72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    Any tips for travelling alone? I want to do a few city breaks on my norman. I know some of you have done this, having never really done anything on my adult own, like ever, it's a pretty fucking huge step for me but one I need to take.

I want to stick to Europe initially, and will be waiting until after BREXIT.

I will have a week or so in Portugal with my daughter in the summer and aim to take her to London for a few days to see a show, just in case you think I'm being a cunt.

Wikivoyage/wikitravel (I think the former is the better one) and the search function of the 4chan travel board archive. Hostel bars are good for finding strangers to chat bollocks to. They usually do private rooms if you can't hack the dorms.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trying to book my honeymoon for the end of the year, went to four different travel agents today and they were all either useless or really not interested in helping.

We want to fly to New York for four nights, then fly to the Bahamas for a week all inclusive, then fly to Miami for a few nights before flying back home.

We'd rather go through a travel agent so we don't have to shell out all the costs ourselves up front but the travel agents didn't seem interested. The only one who vaguely wanted to help was Kuoni.

Annoying.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate, leave the early 90s.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why through a travel agent? You could always try through Expedia to make it all happen. This trip has been all self booked and it's not been overly difficult.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeh I can’t imagine going to a travel agents these days.

Fair bit of travel lined up again this year. This week I’ll be shelling out for flights to Dublin for 6 nations beers with some mates over there, Albufeira for a stag do and Japan for 3 weeks of travelling and rugby World Cup games. I’ve got tickets for a couple of games from the first ballot when it was union members only, but I’ve missed out in the subsequent ballots, but get first dibs on the general sale on the 15th and hope to add a couple more. Either way, it should be an experience.

Any been and wanna share any tips on where to go that I’m not likely to find in the lonely planet guides?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the best way of carrying money in New York?

I am going in a couple of weeks and I don't really want to be carrying cash around if there is an alternative. I do not have a credit card I can use.

I have read a little bit about various 'money' cards you can use but I have heard mixed reviews.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom-Boom-18 View Post

I am going in a couple of weeks and I don't really want to be carrying cash around if there is an alternative. I do not have a credit card I can use.

I have read a little bit about various 'money' cards you can use but I have heard mixed reviews.
    Revolut.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Revolut.

We Swap is great for rates and the UI, loading etc but can be a fucker when turned down in the odd place. Others are shite on the rates. Revolut has the perfect mix, and is becoming ubiquitous.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, I am just looking into it now.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just fold it up and keep it in your shoe.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cause fanny means your arse over there, not your minge.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom-Boom-18 View Post

I've used Halifax Clarity for a while. Great credit card.

Monzo let's you withdraw Ł200 without charge per month then 3%. I've just opened transferwise and that lets you open a USD account if you want and obviously no charge there.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    Why through a travel agent? You could always try through Expedia to make it all happen. This trip has been all self booked and it's not been overly difficult.
    We were hoping to book through a travel agent, pay a deposit and then the balance later in the year. The wedding is sucking up all our disposable income at the moment.

Also depending on what you're doing they can get better rates than online, we booked a cruise for April through Planet Cruise which worked out just under Ł100 cheaper p/p than going direct through MSC.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah understood. That's why we delayed ours for a few years.

Congrats as well.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah understood. That's why we delayed ours for a few years.

Congrats as well.
    Thanks.

We are thinking now possibly to just go to one of the Caribbean Islands for a couple of weeks and going to New York for a weekend separately. Can get some bargain flights over to New York so shouldn't work out too much more expensive that way.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're not missing much if you skip Miami.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of travel agents, I was walking past one the other day and noticed an ad for a seven day cruise in June that goes Dundee - Kirkwall - Lerwick - Torshavn - Newcastle.

I've never done anything like that before, but I found the idea quite tempting. Anyone done similar?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the issue would be going on a holiday in June to places even more miserable than where I live.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking at Croatia or somewhere similar for 3 nights max around March/April time. Haven't been at all but not sure whether I should just do Dubrovnik or is somewhere else off the beaten track a bit better?

Either that or Florence/Bologna.
    Last edited by Adamski; 07-01-2019 at 03:30 PM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds an absolute blast, dino. Bring your own mead horn.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    Speaking of travel agents, I was walking past one the other day and noticed an ad for a seven day cruise in June that goes Dundee - Kirkwall - Lerwick - Torshavn - Newcastle.

I've never done anything like that before, but I found the idea quite tempting. Anyone done similar?
    I think my parents in law did something similar. Cruised around going to the Hebrides, Ireland and then into England for Liverpool. They loved it.

And the Tay is fantastic so worth seeing.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
    I'm looking at Croatia or somewhere similar for 3 nights max around March/April time. Haven't been at all but not sure whether I should just do Dubrovnik or is somewhere else off the beaten track a bit better?

Dubrovnik is great but pretty expensive.

As far as the bigger cities go I preferred Split although there's not a lot in it.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Umag will be even cheaper and much trashier, but why not

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're going to Pula in June. It looks beautiful.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn’t recommend Pula as I thought it was the worst of the big coastal towns. That said, there are beautiful places very close to it, so it works well as a base. I’d look into Premantura, Rovinj and Porec for day trips. All absolutely stunning and maybe half an hour away by car. Then there’s also Brijuni, Piran and Trieste that are all well worth a day trip.

