User Tag List

Page 6 of 85 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: The Travel Thread

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't Norway really expensive for alcohol? Doesn't seem like the best idea for a stag do.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're going to be in the area of Nice I have to give a plug for Vence. Lovely little hill town near the Italian border. It also has this cool Matisse chapel, though we missed that when we were there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    He doesn't use filters mate, it's a film camera.

That reminded me I need to look for mine.
    I touched on this in the WDYTOE, but are you turning into me?

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    Oslo would be expensive. Try go somewhere in Germany.
    Stuttgart, Hamburg or Dusseldorf? (these are the only three sub-£100)
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stuttgart is a massive red light district if your mate is into that crap. I went there for my mates and it was decent enough, few bars about and bit of a buzz even though it's sleaze. Also has the biggest brothel in Europe...

Düsseldorf is an industrial town and reckon it'll be shite. Hamburg is supposed to be pretty good.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonsky View Post
    I touched on this in the WDYTOE, but are you turning into me?
    I have been getting progressively whiter.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think any other flight comparison websites challenge Skyscanner, although I've been told Google now accesses better info regarding transfers so may become superior for long-haul stuff. You'll definitely be paying a premium once you get to Norway so if budget is a major factor it's probably not the best bet even with the cheaper flights.

EDIT: Whoops. New page. Hamburg is nice, or at least I thought it was when I was there ten years ago.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you save on cheap flights to Norway you'll pay out once you buy the first round.

Dishoom's alright. I think it depends when you go - if it's earlier in the week it'll be better/less hassle.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Who's dream is to go to fucking Sarajevo? "You know where I've always dreamed of going Magic?" "The Balkans? Yeah me too, Eastern Europes so glamourous in February! I'll book it now" *sighs* *shoves some spare change in the underwear drawer*
    Slovenia and Croatia are perhaps the two most beautiful countries I've visited.

Why Sarajevo, @Magic? I've been to Mostar in Bosnia but that's all. My cousin went through Bosnia (she recommended Mostar) and wasn't all that impressed with Sarajevo.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Other than Paris which cities are particularly worth seeing in France? We're planning a trip there later this year but thinking to only spend a few days in Paris and instead look around a bit more. Lille and Lyon look quite nice but I've no idea if there's anything interesting to see or do in them.
    I stayed in Nice for a week (which is quite nice) and went along the south coast to Monte Carlo, Antibes, Cannes and a few smaller places. I didn't go as far as Marseille.

I can't remember Lille as I went as a teenager.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Other than Paris which cities are particularly worth seeing in France? We're planning a trip there later this year but thinking to only spend a few days in Paris and instead look around a bit more. Lille and Lyon look quite nice but I've no idea if there's anything interesting to see or do in them.
    I saw you've since switched your route, but Beziers, La Rochelle (and Il de Re) and Cognac were all good small towns to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    Dishoom left me underwhelmed.

Has anyone been to Sicily? I'm doing my honeymoon there so any good places to visit would be nice to know.
    I went to Trapani for a long weekend with the missus a few years back and it was really nice. Maybe a bit small if you're planning to stay there for a week or so, but the food was absolutely brilliant and there's a decent selection of good restaurants and the town itself is cosy and pretty. I would definitely go again. I did get stung by a jellyfish whilst there though.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me and the missus did the planning and booking early this year as due to her new job (and thus lack of vacation days) we already know when we can travel together. We're pretty sure we'll book Berlin and München for April and May and the Copenhagen for a long weekend in September for my 30th. Oslo, Venice and the Balkans were other places that we would've wanted to go, but the first two got ruled out by the fact that with the money we would need to spend when we got there we could have a much longer and better holiday elsewhere and the Balkans were ruled out by the fact we don't really have a long enough time this year when we could go there and visit the places we want to see.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post

Why there? That should probably serve as some sort of bottom for you, a crystalising moment after which all is changed.
    To see if there were any UK holiday tips. If you sift through most of the mental there's actually some alright stuff on there.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScousePig View Post
    Slovenia and Croatia are perhaps the two most beautiful countries I've visited.

