• Other / None

6 19.35%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: TTH Exit Poll - 2019 General Election

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I think the surprise will be this version of the Tories will try to flood those areas with money (and leave the cities to rot), but we will indeed see.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They would be better off bombing the place. I'm absolutely dumbfounded. I mean, I know we're stupid but are we really that stupid? The Tories have done absolutely nothing for us. Flintshire was first to roll out Universal Credit etc and damage the cuts done to these areas really makes me wonder what the hell people are thinking. I understood it when UKIP was a viable option but I seriously cannot fathom the reasoning behind this one other than them being uneducated cunts who blame it all on the foreigners, their lack of drugs and inability to shift their asses and work. It's a doss hole.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Ulstermen really need to stop splitting the unionist vote. lol at Jo Swinson.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bolsover going is pretty lol. It looks to me like Team Jezza will do nothing to 'own' the result as well. They will blame the newspapers and the Liberal Democrats, and then hope that Brexit isn't an issue next time round and go again.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dodds loosing his seat to a shinner

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not the first time that family have benefited from an absence of loyalist collusion.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Not the first time that family have benefited from an absence of loyalist collusion.
    Arlene doesn’t like pacts any more apparently.

Unionism is dying in NI anyway. This is another nail.

Last edited by Giggles; 13-12-2019 at 07:23 AM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best part is reddit. Flitting between despair and 'those working class types were too stupid to know what they are voting for'

Cunts.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't believe the Conservatives held Hastings.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anecdotal evidence of a few mates that they couldn't vote Labour for Corbyn (untrustworthy) and get brexit done. Next time would vote Labour.

He's killed them.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can understand a lot of the criticism of Corbyn. He's been pretty shit for the last two years. He's failed in many, many ways as a leader.

I can't understand though how so many people can say they couldn't vote for him but can vote for Boris. However bad Jeremy is (and largely I'd say he comes across as incompetent and out of his depth) surely Boris is worse.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might vote for independence when it comes around.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Australia is still far far far to the right of the UK.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeldoow View Post
    I can understand a lot of the criticism of Corbyn. He's been pretty shit for the last two years. He's failed in many, many ways as a leader.

I can't understand though how so many people can say they couldn't vote for him but can vote for Boris. However bad Jeremy is (and largely I'd say he comes across as incompetent and out of his depth) surely Boris is worse.
    This is exactly the Hillary v. Trump discussions. Somehow you know what you’re getting with Trump, even if the what you’re getting is a lot worse.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smjffy View Post
    Nope. Mark Tami just held on but who cares. Independent Wales it is.
    Not a chance that happens.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swinson lost her seat?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's because we have been overloaded with foreigners over the last 10-15 years, job cuts left right and centre, more food bins than shops and places like Caia Park which really are the dregs of society but the whole area is the pits. There are no words but as I say, fuck them. Labour was best of a bad bunch.
    2018: Britain has a joint record high employment rate of 75.6% with 32.39 million people now in work according to the latest official statistics. 2019's statistics have this at 76%.

3.7% unemployment, although 7% is seen as a more accurate suggestion. Are there job cuts left and right? Absolutely. The high street's decline has been decades long, at this point. We don't manufacture like we used to. As for immigration, Britain will always be an attractive place for immigrants. As for the food bins, I hate that they've stuck around too. I can't deny Durham's gotten trampier over the past five years.

At least this defeat fucks Corbyn off into the sunset.

EDIT: Holy shit. The North really did turn. Only Durham held out because of the student vote.
    Last edited by Shindig; 13-12-2019 at 08:46 AM.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Swinson lost her seat?
    You’re welcome.

A United Ireland and independent Scotland needs to happen pronto. What a shit show.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s also a bit shambolic Nicola Sturgeon being the best leader by a country mile. Get Liverpool added with Scotland whilst we’re dreaming.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But surely you have no idea what you're getting with Boris? He lies all the time and says different things to different people.

Already the discussion seems to have started on how a big majority might change how he approached Brexit, and he's banging on about being a One Nation Tory a couple of months after booting most of the One Nation Tories out the party?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Corbyn had stood on a platform of increased spending in public services, perhaps with small tax rises, and a commitment to leaving the EU, he'd have won. He didn't. He wanted a return to some dystopian collectivism of the past.

People haven't voted for Boris (although I do think he is electorally quite popular) per se. They have voted against a (perceived) bigger threat. Most people just want a competent government, and one threatening to uproot the fabric of society/the economy probably doesn't scream of that.

It'll be interesting to see where this government goes. Boris really isn't some extremist demagogue. He was the mayor of liberal liberal London for pity's sake. I could well see them trying to shift to a much more centrist position in terms of public spending etc to try and pin the left out on the momentum wing forever. It'll be interesting to see where they go with their next leader. If it's one of those hectoring young women MPs, well, I can't see that going too well.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But surely you have no idea what you're getting with Boris? He lies all the time and says different things to different people.

Already the discussion seems to have started on how a big majority might change how he approached Brexit, and he's banging on about being a One Nation Tory a couple of months after booting most of the One Nation Tories out the party?
    You know you're getting BREXIT and for most people everything else didn't matter.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know you're getting whatever passes for Brexit, which he hasn't lied about at all, and it's what people wanted.

