User Tag List

Page 7 of 85 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: The Travel Thread

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dquincy View Post
    Wouldn't recommend Norway for a stag do. My wife is half Norwegian and, whilst it's a lovely destination, the high £££ when you're there may be an issue.
    Cheers. It has since been booked for Brussels.
    I'm a twit

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Cheers. It has since been booked for Brussels.
    Nice choice.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Free with Norwegian.
    Really.... nooice.

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never bloody works for me though.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me and a few mates are booking a long weekend in Amsterdam for mid-May. The original plan was to go from Stockholm to Copenhagen via Gothenburg but one of the fuckers couldn't make the dates we'd arranged to make it as cheap as we had so we've switched to the more simple trip. To be honest the Sweden-Denmark think would probably be better as a break with Lauren than a lads thing.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is this cunting storm coming in just as I'm going to be taking off? Some bastard is taking the piss out of me.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are Talinn and/or Helsinki worth a visit? As I've said in here I'm considering Reykjavik, Copenhagen and Stockholm at some point this year, and Estonia and Finland look to be reasonably distanced to fit in and visit too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard Tallinn is very nice, and it looks incredibly picturesque in the photos I've seen.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fucking wind out there now. Bastardbastardbastard.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck me that was a shit take off.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wifi on here is quality, very surprised by that. Probably e nicest budget plane I've been on as well. Not too happy with all the attendants being strapping Norwegian blokes though. Just starting to get dark wherever we are now. Be great to see the northern lights on the flight.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where's good to go in the UK which is accessible by rail and fairly green/leafy?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tromso is outstanding, guys. Yesterday was up there with the most enjoyable days of my life. We went on a tour of some of the Arctic landscape which was stunning. Hot chocolate in half metre deep snow on top of a frozen lake, driving through avalanche corridors (you could see the fallen trees from avalanches of the last few weeks, and huge mounds of cleared snow), Eagles and Reindeer in the wild, seas frozen solid, and best of all a brilliant display of northern lights last night. This place is well worth a visit.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Norway in general sounds spectacular. It's still on my list, but I'll need to earn a bit more money before I can afford a proper trip there.

On that note, has anyone here been to Zagreb? I'm going there next week for three days and have some vague ideas about what to do, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it bonkers expensive for everything? @Lee

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScousePig View Post
    Are Talinn and/or Helsinki worth a visit? As I've said in here I'm considering Reykjavik, Copenhagen and Stockholm at some point this year, and Estonia and Finland look to be reasonably distanced to fit in and visit too.
    Both are nice especially during the summer. You could easily do both in less than a week too. Tallinn is really small though, but much cheaper for food and drink than Helsinki.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Is it bonkers expensive for everything? @Lee
    The cheapest pint I've had cost £7.50 and I've been drinking at a tenner a pint tonight. That said, everything else is within what I'd call 'budget'. You can eat well for less than £25 and prices in most shops are comparable to the UK. Beer is significantly more expensive though.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pen View Post
    Both are nice especially during the summer. You could easily do both in less than a week too. Tallinn is really small though, but much cheaper for food and drink than Helsinki.
    Would May be a decent enough time to go?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Serj View Post
    Norway in general sounds spectacular. It's still on my list, but I'll need to earn a bit more money before I can afford a proper trip there.

On that note, has anyone here been to Zagreb? I'm going there next week for three days and have some vague ideas about what to do, but any suggestions would be appreciated.
    I spent one night there a few years ago. It was decent but I didn't get to see a great deal. The iconic church and cathedral were very nice and their nightlife is good.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would May be a decent enough time to go?
    Yeah, most definitely.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I visited Brighton today, because why not. Hippies and yoof everywhere, but that aside I liked it. Seems to have a sense of why it exists, which is unlike many UK cities which seem to exist purely to have retail parks on their outskirts. Add the fact that it's not full of bastard northerners and you're onto a winner.

It's keeping kiosk manufacturers in business, at any rate.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm almost convinced I want to, in the face of spiraling debt and extreme money pressure problems, go to the Algarve to stay with my aunt and uncle for a week in September. Flights can be had for £148 a pop from Manchester.

The issue is it's in Manchester. This would involve driving down the night before, staying with my sister then paying for long term parking anyway because she won't be able to drop us off or pick us up.

Glasgow is £215 a pop and at utterly ridiculous fucking times (7AM!). Fuck sake.

EDIT: Adjusting by a day or two can drop the price to £158. However it means staying for 6 days or 8 days. And the times are miles better.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok changed to October and flying out of Glasgow and back to Prestwick drops it to £450 including a single 20kg bag there and back plus cabin luggage.

Benefit of that is normal take off/landing times we can now probably get lifts from relatives.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to Finland in July last year. Absolutely loved the place. Helsinki is a really great city. Weather was stunning too. Appallingly expensive though. A drink (they do 400mls rather than 568ml pints) was often upwards of eight Euros. Ruinous.