Why Sarajevo, @Magic? I've been to Mostar in Bosnia but that's all. My cousin went through Bosnia (she recommended Mostar) and wasn't all that impressed with Sarajevo.
    Can second that, the Dalmatian coast is fantastic. Mostar itself was a very nice place to visit with the river dividing the town between the Christian districts and the Muslim district but both are equally welcoming. A recommendation round that area would be crossing the border into Montenegro which is another lovely looking area, especially around Kotar and around to Budvar, whilst also being ridiculously cheaper then the other countries as they simply accept any currency.
    Test.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A quick look around on the Eurail website suggests Paris - Amsterdam - Frankfurt - Munich - Venice - Florence - Rome would be a serviceable route. Probably a bit more rushed than I would like but if we like what we see anywhere we can always go back for longer another year. The rail links between Italy and the south of France appear to be - who would have thought - laughably bad compared to those originating in Germany.
    If there's any way you can slip Slovenia in between Munich and Venice I'd recommend it, as the scenery is stunning. You can hop on a bus to take your over the border from Nova Gorica to Gorizia in Italy, and get the train down to Venice.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellberg View Post
    France is great, just avoid all the shit waste of time cities. Get off at Calais, drive an hour or two down the road to Normandy, then Paris, then just head down south where it's best. Vichy on the way down is beautiful (temporary capital during WWII, so there's a fair bit of history too), then hit Bordeaux, Nice etc in and around the south coast. Driving through the Alps is a must, too.

You'd be better off doing Europe though, obviously. More to see. Munich's a brilliant city. I'd probably spend more time in Germany and less in Italy. Just skim the top of it with Venice and Milan and then make your way back up through France.

Have experienced the rail down that way when I used to work there. Once caught a train from Barcelona to, I think, Argeles in south of France. I was grey come the end. Shit across the board tbh. If you and the missus can drive, do it that way. Adds to the experience, but will become a bit tiresome if you're the only driver (I'd had enough coming back up through France). If you do drive make fucking sure you nip into the Austrian Alps. Stunning. And obviously there's the autobahn
    Nah. Rome, Florence and the areas around Sorrento (Vesuvius, Pompei, Amalfi, Positano, Capri etc.) shit on Milan and Venice.

Though I do love Germany.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking to head back to England in Aug time, need to start looking at prices. Will be going to England visit people, then to Dublin then Edinburgh. After that a trip to a resort somewhere on a island near NZ or in Asia.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonsky View Post
    If you're going to be in the area of Nice I have to give a plug for Vence. Lovely little hill town near the Italian border. It also has this cool Matisse chapel, though we missed that when we were there.
    I mentioned most of the cities and towns I went to when I was in south France, but there's a nice little fishing village called Villefranche which is worth a couple of hours of your time if you're passing through.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My friend has just suggested Copenhagen for his stag. Cheap flight, expensive booze

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're a few texts away from booking Brussels.

Almost had Stuttgart booked but a few sly digs have cancelled those plans.

Brussels good for two days of non-stop booze?

And are there actually any clubs there (with girls) or is it all just pubs with Belgian beer in? It's a mixed crowd, you see.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll get places to drink good beer but for a night out? Don't think so. Might be worth going to Antwerp. Little place but decent nightlife.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'll be proper boss lad.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    I've not been yet - will be going this summer as I'm at a wedding somewhere in the Gers (near Toulouse). Will probably come back via there to London.

Stuff:
    Natural History Museum
    Barbican (the Eames exhibition they have on now is ace)
    Go to Shoreditch / Boxpark
    Spitalfields market
    Go to the Tate Modern
    Broadway Market
    Transport Museum
    Somerset House
    Brick Lane

Bars:
    Strongroom
    Craft Beer Co.
    Hat & Tun
    London fields Brewery
    Ye Olde Mitre
    De Hems
    Old Red Cow
    The French House
    The Cittie of Yorke
    Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese

Food:
    Dishoom
    Meat Mission
    Franco Manca
    Caravan (King's Cross)
    East Street
    Look mum no hands!
    Ozone Coffee Roasters
    Nice one, cheers.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re: the discussion upthread.

