Page 33 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,650 of 4234

Thread: The Travel Thread

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh dear.

Landed in Seville at 00:10 or something. I guess I had booked the hotel and the flight some time apart, because I've clearly seen the arrival date of 21/05 and booked the hotel from then.

Rocked up at about quarter to one and my asking for the room in my broken Spanish was met with a lol m8 try again tomorrow.

Wandered about for half an hour, everywhere is booked to fuck obviously. Found some 2* place with some old geezer at reception and he has a room.

The hotel, the old guy and the room itself are very strange. It's actually fairly nice but there is definitely something amiss. I have many questions. Either way my girlfriend is murdering me in my sleep before anyone else can get to me.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha, been there, done that before. They didn't have an extra room to put you up for the night?

That one extra night in India cost me more than the next 4 nights following it combined. But I was hardly going to start wandering the streets at 2am to find another place.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah but India, mate.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    Booked in for the Sunday. Maybe see you there...

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you enjoy it?

We did it and it was pretty good except when they wanted to show us old Warsaw in Praga. Praga is where all the destitute, lower welfare and criminals were rehoused by the Communists so it's a bit rough. We got out of the bright pink van and the guides were like "take everything with you, this might not be safe". We walked into their courtyard and they basically told us to fuck off and we made a swift exit. Burly piss heads and us turn up for poverty tourism. Mental.

Otherwise, Warsaw is great. The Stalin building is an amazing artefact of the time and the rebuilding of the old town is stunning. We went to a couple of cool places and then a strip with clubs on which was basically Newcastle. As a place though, in the summer like now, it's great and dirt cheap.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man I love Cádiz.

Seville was lovely but I had the shits the whole time so that unfortunately dominates my memory of the place.

Cordoba was very good. The Mezquita is one of the best things I've seen. It was fair week while we were there, the fair itself was a bit shit; just rubbish stalls, shit food and 16 year old Josés getting pissed up. There was some mad evening long procession featuring 2 fuck off bulls pulling a huge Jesus cart around town with 100 odd horses in tow.

I wasn't that enamoured with Granada. The free food is good obviously, and most of it is pretty tasty, but nothing special. You get a free tapas with each drink, obviously you'd be a fool to decline, so you just end up stuffed by half 9. The city itself isn't anything special and I thought the Alhambra was a bit overrated.

Cádiz is the one though. Everything is pretty, it's got a pleasant bustling atmosphere, there's no massive squads of Japanese mums (key), and the food is all brilliant at no great expense.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mezquita > Alhambra is a correct, but all too rarely encountered opinion.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    Did you enjoy it?

We did it and it was pretty good except when they wanted to show us old Warsaw in Praga. Praga is where all the destitute, lower welfare and criminals were rehoused by the Communists so it's a bit rough. We got out of the bright pink van and the guides were like "take everything with you, this might not be safe". We walked into their courtyard and they basically told us to fuck off and we made a swift exit. Burly piss heads and us turn up for poverty tourism. Mental.

Otherwise, Warsaw is great. The Stalin building is an amazing artefact of the time and the rebuilding of the old town is stunning. We went to a couple of cool places and then a strip with clubs on which was basically Newcastle. As a place though, in the summer like now, it's great and dirt cheap.
    Yeah, it was good thanks. Our guide was Lukas (or whatever the Polish spelling of Lucas is), who was essentially cracking jokes the entire time while sometimes giving too much of his own political opinions.

When we got out of the van in Praga, we were basically milling around the sidewalk while he was talking. There must have been about 10 angry looking and obviously drunk people squeeze through us while we were standing there, each with bottles of beer in their hands. Had what I can only assume is a very authentic lunch in the milk bar in Praga also.

I know it's an original-ish Nysa van, but god does it need air conditioning.

Tonight's my last night here (5 nights total, probably 1 or 2 nights too many), and I've managed to get through with 250GBP while eating very decently.

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post

Cádiz is the one though. Everything is pretty, it's got a pleasant bustling atmosphere, there's no massive squads of Japanese mums (key), and the food is all brilliant at no great expense.
    In my experience, it's hardly ever Japanese. Chinese and Korean are abundant, but very very rarely elderly Japanese groups.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They were definitely Japanese in Granada. I probably should have generalised though.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the public water bus.

Christ it's slow, I'm looking longingly at every speedboat passing us easily.

Edit: Hit a 20 kmph zone \0/.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just had a bit of entertainment, a geezer just smacked his baby's head on the boat ceiling. The chorus of 'oooh' that reverberated in the cabin was great.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So yeah, Venice is a bit pointless.

Impossible to get around effectively (3 and a half hours from landing to get to our hotel which is pretty central in San Marco) and it's such a fucking tourist hotspot. So many dickheads trying to sell roses and drag you into a restaurant. It's also incredibly easy to get lost.

Christ knows how we're going to get to the train station tomorrow, would probably be easier to just build a pedalo and get into the canal.