Off to Antalya and Alanya in Turkey in October for a week - for free. All the kebab is mine.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me and three friends who've applied to McGill (one got in and the other two should hear soon) are looking at going to Montreal over spring break. Legal drinking age of 18.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just come to England. Legal drinking age is 18, but it may as well be from the moment you are de-wombed. Plus, we have loads of great places like Grimsby, Scunthorpe and Bridgwater which are deffo worth a visit.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely gutted to be leaving this place today. It's stunning. Husky-sledding was brilliant, even better than seeing the lights which was obviously great.
    @Spoonsky - If you enjoyed Reykjavik you'd adore it in Tromso.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunge View Post
    I went to Finland in July last year. Absolutely loved the place. Helsinki is a really great city. Weather was stunning too. Appallingly expensive though. A drink (they do 400mls rather than 568ml pints) was often upwards of eight Euros. Ruinous.

Off to Antalya and Alanya in Turkey in October for a week - for free. All the kebab is mine.
    You've been drining in wrong places then (although I agree that it is expensive here). Beer 'pints' are usually 0,5 and they cost between 4 and 7 euros. Nice to see Helsinki is liked here

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With regards the prices in Scandanavia: is everything really expensive or is it just extortionate when drinking/dining out?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eating out wasn't too bad price-wise in Tromso. About £65 for a meal for two including soft drinks and dessert. I'd pay that at home.

I only went to three pubs in Tromso and 400ml was about £6.50, so significantly more expensive than in the UK. I had a couple of pints in one pub, one for about £9.50 and another just over a tenner.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eating out isn't that expensive. Ten pounds will get you a decent meal any time of the day and a good lunch is around 7 or 8 pounds. A 'pint' in here will cost something between 3 and 8 pounds depending what and where you drink.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything in Iceland was expensive.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonsky View Post
    Everything in Iceland was expensive.
    Americans would find the U.K. Expensive so god forbid when the go to Norway.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Booked tickets to Montreal, then we're going down to Boston and flying home from there. It should be pretty fantastic, I've never traveled with friends like this before. All suggestions are welcomed.

We're getting into Montreal the morning of the Barcelona-Arsenal second leg.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Broke a bone in my foot and strained a ligament while playing five-a-side on Saturday, so my Zagreb trip is off.
    But it looks like they're going to let us move the reservation to April, so at least the money isn't wasted. Was really looking forward to going there this week, though.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No more Euros tickets for me unless I can nab some in the general 'fastest finger first' portal.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What happened?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What happened?
    I applied for more, specific, tickets in the 2nd ballot and wasn't successful.

Shame. But still got 5 games to get get potentially terrorised at.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought you meant that you'd lost the tickets you already had.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought you meant that you'd lost the tickets you already had.
    That would be a disaster.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just booked 5 nights in Barcelona for the end of the month

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone ever been to Olhao in southern Portugal? Found a pretty sweet package deal there for our honeymoon in July. It seems like a less busy version of Faro, which is up the coast from it.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've booked 6 nights in New York for next January. I think we'll knock Rome in late summer in the head for this year as there is a possibility of a week in Hong Kong next March which I'll need to save my leave for. Ideally I'll push that out to April though. Amsterdam at the end of May will be booked as soon as my annual leave is approved.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJay View Post
    Anyone ever been to Olhao in southern Portugal? Found a pretty sweet package deal there for our honeymoon in July. It seems like a less busy version of Faro, which is up the coast from it.
    I didn't get to Olhao but if it's like the rest of the Algarve you'll love it. Probably my favourite summer destination. We are planning to head back in summer '17.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't get to Olhao but if it's like the rest of the Algarve you'll love it. Probably my favourite summer destination. We are planning to head back in summer '17.
    Nice one. From the pictures it looks fairly standard Algarve sounds like that's a good thing. Cheers Lee. The only slight issue is the beaches are like sand spits (is that the right term?) so you have to get a ferry out to them it seems. Not a big deal really as we can just plan our days out properly.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amsterdam booked for three nights from May 19th. I should think I'll be pissed for much of it but for those more lucid periods what do people recommend I do/see?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mother has booked us - us being me, her, my girlfriend and my old man - into Disneyland Paris for five days in September. She's been bordering on obsessed with the place for years now, which sort of made sense when she was among a group with at least some children, but this is probably taking it to a new extreme. Still, I got flights for under £100 which will be my only major expense, so I can't really complain.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amsterdam booked for three nights from May 19th. I should think I'll be pissed for much of it but for those more lucid periods what do people recommend I do/see?
    Van Gogh museum
    Canal tour/boat trip
    Hire a bike
    Go to the red light district - it's grotty as fuck, even just walking around, but it has to be seen

Great city, even if you're not completely munted the whole time

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I can get flights to Amsterdam from Dundee for 2 of us return for £121 in September. Pity I'm skint as fuck.

EDIT: Where are you staying Lee? And are you going with Lor?