The people's vote/second referendum/scrapping article 50 was rejected and these whinging fucks need to shut up and get on with it now. They've fucked it twice, and Cummings is bang on with this, they're just making it worse.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's stuff like this I don't get. We've had a Tory government for the past decade. None of this is new. The only difference is the haircut on the podium.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really.

The Cameron coalition did very little (other than cut, be they necessary or not), and wasn't really a Conservative government (other than being shit if that's your perspective), and they totally fucked the 2015 win with the EU thing, which May made worse. It feels like there hasn't really been a functioning government able to deliver on its manifesto for the best part of the decade. They'll have to do something positive in this term or it'll be 10 years out for them next time. Unless Labour stick Jeremy's son in charge.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    You know you're getting whatever passes for Brexit, which he hasn't lied about at all, and it's what people wanted.

...the former foreign secretary made clear fresh regulatory and customs checks in the Irish Sea would not happen on his watch.

“I have to tell you no British Conservative government could or should sign up to any such arrangement,” he said to cheers from the audience.
    https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...-38605593.html

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    Not really.

The Cameron coalition did very little (other than cut, be they necessary or not), and wasn't really a Conservative government (other than being shit if that's your perspective), and they totally fucked the 2015 win with the EU thing, which May made worse. It feels like there hasn't really been a functioning government able to deliver on its manifesto for the best part of the decade. They'll have to do something positive in this term or it'll be 10 years out for them next time. Unless Labour stick Jeremy's son in charge.
    I mean, they did try to boost wages with the national living wage, changes to income tax, etc. You're right, though. The majority aren't feeling it, Cameron got complacent and May stepped in with her worst possible foot forward. It's a Tory majority government for the first time since the 90s? I'd be fascinated to see how Boris can banish austerity whilst taking the inevitable hit from Brexit.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I meant in the context of saying he'd respect the referendum result and get it done.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This Lee Anderson fella who's got in in Ashby sounds like a laugh.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Labour's biggest problem for me is one of tone. The way they seem to approach things revolves around anger, bitterness and calling people racist. No one goes for that. Blair didn't build his massive election-winning vote coalition with fury and wanting to tear things down. He built it by smiling and being positive.

Caroline Lucas's winning speech overnight was, in this vein, the worst and most ill-judged response imaginable.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swinson's departure speech was very 'smacked arse' as well. NATIONALISM!

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    2018: Britain has a joint record high employment rate of 75.6% with 32.39 million people now in work according to the latest official statistics. 2019's statistics have this at 76%.

3.7% unemployment, although 7% is seen as a more accurate suggestion. Are there job cuts left and right? Absolutely. The high street's decline has been decades long, at this point. We don't manufacture like we used to. As for immigration, Britain will always be an attractive place for immigrants. As for the food bins, I hate that they've stuck around too. I can't deny Durham's gotten trampier over the past five years.

At least this defeat fucks Corbyn off into the sunset.

EDIT: Holy shit. The North really did turn. Only Durham held out because of the student vote.
    I was referring specifically to my area and it's more down to Brexit than a dislike of Corbyn and his manifesto. If there had been a second referendum then Wales would have still overwhelmingly voted leave and my only hope is that it's a necessary evil just to get it done but at what cost. I have my doubts as some people just can't accept that people want to leave the European Union.

Being a 'Leaver' myself, I still went for Labour because it was the lesser of all evils in my eyes and if they had taken the possibility of remaining off the table instead of basically saying they would negotiate a new deal then actively campaign against it they would have done better. Labour lost seats but not by massive numbers. If Plaid Cymru was a bit more focused on Wales as a whole instead of the actual Welsh speaking areas then I think they might have done better but it's a nothing party.

Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    If Corbyn had stood on a platform of increased spending in public services, perhaps with small tax rises, and a commitment to leaving the EU, he'd have won. He didn't. He wanted a return to some dystopian collectivism of the past.

People haven't voted for Boris (although I do think he is electorally quite popular) per se. They have voted against a (perceived) bigger threat. Most people just want a competent government, and one threatening to uproot the fabric of society/the economy probably doesn't scream of that.
    Pretty much this tbh.

The people's vote/second referendum/scrapping article 50 was rejected and these whinging fucks need to shut up and get on with it now. They've fucked it twice, and Cummings is bang on with this, they're just making it worse.
    It should never have been on the table to scrap anyway. I feel like people like myself who voted leave were really hung out to dry by Labour.

What really pisses me off is once again Wales gets something it didn't vote for but alas, what can you do but accept it and crack on. I'm so glad I don't rely on the government all too much but those who do, and there are many, they will come to rue their decision.

Fuck it. It's all done and dusted so yeah. I doubt Brexit will ever get done.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    Swinson's departure speech was very 'smacked arse' as well. NATIONALISM!
    One of the few silver linings of the result as she is evil and completely un-electable in my opinion.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nail on head here.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every election people in various places get things they didn't vote for. It's called multiparty democracy.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it's being discussed to death every time a UK election rolls around, but the first-past-the-post system is extremely fascinating to me, as in how unrepresentative the results can seem.