Did go to a nice little 'trattoria' which was half the price of most other restaurants and almost all tourists were just walking right by.

Had some seafood antipasti platter which was lovely then tried some spaghetti with mixed seafood and then a stunning black cuttlefish risotto which was heavenly. I've never 'got' Italian food until tonight. Did help that all the seafood was perfectly cooked too.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who are you with?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arriving in Venice after midnight with the ex, only for both our batteries to die whilst looking for the hotel was...eventful.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Felt the same in Florence. Full of tourists milling about and ultimately it's all geared to that.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    San Marco square is pretty cool though and I did like walking past the Basilica knowing that I climbed it on Assassin's Creed 2.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boat to the train station was so much better than the one from the airport. It was nice to be out on deck to see everything.

Pizza at the station is damn good too.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lithuania today. First holiday I've been on with people who I'm not related to. Only three nights so hopefully I don't despise any of them by the time it's over.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mahow nobody wants to read your fucking holiday diary you sick fuck.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Train is heavily air conditioned, it's fucking lovely.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellberg View Post
    Arriving in Venice after midnight with the ex, only for both our batteries to die whilst looking for the hotel was...eventful.
    When we went at Christmas, we arrived just as it was getting dark and there was possibly the thickest fog I've ever seen*. Luckily I'd been before, otherwise it would have been really tricky finding the hotel.

I wasn't fussed about Venice in the summer, but really liked it in the winter. Much less touristy and smelly, as you'd imagine. I loved Florence though and didn't see as much touristy stuff as other people suggest.

We've booked five nights in Nice when we break up. I like places which have a mix of being by the sea but also plenty of sights/places to see.

*Landing you couldn't see the runway until you were about 10 feet from the ground.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    Mahow nobody wants to read your fucking holiday diary you sick fuck.
    Half an hour later:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    Train is heavily air conditioned, it's fucking lovely.

Did Venice smell of poo, Mahow?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a whiff of stench but it wasn't as bad as I thought. A few degrees higher and I reckon it could have been horrible.

Trieste looked lovely but I only stayed for about 10 minutes after hoping off the train and onto the bus. I'd go there before going back to Venice.

Rijeka is also so much better, there's a much more relaxed vibe around the place as it isn't being rammed by tourists. Had a lovely baked octopus stew and Croatian pasta (like super thick spaghetti, it's really doughy which I like) with steak and truffles.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did it follow you to Trieste?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to push that being a RACIST jab at Italians.

Disgusting behaviour, Magic. I hope Italians bans you.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I'm just imaging you with bits of baby octopus legs sticking out of your beard.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went to pick up a car in Rijeka today, booked a VW Passat or similar and it was obviously changed.

Surprisingly it was actually a good change. Got given a Volvo S60 with less than 3000 miles on the clock and it's a really nice car.

Stopped in Petrcane in a stupidly set up hotel. Parked the car, then walked down 2 flights of stairs to reception, then walked back up 2 flights (which can only be accessed via reception) to the room. The car is just outside of our room and can be seen as soon as I step out. Which makes the stair walking really fucking annoying.

Drive down was amazing though, the E65 is the nicest road I've driven on. Right by the sea and you're driving on winding mountainous roads. It's great to see all the little islands just to the side as well.

I did spot Magic's wife on the way down too:

Toggle Spoiler

Working the road like a true pro, although she could have shown her wares to bring in more punters, the lazy bitch. Doubt the kickboxer would approve.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't know Mahow was so close to me. We're in Split today having worked our way down from Pula in the past week. The National parks and Rovinj, Rab and Zadar have all been really good and the rest haven't been bad either, well apart from the night I spent throwing up after a food poisoning. All the cities are so small and close by you end up seeing a shitload of places. We're off to Vis in the morning.

If you're coming to Split Mahow, make sure to grab something to eat at Vill Spiza. Great food and quite cheap. Well worth the half an hour wait for a table.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going tomorrow.

In Skradin today.

Went to an amazing restaurant by the marina today and had loads of great fish. Waiters and owner were really nice too and they set up a really nice apartment for a discount. Walked round and the place is a little gem, so many amazing old buildings including some houses that are from the 14th century.

Going to get an early boat to the Krka national park tomorrow (which looks stunning), stay there for a few hours, get lunch at a restaurant that barbecues whole pigs and then off to Split.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Krka was pretty great, but the food looked shit and/or with a good tourist extra slapped on the price too. Go in early as it will get ridiculously packed by the afternoon. Swimming next to a big waterfall was boss though.

Oh, and Villa Spiza was so good we went again tonight and it was even better.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mahow (or any of you) if you go to Dubrovnik make sure to take the tram up the top of the mountain for the sunset. It's stunning.

Dubrovnik was so expensive though, holy fuck. Worse than anywhere in Italy. I spent a couple hours in Split and it seemed nice. Accidentally saw the Prime Minister at a rally for a mayor candidate (with no security at all, incredible) in that amazing square with the Sphinx.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took a boat to Krka. Only got to see Skrandinski Buk which is the waterfall at the very bottom of the park. It is genuinely stunning and coupling it with a nice cheap ice cream (about a pound for one scoop which was about the same size as 3 in the UK).