Then again my sister loved Pula, so I might just be negative as I preferred the smaller places during our three week trip with the missus along the coast. I also got a food poisoning in Pula.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as small towns go Skradin is immense.

Plus you can get a 20 minute boat from there to the Krka waterfalls.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kotor would probably be my choice for a three day trip around there.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scrap that. We're actually staying in Rabac, Pula is just where we land.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pen View Post
    Kotor would probably be my choice for a three day trip around there.
    I'll take a look at Kotor, it is only 3 days so don't really want to be travelling on day trips within that. Just looking to chill, do some sightseeing and eat some decent food.
    Last edited by Adamski; 08-01-2019 at 09:52 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ended up booking Bologna for a weekend, looks mint. Direct flights from Edinburgh was the clincher.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you could be bothered, I'd say go to Siena. It's probably too much for a weekend but it's incredible.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had a few nights in Split and a few in Dubrovnik. The latter was a great place to visit but more touristy and expensive. Split is more traditional and it's perhaps slightly easier to do day trips from there (in fairness you can go from either). I went to Mostar, Mejugorge (sane day) and Hvar Island. The national parks are meant to be great. Pletvice I think.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plitvice is apparently the daddy of national parks there. I only went to Krka though which is also beautiful.

What we did was fly to Venice (shithole) then take a train/bus to Pula, hire a car and work down towards Dubrovnik. The coastal/mountain roads are fucking immense.

As for holiday this year, I'm going at the end of February to Dominican Republic.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I either could have gone to Plitvice or Mostar, and the history and chance to visit another country won. Ideally obviously do both in separate days. I also got the coach down from Dubrovnik to Split, which was a stunning journey.

Venice at Christmas was great a couple of years ago. Quiet and peaceful, basically. You just have to hope the canals don't flood/dry up. When I passed through in the summer, I got the train to Gorizia, a bus over the Slovenian border to Nova Gorica, and then the train up to Bled. Absolutely stunning.

A couple of children in my class go to the Dominican Republic a fair bit.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you could be bothered, I'd say go to Siena. It's probably too much for a weekend but it's incredible.
    Yeah I remember you talking about that before. I might go through to Florence for the day to see Fiorentina play, other than that I think we'll just stick to Bologna for this one. Pisa, Cinque Terre & Siena are definitely on the list though.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For Florence, book whatever you want to see ahead e.g. Michelangelo's David because the queues can be horrendous

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plitvitce is nicer than Krka in my opinion, but you can’t swim there. Mljet was also good. We went canoeing there on the in island lake.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, I'm going to the vineyards of Mendoza today and tomorrow. 3 vineyards followed by a huge lunch. Looking forward to the afternoon siesta.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Merse View Post
    Yeh I can’t imagine going to a travel agents these days.

Fair bit of travel lined up again this year. This week I’ll be shelling out for flights to Dublin for 6 nations beers with some mates over there, Albufeira for a stag do and Japan for 3 weeks of travelling and rugby World Cup games. I’ve got tickets for a couple of games from the first ballot when it was union members only, but I’ve missed out in the subsequent ballots, but get first dibs on the general sale on the 15th and hope to add a couple more. Either way, it should be an experience.

Any been and wanna share any tips on where to go that I’m not likely to find in the lonely planet guides?
    Where are you going in Japan? I've got a list I pass around for Osaka/Kyoto/Tokyo, but you'd probably find most things on my list in Lonely Planet.

Also, I'm incredibly jealous.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thinking of going to Munich around May for a long weekend. What's good there? What area would be best to stay in?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything is good there. Would find time for Dachau though if you're into that sort of thing.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Everything is good there. Would find time for Dachau though if you're into that sort of thing.
    Oh, didn't realise it was nearby. I'm going with my cousin and last time we went away was to Krakow where we went to Auschwitz.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hfswjyr View Post
    Where are you going in Japan? I've got a list I pass around for Osaka/Kyoto/Tokyo, but you'd probably find most things on my list in Lonely Planet.

Also, I'm incredibly jealous.
    I need to be in Shizuoka On the 9th for Scotland v Russia and Tokyo on the 19th for the quarter final that either Scotland or (less likely) Ireland will be in. I expect to pick another 1 or 2 tickets in the general sale next week to fill a couple of days in between too, but I’ll be looking to all three of those.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Oh, didn't realise it was nearby. I'm going with my cousin and last time we went away was to Krakow where we went to Auschwitz.

Might want to stick to the beer halls then.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mentioned it to him there, we might go anyway. Maybe go see all the concentration camps at some point.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dachau is worth a visit. There's a big Japanese garden as well. Olympic stadium is worth a visit then go to a beer garden.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Thinking of going to Munich around May for a long weekend. What's good there? What area would be best to stay in?
    Went with the wife a year ago and absolutely loved it. Good food scene and the castles nearby were well worth a visit. Everything closed ridiculously early though.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gonna probably jack New York in this year (cowardice) for a London and Dublin double-header in March. Or something.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pen View Post
    Went with the wife a year ago and absolutely loved it. Good food scene and the castles nearby were well worth a visit. Everything closed ridiculously early though.
    What, like even bars and stuff?