Rome is amazing. I can't stress that enough.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScousePig View Post
    If there's any way you can slip Slovenia in between Munich and Venice I'd recommend it, as the scenery is stunning. You can hop on a bus to take your over the border from Nova Gorica to Gorizia in Italy, and get the train down to Venice.
    We won't have time sadly, even that route I posted is probably pushing things a bit tight as we'll probably only be away for 11-12 days. Three or four of those will have to be in Paris as well as she is meant to be running a (probably half-)marathon.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even just passing through on the train should be good, on the Jesenice to Nova Gorica route. But yeah you'd need to mess with your schedule.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Re: the discussion upthread.

Rome is amazing. I can't stress that enough.
    It's the only foreign city I've visited as an adult, but I want to see it again almost as much as I do anywhere else for the first time. Beautiful place.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stag do is booked for four days in Brussels. Could be a lot of "tactical chundering."

Also, travel-related, I've just had a cheque for £563.82 in the post, because I complained about the five hour delay coming home from Majorca.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When are you going to be in Brussels?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently in Paris on my way to Hong Kong. I don't trust these Frenchies or Chinese one bit so let's see what happens.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pit them against each other. The French are still on high alert for another month.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just over two weeks until Norway. I can't wait. Got all our spending money changed today, trains and hotel at Gatwick sorted. Just a couple of (fairly easy) weeks at work to get through.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why did you go to Paris?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like he's just transferring there.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's going from Taipei to Hong Kong via Paris?

I agree it sounds like that but it seemed a bit implausible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assumed he had been home and was heading back out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was home for Christmas and had a 2 stopover journey from Manchester to Taipei. It was strange because it worked out not only the cheapest, but also the fastest at 17 hours.

I was right to be untrusting, as somewhere along the line my suitcase got smashed into pieces.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've booked plane tickets and an Airbnb for London in July.

Tower Hamlets here I come.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thatsthejoke.jpg

I am looking forward to it though. We've stayed in North London previously but I think this will be a little more, how to put it, interesting. I think I've adopted Lewis' view on Camden by this point. The house is in the middle of Mile End Park which doesn't look so bad from the comfort of Google Maps.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I meant you coming to this country.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That flat I stayed in in Camden was amazing. The area itself was like the back half of Threads, but that flat...

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should thank me for lowering the proportion of Muslims.

I'm expecting a kickabout as well.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    That flat I stayed in in Camden was amazing. The area itself was like the back half of Threads, but that flat...

It was while taking this photo that I realized you were right.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm doing a fucking tour of France in the summer. Bordeaux, Lille, Brussels (not in France), potentially Paris, Lille again, back to Paris, Cannes and then Marseille.

/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is somebody holding you against your will?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's pretty much nothing to do in Mile End, but it's not a bad area and well connected to the centre.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck me, gale force winds for Gatwick on Monday. I'm going to die during take off.

The plane has wifi so if I do make it above cloud level I'll be live blogging my three hours of terror on here.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wifi on planes is a rip-off. It's usually $10-$15 per hour, I found.

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Trying to sort out a stag do. Ideally the flights will be as cheap as possible so more people will go. I'm thinking like £90 max, return.

Just used SkyScanner for the first time, putting random stuff in I got this:

That's seven people flying directly to Oslo from Manchester, and back again, for £48 each?

The flights must be between Friday 22nd July and Monday 25th July, although in ideal world we'd fly home on the Sunday. Preferably from Manchester or Liverpool airport.

So a) is Oslo any good for a stag do where the sole intention is a night out (ie not paintballing/zorb football/etc.) and b) Is there anyone else within the suggested budget anyone can recommend for me to look at? Also, what other websites should I check out?
    Wouldn't recommend Norway for a stag do. My wife is half Norwegian and, whilst it's a lovely destination, the high £££ when you're there may be an issue.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arne View Post
    Wifi on planes is a rip-off. It's usually $10-$15 per hour, I found.
    Free with Norwegian.