Only stayed an hour or so as we had to move but I'd happily go back and spend a day walking around the whole national park.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toggle Spoiler

It really was stunning.

As was the whole pig that was roasted. We went to a little village restaurant that had no menu.

For starters there was only a local soup and then it's either roasted lamb or pork ordered by the kilo (the woman gave us 1.2kg) with chips and salad.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got interviewed for a Japanese tv-show today at the harbour in Split. Big in Japan

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The palace is amazing.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As is the whole place, my feet are killing me though as I walked round the town so much.

Was enjoyable eating mini doughnuts with nutella sauce right by the harbour. A drunk local pissing into the ocean about 2m away from me, less so.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pen View Post
    I got interviewed for a Japanese tv-show today at the harbour in Split. Big in Japan
    Happened to me in Tokyo, but I don't think it aired at the time they told me it would. Small in Japan.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today has probably been the best day of the trip so far. We hired a private boat for the two of us to take us around Vis and the surrounding small islands for the day. We swam in beatiful beaches and caves and went to an old Yugoslavian military base for boats. Only negative thing was that I got stung by a jellyfish, again

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vis looks great, I wanted to go but we didn't have enough time sadly.

We decided to go near Prapratno beach but it the areas were a bit small but we did see the walls of Ston and have an amazing fish lunch on the sea in the town of Broce. The waiters would take your order, then get the shellfish needed from traps in the bay and take them to the kitchen, completely fresh.

Ended up going to a place called Lapad just outside of Dubrovnik.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/hr/apa...s=1&#hotelTmpl

Two bedroom apartment with a private pool just outside of Dubrovnik for just Ł100 a night. We'll be staying here until we go as it's fucking brilliant.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Considering basing myself in Split rather than Zadar later in the year after reading this thread.

The little one will be coming with us so I'd want to base us in Split and still do day trips to Zadar and some of the islands. Is this realistic do you think with travel times? We'd probably be there for a week but wouldn't want to travel much more than 2 hours each way to places for the day.

Any recommendations?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zadar might be a push, it's about 2 hours there in a car on a good day I found.

Split is a great hub to go to islands though.

I also wouldn't go to Hvar unless you're prepared to pay. The guy who owned the small hotel we stayed at in Split said it's a proper money grab. 55 Kuna for a pint (about Ł6.50) over there.

You could also go on a little day trip to Solin as it looks amazing.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah seems like theres a decent amount of things to do nearer Split so probably wouldn't bother with Zadar.

Ł60 return flights in September

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hvar is beautiful though. Certainly compared to split, which is a bit shit.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to spend time on the islands Split is the better choice for a 'base'. I preferred Zadar myself, but it is much smaller and you don't have that much to do there. From Split you could do the islands (Vis and Korcula were amazing in particular) Zadar, the nature parks and maybe Trogir (was ok) in a week. The landscape here in Korcula were probably the best I've ever seen. Alsowe only stopped in Hvar for a few hours, but it isn't as expensive as Mahow was told. Wasn't all that great either unless you're into clubs and such.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Split's decent, and definitely a good base. When I stayed there I went to Hvar and a day trip to Mostar in Bosnia which was well worth it.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are going to Mostar tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to that and Bosnia and Montenegro in general. Still debating wether or not go to Podgorica just for the qualifying game. Would be cool to see Montenegro-Armenia, but getting there and back is a bit of pain.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Omg everyone stealing my perfect holiday tho

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went to Bosanka today for dinner to a tavern as it had good Google reviews. Didn't realise that you need to pre-order the sucking pig 3 hours in advance so had some mixed meat grill thing. The restaurant though was on top of a mountain and driving up/down was proper brown trouser stuff. Stunning views of Dubrovnik though as it completely overlooked the whole old town.

Also went into Dubrovnik old town for an hour or so after. I can see why people rave about it but it wasn't made for unfit people like me, steps/stairs everywhere. Will go back in tomorrow but for a good while, will shed fucking pounds.

It's also pretty damn expensive in Dubrovnik ofc. Just over Ł4 for 250ml of Coke Zero at a bar.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had to make a big snake my beta cuck bitch today in Ston. We were walking from Ston to Mali Ston on this really long (a mile or so) wall when I noticed a snake there slithering away. I had seen a few already, but not on the two feet wide footpath. I started taking stomping steps towards it to guide it away from us and for the next 20-30 meters thats how we went down in a queue before the ultimate showdown where the snake threw itself off the wall as a sign of defeat.

We're now in Mostar and it seems very nice and cheap at first glance.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going to Madrid for a couple of days, not sure what to expect. Any tips? Got a couple of day trips to Toledo and Segovia on the itinerary, as well as a few of the obvious museums/parks, but not sure aside from that.