas there every lap.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh shit. That fire ball.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never expect to see them go up like that.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck me, that looked horrible. Hope he could get away from there.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looked fucking horrible.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jesus Christ, I've never seen a car go up like that in 25 years. That was like something from the 70s.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fucking hell. Ripped his car in two

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fucking hell he’s lucky he wasn’t torn in half with it. Didn’t think they would go like that.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck me. He’s lucky to be alive.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was fatal in previous eras. I can't see them being able to restart the race.

How on earth has that happened?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if something went wrong on his car. The way he darted in front of Kvyat didn’t look right.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fucking hell. The shot of him basically legging it from the fire is something else.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand how it shears in two from that impact.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow that replay was quite upsetting to watch. Thank god he’s okay.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by John Arne; 29-11-2020 at 02:36 PM.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Easy to say now, but that barrier sticking out at that angle, so close to the track, does look a bit silly.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frig. Big question marks about the barriers there.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking that John. Surely the access road being parallel to the track is safer.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was basically François Cevert's crash at Watkins Glen in 1973, but with modern safety. Incredible escape.