The Lib Dems actually have 11.5% of the vote share, are, percentage-wise, the biggest winners of the election with a gain of over 4%, yet they have lost 10 seats and ended up with 11 out of 650. Being a Lib Dem politician in this system must feel pretty pointless sometimes.
    Last edited by Serj; 13-12-2019 at 11:08 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone seen an overall vote share % vs seat share % yet?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there had been a second referendum then Wales would have still overwhelmingly voted leave and my only hope is that it's a necessary evil just to get it done but at what cost.
    Well, Wales did that the first time round. And Scotland. And Northern Ireland. England decides. That'd be the ticket for independence, really.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Serj View Post
    I know it's being discussed to death every time a UK election rolls around, but the first-past-the-post system is extremely fascinating to me, as in how unrepresentative the results can seem.

The Lib Dems actually have 11.5% of the vote share, are, percentage-wise, the biggest winners of the election with a gain of over 4%, yet they have lost 10 seats and ended up with 11 out of 650. Being a Lib Dem politician in this system must feel pretty pointless sometimes.
    It fucks small, thinly-spread parties but that is also its greatest strength. If we had PR then the Brexit party would have won 15+% of the vote and would hold the balance of power, whereas the SNP would be a completely irrelevant nothingness on 4%. As it is, they can provide a strong representation for the part of the country that voted for them in large numbers.

Personally I think FPTP works very well in the UK as we are such a thoroughly diverse country. If you go to Denmark or Austria then it is probably a lot more homogeneous even if there are regional variatons, so PR makes sense there.
    Last edited by Jimmy Floyd; 13-12-2019 at 12:07 PM.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm seeing a lot of hand-wringing about Our Precious Union, as if leaving the European Union doesn't make Scottish independence even more impractical than it was in 2014. Every question that cost them then becomes almost impossible once we're out. I think any second referendum up there would be even more decisive.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shame Frank Field went under the party machine, but seeing the rest of the tiggers/turncoat wankers getting turfed out is pretty lol.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #tacticalvoting had an absolute field day in various London seats as well. Take Kensington:

Con 16,768
    Lab 16,618
    LD 9,312

All aboard the tactics truck.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cities of London & Westminster

Conservative - Nickie Aiken Votes: 17,049
    Liberal Democrat - Chuka Umunna Votes: 13,096
    Labour - Gordon Nardell Votes: 11,624

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Similarly, why did the Green Party even contest this election beyond Brighton?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just hope this isn't the end of Grace Blakeley and the fit Indian one on our screens.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main problem in the #RemainAlliance seemed to be that Labour categorically wouldn't stand aside anywhere, and so they didn't see why they should reciprocate. Even in my manor Labour still got two and a half thousand votes (Raab won by 2,800 in the end - orange diamonds going in landfill shortly).

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did Farage's lot do the Tories more harm than good in the end? A few of the seats I saw come in last night would have [presumably] swung from Labour to Conservative if the Brexit Party candidate hadn't stood.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They also won seats because the Nigel Party took thousands of Labour votes (they nearly cost them East Hull which would have been unbelievable), so it probably balances out across the board since the leave vote wouldn't necessarily have broke their way (as in 2017).

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing that is wrong is that Corbyn is dogshit.

If you can't see that after this result then I don't know what more evidence you need.
    He is not dogshit. He faced an unprecedented campaign of abuse from both the media and from his own party from the moment he got the job.
    What he is is a principled guy who built the membership quite remarkably and ran on great policies. He fell down on Brexit very badly and in general was probably unsuited for leadership, lacking somewhat in charisma and in political smarts. One hopes that whoever takes over retains at least some of the good stuff and doesn't revert to centrist technocracy. Otherwise what is the fucking point?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Other thoughts.

There is an almighty battle forthcoming between the Tories and SNP on Scottish Independence. And in addition to being essentially left behind in the EU, Northern Ireland has just returned more nationalist MP's than unionist MP's for the first time ever. (Nigel Dodds lost his seat LOL.) So the precious union is fucked.

Regarding the NHS, no, they won't "sell the NHS to Donald Trump", that's an oversimplification for electioneering.
    But - while maintaining the principle that it's free at the point of access - they will sell bits of it off to be run privately. They will agree new rules that allow pharmaceuticals to charge it higher prices. They will underfund it. They will agree to secret investor-state courts where American corporations can sue for not getting access to the market. They will make private healthcare more appealing to those who can afford it.
    And when all's said and done, and it's gone to shit and everyone is angry about it, then they will sell it off. It's always the same playbook.

Boris is just a chancer I suppose but he's surrounded by all of these hard right scumbags. I can't decide who is worse between Raab, Patel & IDS.
    Some are suggesting he'll pivot to the centre and we'll have a softer Brexit. I hope so, because the suspicion is that these pricks and those who finance them are interested in wrecking things because they can make a few quid from it. The notion that they'll go over the cliff edge if they don't have a trade deal in 11 months supports this.